Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

BCAA post workout instead of whey?

would it be better to take BCAA's with carbs PWO instead of whey/carbs PWO?

right now i take 1 scoop VPX Zero Carb protein (24g protein) with 1 scoop Karbolyn (50g carbs). my friend, which is pretty huge, takes purple wraath with carbs instead of the typical whey.

i see the advantage of this, since BCAA's digest MUCH quicker than whey, but if thats the case i dont see why everyone doesnt just do this.
    :::Foot Fetish Crew:::
    :::Misc Cigar Crew:::

DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by EuphoriaPL View Post

right now i take 1 scoop VPX Zero Carb protein (24g protein) with 1 scoop Karbolyn (50g carbs). my friend, which is pretty huge, takes purple wraath with carbs instead of the typical whey.

i see the advantage of this, since BCAA's digest MUCH quicker than whey, but if thats the case i dont see why everyone doesnt just do this.
    I think whey is a much better choice over BCAAs because whey contains every amino acid. Just use a faster digesting whey like isolate to speed nutrients into the muscle.
    Obsession is what lazy people call dedication

EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuphoriaPL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DedicatedToLift View Post
    I think whey is a much better choice over BCAAs because whey contains every amino acid. Just use a faster digesting whey like isolate to speed nutrients into the muscle.
    yea thats what i've been doing, but he's telling me that BCAA's > whey for PWO. i want to believe him because of his bodybuilding background and knowledge but its not something i hear/see often so im kind of questioning this concept

PoGo86 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PoGo86 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PoGo86 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PoGo86 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PoGo86 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PoGo86 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PoGo86 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PoGo86 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PoGo86 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PoGo86 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PoGo86 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Why not take BCAA's and Whey Post workout?
    A year from now, you’ll wish you started today.

DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DedicatedToLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yea thats what i've been doing, but he's telling me that BCAA's > whey for PWO. i want to believe him because of his bodybuilding background and knowledge but its not something i hear/see often so im kind of questioning this concept
    What you can do is take either Purple Wraath or Xtend (or some other BCAA product) intra-workout and then whey protein afterwards. The best of two worlds haha.

I just think that whey is more beneficial post workout because it gives you all the amino acids your body needs to build muscle.

What you can do is take either Purple Wraath or Xtend (or some other BCAA product) intra-workout and then whey protein afterwards. The best of two worlds haha.
    thats what i do now.

he takes PW pre and post, nothing intra.

i take PW intra, then my whey & carbs post, and he's telling me to switch it up.

its just that...

blumnblam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blumnblam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blumnblam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blumnblam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blumnblam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blumnblam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blumnblam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blumnblam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blumnblam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blumnblam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blumnblam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Purple Wraath is EAA (which contains BCAAs in it).

What I'd do (if I had infinite money) is 2+ scoops PW intra, whey protein hydrosylate + 5g Leu (or BCAAs, just get 3-5g Leu) + carbs (Vitargo) post.

If you don't want PW intra, you can go with IntrAbolic, XF Ice, or Core ABC, imo. Obviously, Xtend is also an option but...

ffAA will hit your muscles quicker; thus it's best to have them in your bloodstream asap during/post workout. If you have a whey shake 45 min before your workout, you'll have plenty of AA floating in bloodstream anyways; it's just you want higher quantities of Leu/Iso/Val.
    Last edited by blumnblam; 05-12-2009 at 07:55 PM.

thats what i do now.

he takes PW pre and post, nothing intra.

i take PW intra, then my whey & carbs post, and he's telling me to switch it up.
    I'd just keep doing what you're doing, especially if you are seeing results. He obviously is much bigger because he has experience, but he may also have genetics geared towards muscle. Just because he is ripped doesn't mean he is necessarily right, but I cannot say that I am correct either. What a conundrum...hmm...

I'd just keep doing what you're doing, especially if you are seeing results. He obviously is much bigger because he has experience, but he may also have genetics geared towards muscle. Just because he is ripped doesn't mean he is necessarily right, but I cannot say that I am correct either. What a conundrum...hmm...
    he's not that ripped. he is huge though.

he did a few cycles, last one was 8 months ago. he also paid really good money for a trainer that actually trained victor martinez, so i believe that he has some legit knowledge on this stuff and i dont have any reason not to trust him. im just skeptical because its not supplement routine i hear of often, if at all.

he's not that ripped. he is huge though.

he did a few cycles, last one was 8 months ago. he also paid really good money for a trainer that actually trained victor martinez, so i believe that he has some legit knowledge on this stuff and i dont have any reason not to trust him. im just skeptical because its not supplement routine i hear of often, if at all.
    Give it a go man, you might get even better results than what you're currently doing. Try for 3-4 weeks, and if you don't like it then just switch back. It shouldn't hurt your gains to give it a try.

Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If your taking waxy maize then yes you should take bcaa's with your carb shake. Then take whey shortly after. Your better off taking whey/bcaa's/carb about 10 minutes before your workout and during. You should go with about 1/2 before and 1/2 during, this way you allow time for it to enter your system. Don't skip out on the whey
    "using no way as a way, using no limitations as a limitation."

the thing is if i decide to take 2 shakes, by the time i can take the second one, i might as well eat a meal because id be home within that 20 min

Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wilki29 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    the thing is if i decide to take 2 shakes, by the time i can take the second one, i might as well eat a meal because id be home within that 20 min
    You could always just throw whey/carb/bcaa into one shake. Karoblyn is derived from potatoes, and honestly it seems over priced. I don't have experience with that product, but I know you can get waxy maize for much cheaper, and from ive read, its more effective than maltodextrin and dextrose. With waxy maize, its more effective to take that and bcaa's seperate due to the fact that it is digested quicker than whey, and thats why you take it after. I know there are a lot of people that can vouch for its effectiveness, and you can read about studies on it. From my experience its the best thing ive ever tried

Originally Posted by Wilki29 View Post
    You could always just throw whey/carb/bcaa into one shake.

With waxy maize, its more effective to take that and bcaa's seperate due to the fact that it is digested quicker than whey, and thats why you take it after.
    so are you saying take the three together or seperatly?

MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I hope people are eating near post workout. In that case BCAAs and a meal may be ideal if your worried about catabolism.

Maybe 4.5g of AST capped BCAAs and a meal. Cheers, thats what i'll be doing at least until I finish off the rest of the tub.

MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JackC1027 View Post
    Its best to keep it simple.

I just think that whey is more beneficial post workout because it gives you all the amino acids your body needs to build muscle.
    Iv been taking PW intra, which I feel keeps me covered until I have a whole meal. Anyway, its the pre workout meal that keeps you covered until you post workout meal. Supplements are just candy unnecessary candy in between to sustain your placebo craving.

Originally Posted by blumnblam View Post

ffAA will hit your muscles quicker; thus it's best to have them in your bloodstream asap during/post workout. If you have a whey shake 45 min before your workout, you'll have plenty of AA floating in bloodstream anyways; it's just you want higher quantities of Leu/Iso/Val.
    Exactly, along with the other meals like breakfast and lunch. There is this big thing on speed, which isnt even proven in a feed state, and is just supplement company hype that gets passed on, and will continue to be passed on for centuries to come.

Give it a go man, you might get even better results than what you're currently doing. Try for 3-4 weeks, and if you don't like it then just switch back. It shouldn't hurt your gains to give it a try.
    If your saying give the BCAAs ago, id agree, but since its a muscle growth thing, and not an effect thing, i.e pump, water, glycogen you should give it 6 weeks. At least 4-6 weeks. Where looking for real muscle growth here, not psydo false muscle growth or perpetual pump that people will pass of as awsome gains and results.

so are you saying take the three together or seperatly?
    With the current carb supplement, id say yes. Its nonsense to not take whey either before/during or after a workout.

Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Completely unnecessary and most likely ineffective.
    I want to touch the butt.

Originally Posted by Wilki29 View Post
    With the current carb supplement, id say yes. Its nonsense to not take whey either before/during or after a workout.
    yes to what lol

vtx7 is just really nice. (+1000) vtx7 is just really nice. (+1000) vtx7 is just really nice. (+1000) vtx7 is just really nice. (+1000) vtx7 is just really nice. (+1000) vtx7 is just really nice. (+1000) vtx7 is just really nice. (+1000) vtx7 is just really nice. (+1000) vtx7 is just really nice. (+1000) vtx7 is just really nice. (+1000) vtx7 is just really nice. (+1000)
    BCAA's sipped pre and intra workout and then whey and carbs post workout.

For your weight about 40g of protein and 40g of carbs would be plenty for a post workout shake. Try to have this within 30 minutes

Originally Posted by vtx7 View Post
    BCAA's sipped pre and intra workout and then whey and carbs post workout.

For your weight about 40g of protein and 40g of carbs would be plenty for a post workout shake. Try to have this within 30 minutes
    i just have 1 scoop of vpx's protein. i've been told since its so bioavailable i dont need more than that, especially since im taking it with 50g of carbs

RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I tend to think that this "I must get as many aminos in my bloodstream within 30 seconds of finishing my workout" train of thought is really getting overblown.

While getting some quality protein and carbs into your system post workout is undoubtedly important, I really don't buy into what is becoming an EXTREME sense of urgency in this matter. A reasonable amount of protein and carbo within 15-45 min post-wo is going to be fine IMO.

To me, BCAA/EAA products, their ease of digestibility, their speed of digestion etc. really come into play intra-wo, when you don't want to be chugging a heavier beverage like whey, and have a limited window (IE your workout time) when you hope they are present in sufficient levels to be effective.

EAA/BCAA- intra or pre

Whey, whole food etc. -post
    I OWE: JohnnyChristian
    negs:
    OWES ME:

frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frank69688 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There is no studies conclude that isolated whey is faster digesting than concentrated whey.
    Whey isolates actually just removing the extra carb and fat thus make it tolerant to lactose intolerant.

nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I might have missed this but when do you eat carbs pre-workout or i should say when is your last meal before you workout? Reason being I have alot of sucess taking my Karbolyn pre-workout with BCAA's, reason being Karbolyn is the cleanist Carb out their, and will keep your glycogen levels up for a good period of time resulting in great energy and endurance for your workout. Also because of its unique molecular weight it will act as a carrier for other supplements and make them more potent, as you'll bypass your stomach harsh acids, as long as you don't oversaturate the carrier aspect of it.

I also find sipping on 1/2 serving of Karbolyn 10min prior to the end of my workout until your finished, and then drinking the rest immediatly post workout is the best way to take it, as it will give you a boost for last few sets and help elevate insulin levels. 10 to 20min after finishing your karbolyn, then take your protein! Taking the protein with the Karbolyn will eliminate its unique carrier aspects.

Also when taking Karbolyn mix one scoop of Karbolyn with 18-20oz of water!!
    Professional Supplements - Rep!!!

JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    This sounds like bad advice to me. Why would you want to just take your BCAA's and not the other many aminos? Remeber you need more than just BCAA's for protein sysnthesis. It makes more sense to take your whey that contains large amounts of BCAA's and other essential amino's!

nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateedogg27 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JJA View Post
    This sounds like bad advice to me. Why would you want to just take your BCAA's and not the other many aminos? Remeber you need more than just BCAA's for protein sysnthesis. It makes more sense to take your whey that contains large amounts of BCAA's and other essential amino's!
    JJA, Who are you referring too? If it is my post, i'm not saying he shouldn't take protein! Read it completely.
    Professional Supplements - Rep!!!

_Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JackC1027 View Post
    Bingo. That is what I do.

Post-workout - Universal Torrent w/ 3 BCAA Max caps
    Best Meet Lifts:
    SQ: 460 (sleeves)
    BP: 350
    DL: 510
    Total: 1300 (242 wrapped)

"I refuse to tip-toe through life, only to arrive safely at death"

www.animalpak.com

mjwarburton will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjwarburton will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjwarburton will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjwarburton will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjwarburton will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjwarburton will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjwarburton will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjwarburton will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjwarburton will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjwarburton will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjwarburton will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would stick to what you are doing. All Whey's have good AA profiles with them, not just BCAA alone. If you're having a good meal 60-90 prior to w/o, a good intra-drink, usually loaded with more AA, and a whey shake after, more AA, and a good meal after, which is more AA, you should be fine. But, to everyone their own.
    When I see myself in the mirror, I say, "Fcuk that guy, I can do better."

JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JJA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by nateedogg27 View Post
    JJA, Who are you referring too? If it is my post, i'm not saying he shouldn't take protein! Read it completely.
    fo sho. i wasnt refferinng to you.

jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would take both. Can't hurt a thing. I've been doing 5 scoops of BCAAs/EAAs/Creatine mix pre/intra workout and then slamming whatever i have left post....take some bcaas...whey protein....carbs(if you want) I still see results without this insulin jackin nonsense everyone else uses.
    KettleBURN Fitness and Personal Training
    CrossFit Level 1 Trainer (CF-L1)