king55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Breaking Plateau workout and bulking

Sorry if this thread doesnt belong here, but ok well ive been working out for 4 years or more, and well it seems like i have reached a plateau and cant get stronger or bigger. Ive tried mostly everything from taking a week off to changing workout routines. I usually workout Mon-Fri. Mondays chest and tricep, tuesdays back, wednesdays legs, thursdays shoulders and traps and fridays biceps and triceps. My workouts usually last from 1:30 min to 2 hours becuase of ab and forearms workouts.

Ok well i have come to this website: http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/wei...tsof10reps.htm

and this website says that a lot of bodybuilders use the 10 sets 10 reps technique to break from plateaus and building new lean mass. the workout looks like this.

Mass Building 10 Sets of 10 Reps Bodybuilding Workout Routine

WORKOUT (A): THIGHS/HAMSTRINGS/CALVES

Superset:
    Squats 10 sets of 10 reps (no rest)
    Leg Curls 10 sets of 10 reps (1 minute of rest)

Superset:
    Leg Extensions 3 sets of 10-12 reps (no rest)
    Stiff Legged Dead-lifts 3 sets of 10-12 reps (1 minute of rest)

Calf Raises 10 sets of 10 reps (1 minute of rest)

WORKOUT (B): CHEST/BACK/ABS

Superset:
    Incline Bench Press 10 sets of 10 reps (no rest)
    Wide Grip Pull-up to Front 10 sets of 10 reps (1 minute of rest)

Superset:
    Flat Bench Flyes 3 sets of 10-12 reps (no rest)
    Low Pulley Rows 3 sets of 10-12 reps (1 minute of rest)

Leg Raise & Crunch Combination 10 sets of 10 reps (1 minute of rest)

WORKOUT (C): SHOULDERS/BICEPS/TRICEPS

Upright Rows 10 sets of 10 reps (1 minute of rest)

Bent Over Lateral Raises 3 sets of 10-12 reps (1 minute rest)

Superset:
    Incline Curls 10 sets of 10 reps (no rest)
    Triceps Dips 10 sets of 10 reps (1 minute of rest)

Workout Frequency
    I?ve benefited from doing each body part twice a week so I would perform Workout (A) on Monday/Thursday, Workout (B) on Tuesday/Friday and Workout (C) on Wednesday/Saturday. I?ve noticed however that this type of frequency works best for endomorphs like myself, which are people with a slow metabolism who as a result have faster recuperation capabilities.

After going through Workouts (A), (B), and (C) six times, change your routine to one that is heavier in weights (with around 5-6 reps mostly) and contains less sets. A good routine would be one that uses 5 sets of 5 reps with different basic exercises than the one above.

Well i happened to be endomorphs becuase i go hard at the gym and could keep up. And well it says to try the 5 sets 5 reps routine after 3 weeks on the 10 sets 10 reps routine. The routine looks like this:

Day 1 Chest & Back (Monday/Thursday)

Modified Compound Triset #1:
    (Rest 60 seconds after the 1st set of exercise 1 and then do the first set of exercise 2. Then rest 60 seconds and go to exercise #3. After 60 seconds of more rest start again with exercise #1. Continue this pattern until all three exercises are done for the prescribed amount of sets. That way you rest 3 minutes in between sets of the same exercise but save time).

Incline Bench Press 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)
    Wide Grip Pull-up To Front (Palms facing you) 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)
    Weighted Rope Crunches 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)

Modified Compound Triset #2:
    Chest Dips 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)
    One Arm Dumbbell Rows 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)
    Lying Leg Raises (with small weight in between feet) 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)

Day 2 Shoulders & Arms (Tuesday/Friday)

Upright Rows 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)
    Close Grip Bench Press 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)
    Preacher Curls 5 sets x 5 reps (90 second rest)

Rear Delt Rows 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)
    Triceps Pushdowns 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)
    Incline Hammer Curls 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)

Day 3 Legs (Wednesday/Saturday)

Squats (alternate one set medium and next set wide stance) 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)
    Lying Leg Curls 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)
    Calf Raises 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)

Leg Press 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)
    Stiff Legged Deadlifts 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)
    Calf Press 5 sets x 5 reps (60 second rest)

So my question to you all would this really work to break through my plateau? or is this just garbage? becuase im used of working out each muscle with 4-5 excercises and these are just asking for like 2 or 3. I would really appreciate some feedback, i know this is a lot of reading, and trust me i always rep back. Im a good sport you all.

i know its a lot to read, but i would rep back to anyone who replies to be honest lol, just want some advice. thanks.

Come on guys! lol just one response would help a lot....

wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Have you ever tried a 5x5 program?

Originally Posted by wmgatorfan View Post
    Have you ever tried a 5x5 program?
    not really, like i work out each muscle group once a week and i do sets from 8-10. But this program is saying first to start with the 10x10 program and then move on to the 5x5 program? why u ask?

wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmgatorfan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well if you have hit a plateau you might be interested in doing a 5x5. You should get great strength gains if you follow the program right. Then after you have finished with that you can go back to more of a body builders routine and pack on some nice size
    check out this link http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm

Originally Posted by wmgatorfan View Post
    Well if you have hit a plateau you might be interested in doing a 5x5. You should get great strength gains if you follow the program right. Then after you have finished with that you can go back to more of a body builders routine and pack on some nice size
    check out this link http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm
    yea that looks pretty good, so should i skip the 10x10 program? becuase its asking me to do the 10x10 for the first 3 weeks and then move to the 5x5 program the next 3 weeks?

this is what it says:

The perfect time to implement this 5 sets of 5 reps method of training is following a high volume phase like the 10 sets of 10 reps. Why is it important to train for strength after a high volume phase? Because this sort of training offers the following benefits:
    The testosterone levels go through the roof in response to the longer rest in between sets and the heavier weights.

Hypertrophy (muscle growth) occurs by the body increasing the actual diameter of the myofiber (the muscle fiber size) through increased protein synthesis. In other words, the actual protein content of the cell increases as well as the thickness of the muscle filaments. However, in this phase, strength gains come first and hypertrophy later.

Since your body?s recuperation abilities were built up to the maximum by the previous phase and the volume has gone down dramatically, these extra recuperation abilities are used to increase strength and build more muscle mass. The reason the body does this is in order to be prepared for another stressful period like the one it just went through.

so what do you think?

I wish I knew more about the 10x10 but I have never used it. I have used this 5x5 and am actually on my second go around with it right now. I know you could break through your plateau with the 5x5 routine.

well thanks a lot for that website, ill make sure to look into that! Anyone else know anything about this program? any help?