aceshigh92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question I need help making a workout routine for the summer...

Hello everyone, I am new to the BodyBuilding boards, and I plan on getting on as much as I can.

I just need help making a workout routine for summer break that is coming up here. uh I am 16 years old, I am going into my Senior year of Highschool, I weigh 200 pounds and I am 6'0 tall. My main goal is to lose weight, and then when I am at the weight that I want, I want to tone my body. I am not very fat, but I am starting to get there.. I am getting to be a little husky. So what can I do over the summer for a workout routine to reach my goal? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by aceshigh92; 05-28-2009 at 10:03 PM.

obesebeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) obesebeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) obesebeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) obesebeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) obesebeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) obesebeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) obesebeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) obesebeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) obesebeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) obesebeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) obesebeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    at your age/size you've got so much potential with all the growth hormones floating around in your body, cutting or bulking should come easier than expected....oh how I wish I was 16 again, I spent my time at 16 playing counter-strike, was so worth it, not...anyways...

I'd eat ~3,000 cal/day if I were to follow a routine like this, at 3,000 cal, you're likely right around maintenance, if not below it, so long as you actually put in the work, while muscle gains may not occur, fat loss should, and strength should also go up, it's not going to be the fastest process in the world, but it should be hella fun.

I'd start out by eating 6x day, ~3hrs apart, evenly portioned meals.
    Try to make each meal include:
    1 serving whole grain - 150-200 cals
    1 serving lean protein - 100-150 cals
    1 serving fruit or veggie - 20-100 cals
    1/2 serving healthy fat - 50-100 cals

mix and match from these 4 categories to make some fun and interesting meals, don't limit yourself to the same boring foods every day, mix it up, add variety and it'll be much easier to stick with a meal plan. Don't forget to have a nice cheat pizza with you and your friends once a week to satisfy the mind, we don't want to go crazy eating clean. Remember, diet and willpower are your 2 best tools for any type of weight loss/gain/toning, not working out. All the working out & supplements in the world won't help if you don't have the diet and willpower in check, which is why I'm stressing it so much

So, as far as a routine, I prefer frequency based routines rather than volume, I find my recovery time is shortened significantly and I'm able to increase strength at a faster rate as well. You'll want to target the main 3 muscle groups, Legs, Chest, Back. Shoulders, arms, core while very superficial, are just that, superficial, they're a small muscle group and are hit indirectly via compound big 3 movements.

I'd begin the week with legs, they're the largest of the muscle groups and the workout should be the most intense one you have. I like to use a mix of compound and isolation lifts. For the compound lifts(squats, dead lifts, rack pulls, lunges) I'll tend to do a heavy doggcrapp set and follow it with 5 moderate heavy hypertrophy sets.

The doggcrapp set involves a heavy weight designed to mimic high intensity interval training. Basically you'll load up with a weight you feel comfortable you can rep maybe 8-10x. You'll do a set of 8 reps, rack the weight, take 10 deep breaths, another set of 4 reps, rack, 10 breaths, 3 reps, rack, breath, 2, 1 etc...for a total of 18 reps. You should be near dead after the full 18 reps are completed. Those 10 deep breaths should take no longer than 20-25 seconds to suck in.

The 5 hypertrophy sets are designed to increase your muscles endurance. I'd use a moderate-heavy weight, perhaps 60-65% of your 1 rep maximum. Try to bust out 5 sets of 10-15 reps. Resting ~30-45 seconds between sets. I like to use isolation lifts for these types of exercises(quad extensions, leg curls, dumbbell flies, bent rows).

I'd rest no more than 2-3 minutes between exercises, you want to be breathing like a locomotive and in and out of the gym as fast as possible, the longer you stay, the higher you raise your cortisol levels and the less effect a workout you'll have. Take no more than 1hr to complete the "main" part of your exercises. Begin with a nice 10minute session of cardio to warm up the body and follow it with 10 solid minutes of dynamic stretches aimed at the body parts about to be worked out. After the workout, another 10 minutes of static stretching should be performed and couple it with ~40g worth of protein, 60g worth of carbs and minimal fat. A nice big turkey sandwich on a bagel with plenty of green veggies would suffice or many people just like to chug a gatorade and 2 protein shakes, I prefer whole foods though

As far as cardio, I wouldn't do it after lifting, especially on leg day, if you can run after doing legs, you didn't do a proper legs day. I'd split my cardio up into some other time of the day.

I'd aim for 6-9 total exercises each time out, generally 1 doggcrapp set per muscle group and then 1-2 hypertrophy sets per muscle group.

Day 1 - Legs(Quads, Hams, Glutes, Low Back) + No Cardio
    Day 2 - Chest/Back/Shoulders + HIIT Cardio
    Day 3 - Traps/Shoulders/Arms + No Cardio
    Day 4 - Rest + LISS or HIIT Cardio
    repeat

Remember to get that rest and stretch, they're just as important as lifting to your body, do not neglect them! Hope this helps and feel free to ask more, as you can see I love to rant and envy your age! Do work son!
    Eat Clean Snatch & Jerk