SparkanBurn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Should I lose weight before I try to build muscle?

Hi I am new here.. I am fairly athletic I play roller derby 2 days a week and like to take the dogs out for ajog here and there.. I do mud run obstacle races... I am however overweight at 143 pounds at 5'3...I am just starting lifting weights.. should I worry more about losing weight first or focusing on building muscle.. I just started the Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer... and I am starting to eat more lean protein and veggies over starchy carbs.. Just looking for some advice on nutrtion and calories and such..Thanks

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lift heavy, full body, all compounds 3 x per week. Look into Starting Strength or other similar program. Whatever you go with, you should primarily be doing squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, chin-ups, lat pulldowns, rows.

Eat in a deficit at this point. Shoot to lose around 1/2 - 1 lb per week. Eat at least 120g protein and 50g fat, the rest in carbs.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

thanks for the info

VernitaR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VernitaR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VernitaR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VernitaR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VernitaR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VernitaR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VernitaR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VernitaR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VernitaR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VernitaR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VernitaR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lifting weights and building muscle will burn fat faster than anything else you can do (safely). You may feel like you look bigger at first but be patient, lots of water, regular cardio and safely, steadily lift. No or little breaks between sets, build up your weights. As Oregon Chick says below, the standards are best, hit your required protein and MUFA fats. If you are keeping true to lean proteins and good for you fats, you should be able to keep the calorie deficit easily. Non-processed foods, fresher the better, cut, cut, cut the sugars. DId I say lots of water? Lots of water. You'll feel great, which is such an incentive!

superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by VernitaR View Post
    Lifting weights and building muscle will burn fat faster than anything else you can do (safely). You may feel like you look bigger at first but be patient, lots of water, regular cardio and safely, steadily lift. No or little breaks between sets, build up your weights. As Oregon Chick says below, the standards are best, hit your required protein and MUFA fats. If you are keeping true to lean proteins and good for you fats, you should be able to keep the calorie deficit easily. Non-processed foods, fresher the better, cut, cut, cut the sugars. DId I say lots of water? Lots of water. You'll feel great, which is such an incentive!

Cardio is optional for fat loss- if you're eating in a calorie deficit, you'll lose the weight whether you do cardio or not.

It doesn't matter what you eat as long as you hit your macros and are in a calorie deficit. There's nothing wrong with sugar, and sometimes processed foods are hella convenient. Like um, whey protein? Kinda "heavily processed junk" that lots of us use pretty frequently.

Water doesn't have anything to do with fat loss, except if you stop drinking it, you'll die and that'd probably hinder your progress.
    Someone once told me the definition of hell- Your last day on earth, the person you become meets the person you could have become.

~My Lifting Diary~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158933283

Thanks for all the advice... I am trying hard to not binge eat....

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SparkanBurn View Post
    What helps is going with a deficit that is sustainable and maintainable and incorporating foods you really enjoy. It doesn't have to be miserable.

I am working on it... Moderation is key for sure... thanks guys and ladies

Creaso is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Creaso is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Creaso is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Creaso is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Creaso is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Creaso is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Creaso is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Creaso is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Creaso is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Creaso is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Creaso is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    Lift heavy, full body, all compounds 3 x per week. Look into Starting Strength or other similar program. Whatever you go with, you should primarily be doing squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, chin-ups, lat pulldowns, rows.

Eat in a deficit at this point. Shoot to lose around 1/2 - 1 lb per week. Eat at least 120g protein and 50g fat, the rest in carbs.
    Lol at ur sig. Have you ever lifted a bending bar?

superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Creaso View Post
    Lol at ur sig. Have you ever lifted a bending bar?
    I too take humorous quotes in 100% srsness.

Big misc is over yonder.
    Someone once told me the definition of hell- Your last day on earth, the person you become meets the person you could have become.

~My Lifting Diary~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158933283

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by VernitaR View Post
    Lifting weights doesn't burn fat faster than anything else - losing fat is 100% about a calorie deficit.

Originally Posted by SparkanBurn View Post
    How many calories are you eating? You should aim to lose 1/2 - 1 lb per week. Any faster than that and yeah, you're gonna feel super hungry.

1300 on lift days.. 1400 on lift days with roller derby practice..
    Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    How many calories are you eating? You should aim to lose 1/2 - 1 lb per week. Any faster than that and yeah, you're gonna feel super hungry.

ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I personally run a Keto diet while cutting. It really does help me control my desire to eat a whole bag of Doritos and a container of ice cream. I know it isn't for everyone but I find I can stay on top of things better while in Keto...rarely get hungery and cravings are no where no as bad. Something to look into.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ccmarks View Post
    I personally run a Keto diet while cutting. It really does help me control my desire to eat a whole bag of Doritos and a container of ice cream. I know it isn't for everyone but I find I can stay on top of things better while in Keto...rarely get hungery and cravings are no where no as bad. Something to look into.
    Keto wouldn't be a good option for the OP. She needs carbs...they're an important fuel for her style of training.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)