Registered User FitnessScotland's Avatar
    Location: Glasgow, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    FitnessScotland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Newbies Routine for Building Muscle

I'm 185 llbs, 25.4% bodyfat (albeit on the dodgy scales, so I'm thinking more 20% looking at similar builds on here), and am looking to gradually build muscle, stay around the same weight, and drop bodyfat down to around 10%.

The advice I have had is to eat clean at around 2300 calories per day, keep the fat low but the protein high and the carbs reasonably high as well (probably a 50/30/20 split).

In terms of a programme, I can commit 3 days per week to it, sometimes 4.

I was thinking of:

1st day - Chest / Biceps / Quads & Hams (total exercises - 7, time spent - 1 hour)

2nd Day - Shoulders & back / triceps / calves (total exercises - 8, time spent - 1 hour)

3rd day - Chest / Biceps / Quads & Hams (total exercises - 7, time spent - 1 hour)

4th Day - Shoulders & back / triceps / calves (total exercises - 8, time spent - 1 hour)

Every day Abs - 250 reps per day of 5 different exercises.

The exercises I do on days 1 & 3 will be quite different (same with 2 & 4), despite working the same body parts. So although it will be 7 exercises, they will be different to the 7 I did earlier in the week. I do not want too rigid a routine!

Combined with a solid clean diet, is this a decent enough routine for me to see good progress over the next 3 months ? My target is to get as close to 10% BF as I can by the end of 2009, so would be looking to have dropped from 20% to 15% or so by the end of the summer as I know the initial gains are always the most dramatic, then it gets really hard !

Thanks for any words of advice or encouragement !
    The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    A couple of things; what you've posted is a "split;" a "routine" will list each exercise, with sets/reps also listed.

It's not necessary, or a good idea, to work your abs every day. They're a muscle group like any other; you don't get definition by training them to excess. They also get a lot of work as supporting muscles during other exercises.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    A couple of things; what you've posted is a "split;" a "routine" will list each exercise, with sets/reps also listed.

It's not necessary, or a good idea, to work your abs every day. They're a muscle group like any other; you don't get definition by training them to excess. They also get a lot of work as supporting muscles during other exercises.

Thanks for that, yes a 'split' then rather than an actual routine then, sorry. I do around 7 exercises in each 1 hours session, plus abs. I work on 2 main body parts plus throw in a different legs exercise in each session. I pyramid down on the reps (12/10/8) whilst up on the weights (i.e. Bench press 160/170/180 llbs).

An example of today's workout would be (excuse my ignorance of the correct names for some of the exercises):

Flat bench press - 12/10/8, Incline dumbell flys - 12/10/8, Standing Barbell Curls 12/10/8, Chin-ups (biceps) - 12/10/8, Pec deck - 12/10/8, cable crossover flys (for chest) - 12/10/8, leg press - 12/10/8 and 200 x abs (various exercises). This is fairly typical of a chest and biceps day.

Hope this clarifies a little better, and please excuse the dodgy naming of some of the exercises, hope you can figure out what I mean.
    The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Just about anything will work, if you put enough effort into it, but there's sometimes a more efficient way to train. First, you need to determine how many days a week you will definitely dedicate to training, week-in, week-out. You have to be honest with yourself; don't think you'll train 4 days, when you know it'll only be 3. You have to decide this first, before you can proceed.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Just about anything will work, if you put enough effort into it, but there's sometimes a more efficient way to train. First, you need to determine how many days a week you will definitely dedicate to training, week-in, week-out. You have to be honest with yourself; don't think you'll train 4 days, when you know it'll only be 3. You have to decide this first, before you can proceed.

I guess it will DEFINITELY be three per week, sometimes four, but the weeks I do four I can add in a few different things to mix it up a bit.

I will never do less than 3, unless I am out of the country on holiday, and even then I will try to do one of the programmes from p90x for an hour instead of a workout.

Be Better Than Yesterday was140's Avatar
    was140 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) was140 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) was140 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) was140 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) was140 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) was140 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) was140 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) was140 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) was140 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) was140 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) was140 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Everyday abs is a bad idea. I do one day at home and a few days later at the gym with weight.
    If it is important to you,
    You will find a way.

If not you will find an excuse.

flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why don't you just pick one of the proven beginner's routines: Rippetoe's, Madcow, etc...

Creating your own routine at an amateur stage doesn't make much sense.
    Milk and Squats FTW!