jmh332ab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My Pull/push/squat routine

i know that everyone reacts differently to training volume, etc.. so I am going to go ahead and try this out for myself to see if it works for me, but i am curious if anyone else has had experience with a program that looks similar to this. In your opinion, does it look like too much?

Monday-Pull
    Deadlift - 5x6,5,5,5,4
    Pull-up - 5xfailure or weighted but no more than 12 reps
    BB or DB row - 4x6-8
    Romanian DL's - 4x6-8
    Leg Curl - 2x10-12
    Hyper's - 2x8-12
    BB curl - 3x6-10
    Hammer curls - 3x6-10
    Ab work

Wednesday-Push
    Flat DB/BB press - 4x8,6,6,5
    Incline DB/BB press - 3x8,6,5
    Shoulder press - 3x8,6,5
    Arnold press - 3x6-8
    Close Grip Bench press - 2x6-8
    Dips - 3x6-10
    Pressdowns - 3x6-10

Friday-Squat day
    Sqauts - 4x8,6,6,5
    Power Cleans - 4x3-5
    Split Squats - 3x6-10
    Leg Extensions - 2x10-12
    Ab work

Saturday
    I was thinking of going into the gym Saturday to do 3x10,8,6 of flat and incline bench each, as well as some plyo pushups. I will have had 3 days rest from my press day on Wed. and wont work it again for another 4 days the following Wed. so I am thinking I will have ample time to recover.

OR instead of doing weights Saturday I was considering doing my pull and push day back to back, Mon, Tues, with the squat day on thur, and on friday do a combo pull/push day. 2 back exercises and 2 chest. For example pull-ups, rows, and flat and incline press with similar volumes as their main work days, and some plyo pushups do finish off the workout.
    I also do HIIT on Tues and Thur, and lower intensity cardio after my workouts on M,W,F

I'm 190, I take in around 230 g of protein/day, 200 g carbs/day, 75 g fat/day
    I supplement with Whey/casein protein, beta-alanine, bcaa's, multi, fish oil, cissus, and i use universal shock therapy for a pre-workout supp. All feedback is appreciated
    Last edited by jmh332ab; 05-26-2009 at 05:22 PM.

bump

closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) closser45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I like that you included power cleans. Looks like a solid routine to me tho.

tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Looks like alot of volume to me...... I did a simple Push , Pull , Leg workout for sometime that worked well ( 3 days a week thats all ) with compound lift and a few isolation movement..

appreciate the comments guys. Yeh im a big fan of power cleans, great for overall explosiveness and power that will def improve any other lift you do.
    i kind of agree about the too much volume thing, i believe im just trying to over think what should just be a simple 3 day push/pull/squat routine, but ill try this for a couple of weeks, if its too much ill cut it down to 3 days

otsm is on a distinguished road. (+10) otsm is on a distinguished road. (+10) otsm is on a distinguished road. (+10) otsm is on a distinguished road. (+10) otsm is on a distinguished road. (+10) otsm is on a distinguished road. (+10) otsm is on a distinguished road. (+10) otsm is on a distinguished road. (+10) otsm is on a distinguished road. (+10) otsm is on a distinguished road. (+10) otsm is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Push looks solid. I think too much volume for the pull day. I dont see the point in doing two variants of the deads.

Probaby do some forearm work at the end of the day... Wrist rollers are my favs, but you can try rev curls, wrist curls too. Power cleans are awesome, and good that you are planning to do them. But, I would switch power-cleans to pull day, and then shift the stiff deads (or was it RDL?) to leg day.

If you have a leg day, then why do hams on pull day? Cut out the volume from pull and spread it more evenly by adding hams to leg day. So get the deads for hams and leg curls on the leg day.

Leg day doesnt have calf work either. Get in 2-4 sets of calf raises.

Also think you can cut out hyperextensions and ab work from pull day and do them on rest days (am assuming hyperextensions with low weights).

Originally Posted by otsm View Post
    Push looks solid. I think too much volume for the pull day. I dont see the point in doing two variants of the deads.

Probaby do some forearm work at the end of the day... Wrist rollers are my favs, but you can try rev curls, wrist curls too. Power cleans are awesome, and good that you are planning to do them. But, I would switch power-cleans to pull day, and then shift the stiff deads (or was it RDL?) to leg day.

If you have a leg day, then why do hams on pull day? Cut out the volume from pull and spread it more evenly by adding hams to leg day. So get the deads for hams and leg curls on the leg day.

Leg day doesnt have calf work either. Get in 2-4 sets of calf raises.

Also think you can cut out hyperextensions and ab work from pull day and do them on rest days (am assuming hyperextensions with low weights).
    yeh i agree with a lot of what you suggested. i actually used to do all my ham work with my squat/leg day and cleans on pull day, except i did hang cleans instead, since the first part of a power clean is essentially a DL movement. i was just thinking of changing it up cuz my hams recover the slowest of my bodyparts and sometimes doing them on friday means there often still sore on pull day and it makes it a little uncomfortable when doing my DL's, but other than that i do like to seperate them....i will prob take abs out of pull and leg day and do them on tue and sat but i do find it to double as being a good stretch for my back after heavy deads and squats....as for calf work, i do hit them a little, i just didnt put it in there, cuz its more of a sporadic choice for me, but officially throwing them in on leg day would prob be a good choice....thanks for your thoughts

Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uk Lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Here is a push/pull routine i've used in the past with good results:

Monday:Heavy Pull

Deadlifts 10x3
    DB Curls 4x6
    Weighted Pullups 10x3
    SLDL 4X6
    Crunches 3x8

Tuesday:Heavy Push

Squats 10x3
    Bench Press 10x3
    Standing Press 10x3
    Weighted Dips 4x6
    Calf Raises 3x8

Thursday:Light/Moderate Pull

RDL 3x8
    BB Curls 3x8
    BB Rows 3x8
    Leg Curls 2x12
    Shrugs 3x8

Friday:Light/Moderate Push

Squats 3x8
    Leg Press 3x8
    Incline Press 3x8
    French Press 2x12
    Lateral Raises 2x12

Repeat sunday.
    Last edited by Uk Lifter; 05-27-2009 at 12:20 PM.

InhumanRampage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i was looking at your routine and i think im gonna try it but what are Hypers and split squats?

Originally Posted by InhumanRampage View Post
    i was looking at your routine and i think im gonna try it but what are Hypers and split squats?
    Hypers, are back hyperextensions, ans split squats which are sometimes often called bulgarian squats too is where u take a bench place one bent leg (shin to knee) on the bench and do a single leg squat. i personally dont like to use a BB on this because its makes it harder to balance especially after doing regular squats. i usually hold onto the handles of weight plates or DB....the movement is very very similar to lunges, and sometimes i will sub lunges but i get a better feel in my muscles when u do split squats.....experiment with a low weight when first trying these tho, as it is a hard movement the first time you do it

Originally Posted by Uk Lifter View Post
    Here is a push/pull routine i've used in the past with good results:

Monday:Heavy Pull

Deadlifts 10x3
    DB Curls 4x6
    Weighted Pullups 10x3
    SLDL 4X6
    Crunches 3x8

Tuesday:Heavy Push

Squats 10x3
    Bench Press 10x3
    Standing Press 10x3
    Weighted Dips 4x6
    Calf Raises 3x8

Thursday:Light/Moderate Pull

RDL 3x8
    BB Curls 3x8
    BB Rows 3x8
    Leg Curls 2x12
    Shrugs 3x8

Friday:Light/Moderate Push

Squats 3x8
    Leg Press 3x8
    Incline Press 3x8
    French Press 2x12
    Lateral Raises 2x12

Repeat sunday.
    nice looking routine, i think i'll interchange the one im doing with a close version of this on a week to week or bi-weekly basis