Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

blz is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Are protein shakes good for guys with Gilbert's syndrome?

Hey folks,

i've been doing swimming and athletics for 3 years and for 6 months i've been hitting the gym. I'm 184 cm(about 6 feet) tall and my weight is about 72-74kg(164 pounds).

I have a fast metabolism, meaning that i can eat like 5 times a day and still burn it off. I never seem to achieve to go above 75KG.

About 2 years go i found out that i have gylbert's syndrome which is a liver disease(they say it's inherited)

Gilbert's syndrome produces an elevated level of unconjugated bilirubin in the bloodstream but normally has no serious consequences. Mild jaundice may appear under conditions of exertion, stress, fasting, and infections, but the condition is otherwise usually asymptomatic. [4][5]

It has been reported that GS may contribute to an accelerated onset of neonatal jaundice[6
    More at wiki -> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert%27s_syndrome

My main goal is to gain weight and with it body muscle, so far i've only achieved to become more fibrous.

My question would be: would drinking protein shakes(not in an exaggerated matter) cause issues for me & my liver?

Please only answer if you can give a precise answer, if you are not sure, please dont.

Thanks,
    Tom

blz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    C'mon, really no one has experienced this issue?

Stats: 5'8", 151 lbs
    KOMED has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KOMED has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KOMED has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KOMED has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KOMED has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KOMED has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KOMED has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KOMED has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KOMED has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KOMED has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KOMED has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit KOMED's BodySpace
    You should goto your doctor to ask these types of questions...

drgop1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't see any contradictions that indicate any serious issues. GS inability to conjugate bilirubin to uridine doesn't affect the ability of the liver to perform its normal functions. Also, by drinking protein you are not in any way interfering with this process. If you eat 5 times a day, as you say, i imagine you already having a good amount of protein in your diet, so if you have not had any problems so far i don't see why you will ever have them. If you are still concern, start small and increase slowly noting for any changes. If you jaundice worsens that could be sign to stop. On the other hand strenuous exercise can worsen GS due to red blood cell turnover rate, so go slow, increase slow and live happily ever after.

****this is in no way professional medical advise, please visit your gastroenterologist to obtain professional information*******

Originally Posted by blz View Post
    Hey folks,

i've been doing swimming and athletics for 3 years and for 6 months i've been hitting the gym. I'm 184 cm(about 6 feet) tall and my weight is about 72-74kg(164 pounds).

I have a fast metabolism, meaning that i can eat like 5 times a day and still burn it off. I never seem to achieve to go above 75KG.

About 2 years go i found out that i have gylbert's syndrome which is a liver disease(they say it's inherited)

My main goal is to gain weight and with it body muscle, so far i've only achieved to become more fibrous.

My question would be: would drinking protein shakes(not in an exaggerated matter) cause issues for me & my liver?

Please only answer if you can give a precise answer, if you are not sure, please dont.

Thanks,
    Tom

ts417 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hey man i have gilberts too and am beating treated by a dietician his whole treatment is based on my body's inability to process sulfur example i was drinking protein shake with a lot of methionine that and cysteine are aminos with sulfur

Thanks,
    Tom[/QUOTE]

Stats: 5'10", 205 lbs
    mtpaquette has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtpaquette has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtpaquette has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtpaquette has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtpaquette has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtpaquette has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtpaquette has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtpaquette has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtpaquette has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtpaquette has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtpaquette has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit mtpaquette's BodySpace
    Stop swimming and/or doing an excessive amount of cardio and gaining weight will become easier. Protein shakes are just a filler. Just eat more meat and then there will be no need for protein powders. If you're not gaining then you're not eating enough end of story.
    MAN Sports Lead Rep

*PR-XT + Nolvadren XT + Na DAA (recomp log: final review/noodz)*
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157603383&p=1184573441&viewfull=1#post1184573441

Disclaimer: The statement above reflects that of my own opinion and in no way that of MAN Sports. Our products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Supplement a good diet: don't diet on supplements.