ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question joining the air force, and afraid to do cardio

I have recently joined the air force, and have some concerns about the physical activity. I know that running will be a daily part of the days, and as I am already small, and try to stay away from cardio because I burn too much fat, how can I handle this during basic? I was thinking the best thing to do is to start weight lifting first before I go in so I can build up some muscle, but as I recently found out on here, cardio can destroy any muscle built if you're already small. So I am confused, if I up my calories more on cardio days will that prevent me from losing muscle? Of course during basic, you don't always have that option, you get up and then run, so what can I do? I'm going I just have to figure out how to handle this. I have about 2 months before I go, yikes!

futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's a myth at "cardio destroys muscle." it's the NOT eating enough that makes that happen. When you run, run hard-- sprint to the finish and you may even build muscle. (though this would be hard if you are a "hard gainer" type)

You will need to eat more. Since you are small and have a fast metabolism eat about 80-110 calories extra for every mile of *hard* running.
    Last edited by futurebird; 06-04-2009 at 09:46 AM.
    TOO BIG TO FAIL.

futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Also don't forget to work your arms hard-- if you run a lot and never work your arms they WILL waste away.
    Last edited by futurebird; 06-04-2009 at 09:42 AM.
    TOO BIG TO FAIL.

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Being ectomorphic, it's best to limit the amount of cardio you do and try to get in and out of the gym pretty quickly, period (do what's needed to stimulate growth and jet!). It's not that, based simply on your size, "cardio destroys muscle." Steady state, long duration (over 30-45 minutes depending on the person) cardio does put you in a catabolic state, but a great deal of how much that will effect you comes down to nutrition and meal timing.

If you have a problem gaining size, cardio is an additonal waste of energy if you don't have to do it. If you DO have to do it, you need to eat to cover the extra activity AND enough beyond that to put on muscle. So don't worry. You'll be fine. Just EAT.
    Last edited by Amanda76; 06-04-2009 at 10:01 AM.

ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by futurebird View Post
    It's a myth at "cardio destroys muscle." it's the NOT eating enough that makes that happen. When you run, run hard-- sprint to the finish and you may even build muscle. (though this would be hard if you are a "hard gainer" type)

You will need to eat more. Since you are small and have a fast metabolism eat about 80-110 calories extra for every mile of *hard* running.
    Ah ok, that's what I will do, sprint, so I can get it over and done with Then eat my butt off, lol. What are the proper kinds of food to eat after running, I know carbs are good for energy, but do I need protein too, since I am trying to build muscle?

Originally Posted by Amanda76 View Post
    Being ectomorphic, it's best to limit the amount of cardio you do and try to get in and out of the gym pretty quickly, period (do what's needed to stimulate growth and jet!). It's not that, based simply on your size, "cardio destroys muscle." Steady state, long duration (30-45 minutes depending on the person) cardio does put you in a catabolic state, but a great deal of how much that will effect you comes down to nutrition and meal timing.

If you have a problem gaining size, cardio is an additonal waste of energy if you don't have to do it. If you DO have to do it, you need to eat to cover the extra activity AND enough beyond that to put on muscle. So don't worry. You'll be fine. Just EAT.
    Ok I am starting to understand what I did wrong, I spent too much time on the treadmill, 25 minutes, and went too slow, the highest I went was 4 which was more of a fast jog for me. I am definitely an ectomorph, so I needed to do 15 minutes tops and probably at a speed like 6 or 7. Yea I have heard that before get in and out, lift heavy and low reps right? Is this really the best way to gain muscle, size, because I read on this forum that heavy weight and low reps are for strength building, of course I want both, but size is more important to me right now. Is there a way I can get both tho? OK, so should I just try to go for 2,500 calories to cover the activity? I really have to get my nutrition numbers right, I know that's the key to everything.

Post run try milk. It has carbs and protein and will replace what you burned. And yes, do avoid slow low-intensity cardio. The only thing that's good for is building endurance or fat loss for us "bigger ones."
    TOO BIG TO FAIL.

Originally Posted by futurebird View Post
    Post run try milk. It has carbs and protein and will replace what you burned. And yes, do avoid slow low-intensity cardio. The only thing that's good for is building endurance or fat loss for us "bigger ones."
    hm, milk, but I am lactose intolerant tho I've tried soy milk before, but that didn't help much, maybe I will just have to drink the milk and deal with discomfort, because I can't think of anything else that they might have at basic training. I would say a protein shake, but that's not an option there, lol. Is there anything else I could try? High intensity, got it thank you so much.

MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000)
    at basic you will have to suck it up...
    your giong to run a lot....and they are giong ot make you eat fast and tell you what you can eat
    ~Proud Army Veteran, proud Army wife, Proud supporter of our military~

"Right now is not your fate, only your state."

"Drink water and drive on"

~Aim for the stars, you might catch a cloud. Aim only for the clouds, you will catch the top of a tree~

~~I love my husband, I love my daughter, I am blessed ever day to have them~~

varza is on a distinguished road. (+10) varza is on a distinguished road. (+10) varza is on a distinguished road. (+10) varza is on a distinguished road. (+10) varza is on a distinguished road. (+10) varza is on a distinguished road. (+10) varza is on a distinguished road. (+10) varza is on a distinguished road. (+10) varza is on a distinguished road. (+10) varza is on a distinguished road. (+10) varza is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You need to look up military workouts and just start doing those so your body can get used to them. When you are in basic you will be getting your basic food groups.

Try chocolate soy milk - it will be fine. The chocolate will be good for your post workout as well.
    Never Assume the Obvious is True

burpee count - 48

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ADDicted2Fit View Post
    Ok I am starting to understand what I did wrong, I spent too much time on the treadmill, 25 minutes, and went too slow, the highest I went was 4 which was more of a fast jog for me. I am definitely an ectomorph, so I needed to do 15 minutes tops and probably at a speed like 6 or 7. Yea I have heard that before get in and out, lift heavy and low reps right? Is this really the best way to gain muscle, size, because I read on this forum that heavy weight and low reps are for strength building, of course I want both, but size is more important to me right now. Is there a way I can get both tho? OK, so should I just try to go for 2,500 calories to cover the activity? I really have to get my nutrition numbers right, I know that's the key to everything.
    Again, what you think happened to your legs has nothing to do with your run on...Sunday, was it? ONE 25 minute workout does not have that kind of impact on your body. If you eat enough to cover 25 minutes of cardio on a daily basis, you'll be fine. If you eat enough to cover an hour's worth of cardio you're forced to do in basic, all will not be lost. You'll be doing tons of bodyweight exercises there too. It's a different stimulus than you're used to you'll likely make a lot of newbie gains in basic so long as you don't eat like a bird.

My saying it would be best to limit your cardio does not mean that you can't reach your mass-gain goals doing a bit of it...it's just not the most efficient way to get there. My mentioning it in this thread was just an attempt to clarify why you're going to be told slightly different things in this thread than in a thread geared directly toward building muscle.
    Last edited by Amanda76; 06-04-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Jrzimmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrzimmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrzimmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrzimmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrzimmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrzimmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrzimmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrzimmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrzimmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrzimmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrzimmer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Going along with what metal mommy said you're going to have to run and suck it up...however.... if you're 106 you'll prob be on the skinny kid program and eat away from everyone else. this means eating more, and you get more time...not for sure but it may happen.
    Motivation. Dedication. Inspiration. ~ Three words to live by.

There comes a point in your life when you realize
    who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will..
    So, don't worry about people from your past, there?s a reason why they didn't make it to your future.