Thread: OA's Journal

orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

OA's Journal

Well I finally got into the gym today and worked out!

This is the first time I am doing weights only three times a week since college (93) and I am excited.

I am following a suggested routine - with some modifications - that I found in one of the forums here on bb.com and I am shooting for heavy weights (for me anyway) and 8 reps this week. I will do this 3 times this week.

I usually do spin class twice a week, but it stops during the summer so I will do cardio with my kids: tennis or track

Warm up 5 mins on treadclimber

Squats -
    No weight - warm up
    Bar - 1 rep of 8
    70 lbs - 1 rep
    I would have done more but some guys moved in while I was away and loaded that puppy up.

Deadlifts- used dumbells
    15 each - warm up
    35 each - 70 total- 3 reps of 8

Bench press
    Again the guys were swarming this so I did one rep of 8 on one bar that was pretty heavy and then i used the Smith machine for the other three - on the smith machine I did one rep no weight, one rep of 8 with 70 lbs (too too heavy) and one rep of 8 with 20 (too too light)

I could have grabbed a ball and used it but then I couldn't have pushed the weights. I need to figure out which machine in the gym I can use to accomplish this one.. Godforbid I just do pushups.

I did bi curls - 3 reps of 8 - 20 lbs
    and tri curls via the rope on cables - 3 reps of 8 - 50 lbs
    and lat pull down - 2 reps of 8 - 60 lbs
    and shoulder press - 3 reps of 8 - 20 lbs
    I lost track on these three so i wil finish them at home tonight:
    and lat raise - 2 reps of 8 - 15lbs
    and front dumbell raises - 2 reps of 8 - 15 lbs
    and whatever it is called. .... bent over row or something - just one rep..

i did 20 curl ups, 100 cruches, and 40 lower leg lifts pilates style - can't think of technical name but it works the lower abs and 20 bicycles.

My calves are large enough so I am not doing calf raises until I drop some BF.

Music was Bad Girlfriend, Something in your Mouth, Maneater by Nelly, SexyBack, Addicted, Cover Me and Lose Yourself..

Felt good but since I could walk out of there I was concerned I should have lifter heavier..

I ordered Extend for post workout but it isn't in so my post workout drink was 2% milk with 1 teaspoon chocolate sauce. I also ordered some Whey to help me get my protein.

Breakfast - 1 cup Plain yogurt (accidently picked up the Plain instead of non fat)
    probably 1 cup blueberries

Snack was apple

Lunch Tbls of natty PB, 1 Cup each of romain and spinach, package of tuna on wheat pita, cracked black pepper

I haven't eaten enough today but I left my food pack at home... Two of my kids have ballgames tonight so I am trying to figure out how to swing it - I think my best bet is to run by the store and grab a baked chicken and some green stuff. I should have time to steam some zuc and broc...

Any help from anyone is appreciated...

orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvalsamazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

test

test

I just was reviewing my plan and I was suppose to do FOUR reps not three.. how blonde can I get .. ***

My shoulders are sore but nothing else. I used the Smith machine for my squats and from now I am going to use DBs. I need to add a couple more Tri exercises.

I want to go do more squats or maybe just lunges today cause I am frustrated that I am not sore. But one of my main trends is to push too hard - too fast and then burn out so I will not do that.

I have to spend my lunch hour shopping since ballgames lasted from 5:30 to 9:30 last night and I wasn't able to run to the stores. I hate when I get out of my routine.

I also ate three servings of Doritos at the game - what tickes me off most of all is the fact that I have passed up some wonderful desserts the last two weeks to just blow it all on crappy chips I don't even like that much.. UGGG.

So I switched up my workout. Instead of doing the whole body workout which I didn't feel was hitting everything I wanted -

So yesterday I started this rotation and I plan on working out with the same weight for three cycles and then upping - this seems really long and I might push it:

M = cardio
    T = chest and tricepts
    W = back and biceps
    Th = Cardio
    F = Quads, Hams and Calves
    Sat = Shoulders, Traps and Forerarms
    Sun = Rest
    Except I did Friday's workout on Thursday due to ___ (just fill it in) So I did Sat's workout today and that leaves me with.. cardio on Saturday.. I will get it right next week.

So I did Quads, Hams and Calves - except I am not doing Calves just yet. I need to lose some BF first.

I started my protein drink and using extend - watermelon- for before and after workout.

So I did 4 reps of my exercises, but I left my journal in my locker so I can't give details.
    I did ditch the smith machine for my squats and used the 45Lb bar. I may switch to dumbbells - I am very uncomfortable on my balance.

Today I did 3 sets of 8 reps with 10 lb dumbbells and then 1 set of 10 reps with the 10lb. One a couple of these I could have lifted 15. I did 5 mins warmup on Treadclimber, then 1 set of 10 reps with 5lb dumbbells.
    I am only using dumbbells because they are easier to access when others are at the gym.
    exercises
    Arnold Press - Dumbbell Lateral Raise - Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raise - Dumbbell One Arm Upright Row - Dumbell Hammer Curl - Dumbbell Bent Over Row
    You don't control Success.
    What you control is:
    I am NOT afraid to fail.
    - nikki giovanni

My head cold/allergies - whatever have just made life miserable. No one at works wants to come into my cubbie. Today I was going to do some cardio but the gym closes at noon and I feel bad. Perhaps tonight I can slip it in or feel better enough to talk my hubby letting me do some cardio in bed with him tonight.

ANYWAY - I had posted on one of the forum here that when I started tracking my calories, I had over 3000. But actually that is only true some of the time. I am a huge emotional eater (I know food ain't love..but damn it's close) if I don't take care and today I have really enjoyed a few mini candies and iced molasses cookies. So no cardio and too much sugar. Ticks me off. But anyway.. the point I was going to make is that I have an issue of not eating enough also. Most days I am lucky to hit 1200. Once I took out the wine and chocolate - I was too low. So I am trying to get my protein via a protein drink but I am having a really hard time with with macros. I believe I need to be on a 40/40/20 and at close to 2000 calories a day. I need to do this consistently for a good week or two to get my system up.

I don't know if the spacing is going to look good but here is my monthly report from fitday.com. I have now added the protein drink and I am sure there are a few shots of Patron that I forgot to add.

Grams Calories %-Cals
    Calories 1,269

Fat 42.7 g 375 c 30 % dal
    Saturated 12.7 g 113 9 %
    Polyunsaturated 7.7 g 67 5 %
    Monounsaturated 16.2g 141 11 %
    Carbohydrate 131.5 g 511 40 % cal
    Dietary Fiber 16.8 g
    Protein 83.8 g 338 27 % cal
    Alcohol 6.7 g 46 4 %
    Last edited by orvalsamazon; 05-30-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: spacing
    What you control is:
    I am NOT afraid to fail.
    - nikki giovanni

I am still ill with the head cold and pretty sure I now have a sinus infection. I went out this morning and watered my plants and garden. When I wrapped up, I was breathing and sweating like I had just went for a jog. What is nice about weight lifting is that you can have a head cold and not be too miserable whereas I won't even attempt the eliptical or treadclimber cause of fear of falling.

I am at work now - which is sitting at two computer monitors - I am a tech agent. I work Tues - Sat but am working for 5 hrs today and a few tomorrow due to a project. I dropped off all the family's shirts off at the laundry service. I use any excuse I can to not do laundry. (I do keep the towels and jeans at home.. they're pretty easy to burn through) Of course with two of our children playing summer ball and three different summer camps- I already can take advantage of laundry service without feeling too guilty.

As for my workout and eating, instead of trying anything new I am going to focus on getting the right kinds and amounts of calories and being consistant with my workouts. I just about have my workout journal speadsheet completed. One think I need to add is just a short 20 mins or so walk in the mornings - I can get the girls to go with me and maybe one of the boys. I think I am going to post my workout exercises in the forums to get feedback.

It is weird how I can be with my husband in bed and be so confident about myself and enjoy him enjoying my body and then I can't even wear shorts in public cause my knees are fat. I want to feel good 24/7.
    What you control is:
    I am NOT afraid to fail.
    - nikki giovanni

I can't believe it has been 11 days. Geez.

I worked out yesterday - did legs. Today I had to do a business lunch at a Mexican restaurant - I didn't eat as much as I wanted to, but I ate too much. What stinks is that I didn't know about it until I got to work and so instead of using my lunch hour to work-out - I got to eat. The twins have games tonight so I am going to have to figure out how to fit it in. I may have to double up tomorrow.

I didn't lift for four days due to having to undergo a procedure at the hospital, but I am back in commission.

I am maintaining my weightwhich is a positve and I think I detect some additional firmness.

The women on here just really motivate me to stay on track. I feel like this is possible but have to admit to feeling frustrated due to my friends thinness. She has lost so much weight on cardiio and diet pills. And she is like 5'0 so I feel like a giant anyway. Patience Patience Consistency Consistency Consistency Consistency Consistency Consistency Focus Focus Focus.. I am on a journey and need to not give into whining...
    What you control is:
    I am NOT afraid to fail.
    - nikki giovanni

I didn't make time to work out yesterday and today barely made it to the gym before they closed. I am working 12 hours today and our gym here closes at noon. But I made myself go - So I am proud of myself. That is two weight lifting sessions this week. Today I did Tri, traps, glutes and hams.. kinda of hit the majority of the body parts.

I started this journal as an accountability step. I figured out in my early 30's - late bloomer - that consistency was key to almost all success. And writing in this journal and tracking calories has worked so far. It is like posting the progress pics.. they are embarrassing to me but they serve as a motivator and also I intend to look 100% better and it will be nice to track it. I would kill to have pic of myself in college in my cut off shorts and bikini's but even more importantly I want to be in my 40's and be able to wear cut offs and a bikini when we go out on the lake. Just for ME, MYSELF and I.
    What you control is:
    I am NOT afraid to fail.
    - nikki giovanni

I haven't posted in forever but I think of this everyday and that use it to motivate me. I have to get some new pics too. I haven't lost any more weight but I have really toned up and my clothes fit totally different. My children are at their other parents' homes so I don't have much cardio going one.. well my hubby and I are having a lot more play time so maybe that equals out. Anyway I have been doing pull up on the .. gravitron (sp?) and today I decreased it by 15 lbs which means I increased my pull by 15. On my skull crushers I am going up to heavier weights. the only issue i have is deadlifts. I just don't think I am doing them right, but am going to work on that.
    What you control is:
    I am NOT afraid to fail.
    - nikki giovanni

punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Glad to hear
    Bodybuilding is not weight and repetitions; it’s resistance and absolute muscle failure. It’s not quantitative; it’s qualitative. It’s more mental than physical. It’s more control than rage. It’s the realization that you can always get bigger. ~ bodybuilding

Back from vacation. Actually I have been back for four days and am just wiped out. I have totally self destructed since returning. We got back and our kids went to their other parents and my hubby had to work nights so I was by myself. Usually I really enjoy that and after so much family time you'd think I would relish it. But when I have spent so much time with my husband, I just want to spend more time with him. And while famiily vacations are awesome it is really hard to spend a week with him and not have sex. He wouldn't take me for a nice little boat ride by ourselves since all our kids are old enough now to know why we do that.. lol. We got back and had one night together and wow. He said the nicest things to me.. almost the best kind of oral sex. I do love him. But then he was gone and I was still all worked up. I totally eat when I am horney. So anyway I drank the remaining beer from vacation and ate the left over s'more stuff and watched some porn and took care of myself but that is no where close to what he does to me and how he makes me feel. I did go play blackjack for 4 hours and I am doing mucho better.

So I am up today with a slight hangover. BUT I am eating healthy and get back to my workout tomorrow. Today is clean house and pick up kids day. Tomorrow starts my work week and I work out at the company's gym.
    What you control is:
    I am NOT afraid to fail.
    - nikki giovanni

I have been doing great since coming back. Although it was it did take me a few days to get back to NOT drinking at night. I have increased my squat by 10 and my tri again. I don't like typing all the specifics. I am on the eliptical until I hit 100 calories. I have it on set on my glutes only and ramp it up and down for interval. I try and hit 100 faster every time.
    I still am not doing deadlifts. Just too scarey.. I am such a chicken@#$@. I just someone there to say.. good form. There are some people hanging around but who knows if they are reliable.

I love being able to do a few pushups and it not kill me. Toay was pretty tough with my hormones raging, but I did workout hard and I did not cheat. yeah for me...
    What you control is:
    I am NOT afraid to fail.
    - nikki giovanni

Well my hormones peaked yesterday and now are sliding back to normal. I worked out yesterday and just finished todays. I need to jot down I am doing 70 on lat pull downs and on the reverse grip lat pulldown. I just started those, I hope it will help me achieve my pull-up goal faster. I am not doing long sessions but I being consistent.

I had two glasses of wonderful '99 merlot and a shot of Patron for dinner. Not exactly healthy but I was feeling pretty good. It was just my hubby and me with no kids and I knew we were going to have fun and I wanted to be relaxed. That is hard to do when you are pmsing... We just have the best time together. It is such a blessing to have a man that will spend time hanging out on the couch and kiss on me and hug me and NOT expect sex. Of course, I am so easy that it is a non-issue. And we did have such freaking hot sex last night. We woke up at 6 this morning - he went fishing and I ran into work - but we both were just cracking up about how freaking crazy we get.

I am looking forward to church tomorrow and planning a really great Sunday supper and getting my laundry caught up this weekend.
    What you control is:
    I am NOT afraid to fail.
    - nikki giovanni

BB.com bodyspace and forums are now blocked at work. I still can access the Supersite, but when I am feeling weak at work, it helps to hit the forums and get support.

Lat pulldowns went up to 80 pounds..one more week and I will go up on that

I am using the cable to do my skullcrushers - I am sure there is a different name for that - but I am at 50 and I can tell a difference.

I am up to 300 leg press - but still at 110 on squats, I started doing just once a week so progress has halted. My spin class starts this week so I promise myself to get back to squats at least twice a week. I KNOW squats are way better in term of overall body but leg presses are just easier to get to. I am using the machine and it is right there next to the cables and dumbbells and bench press and the squat rack is at the other end of the gym. How is that for a weak excuse. LOL

bench press is 70. I am ready to move up but I have no spotter and they are replacing the smith at the gym and I have to wait for the new one.

I am doing frontal raises (?) and have one more week of 12 on that one.

Now for Mind
    I totally went crazy this week. I realized how close I am getting to getting the last inch off my hips and that sent me into self destructive mode. I swear I would rather be a cutter than a stuffer!! Hmm, I may post that on the forum. Anyway, I ate all the crap available at the office - chocolate, cake, cookies, whatever. I did maintain healthy food so at least that was good. Yesterday my oldest girl had softball games all day and I did great, but on the way home I stopped at Dollar General and bought a ice cream bar, a package of almond, toffee butter crap and I ate those on my way home. I felt like an addict in that I HAD to have that or die. It was all I could think about. I am not taking my full strength adhd med this past two weeks so maybe that has something to do with it, but seriously I think most of it is just wanting to revert back and feel like crap. I know God has done so much for me in this journey and I have to really focus on that to know that we can do it!!
    What you control is:
    I am NOT afraid to fail.
    - nikki giovanni

My fall spin class began this week so that is an excellent calorie burner and butt buster. I lifted twice this week on top of that. When I lifted I focused on upper body except for one round of glute and deadlift. There is an article in the supersite about working all muscle fibers: power and density. So I lifted my power for one set and then went lighter and did another set and so on for another two sets. I am very happy with my progress.
    What you control is:
    I am NOT afraid to fail.
    - nikki giovanni

punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wow, you're really improving well with your weights. Keep it up!
    Bodybuilding is not weight and repetitions; it’s resistance and absolute muscle failure. It’s not quantitative; it’s qualitative. It’s more mental than physical. It’s more control than rage. It’s the realization that you can always get bigger. ~ bodybuilding

I am still be consistent with my workouts. I must say I am happy with myself. I have a workout weight schedule and will try to bring it home so I can post it on here. I am using the cable to do skull crushers and I am up to 60lbs. I am seeing some firmness. I am also seeing some definition when doing lateral raises. I have junked out during my period and am under some heavy duty stress - home and work - so I used food as an escape too much but not too crazy.
    What you control is:
    I am NOT afraid to fail.
    - nikki giovanni

So the flu really is horrible. I have never been that horrible and in that much pain. Three weeks plus a few days is how long it has taken. I probably could have done some working out this past week but was really concerned about relapse. I didn't have a fever for two weeks but I had lingering muscle aches in my joints and muscles and terrible headaches that would just come and go. It really was not fun.
    However I kep thinking that if I were 'in training' I would push myself. But I am not. I am not training for a 5k or to meet some goal. I just workout for the stress relief and I want to look good in jeans. And since I am so freaking happy with my life, I just can't force myself to workout when I am not feeling good. I have no idea if this makes sense or if I am full of crap. One of my orginal goals was being able to do pull ups. To me this is a great goal because I would A. need to lose some weight because I am about 30 pounds too heavy. and B. If I can do pull ups then I have some major muscles going on. Pretty simplistic I know but I don't feel the need to get all deep. So today I need to plan and shop my meals for myself and my family, take my new dog for a walk, and lift some weights, so a ton of laundry (I have beenat my moms for a few days and it stacks up) clean the bathrooms, clean the turtles aquarium, do my devotional, job search, buy the book Gileam (or something like that) and do the budget. Gee, I love my day off. T
    What you control is:
    I am NOT afraid to fail.
    - nikki giovanni

Wow, it has been a long time. Shortly after I made my last post, the right side of my face started having terrible pain... long story but I have been diagnosised with Trigeminal Neuralga and am having to have a type of brain surgery called Microvasscular Decompression. 96% of patients who have this surgery come out of it pain free, so I am super pumped about having it. However, I have not worked since the middle of December due to the side effects of the medicine. I am now down to one medicine, but so weak feeling and dizzy. I have been fighting depression since this began and I am still fighting it. I am so blessed that it is treatable, that I can AFFORD brain surgery, that my husband and family are so supportive, but I still feel so blah. I know it is the meds and I can't wait to get off of it.
    What you control is:
    I am NOT afraid to fail.
    - nikki giovanni

I had the surgery on the 18th and have been off my meds for about 5 days. The recovery is so much harder than I anticipateed. IT sucks but at least I no longer have the pain. I have gotten the okay to start walking but have four more weeks of nothing else. Friends have fixed dinner for my family every night since my recovery and I am so thankful for them.
    What you control is:
    I am NOT afraid to fail.
    - nikki giovanni