dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How much time do you take off after a show?

I would love to hear from some of the experienced competitors on how much time they take off before getting back in the gym after a show. I want to make sure I maximize my window for generally the great gains I make right after dieting/prepping for 12 weeks but at the same time want my body to have some time to reciprocate (especially since I am getting reading to start my 'second twenties' as StayFit2008 would say).

Thanks in advance for your comments?

imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Two days after the show I'm in the gym for two week deload before shifting back into offseason training.

Taking long breaks is counterproductive in my opinion.
    Food quality does not change the laws of thermodynamics. Provided you consume adequate protein, EFAs, fiber, and vitamins and minerals you can eat whatever you want.

The only difference between a 'clean' and a 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat.

The Glycemic Index is meaningless unless you eat carbs alone in a fasted state. As soon as you add fat, protein, or fiber to a meal or have eaten in the previous 4-6 hours the GI is irrelevant.

semper27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) semper27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) semper27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) semper27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) semper27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) semper27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) semper27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) semper27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) semper27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) semper27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) semper27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It all depends on how your body is feeling. I'm after it the Monday following the show. Normally the first week is instinctive training/deload type work.
    NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Plan-Execute-DESTROY

-Mediocrity is NOT an Option-

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Although I'm usually fired up and ready to attack the weights on Monday right after my show, I wait untill at least Thursday, which equates to a full week off. But I really try to stay out till the following Monday, thus taking about 10 days off. And 7-10 days is also what I have most of my competitive clients do.

Best,
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I like to easy my way back into it. Usually end up, back in there on Tuesday or Wednesday. Nothing crazy, just go through the motions, deload a bit. None of that 2-3 week off kinda deal.
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    this year, that monday i am coming in and training my ass off for 4 weeks to take advantage of the rebound.. then take a week off and start my full offseason diet/training and plan what i want to do
    MET-Rx/Pure Protein Board Rep

*Disclaimer: The thoughts and opinions of this rep are of his own and does not reflect MET-Rx/Pure Protein as a company. This user is a Bodybuilding.com board representative and is not an employee of MET-Rx/Pure Protein.*

Iron Mulisha Athlete

Bodybuilder For Life! Pure-Natural's Avatar
    Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Usually; on season 6 mos.; off season 6- mos. However, this year I'm doing 2- shows....10 weeks apart.
    "Failure is not an option!"

"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art."

"Every aspect of bodybuilding comes from hard work & dedication."

"The moment you stop striving for excellence is when you realize you have lost your momentum."

"This is our time!"

Train smarter, not harder itsgroll's Avatar
    itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I felt great Monday after my show and that's when I started my training! my strength has sky rocketed each workout since my show (may 2) so why slow down.....
    BS Kinesiology
    MS Exercise Physiology (current)

"Intensity builds immensity" - Kevin Levrone

24 mos. CLEAN BULK...hittin the weights hard and the fridge EVEN harder
    Preparing for Open Overall Champ May 2012
    Preparing for IFPA Pro Card Aug 2012

**Team Norton 2010**

fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just a day or two of rest, and then hitting it hard again. You need to realize that your finally in a really good anabolic phase as the increase of calories are back. So I feel, take advantage of it.
    Joe

IFPA PRO and OCB Promoter

www.TeamFrancoBodyBuilding.com
    www.********.com/TeamFrancoBodybuilding

OCB - Beyond Nutrition Natural
    April 21st 2012 - Burlington, New Jersey
    Bodybuilding, Figure & Bikini

OCB Mid-Atlantic Battle for the Belt, IFPA Pro Qualifier
    August 25th, 2012 - Burlington, New Jersey
    Bodybuilding, Figure & Bikini

stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by fitfranco View Post
    Just a day or two of rest, and then hitting it hard again. You need to realize that your finally in a really good anabolic phase as the increase of calories are back. So I feel, take advantage of it.
    Is there a "Good" writeup explaining the high anabolic window we are in after preparing for a competition,..I find this fascinating and would like to study it more in depth.
    2009 NGA Masters Pro Bodybuilder and Athlete.

"I dont stop when Im tired,..I stop when Im done"

Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by stayfit2008 View Post
    Is there a "Good" writeup explaining the high anabolic window we are in after preparing for a competition,..I find this fascinating and would like to study it more in depth.
    hmmm....layne touched on it somewhere but I can't remember where...but basically the rationale is that you are extrememly sensitive to insulin, and your muscles are hungry for glycogen, and any lost muscle is very ready to come back

FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Quelly View Post
    hmmm....layne touched on it somewhere but I can't remember where...but basically the rationale is that you are extrememly sensitive to insulin, and your muscles are hungry for glycogen, and any lost muscle is very ready to come back
    Great time to make gains, but given the metabolic circumstances you don't need much calorie wise to make them. But of course people thinks its the prime time to just pour it on.

"I am ravenous my metabolism is on FIYAH!"

No bruh it psychological.

dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by FATHER FLEX View Post
    Great time to make gains, but given the metabolic circumstances you don't need much calorie wise to make them. But of course people thinks its the prime time to just pour it on.

"I am ravenous my metabolism is on FIYAH!"

No bruh it psychological.
    I am marking off a few 'bucket list items' now that I am healthy again and planning on doing a half marathon in 3 weeks. So I am back on the cardio. Any concerns I may lose muscle while training for this and miss my window for good gains and a chance to gain back some lost muscle after dieting/training for the last 12 weeks for a show?

Then again, I also like to tell people that the biggest gains I have ever made have been during prolonged off-season. The post contest window is there, but in the long run that is not were most of your gains are going to come from.