Templar76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Losing Fat/Gaining Muscle

A little about me...

I'm 6'5" and about 260lbs. Not sure what my bodyfat is, but probably around 30%, so I'm definitely overweight.

My goal is twofold - I would like to put on some major muscle, while also losing bodyfat. I've been reading some articles on the main page, and two things have jumped out at me when it comes to gaining mass. First, most articles recommend very litte, if any, cardio. Second, they also recommend taking in about 500 calories more than I actually burn in a day. If I'm also trying to lose bodyfat, can I "adjust" those two principles? Can I stay at or below what my body normally burns in a day and rely on burned bodyfat calories to contribute to muscle growth? Can I also do a little cardio in an effort to burn a few more calories each day to expedite the fat burning process?

Or, do I just need to choose which goal to attain first?

Also, any advice on a routine would be appreciated. I'm currently looking to do a 4-day-per-week program; training 2-on, 1-off, 2-on, 2-off; hitting each muscle group twice per week. Should I be doing lighter weight with higher reps or the other way around?

I greatly appreciate any advice you could give! Thanks!

flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Generally, it's not possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, unless you have a lot of extra body mass or you're on steroids.

It's up to you whether you want to "cut" and lower your body fat %, or "bulk" and put on lean body mass.

To cut, you will eat under your maintenance calories. To bulk, you will eat over.

Either way you will be working out.
    Milk and Squats FTW!

Lil_rowe2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Templar76 View Post
    A little about me...

I'm 6'5" and about 260lbs. Not sure what my bodyfat is, but probably around 30%, so I'm definitely overweight.

My goal is twofold - I would like to put on some major muscle, while also losing bodyfat. I've been reading some articles on the main page, and two things have jumped out at me when it comes to gaining mass. First, most articles recommend very litte, if any, cardio. Second, they also recommend taking in about 500 calories more than I actually burn in a day. If I'm also trying to lose bodyfat, can I "adjust" those two principles? Can I stay at or below what my body normally burns in a day and rely on burned bodyfat calories to contribute to muscle growth? Can I also do a little cardio in an effort to burn a few more calories each day to expedite the fat burning process?

Or, do I just need to choose which goal to attain first?

Also, any advice on a routine would be appreciated. I'm currently looking to do a 4-day-per-week program; training 2-on, 1-off, 2-on, 2-off; hitting each muscle group twice per week. Should I be doing lighter weight with higher reps or the other way around?

I greatly appreciate any advice you could give! Thanks!

I agree with the guy above me but if your 260 you are going to have some good muscle underneath the fat no matter what. I would take in less calories than you burn but lift weights and do about 30-45 minutes of low intensity cardio after, so you can to try to maintain as much muscle as possible. This way when you do slim down you will not have lost all your muscle. Another thing is lighter weight with higer reps is a joke man don't do that, that is what women do. I would just lift reps 10-12 for smaller muscles and 8-10 for bigger. That should work pretty well for you. Probably buy some protein drink that after your workouts to get the muscles the protein they need but try to get one with almost no calories.

Life=Red Sox/Pit Bulls NDame616's Avatar
    NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000) NDame616 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You can certainly lose fat and gain muscle. You can't convert fat to muscle...but you can gain muscle and lose fat.

Gaining muscle: a result of working out your muscles often
    Losing fat: a result of putting your body in a caloric deficit

At your size, I would just concentrade on working out strong 3 or 4 days a week and eating healthy. Your body will figure out the rest. After a few months and 20 or so pounds, you can re-evaluate.

One of the good things about being bigger is that, if done right, weight will come off reletively easily.