johnmaha31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnmaha31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnmaha31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnmaha31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnmaha31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnmaha31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnmaha31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnmaha31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnmaha31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How many days per week do you squat?

I was just wondering what you guys thought on squatting frequency. And wanted to start a thread for some hopefully at least semi-intelligent discussion on training programs. I know of a lot of guys are doing WS4SB which is 1 day (maybe 0 if ME DL's). And that works no question. Many also do Rip's Starting Strength which is 3 days of squatting. And that is a good program too. I have actually had success with both. I was wondering if you all think one is better for a certain type of athlete.

For example I don't really have proof to this theory, and I am sure a complete noob can make gains off WS4SB. I feel like Starting Strength would be better for a complete noob then he could go to WS4SB after like a month or two.

And a follow up question, with all the variations in Defranco's WestSide Template, would there ever be a reason to go back to something more like Rip's?
    Last edited by johnmaha31; 05-05-2009 at 08:59 PM.

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by johnmaha31 View Post
    I was just wondering what you guys thought on squatting frequency. And wanted to start a thread for some hopefully at least semi-intelligent discussion on training programs. I know of a lot of guys are doing WS4SB which is 1 day. And that works no question. Many also do Rip's Starting Strength which is 3 days of squatting. And that is a good program too. I have actually had success with both. I was wondering if you all think one is better for a certain type of athlete.

For example I don't really have proof to this theory, and I am sure a complete noob can make gains off WS4SB. I feel like Starting Strength would be better for a complete noob then he could go to WS4SB after like a month or two.

And a follow up question, with all the variations in Defranco's WestSide Template, would there ever be a reason to good back to something more like Rip's?
    two

bringingheat14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bringingheat14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bringingheat14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bringingheat14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bringingheat14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bringingheat14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bringingheat14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    My routine:
    Day 1-Back/bi/Abs
    Day 2-Shoulder/Cardio
    Day 3-Legs/shoulder/Abs
    Day 4- OFF
    Day 5-Back/Bi/Cardio
    Day 6- Chest/Tri/Abs
    Day 7- Legs/Shoulder/Cardio

I Could go into the different workouts I do for different days but that would take WAY too long and I type at a snails pace. Its good to add new exercises to keep your muscles guessing to gain more faster. I will sometimes even do my workout completely backwards. Hope this helps!

bringingheat14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bringingheat14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bringingheat14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bringingheat14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bringingheat14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bringingheat14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bringingheat14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Leg workout:
    Squat:
    185x12
    225x10
    245x8
    285x6

Dead Lift:
    185x12
    225x10
    245x10
    265x8

Leg Press
    3 plates each side x15
    4 plates each side x12
    5 plates each side x10
    6 plates each side x8

Leg extensions:
    Warm up 165x15
    120 lbs Burnout (you will barely be able to walk after)

Leg Curls:
    105 lbs warm up
    50 lbs burnout (Brutal)

Calf Raises:
    170x20
    190x20
    210x15
    230x15

Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I squat once a week.
    Owner @ Gymless Fitness: http://gymlessfit.com

squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000)
    Right now during outdoor track season just once.
    During the fall do 3 times per week.
    During winter 2 times.

ElWilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ElWilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ElWilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ElWilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ElWilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ElWilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ElWilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ElWilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ElWilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ElWilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ElWilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Bill Starrs 5x5 for me
    3 times

Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Twice a Month....if that.

dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I do some variation of squat (front, Bulgarian, etc) three times a week
    http://voidempathy.blogspot.com/
    It has words and stuff

Rugger w/ a throwing prob xxtwistedxx's Avatar
    xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    right now none. knees all jacked up and still waitin on MRI results.

during the fall it was 3 (back, front, single) during season its two days (back front) near end of season its either 1 or 2 (band squat, single) then (low rep 80% back)

That's how you get ants. BobisMighty's Avatar
    BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    twice a week. i follow up my squats with either good mornings or glute ham raises
    MISC STRENGTH CREW

Rugby training log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125605233

World Rugby S&C Level 1 coach.

IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I squat every other day.

Location: edinburgh, scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    if i could id do them everyday.....

in season usually squat and dead once a week but if i'm on bill stars sometimes twice a week and no deads

off season-usualy some form of squats every session so up to 4

this month ill be doing squats(heavy) mondays and deads(heavy) wed with squat jumps(medium).

IMO you should be squating at least once a week most important lift for sports IMO
    people ask me how to train, and i answer "i look at what you do and then i do the exact oposite"

if your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day

dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500)
    once a week and other leg day all jumps and sled running and sprints

titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    everyday 2-3 times a day when i can.

15 sets of adding weight everytime to a max out of 400

BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigTwoThree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bringingheat14 View Post
    My routine:
    Day 1-Back/bi/Abs
    Day 2-Shoulder/Cardio
    Day 3-Legs/shoulder/Abs
    Day 4- OFF
    Day 5-Back/Bi/Cardio
    Day 6- Chest/Tri/Abs
    Day 7- Legs/Shoulder/Cardio

I Could go into the different workouts I do for different days but that would take WAY too long and I type at a snails pace. Its good to add new exercises to keep your muscles guessing to gain more faster. I will sometimes even do my workout completely backwards. Hope this helps!
    This is a bodybuilding workout. No offense but I do not feel this will help an athlete. Right now I am doing Defrancos template. Well my version of it. Just tweaked it a bit. But at the moment I am doing one lower body day, and it is working wonders for me. In about a month I have added 15-20 pounds on to my squat.

A_Masc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A_Masc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by johnmaha31 View Post
    I was just wondering what you guys thought on squatting frequency. And wanted to start a thread for some hopefully at least semi-intelligent discussion on training programs. I know of a lot of guys are doing WS4SB which is 1 day (maybe 0 if ME DL's). And that works no question. Many also do Rip's Starting Strength which is 3 days of squatting. And that is a good program too. I have actually had success with both. I was wondering if you all think one is better for a certain type of athlete.

And a follow up question, with all the variations in Defranco's WestSide Template, would there ever be a reason to go back to something more like Rip's?
    I squat once per week because i do 2 other plyometric workouts in addition per week where i need my legs to be fresh to benefit from them. Defrancos template is set-up for athletes trying to also improve their speed and explosiveness as well as leg strength. Rip's starting strength is more for increasing just the squat and not speed and explosiveness, which the dynamic day in WS4SB is made to improve. I am not sure if the greater frequeny in squats per week increases leg strength more than the WS4SB once per week does (it may, but i just have no trial evidence to compare) but it would most likely not be possible to squat 3 times per week and still be able to implement plyometric type drills to aid in reactive and/or explosive strength. the athlete would most likely burnout from overtraining and would not benefit much from it, so i would say the two programs are for two seperate types of athletes trying to reach different goals.
    Last edited by A_Masc; 05-14-2009 at 06:07 PM.

sohard88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sohard88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sohard88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sohard88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sohard88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sohard88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sohard88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sohard88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sohard88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sohard88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sohard88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    right now 4, Im doing Smolov Jr I've done it before and it works great. but normally 2x a week after I do light plyos.

DE_58 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DE_58 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DE_58 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DE_58 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DE_58 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DE_58 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DE_58 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DE_58 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DE_58 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DE_58 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DE_58 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Madcow's 5x5, 3x with one lighter day.