SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Critique My Bulking Routine! [REPS!!]

Looking to pack on some quality mass / strength over the next 2 months -- PRIMARY GOAL IS MASS. How does this look? Looking for any GOOD advice (ie days, exercises, exercise order, etc.) I have plateaued on a lot of exercises. NOTE: I work out at home so FREE WEIGHTS ONLY!!

Sunday: Biceps/Chest

Preacher Curls - 3 x 10
    Flat Bench Press - 8,6,6,5
    DB Hammer Curls - 3 x 10
    Incline Bench Press - 3 x 10 (45 to 50 degree incline I think... should I go with
    a shallower incline to hit my upper chest?)
    ALTERNATE BETWEEN Chin Ups / Conc. Curls
    Flat DB Flys - 3 x 10

Monday: Off

Tuesday: Shoulders/Traps/Triceps/Abs

Close Grip Bench Press - 3 x 10
    Seated Military Press - 3 x 10
    Side Delt Raise - 4 x 10
    Weighted Crunches (2 50lb plates on my chest) - 3 x 15
    Shrugs - 3 x 15
    Skull Crushers - 3 x 10
    Diamond Push Ups

Wednessday: Off

Thursday: Back/Biceps/Triceps/Abs

Bent Over BB rows - 5 x 5
    Elbow to alt knee crunches
    Pull Ups - 3 x 10
    Skull Crushers - 3 x 10
    DB Hammer Curls - 3 x 10
    ALT BETWEEN Chin Ups / Conc. Curls / standing EZ Bar curls
    Hanging Leg Raises - 3 x 10
    Bench Dips - 3 x 15
    Dead Lift - 5 x 5

Friday: Legs

Occasionally throw in 5 x 5 flat bench press
    Squats - 3 x 10
    Calf Raises - 3 x 15

Saturday: Off

I think thats pretty accurate for the exercises I do and the order in which I do them. I have not made that much progress recently, but I've been cutting until recently. I also recently moved my Monday day to Sunday to get more rest between chest / triceps.

I'm eating very clean, 6 meals a day about 3000 calories, but I'm trying to ramp that up a bit more to 3500. I'm currently 5'9" / 150lbs at around 14% to 15% BF. I want to pack on 10 to 20lbs of quality muscle and eventually get down to around 10% BF.

SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveO-777 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bump

TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Holy **** your leg day sucks balls!
    *No Crew*

Originally Posted by TexAss View Post
    Holy **** your leg day sucks balls!
    Lol, well, any suggestions on what else I can do with free weights? Keep in mind, I don't want that massive East-German female bodybuilder leg look . How does the rest look?

kevin_titus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevin_titus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SteveO-777 View Post
    Lol, well, any suggestions on what else I can do with free weights? Keep in mind, I don't want that massive East-German female bodybuilder leg look . How does the rest look?
    Yah man...you need to add some more to you leg day and i bet you will do better all the way around.

how about:

4/8-10 squats
    4/15-20 steps lunges
    4/ standing calve raises to failure
    4/10-12 stiff leg deadlifts
    "without no struggle, you make no progress..."

Originally Posted by kevin_titus View Post
    Yah man...you need to add some more to you leg day and i bet you will do better all the way around.

how about:

4/8-10 squats
    4/15-20 steps lunges
    4/ standing calve raises to failure
    4/10-12 stiff leg deadlifts
    I have deadlifts on back day. Deadlifts work both the lower back and legs right? Is it better to put it on leg day? I put it on back day so I'm not doing 2 big leg exercises on the same day. Hmm... not sure that question makes sense. LOL.

brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No offense OP. Your routine is all over the place. Check out a beginner routine in my sig or in n@tural1 sticky.

Btw, bulking and cutting are more a function of diet than they are of routine. This routine has too much of a lot of things, but you aren't going to get big without taking your squats seriously and eating a lot. That's my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by brudman View Post
    No offense OP. Your routine is all over the place. Check out a beginner routine in my sig or in n@tural1 sticky.
    Can you explain how my routine is "all over the place"? it looks like a fairly standard 4 day split that hits a few groups 2x a week. Is it my day ordering? Or my exercise selection or my exercise ordering?

Originally Posted by brudman View Post
    Btw, bulking and cutting are more a function of diet than they are of routine. This routine has too much of a lot of things, but you aren't going to get big without taking your squats seriously and eating a lot. That's my 2 cents.
    Thanks, but did you read my original post? I have already said my diet is in check, very clean, 6 meals a day, 3000 to 3500 calories a day. Roughly 50:30:20 macro ratio.

Who said I didn't take my squats seriously?

By the way, I'm not going for the bulky powerlifter body like you are doing, I am aiming for a more defined physique with added mass. I am not looking to get "huge", as I originally stated, I am only looking to add 20lbs of lean mass and drop body fat a bit more.

I also don't really want to "get fat" to put on muscle. Been there. Done that. I'm doing a clean bulk this time around.

brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Can you explain how my routine is "all over the place"? it looks like a fairly standard 4 day split that hits a few groups 2x a week. Is it my day ordering? Or my exercise selection or my exercise ordering?
    Well, like I said, no offense, so calm down. You have a 5x5 bench day thrown in on leg day...2 days before your next bench day, where you do 10 more sets of chest. That should be your first strong wtf. Next you have 1,000 arms sets that week. And you throw in close grip bench (which is a good tricep excercise) back day. All of this is fine other than the fact that you only have 5 sets of rows/back work, 5 sets of deadlift, and 3 sets of squats. It's disproportionate, that's all.

Thanks, but did you read my original post? I have already said my diet is in check, very clean, 6 meals a day, 3000 to 3500 calories a day. Roughly 50:30:20 macro ratio.
    My point was that you said it was a bulking routine. In reality it is not a matter of routine, it's a matter of diet. I wasn't saying anything about YOUR diet. Just FYI, your routine doesn't make you bulk nor cut, it's whether you are on a calorie surplus or defecit.

Who said I didn't take my squats seriously?

By the way, I'm not going for the bulky powerlifter body like you are doing, I am aiming for a more defined physique with added mass. I am not looking to get "huge", as I originally stated, I am only looking to add 20lbs of lean mass and drop body fat a bit more.

I also don't really want to "get fat" to put on muscle. Been there. Done that. I'm doing a clean bulk this time around.
    I'm glad you aren't getting fat, I was not recommending that. Adding 20 lbs of muscle does take a calorie surplus. I reminded you to take your squats seriously because they are major in overall growth. 3 x 10 when you seem to like high volume for other stuff isn't enough. Cut out the bench and curl 3 days a week stuff.
    Last edited by brudman; 06-03-2009 at 01:30 PM.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looking to pack on some quality mass / strength over the next 2 months -- PRIMARY GOAL IS MASS. How does this look? Looking for any GOOD advice (ie days, exercises, exercise order, etc.) I have plateaued on a lot of exercises. NOTE: I work out at home so FREE WEIGHTS ONLY!!

Preacher Curls - 3 x 10
    DB Hammer Curls - 3 x 10
    Incline Bench Press - 3 x 10 (45 to 50 degree incline I think... should I go with
    Flat DB Flys - 3 x 10

Monday: Off

Side Delt Raise - 4 x 10
    Shrugs - 3 x 15
    Skull Crushers - 3 x 10
    Diamond Push Ups

Wednessday: Off

Pull Ups - 3 x 10
    Skull Crushers - 3 x 10
    DB Hammer Curls - 3 x 10
    Bench Dips - 3 x 15
    Dead Lift - 5 x 5

Squats - 3 x 10
    Calf Raises - 3 x 15

Saturday: Off

I think thats pretty accurate for the exercises I do and the order in which I do them. I have not made that much progress recently, but I've been cutting until recently. I also recently moved my Monday day to Sunday to get more rest between chest / triceps.

I'm eating very clean, 6 meals a day about 3000 calories, but I'm trying to ramp that up a bit more to 3500. I'm currently 5'9" / 150lbs at around 14% to 15% BF. I want to pack on 10 to 20lbs of quality muscle and eventually get down to around 10% BF.
    --------------------------------

GuyJin no like routine. GuyJin give suggestions to help.

Don't get mad at GuyJin--his suggestions good.

Seriously, this routine needs a lot of change. First off, big muscles first. On chest and bis day, do chest first. Low-inclines first for a 5x5, then flat bench for 3x8 and then flyes for 2x8-10. For bis, stick to doing curls (either barbell or dumbell) for 3x6-8 and then 2 or 3 sets of hammers. Abs are fine to do here, whatever you like.

Shoulders and traps plus tris. Militaries, shrugs, and laterals in that order, then close-grips, extensions. No more than 9 sets for delts/traps and six for tris. I think it better to add shoulders in on chest day, as they work in conjunction with all the pressing, but if you can recover with a day of rest, then split it up.

Back day. Chins, then rows, and then either stiff-legs or deads. No more than ten sets, similar to how I laid out chest day. Take a day off (at least one, if not two) and then do legs: Squats for a 5x5, lunges for 3/4x8, calf raises for 4x12-15 plus abs.

I'd also change the order: i.e. Monday, chest and bis, Tuesday--legs, Thursday back only and Friday or Saturday--shoulders, traps, and tris, but that 's just me. (And, yes, this IS the routine that Yates used in his "Blood and Guts" vid and it can be very effective). Your diet looks okay, and it's a good thing not to get too heavy. Excess cals are needed for gaining size, although I wouldn't go whole hog about it.

Just my adapted ideas, here...
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    GuyJin no like routine. GuyJin give suggestions to help.
    Don't get mad at GuyJin--his suggestions good.
    LOL... I didn't get mad at anyone. Sorry if it came off that way, it just seemed like Brudman didn't really read the post but rather glanced over it and made some (wrong) assumptions. Anyways, yeah GuyJin, I know you are very knowledgable .

Seriously, this routine needs a lot of change. First off, big muscles first. On chest and bis day, do chest first. Low-inclines first for a 5x5, then flat bench for 3x8 and then flyes for 2x8-10. For bis, stick to doing curls (either barbell or dumbell) for 3x6-8 and then 2 or 3 sets of hammers. Abs are fine to do here, whatever you like.
    Will do. No need to do the steeper incline bench? Or is that moving more into shoulder territory? My upper chest does need work.

Shoulders and traps plus tris. Militaries, shrugs, and laterals in that order, then close-grips, extensions. No more than 9 sets for delts/traps and six for tris. I think it better to add shoulders in on chest day, as they work in conjunction with all the pressing, but if you can recover with a day of rest, then split it up.
    One thing I was doing in my routine that maybe you didn't pick up on that I'm wondering about is whether to alternate between groups or do each group straight up. What I mean is, I've always been training something like for example, if I had a chest/bicep day: 3x10 bicep, 3x10 chest, 3x10 bicep, 3x10 chest, 3x10 bicep, 3x10 chest, etc. Would it be better to do all 3 exercises for the chest first, then all 3 exercises for the biceps? I found that by alternating, I recover a bit of strength for the next sets. Whats your take on this?

Back day. Chins, then rows, and then either stiff-legs or deads. No more than ten sets, similar to how I laid out chest day. Take a day off (at least one, if not two) and then do legs: Squats for a 5x5, lunges for 3/4x8, calf raises for 4x12-15 plus abs.
    Will do.

I'd also change the order: i.e. Monday, chest and bis, Tuesday--legs, Thursday back only and Friday or Saturday--shoulders, traps, and tris, but that 's just me. (And, yes, this IS the routine that Yates used in his "Blood and Guts" vid and it can be very effective). Your diet looks okay, and it's a good thing not to get too heavy. Excess cals are needed for gaining size, although I wouldn't go whole hog about it.

Just my adapted ideas, here...
    So you wouldn't recommend the 2x a week at all? It seemed like thats when I got my best results, but I'll give your suggestions a chance. I'll make the necessary adjustments.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    LOL... I didn't get mad at anyone. Sorry if it came off that way, it just seemed like Brudman didn't really read the post but rather glanced over it and made some (wrong) assumptions. Anyways, yeah GuyJin, I know you are very knowledgable .-----ME. No, I know you weren't mad--no biggie.

Will do. No need to do the steeper incline bench? Or is that moving more into shoulder territory? My upper chest does need work.---ME. Personally, I think that the lower angle will hit your upper-chest area a bit more, but that's just me. The 45-degree angle the incline benches have jacks my shoulders, and the lower-incline presses I do don't hurt, so...it all depends on how YOUR body responds to those presses.

One thing I was doing in my routine that maybe you didn't pick up on that I'm wondering about is whether to alternate between groups or do each group straight up. What I mean is, I've always been training something like for example, if I had a chest/bicep day: 3x10 bicep, 3x10 chest, 3x10 bicep, 3x10 chest, 3x10 bicep, 3x10 chest, etc. Would it be better to do all 3 exercises for the chest first, then all 3 exercises for the biceps? I found that by alternating, I recover a bit of strength for the next sets. Whats your take on this?
    ------------ME. I don't like alternating this way. I understand why you're doing that, but if you want size and strength, straight sets and doing all the exercises for chest first, then bis, would be the best way, IMHO.

Will do.

So you wouldn't recommend the 2x a week at all? It seemed like thats when I got my best results, but I'll give your suggestions a chance. I'll make the necessary adjustments.
    -----------ME. I'm not against 2x a week for bodyparts--that can work if the routine is properly planned out; your old routine seemed a bit of a hodgepodge so that's why I suggested the changes. OTOH, if it's working gains-wise...run with it. I just think that sooner or later, adding in the extra bench work MAY work against you, but that's my "old-bro fartism" acting up again...

---Just my ideas.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I am only looking to add 20lbs of lean mass and drop body fat a bit more. I also don't really want to "get fat" to put on muscle. Been there. Done that. I'm doing a clean bulk this time around.
    Lol! ONLY 20 lbs of lean mass! Dude, 20 lbs of lean mass isnt a small amount

Leaving that aside though, on to your routine. No offense intended, but I think this isnt a good routine or a good sequence of exercsies; lets go over them anyway.

Preacher Curls - 3 x 10
    DB Hammer Curls - 3 x 10
    Flat DB Flys - 3 x 10
    Its always advisable to pound out the heavy lifts first. So, change the order and get to the bench press first. HOWEVER, you can do flyes before bench pressing if your deltoids and triceps tire out before your chest gets a thorough workout. Otherwise, do flyes after bench press. As far as the angle of the bench goes, I would say experiment a bit and see what angle helps you feel the target area better.

As far as the biceps goes, I dont see much point in tinkering too much, except that I would probably do the preacher curls last, after hammer curls; try to go as heavy as I can with the hammer curls; stick to very good form on preacher curls - i.e. lean into the bench so as to avoid swinging, and also try to get as good a stretch as I can. Off topic, but personally I sort of feel better when at the bottom of the preacher curl, I flex my triceps slightly since that seems to give me a nice stretch for the bis

Side Delt Raise - 4 x 10
    Shrugs - 3 x 15
    Skull Crushers - 3 x 10
    Diamond Push Ups
    Why do you put in traps and abs between two delt exercises? Or two tris exercises for that matter? Honestly, I cant understand the logic of your exercise sequence here. I would rather start with Military, do the shrugs, then laterals, and then hit the triceps.

Pull Ups - 3 x 10
    Skull Crushers - 3 x 10
    DB Hammer Curls - 3 x 10
    Bench Dips - 3 x 15
    Dead Lift - 5 x 5
    Pull-ups first; then rows and deads.
    If you are going to do triceps and biceps on the same day, I would rather you superset biceps and triceps exercise. Abs at the end.

Squats - 3 x 10
    Calf Raises - 3 x 15
    Leg day is not upto par. If you can work only with free-weights, get in another set of squats, and 2-3 sets of lunges. Also, considering that you havent done any direct forearm work in the previous three days, I would suggest you workout your forearms as well.

------------------------
    Now, stepping back, think how you have set up the split. You train your arms (smaller body parts) directly twice a week; they get trained once again indirectly when you do chest and back.

Yet, you do chest, back and legs (the bigger bodyparts) only once a week. Occasionally you do chest twice (2nd time being on the leg day, which also happens to be the day after you train your tris for a second time - not a wise idea).

I dont think this is a *standard* 4 day split, as you stated in your reply to Brudman. This is a routine that is heavily biased towards the "glamorous" muscle-groups. Fewer heavy lifts and relatively high arm work. I understand you dont want a "powerlifter" look, but 20 lbs is a hell lot of muscle mass. And its easier to get there by doing the heavy lifts more than bothering too much about arm work.

If you have to go for a 4 day split, I would rather see something like this:

Mon - chest and triceps
    Tues - Legs and forearms
    Thurs - back
    Fri- shoulders and tris

Lesser direct arm work will let you focus more on the bigger lifts, and that, in turn will serve you better.

Having said that though, imho, a simple 2 day split or a full-body routine will serve your purpose better.

Again, no offense intended; just my honest thoughts on your routine.
    Last edited by kitarpyar; 06-03-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
    Lol! ONLY 20 lbs of lean mass! Dude, 20 lbs of lean mass isnt a small amount

Leaving that aside though, on to your routine. No offense intended, but I think this isnt a good routine or a good sequence of exercsies; lets go over them anyway.
    None taken. If my routine was still working for me, I wouldn't have asked for advice . I just indicated the long term goal. I'm not looking to go pro or get "huge" (250lbs, 20" arms, etc). Just looking to pack on some decent bulk and get definition.

Its always advisable to pound out the heavy lifts first. So, change the order and get to the bench press first. HOWEVER, you can do flyes before bench pressing if your deltoids and triceps tire out before your chest gets a thorough workout. Otherwise, do flyes after bench press. As far as the angle of the bench goes, I would say experiment a bit and see what angle helps you feel the target area better.
    Will do. I think GuyJin said the same thing.

As far as the biceps goes, I dont see much point in tinkering too much, except that I would probably do the preacher curls last, after hammer curls; try to go as heavy as I can with the hammer curls; stick to very good form on preacher curls - i.e. lean into the bench so as to avoid swinging, and also try to get as good a stretch as I can. Off topic, but personally I sort of feel better when at the bottom of the preacher curl, I flex my triceps slightly since that seems to give me a nice stretch for the bis
    Yeah, I try to stick to good form on everything. On stuff like preachers where I won't cave in my skull with a failure, I might do a rep or two with bad form to squeeze out that final rep.

Why do you put in traps and abs between two delt exercises? Or two tris exercises for that matter? Honestly, I cant understand the logic of your exercise sequence here. I would rather start with Military, do the shrugs, then laterals, and then hit the triceps.
    Fair enough. I didn't have any "logic" in the sequence of exercises other then alternating between muscle groups to give some recovery time rather then supersetting.

Pull-ups first; then rows and deads.
    If you are going to do triceps and biceps on the same day, I would rather you superset biceps and triceps exercise. Abs at the end.
    Will do.

Leg day is not upto par. If you can work only with free-weights, get in another set of squats, and 2-3 sets of lunges. Also, considering that you havent done any direct forearm work in the previous three days, I would suggest you workout your forearms as well.
    Yeah, I haven't been doing direct forearm work. Just sort of been relying on deadlifts for that.

Now, stepping back, think how you have set up the split. You train your arms (smaller body parts) directly twice a week; they get trained once again indirectly when you do chest and back.

Yet, you do chest, back and legs (the bigger bodyparts) only once a week. Occasionally you do chest twice (2nd time being on the leg day, which also happens to be the day after you train your tris for a second time - not a wise idea).
    I was under the impression that you could only train the smaller parts 2x a week? Wrong assumption?

I dont think this is a *standard* 4 day split, as you stated in your reply to Brudman. This is a routine that is heavily biased towards the "glamorous" muscle-groups. Fewer heavy lifts and relatively high arm work. I understand you dont want a "powerlifter" look, but 20 lbs is a hell lot of muscle mass. And its easier to get there by doing the heavy lifts more than bothering too much about arm work.
    Fair assesment. My goal is to get more of a good beach body type build, not look like a pro BB'er. I understand your points on the core lifts.

If you have to go for a 4 day split, I would rather see something like this:

Again, no offense intended; just my honest thoughts on your routine.
    None taken. Again, sorry Brudman if my response was "*******-ish"... didn't mean it like that.

Mon - chest and triceps
    I assume you mean biceps here?

None taken. Again, sorry Brudman if my response was "*******-ish"... didn't mean it like that.
    You're good buddy. Good luck w/the routine and pack on the muscle baby!

-----------ME. I'm not against 2x a week for bodyparts--that can work if the routine is properly planned out; your old routine seemed a bit of a hodgepodge so that's why I suggested the changes. OTOH, if it's working gains-wise...run with it. I just think that sooner or later, adding in the extra bench work MAY work against you, but that's my "old-bro fartism" acting up again...

---Just my ideas.
    How would you recommend laying out a 2x a week routine? Just asking because it seemed like I got better results that way then when I did a 1x a week. I'll try it out both ways.

The layout changes you guys suggested make sense. I kind of only looked at the day to day aspect of things and not really the intra-day aspect.

OK guys... TAKE 2... took all the suggestions into account. Does this layout look good? Any changes to exercises or order or rep scheme, etc? I threw in ab work on Tuesday and Thursday unless there is any issue with that.

Monday: Chest / Biceps

Flat Bench Press - 3 x 8
    Incline Bench Press - 5 x 5
    Flat DB Flys - 3 x 8

Preacher Curls - 3 x 8
    DB Hammer Curls - 3 x 8
    Should I toss in Concentration Curls here? or already have enough?

Tuesday: Legs / Forearms / Abs

Squats - 5 x 5
    Lunges - 3 x 8
    Calf Raises - 4 x 12

Wrist Curls - 3 x 10
    Reverse Wrist Curls - 3 x 10

Thursday: Back / Abs

Pull Ups - 3 x 10
    Bent Over BB Rows - 5 x 5
    Deadlifts - 5 x 5

This doesn't seem like a whole lot??

Friday: Shoulders / Traps / Tris

Military Press - 3 x 10
    Shrugs - 3 x 15
    Side Laterals - 3 x 10

Skull Crushers - 3 x 10
    Bench Dips - 3 x 15

Should I toss in front delt raises on this day? or already have enough?

nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i think you are over training your arms, but only you can tell me that.

and yeah you leg day sucks.
    Ball-Worthy [bawl-wur-thee]
    -adjective

1) Something so epic you would sacrifice a testicle to get your hands on it:

-nano's journal is ball-worthy;
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117646471

-nano's guitar
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124088321

I think your routine looks so much better. You now have an organized approach.

Originally Posted by Long813 View Post
    i think you are over training your arms, but only you can tell me that.

and yeah you leg day sucks.
    Overtraining is a condition not an action. I would be incredibly surprised if he was overtrained here because of his arm workout. I don't think leg day sucks, I do think you'd benefit from something that targets the hammies. Try glute/ham raise or even just leg curls.

I know some of those days don't seem like a whole lot. I understand, but 13 sets of heavy deadlift, rows and pullups will kick your ass if you keep the rest times moderate and really truly go heavy.

Cheers brah.

kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah, I haven't been doing direct forearm work. Just sort of been relying on deadlifts for that.

I was under the impression that you could only train the smaller parts 2x a week? Wrong assumption?
    Deadlifts are good definitely. But I think it wont hurt to throw in 3-4 sets of direct forearm work (which I can see that you have added to your revamped routine).

I assume you mean biceps here?
    yeah, that's right. My bad. made a typo in the previous post.

OK guys... TAKE 2... took all the suggestions into account. Does this layout look good? Any changes to exercises or order or rep scheme, etc? I threw in ab work on Tuesday and Thursday unless there is any issue with that.

Flat Bench Press - 3 x 8
    Flat DB Flys - 3 x 8

Preacher Curls - 3 x 8
    DB Hammer Curls - 3 x 8

Squats - 5 x 5
    Lunges - 3 x 8
    Calf Raises - 4 x 12

Wrist Curls - 3 x 10

Pull Ups - 3 x 10
    Deadlifts - 5 x 5

Military Press - 3 x 10
    Shrugs - 3 x 15
    Side Laterals - 3 x 10

Skull Crushers - 3 x 10
    Bench Dips - 3 x 15

1. I think its upto you whether you want the concentration curls; shouldnt hurt if you do add them
    2. Adding in abs on a couple of days is fine too
    3. If you feel back volume is too low, you can add1-2 sets of T-bar rows. I think you will probably be okay with what you have.
    4. No need to add an extra exercise for front delts

I think the revamped routine looks much better. Good luck with your goals bro.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the help everybody! Reps handed out.

G_Conquer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G_Conquer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G_Conquer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G_Conquer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G_Conquer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G_Conquer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G_Conquer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G_Conquer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G_Conquer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G_Conquer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G_Conquer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Flat Bench Press - 3 x 8
    Flat DB Flys - 3 x 8

Preacher Curls - 3 x 8
    DB Hammer Curls - 3 x 8

Squats - 5 x 5
    Lunges - 3 x 8
    Calf Raises - 4 x 12

Wrist Curls - 3 x 10

Pull Ups - 3 x 10
    Deadlifts - 5 x 5

Military Press - 3 x 10
    Shrugs - 3 x 15
    Side Laterals - 3 x 10

Skull Crushers - 3 x 10
    Bench Dips - 3 x 15

My opinion:

Chest routine looks good. Concentration curls for biceps shouldnt be necessary.

I recommend you add another movement to your leg day. maybe leg press or leg extensions to pre-exhaust your quads. And what about hamstrings?

Back day is solid but you could add a few sets of seated cable rows at the end of your workout if you want.

On shoulder day I think you should add another pressing movement but thats just me. Maybe even do some bent over raises for rear delt work.