MehGerbil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Morning Workouts: Can this work?

I'm finding that my ability to work out in the evenings isn't what it used to be -- I'm just too damn tired at the end of the day to have the will power I need. I could use some advice from people who work out in the morning.

I'm trying to put on muscle mass.

Do I need to eat first (I have limited time)?
    Advice from those who do this appreciated.

Thanks

Threadweaver- Psyche Hero hochspeyer's Avatar
    hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MehGerbil View Post
    I'm finding that my ability to work out in the evenings isn't what it used to be -- I'm just too damn tired at the end of the day to have the will power I need. I could use some advice from people who work out in the morning.

Thanks
    Forgive me if this seems odd, but by morning you mean before work? I work at night, so working out in the morning is the best thing for me. I never really was able to get into workouts before work, though- I feel there's a time constraint put on me. When I use the end of my "day," I can take the time to do things correctly, and if I want (like today, for example) I can do a completely new type of workout- and the new workout is much better, but it takes more time, because I have to move a piece of small aerobic equipment a few times to get in all of my sets.

frank_s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks
    I've been working out in the morning for the past 4 years. I've heard that it's a good idea to eat something beforehand but I don't because it makes me feel sluggish and sometimes gives me stomach cramps. Although I drink a protein shake after my workout. I've bulked up before and have never had an issue.

pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I work out in the morning.

Usually in the gym by 6:45AM as the gym is in my work place.

I just feel so much better after a morning workout and can cope with the day better.

I think too, one is less tired by days end after a morning workout.

Tough as hell though in winter to be out the door at 5AM

asksmith will become famous soon enough. (+50) asksmith will become famous soon enough. (+50) asksmith will become famous soon enough. (+50) asksmith will become famous soon enough. (+50) asksmith will become famous soon enough. (+50) asksmith will become famous soon enough. (+50) asksmith will become famous soon enough. (+50) asksmith will become famous soon enough. (+50) asksmith will become famous soon enough. (+50) asksmith will become famous soon enough. (+50) asksmith will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Eat something small, like a piece of fruit, that you can eat on the way there.

I'm out the door at 4:40am. I eat an apple on the way there, as well as take a 200mg caffeine pill.

Afterwards, I drink a meal replacement shake on the way to work. I usually eat several small meals throughout the day also.

Thanks for the input.

I'd like to try working out in the mornings right after I get out of bed. With my busy schedule and constant interruptions I'm getting frustrated because it seems as if in the evening "something" is always coming up. With two teenage daughters and other distractions it is all too easy to get to the end of the week having done nothing at all.

Several small protien rich meals during the day are no problemo.

It also helps that I'm able to be in bed by 9:00pm most nights so a 5:00am wake up call shouldn't be a huge issue. In fact, I've found that by working out at the end of the day not only am I tired but by the time I do get home being at the gym has me "pumped up" and its hard to fall asleep - even while tired - which is a cruel biological joke that has me as the punchline.

My hesitation at this point is that I've done some reading that person may burn muscle tissue during a morning workout so it's important to eat first - or so I've read. Given that I have a slight belly roll going here I don't know if that will really be a problem or not. I could eat a small amount of fruit or cereal and give it 15 minutes before I hit the gym. Thoughts?

jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Up at 4:20AM, banging on the gym doors at 5:00AM (when they open).

Morning workouts are the only time I can consistently be there and get on a solid routine, because of work and family obligations. It has the added benefit of being "done" first thing in the morning, and having one less thing on my to-do list.

As far as nutrition goes, I eat every 3 hours and don't worry much about the pre-post workout meal stuff. I do eat before I go to the gym.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I train at about 5:20AM, M-Th. I have trained in the PM and afternoons and I feel good at those times. But, if you like evenings off and the mental relief of getting it done, mornings are great.

It is tough getting up early, but I would have it no other way.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I use to work second shift for many years. I had to work out in the morning.
    I would take only my caffeine pills and off to the gym I went.

I don't think it hurt me at all by not eating beforehand.

Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You'll have to find out what your stomach can tolerate, but I'm fine eating pretty much anything before an early workout and I feel a lot better with some food in my system. My typical pre-workout breakfast 30 minutes before lifting is:

1 scoop of whey in a shake
    Bowl of multigrain cheerios
    banana, or lately, I've been doing 20g waxy maize in my shake instead.
    Coffee!

paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have the opposite problem. Usually work out in the pm and have no problems. Every 4th week have to work the night shift and have to cram the workouts in the morning.

Usually find it a battle, but minimise the weak feelings with a really good quality sleep and although it hurts a good breakfast before trying to lift heavy weights. Seems good sleep and food makes all the difference.

weigesco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weigesco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weigesco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weigesco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weigesco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weigesco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weigesco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weigesco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weigesco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weigesco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weigesco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just started morning workouts again. I had been working out over my lunch break for the last 9 months and am glad that I am now able to go first thing in the morning. It seems to wake me up and give me more energy throughout the day. I usually have a no sugar instant breakfast with a glass of milk and some wheat toast or hardboiled eggs just before I run out the door. Then I drink my protein shake with more eggs or kashi cereal right after my workout.
    Cardio is best done 1st thing in the morning before your brain figures out what's going on.

weigesco

murphy12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) murphy12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) murphy12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) murphy12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) murphy12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) murphy12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) murphy12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) murphy12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) murphy12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) murphy12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) murphy12 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    6 AM workouts is what worked for me. I was in the same boat as you. Too tired to go afterwork, and to easy to make excuses.

Only take a protien shake prior to workout, eat larger breakfast after. If I want to lose wieght, skip the shake prior and workout on empty stomach. Its tuff at first, but worth it to lose a few lbs. (if that's what your after)
    Life's too short not to have a great body.

OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000)
    I am by no means qualified to give an answer but that has never stopped me before lol.
    I have seen fitty post about the importance of a very good last meal of the day if you lift in the morning before eating. I personally have to eat something first. Especially if I am lifting heavy. I get sick feeling and start belching and burping like crazy. Almost like reverse paristalsis(sp). If I do squats on an empty stomach I get dry heaves.

filipino_muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) filipino_muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

main reason I a.m. workout

Thanks
    Initially it's to get it out of the way. Also, I hate crowds and 'hang-outs'. I like freedom to do supersets, functionals, and plyos. I have work, children, kids' homework, and dinner, and sports to tend to in the afternoon. My bachelor/college 20's schedule is loooooooonnnggg gone.

Drink 2 bags of iced green tea so you can chug it and gets into your system fast. A bowl of Cheerios with milk. Great pre-workout quick meal before the morning workout. Drink your protein and carbs right after the gym.
    Last edited by filipino_muscle; 06-04-2009 at 10:09 AM.
    DON'T LOSE WEIGHT . . . LOSE FAT.

Thanks for the input.
    I'll give it a shot and let youse guys know how it goes.

bocco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bocco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bocco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bocco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bocco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bocco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bocco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bocco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bocco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bocco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bocco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Work out in the morning before work. Pack my clothes for work in my gym bag the night before. Workout clothes ready to go also. Coffee pot set up the night before. No thinking required. Coffee and protein shake and I'm out the door. Hit the gym by 6:30am.

Sometime I have a half whole wheat bagel with peanut butter. Gotta eat something or I run out of gas.

I'm fortunate that my work hours aren't strict.

masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I prefer the AM work out. Only advice is to wake a few minutes earlier and drink a protein shake before. Do not lift w/o taking in some protein before.

AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Same as post above, I prefer morning WOs and always start with a protein/oats shake and some caffeine.

henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I workout at home, that's the only way I can find time for it. My morning starts usually around 5:15AM, in the workout room by 5:20AM. This obviously doesn't leave any time for pre-workout meal. I do however drink 1 scoop with water shake during workout, and have another scoop right after finishing. Done by around 6:20AM. Then get oatmeal right before being out the door, around 6:45AM. It's just a matter of getting used to it. I find that on non-workout days if I don't stick to getting up around the same time, 5:20AM, and sleep another hour, it's hard to keep switching. In addition some days I'm able to work from home so the workout then happens after a good meal in the mornings. This sort of messes up with my getting used to the early wake ups. It seems it works best for me when I do stick to always getting up at around the same time, and on non-workout days still get up fairly early and do the cardio or such.

jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm still a newbie, but I've worked out early morning from the start and love it. It's a great way to start off the day. Your question about nutrition is one I was having initially. When I started, I was just having some water and hitting the gym about 45 minutes after waking up. I made progress but, of course, everyone should at first.

When the progress stopped, I added a scoop of meal replacement (I'm using BSN True Mass) 30 minutes before my first set. I immediately began making progress again and continue to, now 6 months into training. I've also added a meal replacement with 40+ grams of protein and around about 60 grams of Carbs, with my standard egg-whites and oatmeal an hour later.

This combo has made a huge difference. I'm no longer a chubby newbie...I'm a skinny newbie making strength gains weekly.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
    "I won't let go
    of that youthful soul
    despite body and mind
    my youth will never die..."

Creed

jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Love the morning workouts too. Can't exercise any other time of the day but my stomach can't take any food that early (5:15 a.m.) so I make sure I have a high protein meal/ shake at bedtime, take an N.O. product 30 minutes prior to workout (NO Xplode or Gaspari Super Pump) cuz they really pump me up for my workout, and then have a good solid breakfast/ protein shake post workout. I also have 40+ grams of protein, 30+ grams of complex carbs and 10 or less grams of fat per meal every 3 hours all day long. Has worked great for me.

widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm in the gym in the morning by 6:00, out at 6:55. Pre-workout I'll eat a banana and glass of milk mixed with coffee (my latte). Afterwards its a protein shake and a thermos of oatmeal in the car on the way to work.
    --||||---------||||--

Smolovian apprentice mharrislove's Avatar
    mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    During the work week, I wake up at 3 AM and hit the gym at 4 AM, so I have time for my real life in the evenings.

If I wake up on time, then I'll have egg whites (the Eggology stuff in a jar is great for a quick meal) and fruit 60 min before training. If I'm running behind, then I'll grab a protein shake at least 30 min before training. If I really screw up and get up just before 4 AM, then I'll bring a pre-workout drink on the road and slam it right before (and during) training.

Basically, I try to get the proper nutrition before I hit the iron. But if things aren't perfect, then I'm still dragging my fat ass to the gym even if my pre-workout meal is a stick of gum...
    "First train the mind, then the body."

Made from all-natural products since 1968...no gear, no HRT, no prohormones.

JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I, like a lot of people work out in the early am on an empty stomach. This morning I had NOshotgun3 pre so that has some protein in it however it is mostly just a cup of java plus NO product. I always have strong workouts w/o food so I think that our individual differences determine if we need to eat before workout..

bowers32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowers32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowers32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowers32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowers32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowers32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowers32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowers32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowers32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowers32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    EctoBGone is 100% correct..... for years I ate nothing before I went in at 6:00 am to workout....I have since gotten some advice to never do that... to take a small protein (whey) and small carb (simple carb to push whey into muscle).....

My strength is much higher... despite dieting hard, I am really holding onto the muscle much better. I also have a post workout whey shake with dextrose and creatine....what this has done is I have had about 80 grams of protein before I even really start my day....

bascically you divide your day into two parts... training hours (pre, workout, post) which is about three hours probably... during this phase you want whey protein, simple carb and creatine... the rest of the day is non-training hours and is where if you are like me and are dieting then watch the carb intake....

It has worked wonders for me....

CP3102435 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CP3102435 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CP3102435 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CP3102435 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CP3102435 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CP3102435 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CP3102435 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CP3102435 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CP3102435 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CP3102435 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CP3102435 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's early A.M. for me.

I'm up at 4:30 and at the Gym by 5:00. Pre-workout is some Twin Labs Amino Fuel Liquid and Superpump 250....work out for about an hour.....Protein Shake/Liquid Vitamin mixture afterwards...then on to work where I have a big bowl of oatmeal to start the day.
    Sometimes I toss a banana in there somewhere too.
    Last edited by CP3102435; 06-08-2009 at 10:18 AM.
    "Modern bodybuilding is ritual, religion, sport, art, and science, awash in Western chemistry and mathematics. Defying nature, it surpasses it."
    -Camille Paglia

"I don't have time to lift, I make time"
    -Unknown

KDHunter is just really nice. (+1000) KDHunter is just really nice. (+1000) KDHunter is just really nice. (+1000) KDHunter is just really nice. (+1000) KDHunter is just really nice. (+1000) KDHunter is just really nice. (+1000) KDHunter is just really nice. (+1000) KDHunter is just really nice. (+1000) KDHunter is just really nice. (+1000) KDHunter is just really nice. (+1000) KDHunter is just really nice. (+1000)
    Early mornings for me as well,

For something in the stomach. Protein shake and a piece of fruit does the trick for me
    KDHunter

CHARGER FOOTBALL BABY
    O35 5/8" Crew

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam greyhair's Avatar
    greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jdtemple View Post
    Up at 4:20AM, banging on the gym doors at 5:00AM (when they open).

Morning workouts are the only time I can consistently be there and get on a solid routine, because of work and family obligations. It has the added benefit of being "done" first thing in the morning, and having one less thing on my to-do list.

As far as nutrition goes, I eat every 3 hours and don't worry much about the pre-post workout meal stuff. I do eat before I go to the gym.
    Except for the 3 hour eating, pretty much the same for me.
    But those who fight for right must remember St. Augustine's sage words,
    "right is right even if no one is doing it...and wrong is wrong even if every one is doing it!"
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------
    God, Duty, Honour, Country