cardiocutie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Bad SHIN SPLINTS

Hi Anyone have or found a MIRACLE CURE? I am hurting really bad and had to stop running! Damn SHINS they will do it to you each and every time.

Thanks a Bunch..
    Last edited by cardiocutie; 05-12-2009 at 11:02 AM.
    CARDIO CUTIE FEELIN THAT SPRING AND SUMMER VIBE

ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    take a rest from running perhaps. When you are ready to begin again then try not to strike your heel down so hard when making your forward stride and prevent the front/ball of your foot from slapping the treadmill belt when it comes down. Instead try to roll smoothly from heal to toe using the outer area of the bottom of your foot. That "rolling" from heel to toe has helped me as my runners knee was healing... it prevented the sharp impact of the heal and or ball of foot from taking all the brunt punishment.

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do some weight training for your Tibialis Anterior, that will help stop shin splints in no time.
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

QuadR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuadR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuadR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuadR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuadR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuadR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuadR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuadR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuadR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuadR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuadR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by cardiocutie View Post
    Hi Anyone have or found a MIRACLE CURE? I am hurting really bad and had to stop running! Damn SHINS they will do it to you each and every time.

Thanks a Bunch..
    Let them rest for a week or so. Do you have "proper fitting" running shoes? You can go to specialized foot stores who can size you based on width, instep/arch, running patterns, etc... Brooks, Asics, New balance, etc... are all exceptional running shoes and have been in the market for "personal fit" for years. Good Luck!!
    "Nobody's a natural! You work hard to get good, then work harder to get better. It's hard to stay on top"!

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    compression socks.

expensive but worth every penny.

MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by snoack View Post
    compression socks.

expensive but worth every penny.
    LOL.......I was just going to send her to the running thread and here you are.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=115766121

OP maybe take a look in here ^^^^^^
    Happily married father of four and grandfather of two and one on the way. Edit: Grandfather of 3 as of 02/28/2009.

http://workout.bodybuilding.com/MtnBikeMike/

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113013061

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!" Texas A&M University.

filo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) filo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) filo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) filo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) filo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) filo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) filo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) filo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) filo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) filo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) filo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thanks a Bunch..
    i feel ur pain, i love running & ijury from running is hell. These articals should help

btw saucony shoes are the best & only shoes every runner should wear ahaah

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/tool...=What%20Hurts?
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...3077-0,00.html
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...2604-0,00.html
    Last edited by filo01; 05-12-2009 at 02:30 PM.
    THE JUICE IS WORTH THE SQUEEZE!!

I love supplements but my stomic seems to hate them, Always on the look out for the perfect set of products that will get me the results i want, without the pain i hate so much!!

Loving!!
    GNC - Megamen
    PVL Hydroflow
    Allmax Creatine

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Toe running cured both my knee pain and my shin splints.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Give your shins a chance to heal up by stopping running for a week or two.

It wont kill you, it will actually make it better.

Make sure that you have good running shoes, not walmart types but real shoes that you pay alot for becasue they are designed for running.

When you start running again, try to shorten your stride a bit. This will make a big difference for you becasue alot of time we tend to take giant strides while running which results in shin splints.

Leave them alone while you are taking time off. Dont stretch them or fiddle with them, just let them heal.

If you run on a treadmill try to run flat instead of on an incline.

I did all of these things and used to have terrible shin splints but these things cured them. They never came back.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Smile

Gotta stop running for a few weeks.

Eat plenty of food for right now. Consider doing some leg presses and/or hack squats for a few weeks...or more.

Walking 30 min/day (dog?) is OK but don't do more than that.

Get 8h of good sleep per night. Just enjoy spring and enjoy the sunshine (in moderation).

Take the days off to let the bone knit back together. Consider a calcium supplement with moderate outdoor sunshine...only if you think that you need it. You probably get plenty of sun already from the running, so probably what you need is rest.

After a couple of weeks off, you'll be amazed at your distances! :-) :-) :-)
    investigating mechanics of pulleys, levers, and mass.

cardiocutie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Treatment Plan for Shin Splints

Thanks everyone for the responses, its nice to know that the "Runners World really Exits"
    I don't think it is my shoes, I have been running long enough to know about making sure you wear the Proper Shoe. I am a "New Balance" girl have been I swear by them.
    I went to a Sports Chiropracter and boy I am begining to regret it, he performed this Graston Technique on my shins, it HURTS SO BAD while he is doing it you want to DIE.

To say the least I am staying off my FEET complete rest, I have to shut it down for a while, and hope for the best!

Enjoy your Summer...
    CARDIO CUTIE FEELIN THAT SPRING AND SUMMER VIBE

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks everyone for the responses, its nice to know that the "Runners World really Exits"
    I don't think it is my shoes, I have been running long enough to know about making sure you wear the Proper Shoe. I am a "New Balance" girl have been I swear by them.
    I went to a Sports Chiropracter and boy I am begining to regret it, he performed this Graston Technique on my shins, it HURTS SO BAD while he is doing it you want to DIE.

To say the least I am staying off my FEET complete rest, I have to shut it down for a while, and hope for the best!

Enjoy your Summer...
    A lot of responses here, but most are at least, very incomplete. First, your NB shoes may not be as well suited for you as you think. This would be the fist place I'd check and compare (if possible to compare to another pair). Also, there is usually no need to take weeks off, lol. Yes, it depends on the severity, but in general, you can usually run only a day or two after experiencing them. It's all individual. Your stride is also very important, and leaning forward too much can really take its toll. You might try to avoid hills/inclines and work around it, so to speak....until it goes away. Lastly, stretching is more important than most people can comprehend when it comes to running. Failure to do so can result in Plantar Fasciitis, shin splints, ham string pulls, cramps, and other injuries in general. And by all means, feel welcome to post in the Runner's Thread here at BB.com that was linked above in here. I feel that we have a small advantage over runner's world; most of us here are primarily lifters, and run second. This can present unique challenges for us that you might not find answers to at RW. Our needs vary significantly over those who primarily run, and might lift as a secondary consideration.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

MrJacko03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrJacko03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrJacko03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrJacko03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrJacko03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrJacko03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrJacko03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrJacko03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrJacko03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrJacko03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrJacko03 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Three things......

1. Make sure that your shoes are the right ones - get them checked in a pro store with video...if you are not 100% sure (It has nothing to do with brand and everything to do with proper support - pronation/neutral/supination).

2. Work out your front Tibialis Anterior (it helps a lot)

3. Buy a tube of "Felden gel" or something similar (every single person who runs should have one - use it after running until pain is gone)

Now..........you are good to go ;o)
    Last edited by MrJacko03; 06-05-2009 at 05:26 AM.

kevinbfranklin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stop Running for now

Ok, From experience. I did two Tri's last year. I worked through my shin splints. Tried everything. Except the obvious, stop and take a break. I ended up with a muscle hernia on the front of my right shin. Looks like an ugly boil. Doc doesn't want to fix it because he says it would actually make it worse if he did. This is because it would make it even tighter.
    Also, shoes was a big issue. Yes I was being a tight wad. You have to spend the money and get fitted if you are going to run a lot. Just the cost of doing business. Hope I helped. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth.
    Pain is only temporary!

filipino_muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) filipino_muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

foam roller

Thanks a Bunch..

You probably have knots galore in the lower leg muscles. However, the leg muscles are a whole system - like a Jenga game - one out of whack, then all out of whack.

Foam roll from ankle to hip, separated by sections. Do front and back of legs one night, then inside and outside of legs the next night. Repeat every night. It WILL BE PAINFUL at first because we punish our muscles in the gym or with any physical activity. They have them at the gym, but I bought my own to use every night before sleep.

youtube it.
    DON'T LOSE WEIGHT . . . LOSE FAT.

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by QuadR View Post
    Let them rest for a week or so. Do you have "proper fitting" running shoes? You can go to specialized foot stores who can size you based on width, instep/arch, running patterns, etc... Brooks, Asics, New balance, etc... are all exceptional running shoes and have been in the market for "personal fit" for years. Good Luck!!
    this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^

Originally Posted by dbx View Post
    A lot of responses here, but most are at least, very incomplete. First, your NB shoes may not be as well suited for you as you think. This would be the fist place I'd check and compare (if possible to compare to another pair). Also, there is usually no need to take weeks off, lol. Yes, it depends on the severity, but in general, you can usually run only a day or two after experiencing them. It's all individual. Your stride is also very important, and leaning forward too much can really take its toll. You might try to avoid hills/inclines and work around it, so to speak....until it goes away. Lastly, stretching is more important than most people can comprehend when it comes to running. Failure to do so can result in Plantar Fasciitis, shin splints, ham string pulls, cramps, and other injuries in general. And by all means, feel welcome to post in the Runner's Thread here at BB.com that was linked above in here. I feel that we have a small advantage over runner's world; most of us here are primarily lifters, and run second. This can present unique challenges for us that you might not find answers to at RW. Our needs vary significantly over those who primarily run, and might lift as a secondary consideration.
    but even moreso this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

_Fitbod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks a Bunch..

I work with marathon runners, some had shin splints in their prep..take 2 weeks off,..then strengthen your anterior tibialis, perform a tibia flex exercise, you can do at home with resistance bands. It will work!! Good luck! :-)
    "Age is a mind over matter, if you dont mind, it does not matter" Mark Twain

chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thanks a Bunch..
    something that has not been mentioned? I dont think...you need to stretch your calf muscles..this can have a direct effect impact on your shins, take a 2x4 and rest your toes on it and go up and down calf raise or use edge of stairs, I have had bad shin splints. you need.
    1. Ice...
    2. Rest
    3. Stretch and strectch..

Good luck !
    " Your only true competion in life is the person who works harder then you "

titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I found the cure that works for me, I was dealing with shin splints for 2 years. How did I stop pain altogether? I didn't stop working out, I didn't cut down my training, I quit stretching my calfs and took ice baths after every running/plyo session.

PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Like most painful conditions, there is more than one possible cause, therefore, more than one possible cure or corrective action. A couple examples:

...The reason is that some runners overstride, and land heavily on the heel with each footstrike (thus, shin splints are a common ailment in military boot camp, where trainees march extensively by extending the leg forward and forcefully striking the boot heel on the ground). When this happens, the forefoot rapidly slaps down to the ground. Effectively, the foot, which is dorsiflexed prior to making contact with the ground, is forcefully plantarflexed. This forceful plantar flexion of the foot causes a corresponding rapid stretch in the attached muscles. A reflex in the muscles responds, causing a powerful contraction. It is this eccentric contraction which leads to muscle soreness and possible injury to the muscle, tendon or connective tissue...
    ... a contributing cause of shin muscle pain in some cases is the relative weakness of the muscles on the anterior of the lower leg compared to those in the calf. Exercises designed to strengthen the muscles of the shin are prescribed to even out the muscle imbalance. Over time, usually at least 10 days, the pain in the shins is slowly alleviated as the muscle imbalance is corrected. The shin pain is attributed to a forced extension of the muscle, in this case by the opposing calf muscles which "overpower" the shin muscles...

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thanks a Bunch..
    you have to rest them and let them heal for now but when you start your training again try not to over do it break into it easy. Good Luck!
    O35 5'8" Crew

Registered User BigSlick-------'s Avatar
    BigSlick------- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigSlick------- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigSlick------- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigSlick------- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigSlick------- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigSlick------- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigSlick------- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigSlick------- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigSlick------- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigSlick------- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigSlick------- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Something I was shown in college when I was suffering from shin splints was a stretching exercise. Its kind of like doing a push-up against the wall while keeping your heels on the floor. This seemed to help me. My shoes were the cause of mine.
    It will make or break you