bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10)

hex dumbells with 5 lb magnets or higher capacity powerblocks?

I already have a set of powerblocks and it limited to 45 lbs. I'm thinking about expanding and room is not an issue. Should I sell the Powerblocks and get the higher capacity90lb or should I get hex dumbells increments of 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and some 1.25 and 2.5 magnets? Price should be nearly the same.

fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    hex, you can drop them and not worry about them breaking!

RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by fizler View Post
    hex, you can drop them and not worry about them breaking!
    I've never heard of anyone breaking powerblocks by dropping them. Maybe you have them confused with the selectechs? If you can't keep yourself from dropping your bells then you're doing it wrong.

If price and space were not issues I'd rather have a hex set in 5lb increments. Between 10lb increments hex and powerblocks I would take the powerblocks.
    Last edited by metalman302; 05-15-2009 at 04:08 PM.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 21

fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fizler is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
    I've never heard of anyone breaking powerblocks by dropping them. Maybe you have them confused with the selectechs? If you can't keep yourself from dropping your bells then you're doing it wrong.

If price and space were not issues I'd rather have a hex set in 5lb increments. Between 1-0lb increments hex and powerblocks I would take the powerblocks.
    well when you lift heavy sometimes you try for that extra rep. I'd like the option to drop stuff and not worry about it. hence when I have all hex and pro series dumbbells.

RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by fizler View Post
    well when you lift heavy sometimes you try for that extra rep. I'd like the option to drop stuff and not worry about it. hence when I have all hex and pro series dumbbells.
    Positive muscular failure still happens before static failure, and even after static failure you could still control the negative. But I guess if you want that option as a matter of personal preference it's a valid point.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 21

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i've got powerblocks, mostly for cost/space savings. i can't see myself ever going back to a full set of hexes, but honestly i'm looking for used ones on cl over 95#. i picked up a pair of 100s for $25 with a crappy adjustable bench (yea, i was happy), but i'd like a few more pair of heavy dbs.

i'm not one to drop dbs, even if they are someone elses, so i don't worry about that. i don't think i've ever dropped one. a powerblock rep at the arnold told keetman and i that if you drop them you could damage them, so i suppose if you drop your dbs, you should figure out another option.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[]---[]Equipment Crew Member No.3[]---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #2 ()---()

bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb_chuck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    They look like you can drop them to at least 50 lbs. Dropping a 90 lb dumbell is serious business. The way they are made doesn't look like it can withstand constant punishment. Also I don't like the feel of dropping the powerblock with the handles touching you it can get caught on your wrist.

www.mutantfitness.com buffbrown21's Avatar
    buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    To each his own. With that said there are advantages to each.
    I personally sold my Powerblocks recently and have a set of hex's 10-100 (with some gaps).
    I would never go back to the Powerblocks, personally.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member #14

www.ShankAZombie.com

I was over the sporting good store. They have them in regular grips. Do you guys think the ergonomic grip makes a big difference?

kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Money and space are the advantage to Powerblocks. go with hex if the money is not an issue.
    I sell home and commercial fitness equipment, so if you have questions on equipment PM me and I will help.

“When the light comes down, and the earth shakes with the footsteps of a thousand battalions, when the air sings with the sound of clashing shields, and the ground is wet with the blood of men, that is when I am most alive. That is when my life is taken to the edge of the point, that is when I am invincible until the moment of death”

-Unknown Spartan Hoplite, 461 B.C.-

ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by kelt_22 View Post
    Money and space are the advantage to Powerblocks. go with hex if the money is not an issue.
    It may be chaper than buying a complete set but if you compare $/lb they completely rape you. You can make up a lot of the set price difference buying from garage sales. Your not going to have an easy time finding a powerblock at a garage sale.
    Tips for making food http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108736051

kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ewitte View Post
    It may be chaper than buying a complete set but if you compare $/lb they completely rape you. You can make up a lot of the set price difference buying from garage sales. Your not going to have an easy time finding a powerblock at a garage sale.
    If you go used, but new the power blocks are way cheaper.
    it is $750 to buy the DB's at a buck a pound before tax and without the racks to hold them.
    $598 is the MSRP of the 9.0 with extention to 90.

the sale price is $478 for the blocks so, if you can find 63 cents a lb or less go used.
    I sell home and commercial fitness equipment, so if you have questions on equipment PM me and I will help.

“When the light comes down, and the earth shakes with the footsteps of a thousand battalions, when the air sings with the sound of clashing shields, and the ground is wet with the blood of men, that is when I am most alive. That is when my life is taken to the edge of the point, that is when I am invincible until the moment of death”

-Unknown Spartan Hoplite, 461 B.C.-

Originally Posted by kelt_22 View Post
    If you go used, but new the power blocks are way cheaper.
    it is $750 to buy the DB's at a buck a pound before tax and without the racks to hold them.
    $598 is the MSRP of the 9.0 with extention to 90.

the sale price is $478 for the blocks so, if you can find 63 cents a lb or less go used.
    Powerblocks are way too popular here. 450 used with a bench and people will jump on it on Craigslist.

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bb_chuck View Post
    Powerblocks are way too popular here. 450 used with a bench and people will jump on it on Craigslist.
    well, that's a bit high for used, but there's a reason powerblocks and ironmasters are popular- they are worth the money to most people.

i'll admit it, though, i'd rather have a set of fixed weight if i had the patience to wait for them to show up used, and wanted to give up the floor space for them.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[]---[]Equipment Crew Member No.3[]---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #2 ()---()

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The biggest plus to ironmaster/powerblocks to someone like me would be weight. If you above ground level, a full set of hexs to 120lb is nearly 3000lb total weight! A set of adjustables is ~250lbs tops.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 22

ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I did get the Sport 9.0 without the addon to get to 90lbs. Will get later in the year sometime after my trip. No need yet while doing P90X.
    Tips for making food http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108736051

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ewitte View Post
    I did get the Sport 9.0 without the addon to get to 90lbs. Will get later in the year sometime after my trip. No need yet while doing P90X.
    Got to love the Powerblocks for P90X! They are hands down the best "adjustable" dumbbells for that program. FYI, if you plan on doing that program on the carpet it is worth the $40 for the Powerblock sport tray. Makes changing weights easier and faster than sitting them flat on a carpet floor. I liked the Powerblock stand but it ws not as stable as i would have liked. (Small children around)

Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000)
    I prefer a pair of Oly DB handles, myself, since I already have the plates. The handles I have are rated up to 150# each.

Yeah, adjustment/setup takes longer, but I think they're more versatile and you can get the weight increments in smaller amounts.

Originally Posted by Analyst View Post
    I prefer a pair of Oly DB handles, myself, since I already have the plates. The handles I have are rated up to 150# each.

Yeah, adjustment/setup takes longer, but I think they're more versatile and you can get the weight increments in smaller amounts.
    I thought about that but didn't want too many plates sitting around. You have to get them in pairs.