robefc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robefc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robefc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robefc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robefc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robefc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robefc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robefc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robefc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robefc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robefc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

complex/simple carbs+ pre workout nutrition

Hi everyone,

I'm getting my head in a complete spin researching the above so anyone advice people have would be gratefully appreciated.

I've always used a protein/maltodextrin post workout shake, followed an hour later by a carb/protein meal as overwhelming research suggests the body needs more of and can utilise better both macronutrients at this time.

I've also been reading that having a carb/protein shake half an hour before working out results in better progress as these nutrients are ready to be taken into your muscles as soon as the workout ends.

However, there is a lot of advice advocating using carbs low on the glycemic index prior to working out to avoid blood sugar peaks and valleys and to give a constant source of energy

I thought complex carbs were low on the glycemic index and simple carbs were high but I am now reading that maltodextrin is both a complex carb and high on the glycemic index i.e. it is absorbed fast but provides energy for longer therefore not resulting in higher insulin levels.

so, I'm now thinking maltodextrin is good pre workout because it will fuel the workout (by being absorbed quickly but not leading to a blood sugar 'crash' later) and combined with protein will mean muscles have the nutrient they need post workout quicker than through a post workout shake alone. However is maltodextrin therefore a good source of carbs post workout as an insulin spike is desirable then to draw nutrients into the muscles?

basically I think I now know that simple carbs are burned quickly, complex more slowly but both can either be high or low on the glycemic index which relates to how quickly they're absorbed into the body, not how quickly they're turned into energy?????

so confirmation or correction of that would be great plus your takes on pre and post workout nutrition

cheers

rob (with a headache!)