Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Can I work my legs everyday?

My lower body is what I want to transform the most, my legs, thighs, hips, are real small, and I just want to know if it's ok to do strength training exercises for the legs everyday, or weight lifting exercises, not including running. Like can I do squats everyday or lunges without overworking the muscles? if not how often can I work them? If I'm doing weight lifting exercises, how often can I do those to build some muscle? I know I can run everyday, but I don't want to, because I don't want to lose weight. I'd like to focus more on strength training, and then increase the running, once I've built some muscle. I'm new to all this bodybuilding, and I just want educated opinions

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No you should train your legs so hard that you cant walk for the rest of the week.

Train them once a week for best results, the muscle needs time to recover and grow, they dont grow in the gym. Training legs every day would be over-training.

mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    if you can, you're probably doing it wrong or not as intense as it should be.

deathbunny is just really nice. (+1000) deathbunny is just really nice. (+1000) deathbunny is just really nice. (+1000) deathbunny is just really nice. (+1000) deathbunny is just really nice. (+1000) deathbunny is just really nice. (+1000) deathbunny is just really nice. (+1000) deathbunny is just really nice. (+1000) deathbunny is just really nice. (+1000) deathbunny is just really nice. (+1000) deathbunny is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mybody001 View Post
    if you can, you're probably doing it wrong or not as intense as it should be.
    pretty much.

if you're doing it right, which most people don't, there is no way you will be able to train them everyday without like destroying them.

gilbert87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gilbert87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gilbert87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gilbert87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gilbert87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gilbert87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gilbert87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gilbert87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gilbert87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gilbert87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gilbert87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes you can. In Mark Rippetoe's program, the first thing you do each workout is squats. (After you warm up of course).

If you're new to body building, you should check out his program.

Apparently I can't post links, so just go to the workout program forum, find "Rippetoe/Starting Strength Questions Answered Here (Part II)" click the link in the first post, and the click on the FAQ.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're going to do just bodyweight squats, then sure, go ahead.

AnicholasH is not very well liked. (-100) AnicholasH is not very well liked. (-100) AnicholasH is not very well liked. (-100) AnicholasH is not very well liked. (-100) AnicholasH is not very well liked. (-100) AnicholasH is not very well liked. (-100) AnicholasH is not very well liked. (-100) AnicholasH is not very well liked. (-100) AnicholasH is not very well liked. (-100) AnicholasH is not very well liked. (-100) AnicholasH is not very well liked. (-100)
    No way is that a good idea dude. The muscle recovery process can take anywhere from 48-72 hours. If you do this not only will you not see any results, it will be counterproductive.

brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Talking

You "can" do whatever you want, should you? That is the question...

eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by gilbert87 View Post
    Yes you can. In Mark Rippetoe's program, the first thing you do each workout is squats. (After you warm up of course).
    SS is only 3x a week - that would be every other day, not every day.

Don't think you would get much out of doing intense legs every day.
    My Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=114646181

someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    many oly lifters train there legs everyday since all the moments involve leg strength and they have some of the strongest/biggest legs in the world. If your an athlete you probably train your legs everyday in some way-running, jumping, drills ext-. I wouldn't be doing squats everyday though but I had some of the best gains for my legs ever doing 3-4x a week squatting, thats usally how often oly lifters squat also.

ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DaRk LuCiFeR View Post
    If you're going to do just bodyweight squats, then sure, go ahead.
    Are those not effective enough as weighted squats? I just started them yesterday, and I'm not even sure I had the form right, I didn't feel anything after so I probably didn't, I just wanted to do some warm ups for my legs before my pt test. I will find out the proper form, and try again next week. Since my legs are so small, do you think weighted squats will be more effective quicker, like really feel the burn or too soon for that? I'm a beginner

Originally Posted by someonefat View Post
    many oly lifters train there legs everyday since all the moments involve leg strength and they have some of the strongest/biggest legs in the world. If your an athlete you probably train your legs everyday in some way-running, jumping, drills ext-. I wouldn't be doing squats everyday though but I had some of the best gains for my legs ever doing 3-4x a week squatting, thats usally how often oly lifters squat also.
    no, I'm not an athlete anymore, I want to start running on a regular basis tho, just have to get my calories right so I don't lose any weight

Apparently I can't post links, so just go to the workout program forum, find "Rippetoe/Starting Strength Questions Answered Here (Part II)" click the link in the first post, and the click on the FAQ.
    thank you, I have seen that program before, but never really got into it, I will examine it, thanks, I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by JOSEF RAKICH View Post
    No you should train your legs so hard that you cant walk for the rest of the week.

Train them once a week for best results, the muscle needs time to recover and grow, they dont grow in the gym. Training legs every day would be over-training.
    yea that does make sense, how many leg exercises should I do each time I work them? and what are the best ones for me? thanks

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ADDicted2Fit View Post
    Are those not effective enough as weighted squats? I just started them yesterday, and I'm not even sure I had the form right, I didn't feel anything after so I probably didn't, I just wanted to do some warm ups for my legs before my pt test. I will find out the proper form, and try again next week. Since my legs are so small, do you think weighted squats will be more effective quicker, like really feel the burn or too soon for that? I'm a beginner
    They're alright if you just want to exercise your legs but you won't put on size or gain strength.

Weighted squats will work your core as well and are a great strength and mass builder. I recommend 12-15 sets (a week) for legs because that's what works for most people (I train my friends).

Something like this would be good. Feel free to change the number of sets/reps according to your liking.

Squats - 2
    Lunges or step-ups - 2
    Leg press - 2
    Leg extensions - 2

Seated leg curls - 2
    Romanian deadlifts - 2

Calf raises - 4

EDIT
    This routine should be done once a week. You can work your calves more often though (2-3x).
    Last edited by DaRk LuCiFeR; 05-22-2009 at 06:08 PM.

AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My lower body is what I want to transform the most, my legs, thighs, hips, are real small, and I just want to know if it's ok to do strength training exercises for the legs everyday, or weight lifting exercises, not including running. Like can I do squats everyday or lunges without overworking the muscles? if not how often can I work them? If I'm doing weight lifting exercises, how often can I do those to build some muscle? I know I can run everyday, but I don't want to, because I don't want to lose weight. I'd like to focus more on strength training, and then increase the running, once I've built some muscle. I'm new to all this bodybuilding, and I just want educated opinions
    3 times a week should be plenty. The key is volume and intensity. For most bodybuilding routines, that means blowing both in one workout a week. Routines for athletes don't work that way at all and that's what you should be looking for.
    "It seems like your goal is not to help."

log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147517853&p=960218773&viewfull=1#post960218773

They're alright if you just want to exercise your legs but you won't put on size or gain strength.

Weighted squats will work your core as well and are a great strength and mass builder. I recommend 12-15 sets (a week) for legs because that's what works for most people (I train my friends).

Something like this would be good. Feel free to change the number of sets/reps according to your liking.

Squats - 2
    Lunges or step-ups - 2
    Leg press - 2
    Leg extensions - 2

Seated leg curls - 2
    Romanian deadlifts - 2

Calf raises - 4

EDIT
    This routine should be done once a week. You can work your calves more often though (2-3x).
    ok, I like this, but for a beginner I should start with 2 sets? shouldn't I ease my way into it, like the first day of training, should I do the dead lifts, or just start with the squats, extensions, presses, lunges and curls? I know the dead lift is what will help put on the mass, but I just don't want to put too much on my body too soon.

ok, I like this, but for a beginner I should start with 2 sets? shouldn't I ease my way into it, like the first day of training, should I do the dead lifts, or just start with the squats, extensions, presses, lunges and curls? I know the dead lift is what will help put on the mass, but I just don't want to put too much on my body too soon.
    No, they're not deadlifts but Romanian deadlifts - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...nDeadlift.html

Similar to stiff-legged deadlifts but in this version, you push your hips backwards. Deadlifts are mainly a back exercise (in my opinion). Romanian deadlifts are for your hams.

Make sure you do all these exercises with good form. DO NOT go heavy. 2 sets per exercise is fine. If you feel too fatigued, however, take it easy. Your body will eventually get used to it. Start off light.

Check this out - http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...query=squat+rx

Also this - http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-...mmon-problems/

Good luck.
    Last edited by DaRk LuCiFeR; 05-22-2009 at 06:36 PM.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not without an increasing buildup of CNS and connective tissue fatigue.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

No, they're not deadlifts but Romanian deadlifts -

Similar to stiff-legged deadlifts but in this version, you push your hips backwards. Deadlifts are mainly a back exercise (in my opinion). Romanian deadlifts are for your hams.

Make sure you do all these exercises with good form. DO NOT go heavy. 2 sets per exercise is fine. If you feel too fatigued, however, take it easy. Your body will eventually get used to it. Start off light.

Check this out -
    Also this -

Good luck.
    ok thank you so much. good advice, good form, start light, listen to my body, got it

Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    Not without an increasing buildup of CNS and connective tissue fatigue.
    um, what's cns?

um, what's cns?
    Central Nervous System.

Central Nervous System.
    ok got it

Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Central Nervous System.

basically meaning being mentally tougher and prepared for pain.

Legs (for me) are one of my fav training days. I train 'em on Saturday mornings - the gym is kinda quite (maybe 10-15 ppl there) but those ppl are the "weekend warriors" who don't train legs at all. They pose. They walk around. They may have a really strong bench (wouldn't you if thats all you did in the gym) but they got tiny tiny chicken legs.

I grunt loud sometimes. I want ppl to say "What a freak". Thats my motivation to train harder.

Your legs can move a lot of weight - they can take a pounding, but they will be very sore for 3-6 days after training them. This pain is called the DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) and is a sign you have done your best (in this case your worst) to 'em. Your one step closer.

The CNS part of all of this is getting your mind over the pain, both during recovery and more so, preparing for the next training day. Don't let the pain bring you down, hell, thats what protein and sleep are for!

Good luck!

oceangoing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceangoing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceangoing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceangoing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceangoing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceangoing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceangoing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceangoing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceangoing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceangoing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceangoing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i train my legs once a week only and they feel sore almost throughout the week until the next leg day. i wouldnt do legs everyday even if i could..

SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by AHTTG View Post
    3 times a week should be plenty. The key is volume and intensity. For most bodybuilding routines, that means blowing both in one workout a week. Routines for athletes don't work that way at all and that's what you should be looking for.
    Yes.

Squatting three times a week is the foundation of many athletes/power lifters training.
    A heavy day, a light recovery day, and a medium day.
    "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general."

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

LOL

it's called Starting Strength..... not Starting Bodybuilding

Rippetoe knows his ****, but he doesn't know bodybuilding.

squatting everyday or even every workout would be stupid for someone with bodybuilding goals

Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SDFlip View Post
    squatting everyday or even every workout would be stupid for someone with bodybuilding goals
    Get you some big ass biceps though

SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by SDFlip View Post
    LOL

it's called Starting Strength..... not Starting Bodybuilding

Rippetoe knows his ****, but he doesn't know bodybuilding.

Have you squatted with frequency (three times a week) for any period of time? I've trained like this on and off since high school and it will build leg mass if calories are there.
    "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general."

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam greyhair's Avatar
    greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000)
    Maybe.
    It all depends on your training strategy.
    If your avoiding training to failure (a rep or two before you fail) you probably can train every day. However, it is mentally very taxing.
    OTOH, training to failure should be spaced out.
    Training to failure has benefits, if done periodically.
    It causes micro trauma and trains the CNS to recruit more fibers.
    However the damage and CNS stress can accumulate so you start to regress.

If your new to this, I would do the rippetoe starter program. (starting strenght, IIRC)
    Once you've made as much progress on that as possible, it would be time to investigate other training strategies. However, for newbees, everthing will work - for a while.

Adding muscle mass is not an easy thing for women to do and just like for men, it has a pretty significant genetic component.
    But those who fight for right must remember St. Augustine's sage words,
    "right is right even if no one is doing it...and wrong is wrong even if every one is doing it!"
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------
    God, Duty, Honour, Country