sellout85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Working out same muscle group twice a day. good or bad

I have been trying to hit the gym as hard as I can to put some meat on my bones. As of now Im taking mad protein and going to the gym from 10:30 to 11:45 am and again at 4:00 thru 5:30 pm. Is this putting too much strain on my muscles or is it good that Im giving them the shock that they need? Help me out

kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by sellout85 View Post
    I have been trying to hit the gym as hard as I can to put some meat on my bones. As of now Im taking mad protein and going to the gym from 10:30 to 11:45 am and again at 4:00 thru 5:30 pm. Is this putting too much strain on my muscles or is it good that Im giving them the shock that they need? Help me out
    Same muscle group twice a day? Excess. period.
    Unless you are into Charles Poliquin's supercompensation routine, which isnt advisable for most anyway, other than the absolute elite athletes, and even they dont go on it for more than 2 weeks.

patleb940 will become famous soon enough. (+50) patleb940 will become famous soon enough. (+50) patleb940 will become famous soon enough. (+50) patleb940 will become famous soon enough. (+50) patleb940 will become famous soon enough. (+50) patleb940 will become famous soon enough. (+50) patleb940 will become famous soon enough. (+50) patleb940 will become famous soon enough. (+50) patleb940 will become famous soon enough. (+50) patleb940 will become famous soon enough. (+50) patleb940 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd say it's pointless. I think you might be one of those OCD guys who overanalyze every little detail. I would suggest you get on a good workout program that allows enough time for your muscles to rest properly and eat good and varied things. Focus on improving the amount of weights/reps used every session. When you stall, deload or rest.

You really need to find something else to do. There is more to life than training, you know? Find a new hobby, get a job, spend time with your family and friends.
    "Arguing on the internet is like the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still a retard"

Originally Posted by patleb940 View Post
    I'd say it's pointless. I think you might be one of those OCD guys who overanalyze every little detail. I would suggest you get on a good workout program that allows enough time for your muscles to rest properly and eat good and varied things. Focus on improving the amount of weights/reps used every session. When you stall, deload or rest.

You really need to find something else to do. There is more to life than training, you know? Find a new hobby, get a job, spend time with your family and friends.
    Im stuck on a boat in the middle of the ocean..not really much else I can do bro

kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Im stuck on a boat in the middle of the ocean..not really much else I can do bro
    Actually you can. Workout the muscle group once instead of twice. Then, when you normally do the second workout, take a nap instead, in the middle of the ocean, with all those mermaids all over the place

Lurking Since 2004 Addicted2Iron's Avatar
    Addicted2Iron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Addicted2Iron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Addicted2Iron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Addicted2Iron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Addicted2Iron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Addicted2Iron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Addicted2Iron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Addicted2Iron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Addicted2Iron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Addicted2Iron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Addicted2Iron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i have done it in the past, for very brief periods of time (1-2 weeks tops) just to shock my body. it worked for me, just spread your workouts out at least 6 hrs, get plenty of food and sleep. i wouldnt do this more than a couple times per year. i did a mod/heavy session in the morning, then a light weight/high rep session in the evening.
    i'll teach you more and more about less and less until you know everything about nothing-ejc

Originally Posted by Addicted2Iron View Post
    i have done it in the past, for very brief periods of time (1-2 weeks tops) just to shock my body. it worked for me, just spread your workouts out at least 6 hrs, get plenty of food and sleep. i wouldnt do this more than a couple times per year. i did a mod/heavy session in the morning, then a light weight/high rep session in the evening.
    Thats what i usually do and my body feels great afterwards. Do you think I should do Weight lifting in the morning and cardio in the evening instead or would that cut muscle?

Run until it hurts belairdfence99's Avatar
    belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) belairdfence99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Maybe do some cardio at night instead?
    Your muscles are trying to heal, working them again isn't really ripping the newly made muscle fibers and thus isnt leading to any noticeable growth.
    **MISC Running Crew**

You are what you eat, love what you are.

"are u guys fuking wizard chefs??? surely u don't eat like this all the time...." TheDarkKnight27

I may or may not have gotten my avi idea from American_Psycho

lewistk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    those are long sessions in the gym also. for bulk, and for most workout periods. keep it intense and shorter. Keep workouts under an hour, testosterone decreases at an alarming rate after 60 mins.

once a day is more than enough, you must get rest to grow.
    take 2 days off a week, workout once a day and you will see some results!
    On my quest for 180 lbs...

Duke999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duke999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duke999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duke999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duke999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duke999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duke999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duke999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duke999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duke999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duke999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    IMO its overtraining to work them twice a day. like some said above u could just do cardio for ur 2nd session. u gotta let ur muscles rest.

Unofficial Site Chaplain merkong's Avatar
    merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Duke999 View Post
    IMO its overtraining to work them twice a day. like some said above u could just do cardio for ur 2nd session. u gotta let ur muscles rest.
    In your opinion? In any sane persons mind...
    1/3/09 bench press 1rm 300#
    1/3/10 bench press 1rm 315#

I don't lift like ^^that^^ anymore...

Just lifting because I love it and trying to lead by example with my 3 elite athlete kids; Amanda on the Varsity Dance Team, Zack playing lacrosse on an elite level and starring on our 8th grade football team and fast becoming a golf prodigy and Kitty excelling at the grade school level on the track, soccer field and basketball court.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    OP, why train the same muscle groups only twice a day? If it works that well for you, why not train the same muscle groups three, four, or even five times a day? Shoot, why not just train one muscle group all day long, without stopping? Give it a shot, and report back to us how it worked out for you.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

raylors has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raylors has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raylors has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raylors has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raylors has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparty3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by lewistk View Post
    those are long sessions in the gym also. for bulk, and for most workout periods. keep it intense and shorter. Keep workouts under an hour, testosterone decreases at an alarming rate after 60 mins.

wierd I was told that I shouldnt work out less then 2 hours if I want real results..
    Jesus is the only way!

Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by lewistk View Post

Very true. If your ultimate goal is to put on size then keep it short and very intense. The more intense your workout is the more you need to rest afterwards. I used to do 10-15 intense sets per muscle group and needed a full week to completely recover enough to pull off the same workout for each group but I had good gains in size and strength. Now I'm more into getting lean for the summer so I have workouts intended to aim at muscle shape and endurance using less weight and more reps, since I'm not necessarily breaking my muscles down like I used to I can do my same workout every day and hit every muscle just enough to where I know that I will be able to recover by the next day. I really wouldn't recommend that to others, I just know my body and know what I can handle.

If you think you're able to work out the same muscle group later the same day then there's a good chance you really aren't hitting that muscle group hard enough or from enough angles. If you're trying to get big you need to make sure you leave it all in the gym when you work out. Try to increase your weights until you feel like you actually are putting 100% of your capacity to lift into a single session.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Shawnpala has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Tugboatman

I'm on a boat as well bro. 6on 6off. I get a good hour is in of a muscle group In 5-6 days a week. Your body needs rest and good nutrition. I use Herbalife 24 fitness product line and have great results. It's great nutrition and the results are amazing Def worth the money. Contact me at Shawnpala@gmail.com I'll set you up.

SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ive tried it while deployed and at least can understand being stuck in the middle of no wehere with not much else to do. What I did at the time was in the morning session I would go high weight/low rep and in the evening session would do low weight/high rep and use drop sets to exhaustion. As others have said though this is probably not optimal. There are other altenatives you could try that would probably by more beneficial. You could do a cardio session or try working a second muscle group instead. I think the latter might be worth trying, this would give you a chance to work each muscle twice per week and still allow you to get a few days rest between working it again.
    Disabled Combat Veteran (11B)
    My Home Gym Thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160414931

Ryan198211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

yes u can and I would only do this for a couple of weeks. Make sure u only train for about 45 minutes each time as your testosterone is gonna run out any ways after an hour and make sure you wait about 6 hours until u wrk the body part again as your testosterone levels build up again. Trust me this method works.

Shmartypants has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

2 times a day works...

2 times a day WORKS. Eat a TON of food to build the muscle. Good food of course. I was a fatass at 175 lbs...look at my pic...I am now 145 and shredded. I stopped posting here for a while, because I was getting weird replies from insecure people that value themselves by bmi, instead of trying to help people achieve their goals...

I do moderate to heavy on the first session, and the same on the second, about 6-7 hours apart focusing on maxing a set or 2 on the second session. The objective is to burn the muscle more than you can achieve in 1 session only. Take pushups for example...you can only do so many before you reach failure...and it becomes impossible to get a strong enough burn in the chest. With 2x sessions...you can get a good burn where you are a little sore, even if you work out 5-6 days a week. I work out 2 times a day EVERY day, and split my groups in 3 parts. Chest, back, shoulders. That way each group gets 3 days of rest. MANY will disagree with my method, but my results are amazing. in 6 months I went from fatass couch potato, to 1-2 people a week asking me if I am a trainer, how much can I bench, etc...

My detailed workouts are like this...3 sets of flies...3 sets incline press, 3 sets of dips, and I will hit each exercise 2-3 times in a session. I usually end up doing 24 sets of 10 on average over 1.5 hours. then I will do the same 6-7 hours later, but I usually get in 18 sets on average with heavier weight. On back days I do lat pulldowns, incline rows, and rows. shoulders I do various light weight dumbbell stuff. I try to be carefull not to injure the cuffs...

Hope this helps...

STORMSHADOW51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Actually this is the method Teagan Clive said prepared her size for the Miss Olympia and I have used it too and yes it works and no it's not excess. Take chest day.... flat bench heavy or high rep light depending on cycle of workout. Don't work to exhaustion... work to damage the muscle tissue. Leave gym at 45 mins to one hour. Go eat and rest. 5-6 hours later go do upper pec. ONLY one exercise on each workout. Oh and that hour includes stretching, warm up which takes me about 20 mins...I'm in no hurry. So now I only have 40 mins of iron. I don't waste energy going up the pyramid to my max on heavy... 3-6 reps as I go up and sit around for about 5 mins between heavy sets. When I'm at my max for 3 reps I put all my effort in the coming down of the pyramid.
    Last edited by STORMSHADOW51; 06-20-2015 at 04:27 PM.