reptileranger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reptileranger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Elbow Tendinitis

For the past 6 weeks or so I've developed tendinitis in both my elbows, each week getting worse and more painful. It's gotten so bad it hurts to flex. Unfortunately, this new challenge has started me on a backward path in strength and mentallity. I've been fighting the best I can with wraps and ibuprofin while trying to figure out other execises I can perform to get around the pain. The most difficult exercises to perform were for the bicept and tricept. Straight bar curls and skull crunchers are the most painful to do and I have had to eliminate doing them, very discouraging.

My latest solution for bicept has been preacher curls on a machine (lighter weight strict form) and a 45 degree dumbell hammer curl (lighter weight strict form). Min. 6 sets each. For tricepts pull downs on the rope with machine and behind the head pulls also on the machine. And finish with a single arm backhand pull on machine. Min. 4 sets each. I will continue to look for more exercise solutions and open to any suggestions. I've been making great gains in strength and physique since Feb of this year and I will not go down without a fight!

psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    unfortunately, this was one problem I was never able to work around. I had to give it plenty of rest and even had to resort to cortizone shots on a few ocassions.

Once this pain does go away, look at exercises to strengthen the top of the forearm.
    BRB, going hunting...

plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000)

Smile

Originally Posted by reptileranger View Post
    For the past 6 weeks or so I've developed tendinitis in both my elbows, each week getting worse and more painful. It's gotten so bad it hurts to flex. Unfortunately, this new challenge has started me on a backward path in strength and mentallity. I've been fighting the best I can with wraps and ibuprofin while trying to figure out other execises I can perform to get around the pain. The most difficult exercises to perform were for the bicept and tricept. Straight bar curls and skull crunchers are the most painful to do and I have had to eliminate doing them, very discouraging.

My latest solution for bicept has been preacher curls on a machine (lighter weight strict form) and a 45 degree dumbell hammer curl (lighter weight strict form). Min. 6 sets each. For tricepts pull downs on the rope with machine and behind the head pulls also on the machine. And finish with a single arm backhand pull on machine. Min. 4 sets each. I will continue to look for more exercise solutions and open to any suggestions. I've been making great gains in strength and physique since Feb of this year and I will not go down without a fight!
    If you want the elbow to heal.........give it alot of rest. Thats the ONLY way to get rid of tennis elbow or golfers elbow. You may always have to deal with a certain amount of pain in this area but you can control it if your smart.

After a few weeks or months (depending on how bad it is) of not lifting for upperbody at all when the pain is gone.......start a very light rehab for your elbow (not lifting weights but REHAB FOR THE ELBOW) and do that until your elbow/forearm is stronger and then return (SLOWLY) to training.

Done any other way............you may really, really regret it in the long run.

By the way..........now is a good time to hammer the legs. I had/have this problem and I put over 2 inches on my thighs and 3/8 inch on my calves by training legs three days a week...........

arch47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) arch47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) arch47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) arch47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) arch47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) arch47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Search this Site

I totally understand this situation as I have/ had this condition. I got a lot of information on this site by going to the articles section and plug in "Tendonitis/ Tendonosis." There is an article there on this topic that may help you. It will tell you how to react to each condition.

jackfit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I feel your pain

I've been working around golfers elbow for the past few months. I have my good and bad days, and I've learned what my limitations are. I've also learned how to give those tendons a good stretch, and aggressive massages to loosen adhesions.

Good luck.

4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ice and the arm band has been helping me. Sissus too.

reptileranger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reptileranger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

tendinitis

Thanks for the info and letting me know that I'm not the only one struggling with this. I'm not looking forward to taking time off, but that's what I may have to do. My biggest fear is losing anything that I have gained.

One of the main reasons for my tendinitis is the way I sleep; either my head resting on my arm or my arm hanging over the edge. It seems to put constant pressure on my elbow. I'm working on changing this habit too.

Here is my progress since Feb 2009. Trading lots of fat for muscle.
    Attached Images

plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000)

Smile

Thanks for the info and letting me know that I'm not the only one struggling with this. I'm not looking forward to taking time off, but that's what I may have to do. My biggest fear is losing anything that I have gained.

One of the main reasons for my tendinitis is the way I sleep; either my head resting on my arm or my arm hanging over the edge. It seems to put constant pressure on my elbow. I'm working on changing this habit too.

Here is my progress since Feb 2009. Trading lots of fat for muscle.
    first.......congrats on the progress you've made so far. As far as keeping it during your down time from the tennis elbow.......all you can do is keep your diet clean as you can and hammer your legs often while giving the upperbody tons of rest so your elbow can heal. The more you use the arm the worse it will get which means even more down time in the long run.

This is what I did while I was down from my injury (tennis elbow) that lasted eight months to date:

I rotated this from week to week.......

first week

mon........heavy back squats (wide stance), hypers and calves
    tue.....off
    wed........high rep front squats, heavy leg curls and calves
    thurs.......off
    fri...........heavy leg press (feet high and wide), hypers and calves
    sat.........one hour cardio
    sun......off

second week

mon.........high rep back squats (close stance), heavy leg curls and calves
    tue..........off
    wed...........high rep front squats, high rep leg ext and calves
    thur.......off
    fri..............heavy leg press (feet high and wide), hypers and calves
    sat......one hour cardio
    sun.......off

I took complete week off every third week from all weights and did cardio on mon, wed and fri for an hour each time.

after the week off...........go back to week one and so on.......

by the way, keep the number of sets down but the intensity up and if you have the same luck I did..........you will gain some size and strength on the glutes, quads, hams and calves. Not to mention my lower back feels better now than it did when I was in my 20's.

Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    take SEATONE for 3months 2 pills a day
    saved my rotator cuff
    avoid locking when doing triceps (keep constant tension)
    evoid flat EZ extensions with locking
    wear elbows warmup stuff
    take also a good gluco chondro product

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    what is it that you think is causing the tendonitis? Sleeping on them, unlikely. what is the rest of your workout like?

MAXIMUS#24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MAXIMUS#24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MAXIMUS#24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MAXIMUS#24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MAXIMUS#24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MAXIMUS#24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MAXIMUS#24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MAXIMUS#24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MAXIMUS#24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MAXIMUS#24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MAXIMUS#24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had that problem in my right elbow on & off for years. I had very good results putting elbow in a bucket of ice water; in for 20 out for 20 and so on. very good for the pain too. You will need to give it rest too, no other way around that, 2 or 3 weeks then slowly working it lightly. good luck.

uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MAXIMUS#24 View Post
    I had that problem in my right elbow on & off for years. I had very good results putting elbow in a bucket of ice water; in for 20 out for 20 and so on. very good for the pain too. You will need to give it rest too, no other way around that, 2 or 3 weeks then slowly working it lightly. good luck.
    For both shoulder and elbow problems I found that dropping back to a very light weight that doesn't cause pain and doing high reps works --I think the high reps helps get blood to the area for healing --then gradually add weight

This has worked for me in my 40s 50s 60s and 70s and I have never had to completely abandon training
    I know muscle has a memory but I think mine has Alzheimers

sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've had it off and on for 30 years. It usually indicated that I was working too much. Discovering that I can get the same results with less frequency has all but eliminated future occurrances.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by uncbob View Post
    For both shoulder and elbow problems I found that dropping back to a very light weight that doesn't cause pain and doing high reps works --I think the high reps helps get blood to the area for healing --then gradually add weight

This has worked for me in my 40s 50s 60s and 70s and I have never had to completely abandon training
    X2.. that is the correct way to get over these type of "injuries" be it a muscle belly or tendons injury like tennis/golfer's elbow

Rest alone is not going to cut it , you need to stretch , work and strengthen the ligaments
    in extreme cases surgery is the only option, everything that applies for carpal tunnel is also valid for tennis/golfer's elbow
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

I have been overworking bicpts at 2X a week. Probably feeling I wasn't doing enough work the first time, although I'm not a slacker in working it.

I will start working on legs and more cardio during this time. I will also work on the rehab of the elbow and look into adding a suppliment.

You guys have been awsome, thanks for your help and suggestions. See you in few months.

PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would look up the difference between "tendinitis" and "tendinosis" (anyplace like wikipedia will do). Especially it it is something that keeps coming back, or persists for weeks.

It took me a while to get to the bottom of my elbow problems, and what works for one person may not work for another, because the same problem may have different causes in different people.

jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If conservative care such as over-the-counter dosing of Naproxen (aleive) or Motrin, ice, elbow straps and rest haven't worked, it's time to see your medical provider. I had this same problem in 2001 as a newly graduated Physician Assistant and, thinking I must know how to treat this, waited too long to be seen. Eventually, after physical therapy, one round of injections and lots of pain, I had to have surgery on both to correct it.

Lesson learned: don't train through pain and see your medical provider earlier than not. Also, studies show the one year success rate after injections is worse than those who did conservative care and physical therapy.
    "I won't let go
    of that youthful soul
    despite body and mind
    my youth will never die..."

Creed