Spetsnazos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spetsnazos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spetsnazos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spetsnazos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spetsnazos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spetsnazos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spetsnazos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spetsnazos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spetsnazos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spetsnazos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spetsnazos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Labrum surgery - - Labrum tear

So I just had my labrum surgery a week ago and I thought to post up here and see if anyone had any tips and such. I did a search and read some prior threads, going to use the advice there.

Heres how the injury happened:

I was cycling to uni rushing to class. This douchebag was parked in a red(NO PARKING) area, but I went around him. I thought there was no curb around the van but there was, I had little to no time to react so I hit the curb and went flying. Landed on my outstretched arms. All pain was felt in my right shoulder. I got up and first thing I thought was, 'HOLY **** THIS HURTS'. Didnt think too much and rushed to class. For the next few weeks my shoulder was in massive pain, esp while sleeping.

Prior to surgery:

I had to go through doctors and such doing MRI's to get it diagnosed. First ortho I went to said he was incapable of doing my surgery due to the nature of teh injury. Second ortho I went to was very professional(current doc) and he supposedly has done this surgery on alot of professional athletes. He seemed very confident which made me feel safe.

Surgery:

It took about 1hour for my surgery. I think its torn 6-12 ocklock position, i'll confirm with doc with my post op which is next tuesday. Man I felt good after surgery. I was delirious as I was talking to my mom but no pain AT all. I was chillin most of the day, gf came over and no biggie. I even took my usualy 2pm nap, which followed a good night sleep.

Post Surgery:

The next day after surgery was pain beyond epic proportions. I swear it hurt so damn much I was forced to take Vicodin(I hate meds). I was taking it on 4 hour intervals as prescribed and watching the clock sometimes waiting to take another pill...Sleeping was terrible, couldnt sleep it hurt so bad.

Now, 5 days after surgery it is alot better but still pain. I dont remove the sling other than to put my shirt on. I dont move it weird and I am now able to type and such.

My doc told me I could go back to cycling in 6 weeks but I will have discomfort. I am going to confirm that with him, really praying for it because if I get fat I'm going to hate myself. Next week I'll be in the gym on the stationary bike or something, I cannot get fat....

Although leading up to my surgery I had little pain(I could bench press 225 and do most exercises without pain), I was still limited. No way in hell could I do pullups, swim or shoulder presses.

I'm hoping for a speedy recovery. Doc says I should be able to swim in 3months.

Zaaaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zaaaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zaaaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zaaaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zaaaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zaaaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zaaaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zaaaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zaaaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zaaaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zaaaj will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I usually lurk these forums, but I happen to have had the same sort of injury and surgery you had on both of my shoulders. I also am a swimmer and this happened to me about 3-4 years ago. Mine wasn't really a trauma however, I took some time off from swimming and when I hit the pool again I knew something was wrong. So I can definately relate to your being able to do benches but then some other things just go straight to hell.

I have small plastic screws in both of my shoulders. I now have full range of motion and then some, a slight noticeable weakness doing certain lifts, and I am afraid to do certain exercises like dips and side planks. However my swimming times are as good as they were when I was much younger (I was 16? when this happened), I'm pulling a 50 second 100 fly so I suppose I did not lose too much.

My biggest recommendation is too eat well and rest your shoulders, do not sleep on your side for a very long time, make sure your arms are well supported when doing something simple like typing on the computer. I assume you have some scheduled rehab? Take it very seriously and even ask for more.

Its a very slow and difficult recovery, 3 months would be a huge miracle, but then again I did not take the rehab very seriously and that is something I totally regret. Ice is your friend, but don't overdo it because it only slightly helps.