KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000)

Power Clean V Full Clean For Sports

I have been thinking lately both about the way that I train myself and the way that I train my teenaged athletes. Specifically about the way we use cleans and power clean (and to a lesser extent snatch and power snatch).

Overwhelmingly athletes tend to use the power versions of the olympic lifts and leave the full versions to the weightlifters. It is argued by some that the full versions are too much effort to learn and that the power versions are just if not more useful.
    Lately though I'm not convinced of this reasoning. To begin with I believe that the fron squat is an exceptional movement for a great many sports, and every full clean contains a front squat.
    Secondly the theory with regard to the power clean is that because you have to move the weight further you have to move faster (P = F.d/t, if you inrease distance you must reduce time). However no one power cleans as much as they full clean, so you are also reducing the force required. An increase in distance multiplied by a decrease in force will require little if any change in time to produce the same power output.

So are the power versions of olympic lifts actually more powerful? I'd argue no, but haven't actually done the math to prove it. Do they involve more speed? Yes but not dramatically.
    I'm not a fan of the "too hard to teach" camp either. People say this about the snatch, using the clean in training but not the snatch. I don't believe that the full versions of the lifts are hard to learn, nor that the snatch is hard to learn if you have a decent coach. I also think that if you start by learning the full versions you pick them up much faster than if you start by learning the power versions. Those that onlydo the power versions tend to only worry about moving fast, where as those that do the full versions tend to just get the movement down and naturally move faster as the weight increases.

What are your experiences? Does anyone use the clean and jerk for their sports training?

titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I disagree. I have been olympic lifting for 3 years now and I can power clean more than I can full clean.

Currently- 300lb power clean 245lb full clean/jerk

I will tell you what 1 rep of clean is jerk is harder than 3-4 reps of power cleans. The clean and jerk is sooo hard to teach, its really not worth the time it takes. I love it though, ever since my clean/jerk has increased so has my vertical and speed. If your athletes have plenty of time on their hands and you do too TEACH THEM!
    Last edited by titdoctor; 05-02-2009 at 07:11 PM.

studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's worth to do all forms of the lift to allow adaption/recovery.

During the course of a year we do:

Clean from floor
    scoop clean (start position at shins)
    scoop clean (start position below knee)
    scoop clean (start position above knee)
    Clean pulls (no catch)
    Scoop clean pulls above (no catch)

Clean from floor to jerk (either every rep or every odd rep is a jerk)

Push press
    split jerks
    behind the knee jerks

snatches Db snatches and all their variations...

etc.

We do all the lifts depending on time of year. Yes they take time to learn but the athlete can benefit from these lifts greatly. Just thinking hard and focusing on the movement will develop the athlete not only physically but mentally. IT's a hard coordinated movement but well worth the trouble.

Each lift emphasises different ranges of motion/power out put. But power out put is highest consistantly at the 2nd pull throughout all the range of motions. The difference is pulling from the ground using fuel/energy which makes the entire lift more fatiguing.

Kalnas
    www.jerseytrashclothing.com
    www.strengthathletes.com

"Preperation predicts outcome" -Jon Kalnas

IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by titdoctor View Post
    I disagree. I have been olympic lifting for 3 years now and I can power clean more than I can full clean.

Currently- 300lb power clean 245lb full clean/jerk

I will tell you what 1 rep of clean is jerk is harder than 3-4 reps of power cleans. The clean and jerk is sooo hard to teach, its really not worth the time it takes. I love it though, ever since my clean/jerk has increased so has my vertical and speed. If your athletes have plenty of time on their hands and you do too TEACH THEM!
    you mean you c+j less than you power clean? if youve been lifting 3 years you should definitely be able to clean more than you power clean.

how much do you weigh? do you compete? how much do you snatch
    Dude your sig is so cool. - xl achilles lx

Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118731061

titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by IGF-WON View Post
    you mean you c+j less than you power clean? if youve been lifting 3 years you should definitely be able to clean more than you power clean.

how much do you weigh? do you compete? how much do you snatch

Snatch is 185/power snatch is 205. My current weight is 225lbs.

I can't catch the bar with that much weight that low, I do not know why. ITS HARD! Lack of shoulder flexibility maybe. I do it mostly for performance and fun. Bench presses are just not any fun after having a couple of clean and jerk sessions. xD
    Last edited by titdoctor; 05-03-2009 at 06:18 AM.

KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for the replies. Titdoctor- Are you getting down fast enough and keeping your arch?

Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    lol whats the difference b/w full/power clean??

dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Infinitus Vox View Post
    lol whats the difference b/w full/power clean??

power first, full second
    http://voidempathy.blogspot.com/
    It has words and stuff