Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Germboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Germboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Peanut butter + Oatmeal = bad?

My regular breakfast has been 1/2 cup Rolled Oats + 1 scoop whey + 1 tsp peanut butter + a few drops of raisins..are they good if you're trying to cut fats? I heard fats and carbs are a straight no..any reason why?

IanR1205 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IanR1205 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IanR1205 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IanR1205 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IanR1205 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IanR1205 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IanR1205 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IanR1205 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IanR1205 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IanR1205 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IanR1205 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No it's fine. You've been exposed to broscience it seems.

Germboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Germboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by IanR1205 View Post
    No it's fine. You've been exposed to broscience it seems.
    Care to elaborate? =)

sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    whats that, a 300 calorie breakfast? are you cutting? even so, eat moreeeee for breakfast

sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) sggs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Germboy View Post
    Care to elaborate? =)
    since i didnt actually answer your original question i will help with this..
    anyhow, think of all the foods that have any carbs and fat... my favorite example is milk. but also oatmeal itself has a little bit of fat in it, and peanut butter has a few carbs. does that mean you shouldnt eat these foods, even by themselves? thats ridiculous right? I don't have time to find a link to an article but search around here you should be able to find one.

Originally Posted by sggs View Post
    since i didnt actually answer your original question i will help with this..
    anyhow, think of all the foods that have any carbs and fat... my favorite example is milk. but also oatmeal itself has a little bit of fat in it, and peanut butter has a few carbs. does that mean you shouldnt eat these foods, even by themselves? thats ridiculous right? I don't have time to find a link to an article but search around here you should be able to find one.
    Thanks..anyone can provide me with the link?

X-TRAsmedium is just really nice. (+1000) X-TRAsmedium is just really nice. (+1000) X-TRAsmedium is just really nice. (+1000) X-TRAsmedium is just really nice. (+1000) X-TRAsmedium is just really nice. (+1000) X-TRAsmedium is just really nice. (+1000) X-TRAsmedium is just really nice. (+1000) X-TRAsmedium is just really nice. (+1000) X-TRAsmedium is just really nice. (+1000) X-TRAsmedium is just really nice. (+1000) X-TRAsmedium is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks..anyone can provide me with the link?
    not trying to bash you, but you have a long way to go if you need a link to show you PB and oatmeal are not bad for you.

Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You have a lot to learn OP. But basically it comes down to your goal. Are you trying to bulk or cut? When I cut I usually separate fats and carb meals. The reason I do this is because I always focus on protein in every meal and that doesn't leave much room in my calorie limit for both carbs and fat sources. I eat my carb sources in the morning and around workout and fat sources the other meals. Hope that helps.
    "Thank God for pure NATURAL strength." ~ Ronnie Coleman

NASM Certified Trainer

Max Bench: 485

deawalsh will become famous soon enough. (+50) deawalsh will become famous soon enough. (+50) deawalsh will become famous soon enough. (+50) deawalsh will become famous soon enough. (+50) deawalsh will become famous soon enough. (+50) deawalsh will become famous soon enough. (+50) deawalsh will become famous soon enough. (+50) deawalsh will become famous soon enough. (+50) deawalsh will become famous soon enough. (+50) deawalsh will become famous soon enough. (+50) deawalsh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My regular breakfast has been 1/2 cup Rolled Oats + 1 scoop whey + 1 tsp peanut butter + a few drops of raisins..are they good if you're trying to cut fats? I heard fats and carbs are a straight no..any reason why?
    oatmeal+pb+whey=YUMMMMMMYY!!!!

it's the total opposite...fats slows the digestion, so the carbs are releases much more slower than a regular bowl of plain oatmeal. you're fine!
    'Victory belongs to the most persevering.'
    -Napolean Bonaparte

'Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.'
    -Jim Rohn

EATING,TRAINING,SLEEPING...and repeat!!

SwoleMeat is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwoleMeat is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwoleMeat is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwoleMeat is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwoleMeat is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwoleMeat is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwoleMeat is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwoleMeat is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwoleMeat is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwoleMeat is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwoleMeat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    oats + PB=complete protein

its not about how much fat in 1 meal, its about how much over the course of the day and if it fits in the macros then its no problem

Originally Posted by Vaporize View Post
    You have a lot to learn OP. But basically it comes down to your goal. Are you trying to bulk or cut? When I cut I usually separate fats and carb meals. The reason I do this is because I always focus on protein in every meal and that doesn't leave much room in my calorie limit for both carbs and fat sources. I eat my carb sources in the morning and around workout and fat sources the other meals. Hope that helps.
    I'm trying to cut..I'm asian so I'm naturally v small size..calculated I need only 2000 calories if I'm training..1700 calories on non-workout days.

imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by deawalsh View Post
    oatmeal+pb+whey=YUMMMMMMYY!!!!

it's the total opposite...fats slows the digestion, so the carbs are releases much more slower than a regular bowl of plain oatmeal. you're fine!
    Answering broscience with broscience... lolz
    Food quality does not change the laws of thermodynamics. Provided you consume adequate protein, EFAs, fiber, and vitamins and minerals you can eat whatever you want.

The only difference between a 'clean' and a 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat.

The Glycemic Index is meaningless unless you eat carbs alone in a fasted state. As soon as you add fat, protein, or fiber to a meal or have eaten in the previous 4-6 hours the GI is irrelevant.

Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vaporize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SwoleMeat View Post

its not about how much fat in 1 meal, its about how much over the course of the day and if it fits in the macros then its no problem
    completely disagree. Your body is constantly processing food, it doesn't store it all until the end of the day to calculate if you are inside your calorie limit. Call me out on "broscience" or whatever but I'll take the advice from pro bodybuilders over mice science any day.

NASM Certified Trainer

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Having fat and carbs in the same meal is fine. You'll be hard pressed to even avoid that situation anyway, granted you eat a lot meat and what have you.

Originally Posted by SwoleMeat View Post

Oats + PB does not equal a complete protein. Complete protein are things like eggs, meat etc. Oats are for carbs, and PB is for your fats.

completely disagree. Your body is constantly processing food, it doesn't store it all until the end of the day to calculate if you are inside your calorie limit. Call me out on "broscience" or whatever but I'll take the advice from pro bodybuilders over mice science any day.
    Exactly right.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000)
    The body calculates? wtf? I'm not being rude, that just sounds weird to me.

RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000)
    Are you implying that your body goes through no fat storage process until some magical time at the end the day?
    Just livin' the dream...

Make me lift heavy! My workout journal! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=541721083#post541721083

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    He said it "doesn't". Read closer.

It's poorly phrased, but he meant the body doesn't wait until the end of the day to accumulate all the calories one has eaten, in order to determine whether one will gain fat or not. As in, the body doesn't run on a 16 hr basis, then go for a 8 hr sleep, then repeat itself. It doesn't actually operate like that when it comes to determining surplus' or deficits.

We ourselves use that whole 24 hr a day thing to describe things to people because it's easy for them to understand and grasp simple concepts that way, but the body must be a constant surplus in order to gain weight, and a constant deficit in order to lose weight. The body doesn't think "ok, i'm under some bed covers now, i'm just gonna tally up what i've eaten today, and if it's below such and such, Pete's cool, i won't add any fat to him".
    Last edited by Simmo0508; 06-04-2009 at 05:29 AM.

Originally Posted by RandyJH View Post
    Are you implying that your body goes through no fat storage process until some magical time at the end the day?
    Would like to know too.

imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    With all due respect to him I have no idea what it is he's talking about.
    Food quality does not change the laws of thermodynamics. Provided you consume adequate protein, EFAs, fiber, and vitamins and minerals you can eat whatever you want.

The only difference between a 'clean' and a 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat.

The Glycemic Index is meaningless unless you eat carbs alone in a fasted state. As soon as you add fat, protein, or fiber to a meal or have eaten in the previous 4-6 hours the GI is irrelevant.

stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000)
    I read things too fast....my fault. I thought he was saying the opposite of what he actually meant. But yeah I agree, the body is constantly processing food.

Originally Posted by imccarthy View Post
    With all due respect to him I have no idea what it is he's talking about.
    I must be speaking Spanish but I'll try it again.

The person I quoted stated that, "its not about how much fat in 1 meal, its about how much over the course of the day and if it fits in the macros then its no problem."

I said I disagree. I then continued to say that your metabolism is constantly processing food that you eat, it DOES NOT process it all at the end of the day to see what your totally calorie intake was and then decide to add weight or reduce weight.

I'll be more clear. Example: You eat a 2000 calorie meal in the morning and that's it. Your maintenance calories is 2500, so basing it off a 24 hour period you should most likely lose weight (and I know this is your opinion from reading your posts in this section). I, however, do not agree at all and that is why I suggest and personally eat 5-7 meals throughout the day so I don't go over my calorie limit for that section of the day.

To use a more extreme example, say a person ate 730,000 calories (2000 kcal x365 days) in a year but (hypothetically) ate it at one sitting. His maintenance calorie for a year is 912500 (2500 kcal x 365 days). Obviously this is a retarded example but I think you get the idea I'm making in which your body can only process and utilize a certain amount of calories at one time and doesn't do it in "24 hour segments". Hope that was clear.

NASM Certified Trainer

Dan290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The person I quoted stated that, "its not about how much fat in 1 meal, its about how much over the course of the day and if it fits in the macros then its no problem."

I said I disagree. I then continued to say that your metabolism is constantly processing food that you eat, it DOES NOT process it all at the end of the day to see what your totally calorie intake was and then decide to add weight or reduce weight.

I'll be more clear. Example: You eat a 2000 calorie meal in the morning and that's it. Your maintenance calories is 2500, so basing it off a 24 hour period you should most likely lose weight (and I know this is your opinion from reading your posts in this section). I, however, do not agree at all and that is why I suggest and personally eat 5-7 meals throughout the day so I don't go over my calorie limit for that section of the day.

To use a more extreme example, say a person ate 730,000 calories (2000 kcal x365 days) in a year but (hypothetically) ate it at one sitting. His maintenance calorie for a year is 912500 (2500 kcal x 365 days). Obviously this is a retarded example but I think you get the idea I'm making in which your body can only process and utilize a certain amount of calories at one time and doesn't do it in "24 hour segments". Hope that was clear.
    Too true. Reps

Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

I agree with this.

But i have always wondered what happens inside the body under these two circumstances.

I've always thought that by eating a massive meal in one sitting and much less or nothing later (much like intermittent fasting) that glycogen stores would fill first, then fat cells. My question is, throughout the rest of the day, is your body burning that extra accumulated fat, or does it start by burning the liver/muscle glycogen? My thoughts are that under a non-keto diet, the body wouldn't efficiently utilize the recently stored fat, and would look to liver/muscle glycogen as it's preferred energy source.

By doing this regularly, under my assumptions, you would net some fat gain until you've starved yourself enough to run out of liver/muscle glycogen, so the body could burn off the excess fat.

Can someone correct me or support these assumptions?

Dan290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just eat 5-6 small meals a day and don't really worry about it.

It works well and keeps me full and energised throughout the day.

I disagree for the most part and so does logic, sorry.

If you burn 3000 calories in a day and eat 3000 calories in that day, you will not gain fat even if you somehow ate it all in one meal, that's simple physics right there. Obviously eating that much in one sitting would cause massive fat storage immediately after the meal but by the same token far more fat would be burnt between meals because they would be 20 + hours apart.

I think eating one meal per day is a stupid concept but not for the reason you've come up with. But at the same time, under no circumstance is 5-7 meals per day necessary or even optimal, in fact, according to recent research by Layne, eating more often actually blunts the protein synthetic effect of leucine.

If you burn 3000 calories in a day and eat 3000 calories in that day, you will not gain fat even if you somehow ate it all in one meal, that's simple physics right there. Obviously eating that much in one sitting would cause massive fat storage immediately after the meal but by the same token far more fat would be burnt between meals because they would be 20 + hours apart.
    Two things I have a problem with in this. Why would you WANT to gain fat during any point in the day to chance losing it by fasting the rest of the day? Also, your metabolism would slow down to a halt eating one meal per day and (this is where we probably disagree) slowing down the metabolism will only make it easier to accumulate more fat gain even if you are eating at maintenance.
    I think eating one meal per day is a stupid concept but not for the reason you've come up with. But at the same time, under no circumstance is 5-7 meals per day necessary or even optimal, in fact, according to recent research by Layne, eating more often actually blunts the protein synthetic effect of leucine.
    I eat 5-7 because I'm hungry and I like the idea of constantly feeding my metabolism keeping it working at 100%. And again with the mice science... one person, not even a PhD (to my knowledge) makes a claim. I'll take years of suggested, and GREATLY supported with countless physiques, broscience over that ANY day.

Edit: I hope you don't try to push the information in your sig to all these members... I'll agree with majority of it to the GENERAL public for simple weight loss and maintenance but no way in hell will I suggest that **** to bodybuilders.
    Last edited by Vaporize; 06-04-2009 at 06:24 AM.

NASM Certified Trainer

RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000)

Agreed.

People must have to realize that your body is constantly burning and storing fat throughout the day. Therefor what truly matters is the net gain, or net loss.

There is no magical clock in your body.
    Just livin' the dream...

Make me lift heavy! My workout journal! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=541721083#post541721083

Two things I have a problem with in this. Why would you WANT to gain fat during any point in the day to chance losing it by fasting the rest of the day? Also, your metabolism would slow down to a halt eating one meal per day and (this is where we probably disagree) slowing down the metabolism will only make it easier to accumulate more fat gain even if you are eating at maintenance.

I eat 5-7 because I'm hungry and I like the idea of constantly feeding my metabolism keeping it working at 100%. And again with the mice science... one person, not even a PhD (to my knowledge) makes a claim. I'll take years of suggested, and GREATLY supported with countless physiques, broscience over that ANY day.

Edit: I hope you don't try to push the information in your sig to all these members... I'll agree with majority of it to the GENERAL public for simple weight loss and maintenance but no way in hell will I suggest that **** to bodybuilders.
    Do you have any proof that eating 5-7 meals a day has a metabolic advantage to eating 3 meals a day? I definitely understand the fullness theory, but the "metabolism" based idea has yet to be proven.
    Just livin' the dream...

Do you have any proof that eating 5-7 meals a day has a metabolic advantage to eating 3 meals a day? I definitely understand the fullness theory, but the "metabolism" based idea has yet to be proven.
    My proof is in the pudding. I use advice from the pros because that is what I'm striving to become. For majority of you guys you can get away with 3 meals or whatever, but I'm trying to do things optimally and therefore I'll take the knowledge from people who have achieved success in what I'm trying to do.
    And back at you, where is your proof?

sorry to ruin the fun but I'm off to catch some sleep. I'll check this when I wake and see what lovely information has been posted.

NASM Certified Trainer

Vaporize bro, don't bother. They told us the other day that they don't even do bodybuilding themselves anyway.

(why are they on a bodybuilding site then right? I know you're thinking lol)