MeatBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeatBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeatBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeatBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeatBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein shake as 3 of the six meals a day?

Hello, I've been reading these forums for a while and find it brilliantly helpful, so thanks.
    This is my first post, and I'm asking:
    Is it okay to use a protein shake as 3 of the six small meals a day I need to help lose fat?

Basically at the minute I wake up, have some fruit, then a protein shake, then lunch, then a protein shake, then dinner, and then finally another protein shake in a day.

My ultimate aim is to lose bodyfat (currently 21% want to be around 12/13) but gain muscle at the same time (I've started weight training).

Thanks a lot, any help would be much appreciated.

SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's basically what I did from Jan-March and lost about 20lbs and kept it off. Slowly I began adding more varieties of food and snacks to my diet, but initially it was def. shakes in between 'regular' meals.

It's a good starting point if you don't know much more about nutrition, you can't really go wrong.
    I like my food clean, and my women dirty.

Ugly2Sexy is not very helpful. (-500) Ugly2Sexy is not very helpful. (-500) Ugly2Sexy is not very helpful. (-500) Ugly2Sexy is not very helpful. (-500) Ugly2Sexy is not very helpful. (-500) Ugly2Sexy is not very helpful. (-500) Ugly2Sexy is not very helpful. (-500) Ugly2Sexy is not very helpful. (-500) Ugly2Sexy is not very helpful. (-500) Ugly2Sexy is not very helpful. (-500) Ugly2Sexy is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by SanDantos View Post
    It's basically what I did from Jan-March and lost about 20lbs and kept it off. Slowly I began adding more varieties of food and snacks to my diet, but initially it was def. shakes in between 'regular' meals.

It's a good starting point if you don't know much more about nutrition, you can't really go wrong.
    what protein shake do you recommend? I also want to try this to catch up on my calories. i feel I am eating to little calories and the protien shakes should help.

i will also start lifting weights.
    03/01/09 - 189, BF% - 34
    03/08/09 - 183, BF% - 31
    03/15/09 - 178, BF% - 28
    03/22/09 - 175, BF% - 27
    03/29/09 - 174, BF% - 27
    04/12/09 - 173, BF% - 26
    04/19/09 - 172, BF% - 25
    04/26/09 - 172, BF% - 25
    05/03/09 - 171, BF% - 25
    05/10/09 - 170, BF% - 24
    05/17/09 - 168, BF% - 22
    05/24/09 - 164, BF% - 19
    05/31/09 - 161, BF% - 18

TODAY I AM 160 :D

SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000) SanDantos is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm in a very small town, there's one Walmart and one Shoppers Drug Mart that sells stuff. Since selection is VERY limited, I either order it online or stock up on whatever they have on sale. I usually get one thats lower in carbs, calories and sugar. Some more geared towards building muscle have double the calories and carbs. Most are like 100-200cals per scoop I've noticed. Again, my knowledge is very limited.

If you wanna add calories, I toss things like yogurt, fruit, oats, etc. into the shakes. Peanutbutter goes well, egg whites, flax, cottage cheese, milk, anything really. Depending on what taste or goals your after. I'd start by keeping track of how much protein you're putting into it, since thats probably what you'd be most interested in.

I was trying to lose weight, so I didn't really add too much to mine, also I'd usually make enough to split into 2 drinks for the day. I'm guessing I'd consume something in the neighborhood of 150-200 calories and 20-30g of protein per drink.
    I like my food clean, and my women dirty.

jonathan02us is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathan02us is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathan02us is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathan02us is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathan02us is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathan02us is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathan02us is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathan02us is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathan02us is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathan02us is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathan02us is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    A protein shake for breakfast? I guess that's okay, oatmeal and eggs would be a better choice because it gives you some fiber and complex carbs that will give you longer lasting energy. Plus it doesn't take to much time to make, 1.5 mins in the microwave and your done.

As far as protien shake recommendations, i like using BSN Sytha-6 because it has a few different types of protien, quick absorbing and slow absorbing, which will help you during the day. And if you need more calories, just an extra scoop or two depending on what your need. They also have different flavors that in my opinion are the best tasting aside from muscle milk. Hope this help, and good luck with everything!
    "Do today what others will not, so that you may do tomorrow what others can not."

Rep on recharge to:
    mormonpickett
    thorton

Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Subbing shakes for added meals was exactly how I started out. I don't believe in the whole 6 vs 3 vs 1 meal debate anymore (if it works for you, do it, there's no magic equation nutrient timing) but breaking up my meals really helped me to organize my food and get a good look at exactly how much I was eating and where my calories were coming from.

I started with the EAS protein from Target, but that gave me stomach cramps, so I moved on to the Optimum Nutrition. The taste is nothing to get excited over, but it's not bad.
    "You show me someone who got fat eating fruit and I'll show you someone with a deep fryer and too much time on their hands."

Y.K.K.M.M.F.

pmpimbura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmpimbura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmpimbura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmpimbura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmpimbura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmpimbura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmpimbura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmpimbura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmpimbura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmpimbura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmpimbura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I eat 7 meals a day but 3 of them are protein shakes.

I don't take a plain shake for breakfast because it doesn't have much carbs. I drink a protein shake made with 100% whey protein milk and 2 tbsp oats with a few blueberries or strawberries. This is my post workout shake too.

At night I just take casein protein mixed with water.

no problems yet. Feeling stronger every day and the weight is dropping.

khuseman is just really nice. (+1000) khuseman is just really nice. (+1000) khuseman is just really nice. (+1000) khuseman is just really nice. (+1000) khuseman is just really nice. (+1000) khuseman is just really nice. (+1000) khuseman is just really nice. (+1000) khuseman is just really nice. (+1000) khuseman is just really nice. (+1000) khuseman is just really nice. (+1000) khuseman is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have been taking whey as 3 meals out of my day for about a month now. Seems to work great. I haven't noticed any side effects. My lifts seem to be better too.

mike_az_21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike_az_21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike_az_21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My recipe for a shake is working out pretty well - Muscle Milk, generic protein, spoon of cottage cheese, 3 spoons of plain yogurt, banana, a few frozen strawberries, ice, 1/4 cup of OJ, 1/2 cup of skim milk. . . .Sometimes I also add 2 spoons of peanut butter.

This is a real good way to add protein to your diet. But, the problem is your body gets use to this fairly quickly, that's why I only have one a day. As for the rest, I try to eat protein rich foods like beef jerky, tuna and other lower fat foods.
    Height 5'10"
    Weight 173 Lbs.< As of 9/19/09. . .
    Bicep 16.0"+ (Goal 17")
    Waist 33" (Goal -30")
    Current body fat% - Unknown
    Max Bench 225 Lbs. x 2 (Goal - 275 Lbs. x Anything)
    Max easy Curl 105 Lbs x 5 (Goal - 150 Lbs. x Anything)

hotonice20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ugly2Sexy View Post
    what protein shake do you recommend? I also want to try this to catch up on my calories. i feel I am eating to little calories and the protien shakes should help.

i will also start lifting weights.
    EAS carb control - i take 3 a day.

Fiber 1 Bar/Coffee - 8:30 AM (Before drive to work...)
    Oatmeal - 930 AM
    EAS Shake 10 AM
    Workout 11 AM
    Gatorage Recovery Shake Post Workout
    Lunch (Turkey Sandwich, vegetables) 1 PM
    Small snack 3 PM
    EAS Shake 4 PM
    Dinner (Turkey or Chicken or Fish with veggies) with Muscle Armor 6 PM
    Fruit/Fat free ice cream 7 PM
    Cardio (Tennis/Hockey/Run) 8 PM
    EAS Shake 10 PM
    *** The problem is I get kind of hungry from 10-12 PM and not sure what to eat, so I eat some fruit but not sure if that's good for me....suggestions? Thanks.

Currently Im at 9% body fat...6'1 - 170...Goal is to get to 6/7...but it's proving to be VERY difficult. Will probably need to add more cardio to my program!
    Last edited by hotonice20; 05-14-2009 at 03:56 PM.

vipergq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vipergq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vipergq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vipergq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vipergq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vipergq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vipergq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vipergq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vipergq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vipergq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vipergq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    Hello, I've been reading these forums for a while and find it brilliantly helpful, so thanks.
    This is my first post, and I'm asking:
    Is it okay to use a protein shake as 3 of the six small meals a day I need to help lose fat?

Basically at the minute I wake up, have some fruit, then a protein shake, then lunch, then a protein shake, then dinner, and then finally another protein shake in a day.

My ultimate aim is to lose bodyfat (currently 21% want to be around 12/13) but gain muscle at the same time (I've started weight training).

Thanks a lot, any help would be much appreciated.
    During a cut I generally adhere to 2 meals and 3 shakes in between.

keep your calories in check and you'll be fine.

Make sure you are getting enough fiber and take your vitamins as well.