steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cool 16-20 sets to much?

I have been lifting for about 2yrs reagular basis now and just wanted you guys opinion on my chest routine. some people say its to much other people dont. This is just the list of the lifts i do. I will only do 4-5 of these lifts for each workout i like to mix it up alot and i am a big fan of the whole rest pause thing on every exercise. I didnt start out with this many sets eather i had to work up to it and have been lifting this way for about a year now for every thing trained except arms i keep them at 12 sets. Also if it matters i rest 2.5 to 3 min. Between sets. I have gone from 145lbs to 175lbs on a good day in the last 2yrs. but my gains have slowed down in the last 5-6 monthes. Thanks for any input on my routine.

4 sets for every thing 6-10 reps
    flat bench
    incline bench
    cable flys
    dumb bell flys on flat bench
    cable flys at multiple angles
    dips weighted
    dumbbell press on incline bench
    I also do all the barbell press on smith machine also.

mavstud3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mavstud3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mavstud3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mavstud3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mavstud3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mavstud3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mavstud3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mavstud3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mavstud3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mavstud3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mavstud3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It doesnt look like you you push yourself hard enough if you get close to 20 sets everytime with 6-10 reps

I usually hover around 10-12 sets and Im always sore

how long are you usually sore for?

Sweat Blood, Bleed Iron! TheStreetKing's Avatar
    TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mavstud3 View Post
    It doesnt look like you you push yourself hard enough if you get close to 20 sets everytime with 6-10 reps

I usually hover around 10-12 sets and Im always sore

how long are you usually sore for?
    Soreness doesn't mean a whole lot bro.
    My Gym is my Church, My Sweat is my Prayers, My Strength is my Salvation, I Am Animal.

Loyalty above all else, Except Honor!

eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Higher reps(12+) gives you more of a lean definition in your muscles.

Lower reps(6-12) will give you more mass in your muscles.
    900+ every time.

"It aint about how hard you can hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward."
    -Rocky Balboa

Slowly getting bigger!! dkemano42's Avatar
    dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by steelmover View Post
    I have been lifting for about 2yrs reagular basis now but my gains have slowed down in the last 5-6 monthes. Thanks for any input on my routine.

flat bench
    incline bench
    cable flys
    dips weighted
    Hey dude,

If you have been doing this same routine for that long, then its time for a change up. If nothing else change your rep set scheme. Maybe drop a couple exercises and make your reps 8 to 12 for awhile.

I would drop the db stuff one week and do barbell only, then the next week, do db only...or do reg bench with bb and incline with db one week and switch the next.

Also, since if you go up on reps, you need to go down on weight, this is a perfect time to wean off of the smith machine.

DK
    "After all is said and done, a lot more will have been said than done will have been done!"

echoenyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) echoenyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) echoenyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) echoenyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) echoenyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) echoenyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) echoenyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) echoenyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) echoenyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) echoenyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) echoenyx is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dkemano42 View Post
    Hey dude,

If you have been doing this same routine for that long, then its time for a change up. If nothing else change your rep set scheme. Maybe drop a couple exercises and make your reps 8 to 12 for awhile.

I would drop the db stuff one week and do barbell only, then the next week, do db only...or do reg bench with bb and incline with db one week and switch the next.

Also, since if you go up on reps, you need to go down on weight, this is a perfect time to wean off of the smith machine.

DK
    This.
    Awesome Traderz List:

soundcheck129
    TheStiffmeister

MP's COMBAT Powder Review
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117408321

Bodyforge/Cryoshock Review
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread .php?t=116681081

Herbal Incense Guide
    www.herbalincenseguide.com

steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I dont do the smith machine that much. I like to use the barbell on atleast 2-3 of my chest exercises and i will throw in one of the others on the list to finish up with or i will start with the nonbarbell exersice first so i can go heavy with it. for eg. i will do flys on flat bench first so i can use the 55lb db's for 4 sets of 6-8 reps. On average i am using the rest pause on the last 2 sets with those db's. Then i will continue with the barbell lifts.
    I am sore for no longer than a day after my chest routine and also i failed to mention i hit chest 2 times a week if i feel like it due to it being my week point at the moment. To be honest i dont feel content with less sets for chest and i have changed from low reps to high reps before and i dont realy get any where.

yeah i am still seeing gains i have just started doing chest with a buddy of mine so i can have a spoter. I can lift more weight with some forced reps. My chest has always been a s.o.b. when it comes to gaining size it sucks but i am seeing more progress since the spoter has came along. But he doesnt do as many sets as i do nor does he rest as long between sets but having a spoter is a big help.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by eXcelerate View Post
    Higher reps(12+) gives you more of a lean definition in your muscles.

Lower reps(6-12) will give you more mass in your muscles.

lower bodyfat gives you definition. Muscle is muscle
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eXcelerate is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    lower bodyfat gives you definition. Muscle is muscle
    well i've heard from many people higher reps gives you more of a leaner muscle while less reps gives you more mass.

could be a myth.. but I mean if you thikn about it.. doing more reps is burning more calories. and burning more calories = losing more fat.

so in reality more reps = losing weight.

its like running 5 miles or running 1 mile with weights tied on your shoes.
    900+ every time.

"It aint about how hard you can hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward."
    -Rocky Balboa

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That's absolutely fine.

I do 16-32 sets with excellent results.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    generally speaking I would say that your chest training routine is definitely overkill. However, I have seen some people get great success doing a really high-volume chest training routine. but it seems to be the exception rather than the norm.

Regardless, if you've been doing that routine for months on end, then it's absolutely time to change it. Variety in exercises and wraps is one of the absolute fundamental keys to ongoing progress.

Best
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TheStreetKing View Post
    Soreness doesn't mean a whole lot bro.
    But it dosent mean nothing either. . .

OP 16-20 sets is fine as long as you get enough rest and recovery for that muscle group before you train it again, to prevent yourself from over-training.

Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sir-Squat-alot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by eXcelerate View Post
    well i've heard from many people higher reps gives you more of a leaner muscle while less reps gives you more mass.

could be a myth.. but I mean if you thikn about it.. doing more reps is burning more calories. and burning more calories = losing more fat.

so in reality more reps = losing weight.

its like running 5 miles or running 1 mile with weights tied on your shoes.
    Its not all about how many calories you burn in the gym, yes you may burn more by doing higher reps, but your body recovers relativly quickly from that style of training(just like cardio). But if you were to train with much heavier weights for lower reps, it stress your body to a whole new level, thus increasing your metabolism outside of the gym for several days.
    Ayrton Senna R.I.P > The greatest ever.

*Cigar Crew*
    *Scotch Crew*
    *Piss in the shower crew*
    *Take dumps and mush it down the drain in the shower crew*
    *Squirt spa jets up my anus crew*

"If I was told to gut my children in order to prove my love for God or at least admire the man who did, I'd say no F*CK YOU." - Christopher Hitchens

JohnDoeNumba1 is just really nice. (+1000) JohnDoeNumba1 is just really nice. (+1000) JohnDoeNumba1 is just really nice. (+1000) JohnDoeNumba1 is just really nice. (+1000) JohnDoeNumba1 is just really nice. (+1000) JohnDoeNumba1 is just really nice. (+1000) JohnDoeNumba1 is just really nice. (+1000) JohnDoeNumba1 is just really nice. (+1000) JohnDoeNumba1 is just really nice. (+1000) JohnDoeNumba1 is just really nice. (+1000) JohnDoeNumba1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm not a firm believer in too many sets/reps/over training. Everybody's recovery is different. If you are seeing good gains & results from the routine you are doing, I say keep doing it. However, you mentioned that your gains are lacking so it's probably time to switch up your routine a bit. For a few weeks you may want to work a 5x5 program..or maybe even a 3x5 program, work with some heavier weight for a bit and then maybe go back to what you were doing.
    ██ █ ★ █ ██ Official Combat Veterans Crew ██ █ ★ █ ██

☆♦ 10-16-09: Never Forget ♦☆

Bodypump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bodypump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bodypump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bodypump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bodypump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bodypump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by steelmover View Post
    I have been lifting for about 2yrs reagular basis now and just wanted you guys opinion on my chest routine. some people say its to much other people dont. This is just the list of the lifts i do. I will only do 4-5 of these lifts for each workout i like to mix it up alot and i am a big fan of the whole rest pause thing on every exercise. I didnt start out with this many sets eather i had to work up to it and have been lifting this way for about a year now for every thing trained except arms i keep them at 12 sets. Also if it matters i rest 2.5 to 3 min. Between sets. I have gone from 145lbs to 175lbs on a good day in the last 2yrs. but my gains have slowed down in the last 5-6 monthes. Thanks for any input on my routine.

flat bench
    incline bench
    cable flys
    dips weighted

I would cut down the sets. increase the intensity instead.
    It's all about emptying the muscle, and you don't need so many sets to do that.

12 sets for chest is enough, and 6-8 for biceps and about the same for tricep, 8-10

Registered User Big Arm Big Pay's Avatar
    Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do about 20 sets for 8-12 reps, I think your problem is the huge rest periods you're taking.
    Workout log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=454246811#post454246811

"Dude...there are ALWAYS ninjas. You just can't see them." - HardGainer82, Clark Kent, WishmasterATM, BPP, poopoo333, JOSEF RAKICH

so can i do the 5x5 with 16-20 sets or is that to much? That routine does draw my attintion i would like to try it out i will search the forum for info on that routine. thanks for the advise from every one. I didnt think i would get so many responses.

GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dkemano42 View Post
    If you have been doing this same routine for that long, then its time for a change up. If nothing else change your rep set scheme.
    X3. Change is good. If your body is not responding to your workout, then change the workout. The number of sets is fine.
    Jesus is my lifting partner.

Registered User silverlightning's Avatar
    silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i try and stick to 16, with 10-12 being pressing and 4for isolation. but i only work chest one a week.

THE HEAVY IRON SQUAD,CUZZ ygbodybuilder10's Avatar
    ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bodypump View Post

12 sets for chest is enough, and 6-8 for biceps and about the same for tricep, 8-10
    please speak for yourself

i never grew doing 12 sets

Sweat Blood, Bleed Iron! TheStreetKing's Avatar
    TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ygbodybuilder10 View Post
    please speak for yourself

i never grew doing 12 sets
    ^^^^
    this
    My Gym is my Church, My Sweat is my Prayers, My Strength is my Salvation, I Am Animal.

Loyalty above all else, Except Honor!