sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Exclamation Didn't get enough feedback so

Posting it again! I have started working out about a month ago. I do 3 days in a row and then I take 1 day of rest and go all over. On the 1st day I do legs then on the 2nd chest/shoulders/tri/traps then on the 3rd day I do back/bi/forearm. Many people on this forum have told me that I must be over training while working out like this... So I am thinking of working out 5 days straight, then taking a day break and going all over. I am assuming it would be better for my body to take the pressure of what I do in 5 days then in 3. Please tell me what you think? Give me any suggestions, criticism is welcomed. And if you do agree that 5 days and 1 rest is better then what I do now, please suggest on how to break the days up! THANKS A BUNCH in advance!
    Jesus is the only way!

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Its quite simple, go on a program that has worked for others in a similiar situation. At your stage of the game, you are in no way ready to make a routine of your own. Try max-ot or another simple program that concentrates on adding weight to the bar and scale to get big.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SuicideGripMe View Post
    Its quite simple, go on a program that has worked for others in a similiar situation. At your stage of the game, you are in no way ready to make a routine of your own. Try max-ot or another simple program that concentrates on adding weight to the bar and scale to get big.
    I don't have a barbell to use! Dumbbells and some machinery.
    Jesus is the only way!

flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flat6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sparty3 View Post
    I don't have a barbell to use! Dumbbells and some machinery.
    Buy a barbell.

Or... you can do all of the routines in Rippetoe's with dumbbells...
    Milk and Squats FTW!

SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Posting it again! I have started working out about a month ago. I do 3 days in a row and then I take 1 day of rest and go all over. On the 1st day I do legs then on the 2nd chest/shoulders/tri/traps then on the 3rd day I do back/bi/forearm. Many people on this forum have told me that I must be over training while working out like this... So I am thinking of working out 5 days straight, then taking a day break and going all over. I am assuming it would be better for my body to take the pressure of what I do in 5 days then in 3. Please tell me what you think? Give me any suggestions, criticism is welcomed. And if you do agree that 5 days and 1 rest is better then what I do now, please suggest on how to break the days up! THANKS A BUNCH in advance!
    too many mistakes in that program to list, if you havent had much luck growing with it, then your program is most likely the reason. Some of your grouping is not very efficient, and resting 1 day isnt enough. So instead of trying to point out things i dont think work well, I'll just simply give you a cycle that I follow, which is working well for me, so you can take it or leave it, since in the end its my opinion vs other ppl on this forum who might have a completely different outlook.

Mon - Deltoids, Triceps
    Tues - Back, Traps, Abs with only body weight
    Wed - Cardio, weighted Abs
    Thurs - Forearms, Legs
    Fri - Chest, Biceps, Abs with only body weight

then 2 days rest on the weekend.
    Aim to have your workouts span about 1 hour each session, and simply look up exercises for different body parts on BB.com, and put together what you need to do on each day to hit those muscle groups. Aim to have 5 sets per exercise, with reps between 3-10.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by SubTerran; 05-30-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Originally Posted by flat6 View Post
    Buy a barbell.

Or... you can do all of the routines in Rippetoe's with dumbbells...
    whats are rippetoe's?
    Jesus is the only way!

Originally Posted by SubTerran View Post
    too many mistakes in that program to list, if you havent had much luck growing with it, then your program is most likely the reason. Some of your grouping is not very efficient, and resting 1 day isnt enough. So instead of trying to point out things i dont think work well, I'll just simply give you a cycle that I follow, which is working well for me, so you can take it or leave it, since in the end its my opinion vs other ppl on this forum who might have a completely different outlook.

Mon - Deltoids, Triceps
    Tues - Back, Traps, Abs with only body weight
    Wed - Cardio, weighted Abs
    Thurs - Forearms, Legs
    Fri - Chest, Biceps, Abs with only body weight

then 2 days rest on the weekend.
    Aim to have your workouts span about 1 hour each session, and simply look up exercises for different body parts on BB.com, and put together what you need to do on each day to hit those muscle groups. Aim to have 5 sets per exercise, with reps between 3-10.

Hope this helps.
    Isnt 5 sets per exercise a bit too much?
    Jesus is the only way!

SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Isnt 5 sets per exercise a bit too much?
    thats what I thought myself at one point as well, until I met this monster dude at the gym who definitely convinced me otherwise and he's got serious results to show for his training methods. Aim to start with 50% of your max and work your way up in the sets, which is what I do. By the time you are done, your muscles should be burning.
    ps. keep about 4 -5 exercises per body part, so that would give you 5 sets with 5 exercises, 25 sets in total for each body part on that day on avg.
    Last edited by SubTerran; 05-30-2009 at 04:50 PM.

DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I do something similar to what you are doing. I do:

Day 1 - Chest/Tris
    Day 2 - Back/Bis
    Day 3 - Legs/Shoulders
    Day 4 - Light Cardio/Abs/Calfs

Repeat

I keep the volume around 5-7 exercises a day, 3 sets each. Its working great for me.
    Bench: 215x12 (17/12/2011) PR since torn RC

"Being the best in your circle is not enough; you have to think bigger to become a champion. Don’t think like a small fish in a big pond or else when you get to the ocean you’ll be eaten alive." - Fouad Abiad

"Proper preparation prevents poor performance," - Kai Greene

Originally Posted by SubTerran View Post
    thats what I thought myself at one point as well, until I met this monster dude at the gym who definitely convinced me otherwise and he's got serious results to show for his training methods. Aim to start with 50% of your max and work your way up in the sets, which is what I do. By the time you are done, your muscles should be burning.
    ps. keep about 4 -5 exercises per body part, so that would give you 5 sets with 5 exercises, 25 sets in total for each body part on that day on avg.
    Well when I do legs its Gluts, Quads, Hamstrings, Calves. If I do 5 ex for each with 5 sets... lol thats kinda way too many
    Jesus is the only way!

flcarolina13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do 5 days of lifting with 2 rest days a week that I take when I feel like I need it.

Day 1: Shoulders (5-6 lifts, 4 sets each, 8-10 reps)
    Day 2: Chest (6-7 lifts, 4-5 sets each, 6-10 reps)
    Day 3: Back (6-7 lifts, 4-5 sets each, 6-10 reps)
    Day 4: Bi's/Tri's (4 lifts bi's, 4 lifts tri's, 4-5 sets, 6-10 reps)
    Day 5: Legs (6-7 lifts, 5 sets each, 4-10 reps)

I get in abs 3-4 times a week, and cardio 2-3 times a week.

I usually end up resting after chest and legs because those are my most physically draining days, but sometimes it's after back. Take rest days when your body tells you too.

Registered User Myspacebarbroke's Avatar
    Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You cant really say whether or not your overtraining from a split alone, we'd have to know what your doing. BTW your only overtraining if your losing muscle, strength or are always tired and moody. Its alot harder to "overtrain" than people think.

Im curious about the traps on day 2. Why not simply do them after hitting your back? they are part of your back after all and most back exercises hit traps to some degree. You could be limiting the amount of weight you move on back day by exhausting them 1 day before. Move 'traps' to your leg day (after legs) and your good to go. What does your back day look like?

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Myspacebarbroke View Post
    You cant really say whether or not your overtraining from a split alone, we'd have to know what your doing. BTW your only overtraining if your losing muscle, strength or are always tired and moody. Its alot harder to "overtrain" than people think.

Im curious about the traps on day 2. Why not simply do them after hitting your back? they are part of your back after all and most back exercises hit traps to some degree. You could be limiting the amount of weight you move on back day by exhausting them 1 day before. Move 'traps' to your leg day (after legs) and your good to go. What does your back day look like?
    Lats:

Wide-Grip Pulldowns Behind The Neck
    Underhand Cable Pulldowns
    Cable Rope Rear-Delt Rows
    Straight-Arm Pulldown

Middle Back:

One-Arm Dumbbell Row
    Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row with Palms-In
    Middle Back Shrug
    Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row

Lower Back:

Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift
    Superman
    Weighted Ball Hyperxtension
    Hyperextensions (back extensions)
    Jesus is the only way!

Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Lats:

Wide-Grip Pulldowns Behind The Neck
    Underhand Cable Pulldowns
    Cable Rope Rear-Delt Rows
    Straight-Arm Pulldown

Middle Back:

One-Arm Dumbbell Row
    Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row with Palms-In
    Middle Back Shrug
    Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row

Lower Back:

Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift
    Superman
    Weighted Ball Hyperxtension
    Hyperextensions (back extensions)
    Sets? reps? is that the order you go in?

Ive never heard of a middle back shrug...

Sets? reps? is that the order you go in?

Ive never heard of a middle back shrug...
    I do each with 3 sets 8-12 reps. Middle Back Shrug I got from exercise section at super site. And yeah that's how I go at it. Whats wrong with it? Details please!!!
    Jesus is the only way!

36 sets for back??? and then you do bi's and forearms? holy crap...I hate the word but that is "overtraining". Whats good about it is that you get alot of angles and use db's. Whats bad is the order and volume. Heres some tips:

Deadlift first, heavy and more. Using a BB will let you pull more weight. Big compound movements come before isolation always.
    If you want thickness, do mid back movements next. If its width, do your lats before mid back.
    Finally you can do lower back isolation, u dont need supermen if your doing weighted back extensions.

What you dont need:
    Underhand cable pulldowns
    Cable rear delt rows (your rear delts need to be fresh for all your vertical and horizontal rowing, do them on shoulder day instead)
    Supermen and unweighted hyper extensions (theyre pointless if your already doing deads and weighted hyper extensions)
    2 db bent over row (1 db rows will do the job better if you dont cheat too much)

Your down to 21 sets, 23 if you do a couple extra sets of deads. You should be able to go heavier now which will help with mass, and you shouldn't overtrain if nutrition and rest are in order. Good luck.
    Last edited by Myspacebarbroke; 05-30-2009 at 06:38 PM.

36 sets for back??? and then you do bi's and forearms? holy crap...I hate the word but that is "overtraining". Whats good about it is that you get alot of angles and use db's. Whats bad is the order and volume. Heres some tips:

Deadlift first, heavy and more. Using a BB will let you pull more weight. Big compound movements come before isolation always.
    If you want thickness, do mid back movements next. If its width, do your lats before mid back.
    Finally you can do lower back isolation, u dont need supermen if your doing weighted back extensions.

What you dont need:
    Underhand cable pulldowns
    Cable rear delt rows (your rear delts need to be fresh for all your vertical and horizontal rowing, do them on shoulder day instead)
    Supermen and unweighted hyper extensions (theyre pointless if your already doing deads and weighted hyper extensions)
    2 db bent over row (1 db rows will do the job better if you dont cheat too much)

Your down to 21 sets, 23 if you do a couple extra sets of deads. You should be able to go heavier now which will help with mass, and you shouldn't overtrain if nutrition and rest are in order. Good luck.
    I cannot do that because I have no access to a barbell. Only dumbbells and some machinery. What I do in this case?
    Jesus is the only way!