Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by cakefarts View Post
    No you don't. You just don't have the intellectual ability to see past the standard path.

I turned down med school.

Suffice it to say, if I wanted the standard path of capitalistic success, I had it. And still have it.
    You turned down med school so you could move to cali and grow pot and try and find a job with an almost worthless degree that put you 40k in debt?

Ya and NASA wanted me to lead their space program but i was too busy misc'n so i had to decline.

SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Swift08 View Post
    you're basically saying you lack balls and are afraid to take risks??

your life will go nowhere.
    why take the risk if the end result is being a washed up vagrant bastard who has jack ****?

tell you what, you move to california without a job and only 5K, lets see how you do.

cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by wiid View Post
    You turned down med school so you could move to cali and grow pot and try and find a job with an almost worthless degree that put you 40k in debt?

Ya and NASA wanted me to lead their space program but i was too busy misc'n
    No. I turned down med school my senior year of college in favor of a grad program I was into at the time. It didn't work out-it wasn't what I wanted, so I left. You'd have stayed. Everyone would have lauded your success at a funded program, and you'd have stayed warmly mediocre. Fulfilled with the false nothings of outside noise patting you on the back, while inside hating your day to day.

Like most people.

Kernkraft is a name known to all. (+5000) Kernkraft is a name known to all. (+5000) Kernkraft is a name known to all. (+5000) Kernkraft is a name known to all. (+5000) Kernkraft is a name known to all. (+5000) Kernkraft is a name known to all. (+5000) Kernkraft is a name known to all. (+5000) Kernkraft is a name known to all. (+5000) Kernkraft is a name known to all. (+5000) Kernkraft is a name known to all. (+5000) Kernkraft is a name known to all. (+5000)
    give me the 5k and I'll turn it into 25k for you in a week

Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    No. I turned down med school my senior year of college in favor of a grad program I was into at the time. It didn't work out-it wasn't what I wanted, so I left. You'd have stayed. Everyone would have lauded your success at a funded program, and you'd have stayed warmly mediocre. Fulfilled with the false nothings of outside noise patting you on the back, while inside hating your day to day.

Like most people.
    What is California going to do? Why wouldn't you at least go to Europe? Read my post man! Fck California.

cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500) cakefarts is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by allready View Post
    why take the risk if the end result is being a washed up vagrant bastard who has jack ****?

tell you what, you move to california without a job and only 5K, lets see how you do.
    See, you can't even understand the concepts of success without a material comparative tool.

You're not even at this level of the conversation. You don't even understand, let alone empathize, with this point of view.

Of course you think it's insane.

Originally Posted by Zackla View Post
    What is California going to do? Why wouldn't you at least go to Europe? Read my post man! Fck California.
    I've spent a little time in Western Europe. It's incredibly expensive. Obviously a language handicap in many nations-work in all nations is non existent for a non EU member. So long term it's not a serious option for me.

I love Europe, though.

wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50) wiid will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Like most people.
    Im just busting your balls. I dont know you and therefore I cant judge you. Do whatever you want as long as your happy then thats all that really matters. Just dont go on welfare, like the rest of the united state's **** ups and rely on hard working people's money to support you. (im not talking about legit people that lost their job etc.)

SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SICWITH1T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    See, you can't even understand the concepts of success without a material comparative tool.

You're not even at this level of the conversation. You don't even understand, let alone empathize, with this point of view.

Of course you think it's insane.
    i dont understand the fact that you turned down medical school to travel while you're damn near broke?

get real dude. my cousins are in santa barbara and they dont have jack ****. they hate their jobs, they hate their apartment (which isnt **** to begin with) they thought they'd have it all. it doesnt work out the way it does in your fantasy.

Originally Posted by wiid View Post
    Im just busting your balls. I dont know you and therefore I cant judge you. Do whatever you want as long as your happy then thats all that really matters. Just dont go on welfare, like the rest of the united state's **** ups and rely on hard working people's money to support you. (im not talking about legit people that lost their job etc.)
    Thank you. Respect mon. I'm not an angry person but when at some point you have to defend yourself. I was taking heat from all angles.

Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zackla has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've spent a little time in Western Europe. It's incredibly expensive. Obviously a language handicap in many nations-work in all nations is non existent for a non EU member. So long term it's not a serious option for me.

I love Europe, though.
    When I was 16 I trekked across Russia with 5,000 rubles. No excuse! When I was 19 I went through 4 countries with the equivalent of about 100USD... and came out with 500. Helped on a farm for two weeks, washed dishes in Prague for a month... lol. I guess the language barrier is an issue though.

i dont understand the fact that you turned down medical school to travel while you're damn near broke?

get real dude. my cousins are in santa barbara and they dont have jack ****. they hate their jobs, they hate their apartment (which isnt **** to begin with) they thought they'd have it all. it doesnt work out the way it does in your fantasy.
    You never know. It's more complicated than that. I don't come from uber wealth, but I've certainly stayed in a mcmansion for an extended period of time. I also lived on a fishing pier for 2 solid months on the east coast. Showered in the water and the pier bathrooms, once and a while at a local dudes apartment. Ate mostly..guess...fish.

It was absolutely incredible.

When I was 16 I trekked across Russia with 5,000 rubles. No excuse! When I was 19 I went through 4 countries with the equivalent of about 100USD... and came out with 500. Helped on a farm for two weeks, washed dishes in Prague for a month... lol. I guess the language barrier is an issue though.
    god damn son. Balls of steel, apparently. That's pretty amazing. You get any of it in pictures?

You never know. It's more complicated than that. I don't come from uber wealth, but I've certainly stayed in a mcmansion for an extended period of time. I also lived on a fishing pier for 2 solid months on the east coast. Showered in the water and the pier bathrooms, once and a while at a local dudes apartment. Ate mostly..guess...fish.

It was absolutely incredible.
    lol but at what cost

lol but at what cost
    I smelled like sh it often. I got a few cavities from that time because I brushed my teeth rarely.

So, at the cost of a few hundred in dental bills brah.

god damn son. Balls of steel, apparently. That's pretty amazing. You get any of it in pictures?
    One of my biggest regrets. My family had about 500USD to their name. I am from Chernobyl's replacement village after the meltdown. A camera there is like a g5 jetliner in USA. (not so much now, but was).

One of my biggest regrets. My family had about 500USD to their name. I am from Chernobyl's replacement village after the meltdown. A camera there is like a g5 jetliner in USA. (not so much now, but was).
    Jesus.

Write a book son.

Seriously.

Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000)

That's pretty cool. You can't say those experiences haven't shaped who you are today? This is exactly what I advocate, getting out there, doing the things that people say tou can't. I'm in the early stages of planning a trip for the winter: London to Bangkok, overland, with as little paid-for transportation as possible. I'm gonna get right in the thick of it in the Middle East and come out shining. Don't ask me what the end plan is, because I don't know. All I know is that things will be different then than they are now.

Jesus.

Write a book son.

Seriously.
    I guess when I do think about it, traveling isn't that bad... but i'd suggest you have an end goal or at least have a goal in what you want to achieve. Every summer I wanted to reach a destination.

Don't just be another backpacker. Actually see ****. Europe in the early 2000's was greeeeeat. If you wanna do this kinda ****, make sure you have good stories. Once I watched Russian soldiers (who had to protect us as we trekked through Chechen territory during a war... gg cousin) shoot clumps of dirt out of each others hands with rifles after getting PISS drunk on massive amounts of vodka. You can't make that **** up.

PitbullJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PitbullJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PitbullJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PitbullJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PitbullJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PitbullJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PitbullJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PitbullJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PitbullJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PitbullJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PitbullJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Here is your first mistake, posting on a message board. Why are you taking advice from people you don't know, younger than you and to be honest people who just don't give a flyin fcuk what you do with your life. If you want to make the move then do it. If it doesn't work out then make another move until you are satisfy with your situation.

2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000)
    OP, not exactly they way I would have gone about it, but I like your thinking.

In the same vein as Chris Mccandless:

"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are accustomed to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which is conditioned to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit than a man with a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."

(Side note: for those who haven't, I highly suggest reading and watching Into the Wild. Both are brilliant)

Thumbs up

This thread actually turned out to be worth making.

Originally Posted by Rupert IV View Post
    That's pretty cool. You can't say those experiences haven't shaped who you are today? This is exactly what I advocate, getting out there, doing the things that people say tou can't. I'm in the early stages of planning a trip for the winter: London to Bangkok, overland, with as little paid-for transportation as possible. I'm gonna get right in the thick of it in the Middle East and come out shining. Don't ask me what the end plan is, because I don't know. All I know is that things will be different then than they are now.
    I made it to Bangkok, then riverboated across and made it through to Ho Chi Minh (Saigon). That is absolutely the hardest trek I ever did. Try the snakes blood and bile.
    Last edited by Zackla; 05-25-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Самый крутой модулятор B.O.L.A.'s Avatar
    B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    maybe some (no homo) cali miscers would be willing to let you crash on their couches for a while. this **** is pretty adventurous.
    BMBC

"The State is a gang of thieves writ large." - Murray N. Rothbard

Originally Posted by 2pacalypto View Post
    OP, not exactly they way I would have gone about it, but I like your thinking.

In the same vein as Chris Mccandless:

"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are accustomed to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which is conditioned to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit than a man with a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."

(Side note: for those who haven't, I highly suggest reading and watching Into the Wild. Both are brilliant)
    Chris also went into the Alaskan wilderness without a map and died right near a ranger station...

2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000) 2pacalypto is just really nice. (+1000)
    Chris also went into the Alaskan wilderness without a map and died right near a ranger station...
    True. But I think there is some truth to his statement, whether you'd like to admit it or not.

I agreed with one of your earlier points though: the important distinction between actually living and just going through your days is a desire to accomplish something. Some people just go about it differently.

Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000)
    I did kind of lol at Chris McCandless dying in a bus, of all things, a symbol of cattle culture.

Самый крутой модулятор B.O.L.A.'s Avatar
    B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B.O.L.A. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    thread reminds me of this book

BMBC

"The State is a gang of thieves writ large." - Murray N. Rothbard

steve38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steve38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steve38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steve38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steve38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steve38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steve38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steve38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steve38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steve38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steve38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Go for it, dude! Leaving everything behind is friggin awesome! I packed up my old car and $800 and headed to cali many years ago when I was a young lad like you. Broke down in El Paso and ended up living there for a long time. Life's an adventure. Don't live it by other peoples standards.

I made it to Bangkok, then riverboated across and made it through to Ho Chi Minh (Saigon). That is absolutely the hardest trek I ever did. Try the snakes blood and bile.

You riverboated from Bangkok to HCMC? Come on bro, that's just not possible. You have whole countries in between those two places for a start.