Closed Thread
    matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Peck deck machine vs dumbbell flies

I know that in the vast majority of cases (if not almost all) freeweights are superior to machines.

However what got me thinking was the Peck deck machine: it keeps the tension on your pecs equal throughout the whole range of motion while as if you were to do dumbbell flies, then the tension would decrease substantially when the dumbbells are raised over you.

I was wondering perhaps this is one place where a machine can be considered a bit better than freeweights due to the constant pressure? Or is that constant pressure not important for proper muscle development and having maximum pressure at only one part of your range of motion will suffice?

Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by matjusm; 05-12-2009 at 02:40 PM.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I likedoing 1-arm flies on the pec deck fly because you can go past the center of your chest for a much stronger contraction than you can get with dumbbells. Really burns the inner pec line, good for bringing out detail there.

I like using dumbbell flies best for the stretch you get at the end of the negative stroke. Nothing beats that for bringing out the outer edges of the pecs.

So, I like using them both for different purposes.
    Last edited by hulkinout; 05-12-2009 at 02:36 PM.
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.

dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Well ya got it backwards on the flys, tension decreases as the weight comes up. The problem on peck deck is the weird angle it puts your arms at, something to do with the shoulder angle and no support can cause injuries. I clearly dont know the technical details so maybe someone else can chime in.

You may be better of with cable flys if you want the constant tension.

gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    do both and add in cable flys at various angles.

My gym has 4 different pec decks + 3 cable stations. That in addition to DB's will hit it from every angle.
    oh and gecko that link did not contain answers only the search page - swiftness_02

The foods that trigger ketosis are high in carbs, not sugars - michaeldude

wmk75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dantheman999 View Post
    "Well ya got it backwards on the flys, tension decreases as the weight comes up"
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong but didn't he say the same thing?
    "while as if you were to do dumbbell flies, then the tension would decrease substantially when the dumbbells are raised over you."

aleeboy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aleeboy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aleeboy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aleeboy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aleeboy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aleeboy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aleeboy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aleeboy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aleeboy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aleeboy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aleeboy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I like the feeling and burn you get when using the pec dec with some plates on top of the stack. However, if you use proper technique, the DB incline fly is a sensational move and give me a better upper chest workout than the incline bench.

Cables are great too. I do the low pulley chest flies on these. Excellent exercise if you want to switch from incline DB flies.

monoshunter will become famous soon enough. (+50) monoshunter will become famous soon enough. (+50) monoshunter will become famous soon enough. (+50) monoshunter will become famous soon enough. (+50) monoshunter will become famous soon enough. (+50) monoshunter will become famous soon enough. (+50) monoshunter will become famous soon enough. (+50) monoshunter will become famous soon enough. (+50) monoshunter will become famous soon enough. (+50) monoshunter will become famous soon enough. (+50) monoshunter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    cable flys>pec deck
    PSN = monoshunter

aus gamers add me

jacpot is just really nice. (+1000) jacpot is just really nice. (+1000) jacpot is just really nice. (+1000) jacpot is just really nice. (+1000) jacpot is just really nice. (+1000) jacpot is just really nice. (+1000) jacpot is just really nice. (+1000) jacpot is just really nice. (+1000) jacpot is just really nice. (+1000) jacpot is just really nice. (+1000) jacpot is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by aleeboy View Post
    However, if you use proper technique, the DB incline fly is a sensational move and give me a better upper chest workout than the incline bench.
    LOL wut?

How is a fly move giving you better results then a incline press move?
    Fly's might make you more SORE but i doubt it promotes more growth than a press.

Well for me it don't
    For everything hip hop related subscribe to my blog. Its really cool
    http://arrogantempire.blogspot.com

.::MiscMarioBros::.

brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Use both, switch it up...

ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I switch it up...but i like the pec dec alot. You can get the same stretch as you get when using DBs...but it also allows you to get maximum contraction when squeezing and lifting the weight. When using DBs most of the tension on your chest is at the bottom of the movement...you don't get that much contraction at the top/end of the motion. I get a better squeeze with the pec dec.

As Hulk said...doing one arm at a time gives an even better contraction b/c you can go further across your chest than when doing two arms together

Get ripped or die mirin' Westboarder's Avatar
    Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Pec decs are inferior to cable flyes. You are not working with the same range of movement and a pec dec is not customizable to its user. With cable flyes you can get much better concentration as long as you are using perfect form.

dinger8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dinger8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dinger8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dinger8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dinger8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dinger8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dinger8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dinger8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dinger8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dinger8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dinger8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by hulkinout View Post
    I likedoing 1-arm flies on the pec deck fly because you can go past the center of your chest for a much stronger contraction than you can get with dumbbells. Really burns the inner pec line, good for bringing out detail there.

I like using dumbbell flies best for the stretch you get at the end of the negative stroke. Nothing beats that for bringing out the outer edges of the pecs.

So, I like using them both for different purposes.
    this^^^^^^^
    its all about inner and outter for me also
    my opinions are just that, opinions

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Westboarder View Post
    Pec decs are inferior to cable flyes. You are not working with the same range of movement and a pec dec is not customizable to its user. With cable flyes you can get much better concentration as long as you are using perfect form.
    I agree. Cable flys have the range of motion independence that the pec deck lacks, and they have the constant tension that the dumbbell flys lack. If I had to pick one, I'd go with the cable flys.

Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Westboarder is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I think a lot of people use pec dec because it is more user friendly to the novice.

ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10) ItalynStalyn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    People...at least me...use the pec dec because it's more of a controlled motion and you can focus more on the contraction of the muscle. Yes cables give you more range of motion in the you are able to move outside a linear path of motion...but that also means you have to focus more on ensuring you are keeping perfect form and control...and that may take away from concentrating soley on the squeeze/contraction at the top of the movement.

Neither is superior to the other...it all depends what works better for you

Team Boss Barbell Club Rsardinia's Avatar
    Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I like them all. Personally I just keep switching it up to keep the variation high in my workouts. Do pec deck one week, do cable flyes the next, then do dumbbell flyes the following week. Or do more than one of those in a chest day. It's all about what your routine looks like and what you are trying to do with it. Each of these exercises has its benefits but ultimately they all work out your chest well.

Originally Posted by ItalynStalyn View Post
    People...at least me...use the pec dec because it's more of a controlled motion and you can focus more on the contraction of the muscle. Yes cables give you more range of motion in the you are able to move outside a linear path of motion...but that also means you have to focus more on ensuring you are keeping perfect form and control...and that may take away from concentrating soley on the squeeze/contraction at the top of the movement.

Neither is superior to the other...it all depends what works better for you
    I strongly feel that once you achieved proficiency with cables, you can then focus on getting peak contraction every time. All gym equipment starts with a learning phase. And similar to balancing free weights, cable pull-downs require some serious practice.

mbowerman71 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbowerman71 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbowerman71 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbowerman71 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbowerman71 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbowerman71 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbowerman71 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbowerman71 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbowerman71 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbowerman71 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbowerman71 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

To Deck those Pecks or or not to Deck

I think it is important not to say one or the other. Both lifts have their uses. For building shear mass Flat Bench, Incline Bench, and Flyes are key. That does not preclude using the Peck Deck to hit the muscle tissue using that constant weight resistance. I think in the end it is what works best for you. Many newer trainers will speak ill of Flyes calling them dangerous. Any lift is dangers if done with poor form and can end up tearing muscle and tendons. Flyes allow for a wider range of motion and allow the lifter to adjust the tension through the lift. The Peck Deck takes much of that control away. For some that is the best option. In the end you will have to find what works best for you. What causes more growth? Just using Flyes? Using Peck Deck, or using both?
    Matt
    "The only easy day was yesterday. Moving forward one step at a time, one rep at a time"