newb2003 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help Please! Reps of 12-10-8....What does it mean?

I've tried to ask for help on this, but got no replies, so I'll try again. Quick help or reply would be greatly appreciated.....

Sets of 12,10,8.

I see this sort of set breakdown on a number of routines.

I decided that I may try this "one year program" that I posted in another thread:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workyear.htm

For month one it states:

This repetition range will vary, but common belief is that 8-12 repetitions is optimal. We will start here. If you are able to get 13+ reps with a weight, it is too light. If you are able to get less than 8 reps with a weight it is too heavy. Make adjustments accordingly. I suggest you do your first set at 12 reps, 2nd at 10 reps, and 3rd at 8 reps for now.

I would think that an example of this would be to do a weight that I can lift for 12 reps, bump it up some and do 10 reps and then add more to do 8 reps.

The page for this month does not exactly state as seen here:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workyearprint.htm

However, when I go to month two, which builds slightly on month one, it states that the weights go down on sets 12,10,8 as seen here:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workyearprint2.htm

Notice that at the bottom it states states:

*Fill in the amount of weight you used in the space left blank after the amount of reps.
    Ex: Compound Legs� Barbell Squats 12/100 10/90 8/80
    This would mean that you did 12 reps with 100 pounds on your first set,
    10 reps with 90 pounds on your second and 8 reps with 80 pounds on your third.

Is the example from mont two as shown above how I should take month one to be also? or anytime I see this 12,10,8 set breakdown for that matter unless stated otherwise?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok, I am a little confused, but I will tell you what I think.

"This repetition range will vary, but common belief is that 8-12 repetitions is optimal. We will start here. If you are able to get 13+ reps with a weight, it is too light. If you are able to get less than 8 reps with a weight it is too heavy. Make adjustments accordingly. I suggest you do your first set at 12 reps, 2nd at 10 reps, and 3rd at 8 reps for now."

Man the above makes sense, but the other where it states drop the weight is ridicilous. All of this is about progression. If you are doing 12 for say 100, 10 for 125, and 150 for 8 than you stay at that weight until you can get more than you increase the weight. It is as simple as that. You said it is a "one year program" but man if it is do not do it for a year that is crazy. Change your routine at least every 4-6 weeks.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I would think that the 12-10-8 scheme would be the same way that you said. However, when I go to month 2, it shows the opposite in descending, which is why I'm confused.....

It is a one year program, but the routines and exercises change each month. You can chek it out above and see what I mean for all of this.

Any other help/info/suggestions/ appreciated. Thanks.

Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ned_Flanders has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Now I can see it as descending as you start with 8, 10, 12 reps, but even than you will start with the heaviest weight first and so on, and drop weight that way.

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The program is way to complicated and most people, with the exception of professional athletes, aren't going to stick to a year long program. There's nothing wrong with the programing concept that's being laid out. It's just to long.

Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    The program is way to complicated and most people, with the exception of professional athletes, aren't going to stick to a year long program. There's nothing wrong with the programing concept that's being laid out. It's just to long.
    Thanks for reply.

Aside from the confusion of the initial reps in month one as posted, it does not seem that confusing. It is laid out pretty well and I look forward to doing it for a year.

I just wish somebody would confirm that I am correct in assuming that the weights go up as the reps go down. I believe this is the case although the example for month 2 shows a decreasing weight as the reps go down, which does not make sense.

The reason that it is a year long program is exactly why I want to do it. I have better luck sticking to something long term like this when it is all laid out like this program. I do not think it is long at all when one considers that I have been doing the All Pro routine for almost 5 months and if I do another cycle it will be over 6. The length is not an issue for me. This one even changes every month, so it will be constantly something new.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. If anybody else can help or give their opinions on the rep scheme or other aspects of this program it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by newb2003; 05-20-2009 at 08:30 PM.