mattcoello has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Should i take whey protein on days i dont work out?

Hi, ive been working out for about a month now and ive gained about 10 lbs of muscle so far. I just started a workout where i do

Mon:
    Chest/tri

Tues:
    Legs

Wed:
    Rest day

Thurs:
    Shoulders

Fri:
    Back/Bi

Sat and Sun:
    Rest days

I was wondering if i should be taking protein on my rest days, if so how much?

SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mattcoello View Post
    Hi, ive been working out for about a month now and ive gained about 10 lbs of muscle so far. I just started a workout where i do

Mon:
    Chest/tri

Tues:
    Legs

Wed:
    Rest day

Thurs:
    Shoulders

Fri:
    Back/Bi

Sat and Sun:
    Rest days

Just eat a normal diet. Really, this stuff is not needed at all. However, taking in some protein after a workout is beneficial in terms of improving muscle mass. If you have it just take it immediately after your workout and focus on a regular diet the rest of the time. If you haven't bought it just drink something like milk after your workout. You really only need about 10-20 grams of protein within an after your workout to have the anabolic affect which you can easily get from a glass of milk. Then 1-2 hours after your workout try and eat a regular meal consisting of real food and not supplements. Anything beyond that really isn't all that necessary.

mckeegs104 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if ur trying to gain weight id suggest the protein everyday. But that depends on if ur having a hard time eating enough protein in ur daily feeding. u should at least be eating 150g of protein a day AT LEAST if ur trying to add on sum pounds. But whatever u do make sure u drink the protein right after workouts.

Originally Posted by SumDumGoi View Post
    Just eat a normal diet. Really, this stuff is not needed at all. However, taking in some protein after a workout is beneficial in terms of improving muscle mass. If you have it just take it immediately after your workout and focus on a regular diet the rest of the time. If you haven't bought it just drink something like milk after your workout. You really only need about 10-20 grams of protein within an after your workout to have the anabolic affect which you can easily get from a glass of milk. Then 1-2 hours after your workout try and eat a regular meal consisting of real food and not supplements. Anything beyond that really isn't all that necessary.
    I usually have a shake (about 30g of protein) right after i work out, and then one right before i go to sleep, i just wanted to know if i'd be overdoing it by taking them on my rest days, i figured that there wouldnt be any downsides to taking them when i didnt work out, but if so plz let me know

Originally Posted by mckeegs104 View Post
    if ur trying to gain weight id suggest the protein everyday. But that depends on if ur having a hard time eating enough protein in ur daily feeding. u should at least be eating 150g of protein a day AT LEAST if ur trying to add on sum pounds. But whatever u do make sure u drink the protein right after workouts.
    Yea i definitely wanna gain weight, i weigh about 160 right now, trying to get up to 180, i dont think i get 150g a day without the shakes though

mckeegs104 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    stick with the shakes then..they wont hurt u..only help..eat a ton of chicken too...chicken..steak..fish all meat!! get that protein in u. I was in the same boat as u...weighed 155 now im 177 and its getting easier to gain weight.

SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I usually have a shake (about 30g of protein) right after i work out, and then one right before i go to sleep, i just wanted to know if i'd be overdoing it by taking them on my rest days, i figured that there wouldnt be any downsides to taking them when i didnt work out, but if so plz let me know
    If you need extra Calories feel free to take it. Just don't feel that those Calories have to come exclusively from Protein. 99% of the time if you are not taking in enough protein in your diet you are also not taking in enough Calories and that is the real issue.

Also, the amount of Protein that you need for muscular growth is between 0.5-0.8 grams per pound of body weight. Anything above this has been shown to have no additional benefit outside of increasing total Calories. The average diet is already comprised of this much Protein. However, the timing can be important as in eating some Protein immediately after your workout does enhance protein synthesis.
    Last edited by SumDumGoi; 05-28-2009 at 10:04 AM.

alright thanks guys!

imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You'll want to find out how much protein you need a day and take whey protein accordingly (supplementing with a diet). Most people use the standard rule of 1g per pound of bodyweight. So if you are 150lbs, take 150g of protein in a day.
    akkxn - just lift heavy ****.

IndyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IndyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IndyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IndyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IndyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IndyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IndyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IndyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IndyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IndyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IndyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I drink two to three protein shakes a day regardless of whether it is a workout day or not. I went from 155 in February to 174, as of today.

Like was said before... it won't hurt you and if you're looking to pack on the pounds the extra calories will only help.

rtrackstar25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Matt, if you've gained 10lbs in a month then what you're doing is working. I've never been one to limit protein shakes to just workout days. Just keep in mind protein shakes should be a supplement and sometimes a meal replacement. Real meals if time allows, are always number one on my list, whether it be for protein or calories. Good luck though.
    "PAIN IS TEMPORARY, VICTORY IS FOREVER"

grofvtx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grofvtx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grofvtx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grofvtx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grofvtx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grofvtx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grofvtx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grofvtx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grofvtx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grofvtx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grofvtx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Mon:
    Chest/tri

Tues:
    Legs

Wed:
    Rest day

Thurs:
    Shoulders

Fri:
    Back/Bi

Sat and Sun:
    Rest days

why not you need proteins anyway, maby use less carbs and fat so you stay lean.

DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nice gains so far dude!! I'm virtually clapping you on the back!!

I still take protein on off days. Your off days are when your healing and your muscles are growing right? For your muscles to grow, you need protein! So take it on off days too. I just take one on off days instead of two. Mid day or before bed.
    Bench: 215x12 (17/12/2011) PR since torn RC

"Being the best in your circle is not enough; you have to think bigger to become a champion. Don’t think like a small fish in a big pond or else when you get to the ocean you’ll be eaten alive." - Fouad Abiad

"Proper preparation prevents poor performance," - Kai Greene

Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My logic has always told me that since my muscles are healing/growing even on off days, then I need to be keeping my protein intake up on those days as well as training days.

DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Joelift View Post
    My logic has always told me that since my muscles are healing/growing even on off days, then I need to be keeping my protein intake up on those days as well as training days.
    Good logic!
    Bench: 215x12 (17/12/2011) PR since torn RC

"Being the best in your circle is not enough; you have to think bigger to become a champion. Don’t think like a small fish in a big pond or else when you get to the ocean you’ll be eaten alive." - Fouad Abiad

"Proper preparation prevents poor performance," - Kai Greene

ZaidMuscle80 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ZaidMuscle80 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ZaidMuscle80 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ZaidMuscle80 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ZaidMuscle80 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ZaidMuscle80 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ZaidMuscle80 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ZaidMuscle80 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ZaidMuscle80 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ZaidMuscle80 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ZaidMuscle80 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by SumDumGoi View Post
    ?????????
    eat normal diet w/o any supplements??
    you sounds like my mom loooool

TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sahilarora73 View Post
    Yes you should take whey protein on non gym days because taking it on non gym days increases the body muscle growth the most as compared to taking on gym day. I am taking whey protein from 6 months and I take it daily. The results I have achieved are great and now I am very happy with my muscle growth.
    8 year old thread. GFTO. Negged.
    Current PRs: (S/B/D) 145kg / 100kg / 180kg // 2018 goal PRs: 160kg / 110kg / 190kg

log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174500821

Fat fake natty mansloot of the FMH crew