Strong just got Stronger 7399martyn's Avatar
    7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000)

Deadlift form check.

PR today, 140kg for 5 reps.

i tried to keep my back straight but it always seems to bend a little, is this acceptable?
    and i know i should have held my lockouts longer, i will do this next time.

Powerlifter at PTC Performance Training Centre

661 squat, 385 bench, 705 deadlift, 1752lb total.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVx1ANJc7lc

my name isn't diana Diana Meeque's Avatar
    Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    it looks like you need to use more legs and abs. keep your abs tight the whole time, otherwise your back is going to take a lot of the load.

also, don't look up. pick a spot on the floor like 10 feet in front of you to look at (so you're pretty much looking straight ahead). you dont want your head to be looking straight up, or straight down.
    501, 302, 551; 1354 @ 181
    Hoss' Gym utube: youtube.com/hoss3644
    Mai utube: youtube.com/caa916

JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    try pulling the bar closer to your shins, it looks like your pulled it from over your toes while it should be over the mid foot
    Powerlifting log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172662011&page=1

7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Diana Meeque View Post
    it looks like you need to use more legs and abs. keep your abs tight the whole time, otherwise your back is going to take a lot of the load.

also, don't look up. pick a spot on the floor like 10 feet in front of you to look at (so you're pretty much looking straight ahead). you dont want your head to be looking straight up, or straight down.
    i dont think so much leg, i was pushing off the ground as hard as i could, i think i need to keep my abs tight. ill fix my head position now, ill look straight as opposed to up.

Originally Posted by JiP View Post
    try pulling the bar closer to your shins, it looks like your pulled it from over your toes while it should be over the mid foot
    ill make sure of this, thanks.

hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by 7399martyn View Post
    PR today, 140kg for 5 reps.

i tried to keep my back straight but it always seems to bend a little, is this acceptable?
    and i know i should have held my lockouts longer, i will do this next time.

mate ur workin towards a bad back.. too much weight first of all. look at urself in the mirror the whole time, look into ur eyes the whole time! keep it 1 smooth movement too, dont let the bar bang on the floor so that you dont lose the contraction on ur back n might help stop that horrible bend u have just before u pick it up again.
    oh and dont lock out at the top either, thats the old school way, it transfers all the weight to ur lower spine (not good) ur back should not bend at ANY point during a deadlift set

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks pretty good OP, like Dynamic said, keep your head neutral. You're using a high hipped style which is fine. No need to hold at lockout.

And ignore this post VVV

Originally Posted by hllrza View Post
    mate ur workin towards a bad back.. too much weight first of all. look at urself in the mirror the whole time, look into ur eyes the whole time! keep it 1 smooth movement too, dont let the bar bang on the floor so that you dont lose the contraction on ur back n might help stop that horrible bend u have just before u pick it up again.
    oh and dont lock out at the top either, thats the old school way, it transfers all the weight to ur lower spine (not good) ur back should not bend at ANY point during a deadlift set
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

Originally Posted by Kiknskreem View Post
    Looks pretty good OP, like Dynamic said, keep your head neutral. You're using a high hipped style which is fine. No need to hold at lockout.

And ignore this post VVV
    thanks bro, i've seen you post in the powerlifting section, you know your stuff.
    your deadlift vid really helped me.

ill keep my head at a comfortable position next time.

ill see if lowering my hips makes for a better deadlift. if not ill stick to my style and focus on keeping my abs tight and back more straight.

hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hllrza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

And ignore this post VVV
    i'll admit ur deadlift looks a lot better than most. but explain the rest at the bottom of the set? if ur using deadlifts for building muscle (not powerlifting), core strength and so on.. why release the tension off the back?

MrMuscleGuy is just really nice. (+1000) MrMuscleGuy is just really nice. (+1000) MrMuscleGuy is just really nice. (+1000) MrMuscleGuy is just really nice. (+1000) MrMuscleGuy is just really nice. (+1000) MrMuscleGuy is just really nice. (+1000) MrMuscleGuy is just really nice. (+1000) MrMuscleGuy is just really nice. (+1000) MrMuscleGuy is just really nice. (+1000) MrMuscleGuy is just really nice. (+1000) MrMuscleGuy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Whew, I was getting a little concerned there for a bit because a couple of things you said not to do are the things that I do, do. Been deadlifting heavy for a while now and no injuries whatsoever.

I think I could see where you're coming from if you're referring to the bodybuilding way of deadlifting rather than the powerlifting whey.
    Last edited by MrMuscleGuy; 05-07-2009 at 07:30 AM.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The problems I have with your post are 1, looking in the mirror 2, nothing wrong with the bar coming down hard, 3, I don't see any "horrible bend" in his back, and lastly, since when is locking out the "old school" way of deadlifting? If its not locked out its no lift.

i'll admit ur deadlift looks a lot better than most. but explain the rest at the bottom of the set? if ur using deadlifts for building muscle (not powerlifting), core strength and so on.. why release the tension off the back?
    Well, this is the Powerlifting video section. Deloading makes it easier to maintain proper form and is generally better for strength training purposes.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

The problems I have with your post are 1, looking in the mirror 2, nothing wrong with the bar coming down hard, 3, I don't see any "horrible bend" in his back, and lastly, since when is locking out the "old school" way of deadlifting? If its not locked out its no lift.

Well, this is the Powerlifting video section. Deloading makes it easier to maintain proper form and is generally better for strength training purposes.
    ok.. for powerlifting i can understand why u would do it the way that u do. but for body building, as i said.. i use deadlifts to build muscle, n for me, dropping the bar and locking out at the top defeats the purpose.
    a couple of times as he started lifting, even mid way his back wasn't fully straight. thats y i suggested to back off the weight

R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution 19george's Avatar
    19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 19george is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    wut?

EDIT: didn't see your reply. Forum issues I guess. This is the pl section, so why give bbing advice? His back wasn't rounded too bad, no reason to back off the weight. Almost no one retains a perfectly straight back on a max effort set.
    Last edited by 19george; 05-07-2009 at 07:57 AM.
    Repay no evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. - Romans 12:17

Originally Posted by 19george View Post
    wut?

EDIT: didn't see your reply. Forum issues I guess. This is the pl section, so why give bbing advice? His back wasn't rounded too bad, no reason to back off the weight. Almost no one retains a perfectly straight back on a max effort set.
    my apologies, didnt realise it was pl section

LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    good lift. kiks advice was good, nothing wrong with high hips on deads

the one problem i saw, and its hard to tell bc we cant see your feet, is how faar the bar is from your shins. it needs to be over the middle of your foot and in contact with your shins

make sure to keep that bar close to your body
    Best Raw USAPL Competition Lifts
    S - 415
    B - 315
    D - 540
    Total - 1245

Training Log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153130001&p=1052251991#post1052251991

thanks guys, at first i was worried abotu hllrza post, i thought i was doing it wrong lol.

Originally Posted by LSU1 View Post
    good lift. kiks advice was good, nothing wrong with high hips on deads

the one problem i saw, and its hard to tell bc we cant see your feet, is how faar the bar is from your shins. it needs to be over the middle of your foot and in contact with your shins

make sure to keep that bar close to your body
    thanks, i already knew the abr was suppose to be in the middle of the foot and travel along the legs. ill make sure of this next time.

TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000)
    when was locking out bad for your lower spine?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119333531

i rep those who post in my log often