tab25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tab25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tab25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tab25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tab25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

How do you know how much you are bench pressing?

Hey Everyone,
    I am new to the world of weightlifting and had a quick question. And forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I can't tell how much I am bench pressing.

If I place 1 45 pound plate on either side of the bar am I just lifting 45 pounds, Or am I lifting 45 pounds plus the weight of the bar and how much to the bars weigh? The equipment at my gym is all StarTrac brand, and they have the StarTrac Max Rack systems for benching, squats, etc.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

I'm known by other names IamJonsCranium's Avatar
    IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The bar usually weighs 45 lbs. you include all the weight so with a 45 on each side and the bar you are lifting 135.

Sometimes the bar will weigh 20lbs, but I've never seen that in a gym.

tab25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tab25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tab25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tab25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tab25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by IamJonsCranium View Post
    The bar usually weighs 45 lbs. you include all the weight so with a 45 on each side and the bar you are lifting 135.

Sometimes the bar will weigh 20lbs, but I've never seen that in a gym.
    Alright, Thanks for the info!

I'm known by other names IamJonsCranium's Avatar
    IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    http://www.startracusa.com/ps-14-2-max-rack.aspx

Oh, don't use that. Don't bench on smith machine like that, you'll ruin your muscles. If you don't have a normal bench or don't want to do free barbell bench because you have no spotter, use dubbells.

If you use those for a while, one day you'll go to do real bench and won't be able to hold up the bar, because your stabalizer muscles will be too weak.

Oh ok, thanks for the heads up. I'll go to dumbbells then. I had no idea!

Complicated has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Complicated has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Complicated has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Complicated has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Complicated has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Complicated has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Complicated has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Complicated has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Complicated has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Complicated has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Complicated has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    smith machines are zeroed in.If you have 45 on each side then that is only 90.free weights aren't.A gym bar usually weights 45 lbs.The ones most people have at home(the crappy ones) are 15 lbs