wmorris3825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wmorris3825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wmorris3825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wmorris3825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wmorris3825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wmorris3825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wmorris3825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wmorris3825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wmorris3825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wmorris3825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wmorris3825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Is it bad to work out every day?

So I workout 7 days a week. I understand that working out the same routine every day is bad because your muscles have no time for recovery. I have a split routine that looks like this
    Day 1: Biceps, Forearms & Abs
    Day 2: Chest & Triceps
    Day 3: Legs & Abs
    Day 4: Back
    Day 5: Shoulders & Abs
    Repeat

So yes its every day but I am giving my self recovery time, just not all at once. I just want to know if this is a bad way to go or not. I dont want to have to stop working out every day, but if it would be more beneficial then I will.

asto_86 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asto_86 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asto_86 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asto_86 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asto_86 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asto_86 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asto_86 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asto_86 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asto_86 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asto_86 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asto_86 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by wmorris3825 View Post
    So I workout 7 days a week. I understand that working out the same routine every day is bad because your muscles have no time for recovery. I have a split routine that looks like this
    Repeat

So yes its every day but I am giving my self recovery time, just not all at once. I just want to know if this is a bad way to go or not. I dont want to have to stop working out every day, but if it would be more beneficial then I will.
    your body grows when you rest.. i see no rest there, your body will not be growing.
    You will prolly feel the effects of overtrain in about 2 weeks if you keep it up. Rest is good, rest is your friend.. Abs are no different than any other muscle, no need to work them out any more then everything else. but if you really cant help it.. do upper abs on day one and lower abs on day 4.. and put a minimum of a day of rest btween all those days.
    my .02

Edge118 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge118 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge118 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge118 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge118 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge118 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge118 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge118 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge118 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge118 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge118 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by wmorris3825 View Post
    Repeat

I would throw 2 rest days in there so you're working each body part once a week.

THE HEAVY IRON SQUAD,CUZZ ygbodybuilder10's Avatar
    ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    well since i'm cutting i'm i'm working out 6 days a week

usally 5 days a week when bulking

Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Edge118 View Post
    I would throw 2 rest days in there so you're working each body part once a week.
    A week is an arbitrary unit of time as far as your body is concerned.

Some people can workout a muscle every ten days, some every five, some every three and so on - it depends on your nutrition, genetics and rest.

rodolfopv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rodolfopv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rodolfopv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rodolfopv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rodolfopv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rodolfopv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rodolfopv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rodolfopv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rodolfopv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rodolfopv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rodolfopv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd suggest you to take at least 1 day of rest at the end of the cycle.....just if you're not into something like the superaccumulation program by poliquin or similar..

prittycuul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prittycuul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prittycuul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prittycuul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prittycuul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prittycuul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prittycuul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prittycuul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prittycuul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prittycuul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prittycuul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

this is my work out, tell me if its ok

day 1- 3 sets of 12 on bench press, 3 sets of 12 bicep curls and 2 sets of 12 dumbell flys then after 20 mins of running

day 2- push ups total of 200 and situps total of 300 but not at once just alternating. then after run 20mins

it will go like this monday through saturday then rest on sundays.

drmoses has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So if you're on a resting day, does that mean no cardio as well? Nothing at all?

DiesalXx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I work out 7 days a week normally, on "rest" days I'll do cardio or sometimes even just relax and let loose. I haven't had any problems with gains or breaking plateaus at all, at the moment at least.

Thanks very much! That's what I was hoping to hear. Does it matter how long the cardio work out is?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    ANYONE can work out almost every day IF they learn to modulate intensity appropriately.

You may also need some time to ramp up your capacity for doing work. You'll have to have some days that are more like cardio than anything. Doing light high reps etc. If you try to keep the same level of intensity across all days, it will likely be too low to produce much adaptation.

Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    ANYONE can work out almost every day IF they learn to modulate intensity appropriately.

You may also need some time to ramp up your capacity for doing work. You'll have to have some days that are more like cardio than anything. Doing light high reps etc. If you try to keep the same level of intensity across all days, it will likely be too low to produce much adaptation.
    This this this. We always hear of a million ways You could overtrain and people get way too cautious about training as if it's a list of laundry to do. Alot of my training sessions last way more than 90 minutes and i would try to train on consecutive days. However You have to approach it with some structure as well. Obviously if i'm going balls-to-the-walls with heavy weights and high intensity no way it will take 90 minutes, and no way i'm Going to keep this up for several days in a row.

So i mix things up. Sometimes i kill it with alot of compound movements and drop sets, short rest time and Blood & Gut it out, take a day off next day and do it again. Other times i'll Focus more on the quality of the contractions, slightly longer rest periods, more isolation work, capacity to train consecutively obviously increases.
    "All your life you are told the things you cannot do.They will say you're not good enough or strong enough or talented enough; they will say you're the wrong height or the wrong weight to play this or be this or achieve this. They will tell you no, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. All your life they will tell you no, quite firmly & very quickly....
    ...but you will tell them yes."

Originally Posted by Jummyking View Post
    This this this. We always hear of a million ways You could overtrain and people get way too cautious about training as if it's a list of laundry to do. Alot of my training sessions last way more than 90 minutes and i would try to train on consecutive days. However You have to approach it with some structure as well. Obviously if i'm going balls-to-the-walls with heavy weights and high intensity no way it will take 90 minutes, and no way i'm Going to keep this up for several days in a row.

So i mix things up. Sometimes i kill it with alot of compound movements and drop sets, short rest time and Blood & Gut it out, take a day off next day and do it again. Other times i'll Focus more on the quality of the contractions, slightly longer rest periods, more isolation work, capacity to train consecutively obviously increases.
    So do you have rest and cardo only days? If so what days of the week are they typically?

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Is it bad to work out every day?

Not when you are much bigger and stronger and know what you are doing.

In the meantime:

Pick a good program designed by someone who knows something about programming for beginners.

There are a few mentioned in my sig. There are a few in the stickies.

Do the program as designed. You are not knowledgeable enough yet to modify it. Eat a calorie surplus sufficient to sustain the gains of muscle and poundage progression( regular increases in weight on the bar) for reps as long as possible.

Lift well and prosper.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    Not when you are much bigger and stronger and know what you are doing.

In the meantime:

Pick a good program designed by someone who knows something about programming for beginners.

There are a few mentioned in my sig. There are a few in the stickies.

Do the program as designed. You are not knowledgeable enough yet to modify it. Eat a calorie surplus sufficient to sustain the gains of muscle and poundage progression( regular increases in weight on the bar) for reps as long as possible.

Lift well and prosper.
    Sounds good. Thanks for responding.

Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jummyking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by drmoses View Post
    So do you have rest and cardo only days? If so what days of the week are they typically?
    There are days when i Just decided not to do anything physically demanding and just rested like a lazy slob. Usually after a period of intense training (like a few days straight of training), or if i happen not to be able to get enough sleep. On some rest days i may actually feel good enough to do some light cardio. Which is beneficial to help in recovery, along with the usual cardio benefits. So i might hop on stationary bike or walk on the treadmill on an incline setting, or just walking home (1 hour walk) instead of taking transport or car.

What i'd Suggest, just like what jgreystoke mentioned, pick a routine in the stickies. Do them and worry about the things You ought to worry about right now, which is lifting techniques, muscle control, your diet, rest...

You will progress and (if not You up Your calories, etc) once You get more advanced You will know what You can customize and what You can do and what You can get away not doing.
    "All your life you are told the things you cannot do.They will say you're not good enough or strong enough or talented enough; they will say you're the wrong height or the wrong weight to play this or be this or achieve this. They will tell you no, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. All your life they will tell you no, quite firmly & very quickly....
    ...but you will tell them yes."

Originally Posted by Jummyking View Post
    There are days when i Just decided not to do anything physically demanding and just rested like a lazy slob. Usually after a period of intense training (like a few days straight of training), or if i happen not to be able to get enough sleep. On some rest days i may actually feel good enough to do some light cardio. Which is beneficial to help in recovery, along with the usual cardio benefits. So i might hop on stationary bike or walk on the treadmill on an incline setting, or just walking home (1 hour walk) instead of taking transport or car.

What i'd Suggest, just like what jgreystoke mentioned, pick a routine in the stickies. Do them and worry about the things You ought to worry about right now, which is lifting techniques, muscle control, your diet, rest...

You will progress and (if not You up Your calories, etc) once You get more advanced You will know what You can customize and what You can do and what You can get away not doing.
    Ok great advise, thanks much. I'll keep doing what i'm doing and when I plateau, I'll come back for some more advise. Take care.