Sean24169 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

weight loss for boxing

Hey I am looking to lose a lot of weight, I want to go from around 86 kg to around 70kg or as close as possible. I do not have any real time constraints as i currently canot fight but can train as much as I want. But in losing this weight I do not want to lose any strengh or punching power inm the process. What should I be doing in the gym in addition to my boxing training to make this transformation come as quickly and effectivly as possible. I do not know if losing this weight will be entirly possible but I really want to try. So please could you give me some dieting and workout advice

I have gotten to about 74kg last year but I put a lot on in the offseason.

Thanks, Sean

imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Just continue doing your boxing conditioning workouts. Try to do maybe 3 quality meals a day and in between meals keep your body hydrated with protein shakes, gatorade and fruits. And of course get you a sweat jacket if you don't have one. Try a body cleansing kit, that will definitely help a lot.
    I got bullets like the letter V, they coming after you!

I'm the best, brah. ShoulderRoll's Avatar
    ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by imp4pdabest View Post
    Just continue doing your boxing conditioning workouts. Try to do maybe 3 quality meals a day and in between meals keep your body hydrated with protein shakes, gatorade and fruits. And of course get you a sweat jacket if you don't have one. Try a body cleansing kit, that will definitely help a lot.
    Sweat jacket/sauna suit is pointless. The only reason to use that is to dehydrate before a weigh in, not to lose 10kg

OP just train hard and eat sensibly, and drink a lot of water, and the weight will come off

Run in the mornings (mix it up between slow steady runs and interval sprints) and do your boxing training in the afternoon/evenings

If you only train 3 times a week, then maybe do weights 3 times a week as well

I thought this was gonna be a question about losing weight for a fight, but if you've no time constraints then it's easy as long as you are a disciplined person
    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 12-21-2010 at 04:52 PM.
    "You was better off you'd stayed in the Bronx!"
    "It would've have been better for you too"

gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Run more, jumprope more, diet more. How do you think Bernard Hopkins maintained a 28" waist at his height? He's naturally a pretty big guy! Back in the day guys starved themselves even more, especially the heavies as they wanted to stay light so they had stamina.

Losing weight == diet
    Cardio helps, but unless you are doing 8+ hours a week you can eat more than you take in.

imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imp4pdabest has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    Sweat jacket/sauna suit is pointless. The only reason to use that is to dehydrate before a weigh in, not to lose 10kg

OP just train hard and eat sensibly, and drink a lot of water, and the weight will come off

Run in the mornings (mix it up between slow steady runs and interval sprints) and do your boxing training in the afternoon/evenings

If you only train 3 times a week, then do weights 3 times a week as well

I thought this was gonna be a question about losing weight for a fight, but if you've no time constraints then it's easy as long as you are a disciplined person
    A sweat jacket isn't pointless, it's an item used regularly for boxers looking to shed weight faster. I wasn't really recommending him to use the sweat jacket right now. Sauna's and sweat jackets are really only used at the end of a training camp, which aligns with what you're saying. But there's nothing wrong with him hopping in the sauna for a few minutes or wearing the sweat jacket for a while right now, as long as he doesn't dehydrate himself and doesn't overtrain. If he's only training 3 times a week, I definitely wouldn't recommend weights 3 times a week, 2x at the most.
    I got bullets like the letter V, they coming after you!

I'm the best, brah. ShoulderRoll's Avatar
    ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoulderRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by imp4pdabest View Post
    A sweat jacket isn't pointless, it's an item used regularly for boxers looking to shed weight faster. I wasn't really recommending him to use the sweat jacket right now. Sauna's and sweat jackets are really only used at the end of a training camp, which aligns with what you're saying. But there's nothing wrong with him hopping in the sauna for a few minutes or wearing the sweat jacket for a while right now, as long as he doesn't dehydrate himself and doesn't overtrain. If he's only training 3 times a week, I definitely wouldn't recommend weights 3 times a week, 2x at the most.
    What's the point using sauna/sweat jacket while he's 10kg over his fight weight?

So he can drink a bottle of water and weigh the same as he did before he put the jacket on?

Fighters use them during camp so that they can check where they are with the weight loss and how close they are to being able to dehydrate to a fight-weight and then see if the diet needs adjusting, not to actually speed up the process of weight loss

You're right that there's nothing wrong with it, as in it's not going to do any harm, but I just don't see what good it would do either?
    "You was better off you'd stayed in the Bronx!"
    "It would've have been better for you too"

RawIntimidation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RawIntimidation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RawIntimidation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RawIntimidation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RawIntimidation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RawIntimidation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RawIntimidation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RawIntimidation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RawIntimidation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RawIntimidation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RawIntimidation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    What's the point using sauna/sweat jacket while he's 10kg over his fight weight?

So he can drink a bottle of water and weigh the same as he did before he put the jacket on?

Fighters use them during camp so that they can check where they are with the weight loss and how close they are to being able to dehydrate to a fight-weight and then see if the diet needs adjusting, not to actually speed up the process of weight loss

You're right that there's nothing wrong with it, as in it's not going to do any harm, but I just don't see what good it would do either?
    I agree

Sean24169 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When it comes to running distance should i be doing short or long distance considering stamina isnt the major thing right now and weight loss is. Because last time I cut a big bit of weight I did mainly long distance and ate well but my weight really struggled to come off.

Tunes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tunes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tunes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tunes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tunes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tunes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tunes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tunes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tunes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tunes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tunes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    When I was in training I would keep my runs around 3 miles. In early training camp I'd run it at constant pace. When it got later in training camp I'd start to sprint between the street lights.

The important thing is that you train specific for what you are trying to accomplish. I never had to lose that much weight, but it sounds like you are new to the sport so if you keep training the weight will start coming off by itself if you're eating ok. If you are serious about boxing you don't want to spend too much time in the weight room, you want to keep you r body moving so calisthenics and plyometics are better choices... pushups(and elevated pushups), dips, box jumps, and agility ladder training are all good things to do. As far as boxing training don't ignore the details, keep balance in your training. Rather than just going and pounding the heavybag for an hour to work on power punches, work your technique. After I was warmed up I spent a lot of time shadow boxing. Bust ass when you're in the gym and you'll be ok.

gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Sean24169 View Post
    When it comes to running distance should i be doing short or long distance considering stamina isnt the major thing right now and weight loss is. Because last time I cut a big bit of weight I did mainly long distance and ate well but my weight really struggled to come off.
    don't worry about distance, worry about time. keep it 20-40 minutes. Sprinting between stoplights or every 100 yards is a good way to make runs more interesting.