Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Diet for lacto vegetarian

Hello, folks. I've been lurking on this forum for a while now. I've been rather impressed (and at times intimidated) by what some folks here have accomplished.

I have a question on diet that I've been facing for some time now.

I'm 5'6, 148 lb with about 18% body fat. While I'm quite average, I do have a gut. I've been doing regular cardio as well as weights, and trying to get into a caloric deficit so that I could bring down my body fat percentage to something a little more to my liking.

That said, I also do not want to let my muscles die -- I've rather good biceps, and calves (I'm a climber). I'm a vegetarian, and I watch what I eat very strictly -- unfortunately, I also travel a lot, so sometimes I do not get enough of the right things.

So, in terms of protein, my primary source has been whey (and some beans, occasional serving of cottage cheese, tofu and things like tempeh).

I'm allergic to eggs, and I do not eat meat due to ethical reasons. As a result, I'm severely limited in what I could consume to ensure that my body's protein needs are met.

So, am I getting the right kind of protein that my body needs? I can provide the quantity, but I am concerned that I may not be getting the right kind.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Metlin View Post
    Hello, folks. I've been lurking on this forum for a while now. I've been rather impressed (and at times intimidated) by what some folks here have accomplished.

I have a question on diet that I've been facing for some time now.

I'm 5'6, 148 lb with about 18% body fat. While I'm quite average, I do have a gut. I've been doing regular cardio as well as weights, and trying to get into a caloric deficit so that I could bring down my body fat percentage to something a little more to my liking.

That said, I also do not want to let my muscles die -- I've rather good biceps, and calves (I'm a climber). I'm a vegetarian, and I watch what I eat very strictly -- unfortunately, I also travel a lot, so sometimes I do not get enough of the right things.

So, in terms of protein, my primary source has been whey (and some beans, occasional serving of cottage cheese, tofu and things like tempeh).

I'm allergic to eggs, and I do not eat meat due to ethical reasons. As a result, I'm severely limited in what I could consume to ensure that my body's protein needs are met.

So, am I getting the right kind of protein that my body needs? I can provide the quantity, but I am concerned that I may not be getting the right kind.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    As long as your getting enough whole proteins your fine.

The mixture of beans and rice is considered whole. Whole just means it?s a complete protein with the full amino blend. Im sure someone will elaborate. I dont want to give any false info so ill save the elaboration until I learn more.
    "Fear is the mother of failure. You only live once act like it.."

"The only fear you have is that with-in your mind"

"I have gone way to far to ever give up..... Either keep up or watch me grow"

eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sounds like your goal is modest, with that said your intake does not have to be high. From the sound of it alongside with the whey, you have a diverse selection of protein sources.

I don't believe there is concern with eating whey heavily as your main protein source. The amino acid profile should be adequate. I am sure some brands (by the way they process ) may be better than others, so if an amino acid breakdown is available for your chosen brand, great. If not, unless you start to waste away ;-) I wouldn't be overly concerned.

At a glance I would assume you have your bases covered. Though will add personally prefer mixing a couple proteins in my shakes, currently 1/2 solae soy isolate and 1/2 biochem whey, but thats just me.
    Last edited by eddiebo; 05-02-2009 at 12:32 AM.

Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metlin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by NDMarts View Post
    As long as your getting enough whole proteins your fine.

The mixture of beans and rice is considered whole. Whole just means it?s a complete protein with the full amino blend. Im sure someone will elaborate. I dont want to give any false info so ill save the elaboration until I learn more.
    That's good to know! What about lentils? Would rice + beans + lentils (in the right proportions, of course) be a good mix?

I usually do them in the ratio of 1:3:2 (1 cup rice, 3 cups beans and 2 cups lentils).
    Last edited by Metlin; 05-02-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Originally Posted by eddiebo View Post
    Sounds like your goal is modest, with that said your intake does not have to be high. From the sound of it alongside with the whey, you have a diverse selection of protein sources.

I don't believe there is concern with eating whey heavily as your main protein source. The amino acid profile should be adequate. I am sure some brands (by the way they process ) may be better than others, so if an amino acid breakdown is available for your chosen brand, great. If not, unless you start to waste away ;-) I wouldn't be overly concerned.

At a glance I would assume you have your bases covered. Though will add personally prefer mixing a couple proteins in my shakes, currently 1/2 solae soy isolate and 1/2 biochem whey, but thats just me.
    Yes, I figured I'd start with modest goals -- it is easier to bring down my body fat to 15%, and from there to 12% or lower. It also makes it easier for me to be less disillusioned if my dieting/workout plan does not work out! Also, my goals are slightly long term, so I am in no hurry to get in shape. I just want to be healthy and improve my strength and stamina.

I pretty much use the GNC 100% Whey Protein -- is that adequate for my protein needs, combined with beans, lentils, tofu etc?

Also, what is the difference between the Solae and the Biochem ones? I wouldn't mind using a different type -- I've been using GNC simply out of convenience (i.e. their packs are easy to carry when I travel). But if they are not adequate, I would be more than happy to mix and match!