OG of Jimmie Rustlin' ChefXplode's Avatar
    ChefXplode is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChefXplode is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChefXplode is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChefXplode is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChefXplode is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChefXplode is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChefXplode is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChefXplode is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChefXplode is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChefXplode is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChefXplode is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Barbell Bent Rows vs. Pendlay Rows (REPS for helpful input)

what's the difference? the proper way to do each, all things considered.

is one more effective than the other?

(I just started Rippetoe's.. that's why i'm asking.)

also, i can't find anything about cardio+Rippetoe..

Right now i'm doing 45mins low-intensity on 3 of the 4 off days.. comments/suggestions?
    Looks like an apple,
    Tastes like a grape.
    ----

<--Financial Analyst/Accountant brah - always glad to help out a fellow miscer if i can :)

If you think i owe you reps for ANY reason just PM me and i'll take care of you, it just may not be immediate.

Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trey70 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Xplode26 View Post
    what's the difference? the proper way to do each, all things considered.

is one more effective than the other?

(I just started Rippetoe's.. that's why i'm asking.)

also, i can't find anything about cardio+Rippetoe..

Right now i'm doing 45mins low-intensity on 3 of the 4 off days.. comments/suggestions?
    I'm pretty sure Pendlay Rows have you attempt to maintain / progress toward keeping your torso parallel with the ground whereas with Bent Barbell Rows there's a large degree of variability in regards to your upper body's angle with the floor, generally 45 degrees more or less.

P.S. this should probably be in the exercise section.
    Lifting Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121357031

Long Term Goals
    Deadlift - 425/600
    Deep Clean - 235/300
    Overhead BB Press - 185/200

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Trey70 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Pendlay Rows have you attempt to maintain / progress toward keeping your torso parallel with the ground whereas with Bent Barbell Rows there's a large degree of variability in regards to your upper body's angle with the floor, generally 45 degrees more or less.
    What people are calling "Pendlay rows" are basically strict barbell rows. The reps are not assisted by motion at the waist, and the critical feature is that every rep is started from a dead stop on the ground.

Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well I'm on SS too, but according to Kethnab's revised SS version where you substitute cleans for rows, he says to do Pendlay rows starting from a adead weight every rep, to more mimic the clean. But in Rippetoe's SS book he only mentions rows in his assistance exercise section where he does sort of bent barbell rows but not quite 45 degrees. You start off at almost parallel back to the ground but then initiate the row with a bit of hip movement. Pendlay rows insist of no hip involvement watsoeva and so just pure lats. I've been following Ripp's way, but trying to minimise hip extension as much as possible.

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Confuzzl3dOn3 View Post
    he says to do Pendlay rows starting from a adead weight every rep, to more mimic the clean.
    A correctly done row and a correctly done clean should bear absolutely no resemblance to each each other, period.

ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    What people are calling "Pendlay rows" are basically strict barbell rows. The reps are not assisted by motion at the waist, and the critical feature is that every rep is started from a dead stop on the ground.
    I thought the critical feature was using weights so light that most people would mistake it for part a BodyPump class.

Pendlay rows are exactly what this guy stated- super strict barbell rows. The form puts you in such a mechanically disadvantageous position, however, that you are forced to use bitch weights, thereby making the exercise pointless.
    I am the destroyer of worlds.

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/

Workout Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=382689241

ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    A correctly done row and a correctly done clean should bear absolutely no resemblance to each each other, period.
    Well, there is a barbell involved, haha.

TrunkZilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrunkZilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrunkZilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrunkZilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrunkZilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrunkZilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrunkZilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrunkZilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrunkZilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrunkZilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrunkZilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    pendlay rows = wide lats

Bb rows = thick back

this is how it worked for me

Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yeah i'm sure your lats and back are hyooooge at 6`0 and under 160lbs! I agree with ChaosAndPain, the 'Pendlay row' as everyone calls them sucks balls, stick to the standard heavy barbell row.

Indeed. If you want a wide back, do pullups, for ****'s sake.

craze9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) craze9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) craze9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) craze9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) craze9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To the OP: The "Pendlay Row" is a TYPE of Barbell Row, performed with back parallel to the floor and with the weight pulled dead from the ground each rep. Other kinds of Barbell Rows involve keeping the back at a 45 degree angle and holding the bar in the air at arm's length between reps.

As to what kind of BB Row is most effective, who knows, though it is worth noting that a lot of good coaches including Rippetoe and Glenn Pendlay advocate rowing from the floor.

As for ChaosandPain and UKLifter - just because you don't know how to perform a lift properly and/or are weak at it does not mean the lift is useless. Your assertion that the Pendlay Row doesn't allow you to use heavy weight is simply false - people have rowed over 400 lbs with this form. I tend to think that the fact that you pull the bar "dead" each rep helps increase the weight. I can Pendlay row 5 sets of 5 reps at 225lbs - probably more than I can do with other BB Row form, though I haven't tested this.

Fisty_McGhee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fisty_McGhee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fisty_McGhee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fisty_McGhee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fisty_McGhee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fisty_McGhee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fisty_McGhee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fisty_McGhee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fisty_McGhee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fisty_McGhee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fisty_McGhee is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The Pendlay basically removes the stabilizers from the equation. A standard barbell row is more of a core movement because so many other muscles are required to maintain the form.

If you do deadlifts first on back the Pendlay row is friendlier to your lower back afterwards.

I've always done rows parallel to the floor because to me it's the horizontal pull equivalent of the horizontal push bench press.

ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ChAoSandPAIN View Post
    you are forced to use bitch weights, thereby making the exercise pointless.
    lol

Just because you have to sacrifice weight in order to obtain perfect form in an exercise that is an excellent tool to building upper back strength and mass doesn't make it useless.

Are front squats useless because you squat less with those then you do with back squats? No

Is a floor press superior to a bench press because you can lift more weight? No

Every exercise has it's place. Now weather or not that exercise is valid or important enough for your own goals is a completely different story. Regardless, pendlay rows are a great exercise for building your upper back, and suit most beginners better than other row forms.

plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ThiZzNation925 View Post
    lol

Just because you have to sacrifice weight in order to obtain perfect form in an exercise that is an excellent tool to building upper back strength and mass doesn't make it useless.

Are front squats useless because you squat less with those then you do with back squats? No

Every exercise has it's place. Now weather or not that exercise is valid or important enough for your own goals is a completely different story. Regardless, pendlay rows are a great exercise for building your upper back, and suit most beginners better than other row forms.
    you need heavy weight to build mass. as far as front squats there is less weight than back squats because you hams and glutes are pretty much out of play. but i see what your sayin. i personally do heavy ass rows. i love front squats and am up to almost 315 but for back you have to row heavy.
    EAT!!!!!!! TRAIN!!!!!!!!! SLEEP!!!!!!!!! GROW!!!!!!!!!

Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Pick one of the damn rows, stick with it, and keep adding weight as often as you can without sacrificing form. When you stall with one particular style, switch to the other one.

plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Arlecchino View Post
    Pick one of the damn rows, stick with it, and keep adding weight as often as you can without sacrificing form. When you stall with one particular style, switch to the other one.
    nuff said.

Originally Posted by Arlecchino View Post
    dude... who's dick did you suck to get all that rep power? i think thats the most i have seen geeeezz.

jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I thought the critical feature was using weights so light that most people would mistake it for part a BodyPump class.

Pendlay rows are exactly what this guy stated- super strict barbell rows. The form puts you in such a mechanically disadvantageous position, however, that you are forced to use bitch weights, thereby making the exercise pointless.
    no. people have done tons of weight on pendlay rows. just go on youtube...

Originally Posted by TrunkZilla View Post
    pendlay rows = wide lats

Bb rows = thick back

this is how it worked for me
    lulz. ok

Originally Posted by Uk Lifter View Post
    Yeah i'm sure your lats and back are hyooooge at 6`0 and under 160lbs! I agree with ChaosAndPain, the 'Pendlay row' as everyone calls them sucks balls, stick to the standard heavy barbell row.
    im willing to bet you've never even tried the exercise

Indeed. If you want a wide back, do pullups, for ****'s sake.
    yea pullups are the only good lat builder!!!!

Originally Posted by craze9 View Post
    To the OP: The "Pendlay Row" is a TYPE of Barbell Row, performed with back parallel to the floor and with the weight pulled dead from the ground each rep. Other kinds of Barbell Rows involve keeping the back at a 45 degree angle and holding the bar in the air at arm's length between reps.

As to what kind of BB Row is most effective, who knows, though it is worth noting that a lot of good coaches including Rippetoe and Glenn Pendlay advocate rowing from the floor.

As for ChaosandPain and UKLifter - just because you don't know how to perform a lift properly and/or are weak at it does not mean the lift is useless. Your assertion that the Pendlay Row doesn't allow you to use heavy weight is simply false - people have rowed over 400 lbs with this form. I tend to think that the fact that you pull the bar "dead" each rep helps increase the weight. I can Pendlay row 5 sets of 5 reps at 225lbs - probably more than I can do with other BB Row form, though I haven't tested this.
    this.

Originally Posted by Fisty_McGhee View Post
    The Pendlay basically removes the stabilizers from the equation. A standard barbell row is more of a core movement because so many other muscles are required to maintain the form.

If you do deadlifts first on back the Pendlay row is friendlier to your lower back afterwards.

I've always done rows parallel to the floor because to me it's the horizontal pull equivalent of the horizontal push bench press.
    dude. your torso moves a little bit. if you're using heavy weights, you move your torso up a little bit to get it off the ground then you pull. rip knows this..

Originally Posted by ThiZzNation925 View Post
    lol

this. but pendlay rows for upper back???? its a lat exercise brah. bent over bb rows work more of the upper back.. although still mainly lats if done right

Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yep have tried them and hated them, i'd rather get the bar off the pins and rep out some rows the old fashioned way rather than trying to use it as a heavy explosive movement off the floor, in my opinion barbell rows are an exercise for strengthening the upper back rather than developing an explosive pull.

tank351 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jgrube View Post
    no. people have done tons of weight on pendlay rows. just go on youtube...

lulz. ok

im willing to bet you've never even tried the exercise

yea pullups are the only good lat builder!!!!

this.

dude. your torso moves a little bit. if you're using heavy weights, you move your torso up a little bit to get it off the ground then you pull. rip knows this..

this. but pendlay rows for upper back???? its a lat exercise brah. bent over bb rows work more of the upper back.. although still mainly lats if done right
    in what world does standard barbell row work upper back than pendlay row? and no barbell row is not a lat exercise its an upper back exercise and pendlay works the upper back more than the standard row because you're more barallel to the ground and you have to pull the weight closer to your chese thus working upper back more

DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50)

This guy can't use anything but ***** weights for pendalays and whines about it rather than get better. I'm a novice and I can pendalay a decent amount of weight. I haven't done a BOR in a while, but I don't find that the weights are THAT different, probably because I didn't use ****ty form on my BOR.

Edit: And yes, I agree. The dead stop helps. I can pendalay more than I can BOR because of it. Or at least more reps with the same weight.

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Not exactly b*tch weight here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrToOAmI9Ew
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)