Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    yol_rosa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bodybuilders with Diabetes

Hello,

I am a 38 years old female training and considering the possibiltiy of starting to compete in Fitness and body Figure, but at the moment and I am looking for any type of advice from possibles bodybuilders with Diabetes type I if there is any one available through any of the Bodybuilders forums.
    Yol

fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50) fbodychick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by yol_rosa View Post
    Hello,

I am a 38 years old female training and considering the possibiltiy of starting to compete in Fitness and body Figure, but at the moment and I am looking for any type of advice from possibles bodybuilders with Diabetes type I if there is any one available through any of the Bodybuilders forums.
    I'm a type one diabetic and would love for someone to share this information as well.

Registered User iKoniConSciencE's Avatar
    iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey there!

I've noticed there are actually quite a few of us. Perhaps we can start a support network? *LOL*

I can offer *some* advice, as I've learned so much through trial and error. Tomorrow will be 16 weeks out from my first competition, which I am very excited (AND NERVOUS) about. I'm going to start journaling my food and exercise regimen every day and hopefully it will help someone eventually (and if not, it will help ME stay focused).

The basics:
    Make sure you are not "feeding" your insulin by taking more than you need, getting repeated lows, and treating them. This will really hinder your progress. While it sounds insanely obvious, it's a mistake type 1 diabetics frequently make (self included). Before working out, make sure your blood sugar is higher than you would normally strive for because an intense workout can knock the sugar down quickly. I've found eating something with complex carbs in it pre-workout has worked well for me.

As for contest prep diet, here's what I'm doing: high protein/low to moderate fat/low to moderate carbs with limited to no refined sugar. Lots of people without diabetes do the same thing. Your contest prep diet doesn't have to be any different.

Of course, no two bodies are alike and what may work for one person may not work for another.

devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm also a type one ...not female tho...obviously
    Originally Posted by iKoniConSciencE View Post
    Hey th
    Make sure you are not "feeding" your insulin by taking more than you need, getting repeated lows, and treating them. This will really hinder your progress. While it sounds insanely obvious, it's a mistake type 1 diabetics frequently make (self included). Before working out, make sure your blood sugar is higher than you would normally strive for because an intense workout can knock the sugar down quickly. I've found eating something with complex carbs in it pre-workout has worked well for me.

As for contest prep diet, here's what I'm doing: high protein/low to moderate fat/low to moderate carbs with limited to no refined sugar. Lots of people without diabetes do the same thing. Your contest prep diet doesn't have to be any different.

Of course, no two bodies are alike and what may work for one person may not work for another.
    That is some good advice right thur^^
    You'll also find that the longer you diet the most sensitive you are to insulin, so you'll have to watch out for that insulin "overfeeding"

I could write a book on all the things I would personally recommend for diabetics trying to bodybuild but the main thing is (which applys to all T1Ds) is to be meticulous with blood sugar control. Of course we know that when blood glucose goes low, not only are we crazy hungry but we NEED to consume carbs, which just adds more calories to our diets. And when BS levels are too high, our workouts suck, and when the workouts suck= less overload on muscle etc, goodbye muscle..
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111082701

"Whether you believe you can, or believe you can't, You're right."

sherri711 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey there!

I've noticed there are actually quite a few of us. Perhaps we can start a support network? *LOL*

I can offer *some* advice, as I've learned so much through trial and error. Tomorrow will be 16 weeks out from my first competition, which I am very excited (AND NERVOUS) about. I'm going to start journaling my food and exercise regimen every day and hopefully it will help someone eventually (and if not, it will help ME stay focused).

The basics:

I would love to talk with you more about this. I have been looking for someone for so long that understands how a Type 1 diabetics body operates (with regards to processing food and storing fat) and them also bodybuilding. I believe we operate differently, and what works for other bodybuilders doesn't work for us.

I have a lot of muscle, but I just can't shed the extra layer of fat (15 lbs.) I wish I knew how to change my diet to get lean. I eat extremely healthy, low fat, low carbs, high protein, only whole grains and lots of vegetables.

I'm just so frustrated because I'm so disciplined and still can't get where I want to be.

Sherri

bck2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

body building for t1 diabetics

Hi guys,
    I actually joined this site so I could keep track of this post. I have had type 1 diabetes since 1991 and this is the first time I have seen a post like this. I am interested in learning how supplements and the bodybuilding lifestyle affects diabetes. I know we are different than non diabetics but I am often confused by "eat lots of protein" and "too much protein is hard on the kidneys" , especially for diabetics. Where is the line.

Keep the post coming - very interesting subject.

ErinLeigh81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I hear your pain!!

I feel soooo the same!! I train with a trainer 5x a week and eat super clean 6 meals a day with good blends of protein/carbs/fat..I am a gm of a gym and have been in this envoronment for years and stilllll cant get back to my pre-diabetic weight/frame. I was 130 lbs before Type 1 and am now 175ish..def have more muscle than before but have extra bodyfat, mostly in my core that wont leave...

Have you found anything interesting lately that has been working for you?

Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^^^ Do you find that your blood sugar seems to be running low all the time?
    My GreenMag/White Flood log and general journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123644451

Flyers01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi I am also type 1 on the Medtronic pump with Glucose Montior sensor.
    Before the sensor I had lots of lows during workout however not anymore I can look at my sugars every 2 minutes if I choice with a hit of a button.
    I also eat 30 minutes before workout and due Daul Wave Bolus so insulin is delivered over a period of 1hr 1/2
    I would recommend the sensor 100% I had to fight my Blue cross for 1 year to get it approved.

I will look forward to reading this thread since I also have a hard time keeping my BF below 9%.
    I figure I store some fat due to diabetes.
    I struggle on a night snack cause I need something to last until mourning so I eat a sandwich.
    Also notice better sugar levels when I drink more water
    I would love to see some diet that you guys follow to keep regular sugar levels..
    Last edited by Flyers01; 05-22-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Brianyost24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Im type 1 diabetic also and due to a serious motorcyle accident i am not able to go to the gym atleast right now im not... my question for everyone i do you know of a good balanced diet or even your own diet thats from 1800-2200 cal or so.. im trying to get my diet in order and do calestetics at home for now.. any help would be greatlyyyy appreciated!!! btw does anyone know of a low carb protein bar or shake to make? thanks!!

angp28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey there!

The basics:

I am 28 and have had type 1 diabetes for 26 years. A lot of what you said is the same for me. I was just curious....for your contest prep diet would you mind writing out a complete menu for a day so I can see what it looks like. I want to fine tune my eating and new ideas would be great!

siedav has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) siedav has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) siedav has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) siedav has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) siedav has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) siedav has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hello Fellow Diabetics

Hi everyone. I'm 29 and have been diabetic for 21 years. Although I've never actually competed (although I'm going to try and do a show this spring) I have done some fat loss contests at my gym which required me to get my body fat as low as 3-5%.

I think most of the success I had was a lot of trial and error. I take a lot of supplements that I truly believe help my insulin sensitivity, like cinnamon and ALA. It's true like someone else said that when you start to really shed the weight, your insulin sensitivity goes WAY up. When I was 4% BF I was taking <20units/day.

The biggest thing I've found to help lose weight it to cut down on the carbs. Any of the diets you hear other people talking about in these forums should be good for us too. The main thing is limiting the amount of insulin spikes you have with meals to help prevent fat storage. I'd be happy to help anyone with questions in any way I'm able!
    I love yams...I think I could eat them all day.

*Any medical advice received is merely my opinion. If you have any questions regarding medical problems, please consult with your doctor.*

Killuhdrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Killuhdrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Killuhdrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    registered just to post in this thread as well,
    im 18. ive been a diabetic for about 10 years, always played a sport or participated in a physical activity; basket ball in elementary days, competitive paintball (blow up bunkers not in the woods) and skateboarding for middle school days,first two years of highschool i started cycling and was sponsored by team type 1. Now in my last year of high school ive started to take the gym seriously. Ive been weight lifting for 2 years now and ive always loved the release of endorphins after a work out no matter what type of work out, ive lost 20 pounds of fat and gained 20 pounds of muscle.

Now im taking my training to a higher level(starting my first bulking phase, ive always tried to gain lean body mass but now i want to get stronger and then cut it down) Ive just started taking creatine and casein but since i started my bloodsugars have been running a little high and having a ketone affect (hard to bring it down/ excessive amounts of insulin in order to bring it down) im just hoping its a coincidence because i did eat a lot of carbs after the first work out where i did take the creatine which i did not cover properly with my novalog, resulting in a spike of a 400 blood sugar, something i havent had in months.

My A1C is 7.0-7.5

one thing that ive never been able to answer is that for some reasons my blood sugars will stay in the highs for no reason at all,this happens about 6 times a year and id like to think its something to do with puberty or growing or something since i am still in my teens. My diet doesnt really change, its usually healthy and high in protein.

thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated,
    nice to meet you all virtually, wish this thread was more active
    -andrew.

BTW siedav, im trying to get in contact with you over AIM. please get in touch with me im sure you could help me with getting better results and control of my diabetes.
    Last edited by Killuhdrew; 01-30-2011 at 09:45 AM.

craigsol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) craigsol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) craigsol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) craigsol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) craigsol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) craigsol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) craigsol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) craigsol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) craigsol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) craigsol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) craigsol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am also a Type one Diabetic for the past 25 years. I have some experience with bodybuilding but not a lot. I am going to try and do a cut starting in about two weeks that will get me to 3-5% BF by the mid summer currently 225 lbs and 14% BF. I will post diet and insulin routine here as much as I can.

thanks

jmjelde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just got Type 1 Diabetes at age 32

Originally Posted by ErinLeigh81 View Post
    I feel soooo the same!! I train with a trainer 5x a week and eat super clean 6 meals a day with good blends of protein/carbs/fat..I am a gm of a gym and have been in this envoronment for years and stilllll cant get back to my pre-diabetic weight/frame. I was 130 lbs before Type 1 and am now 175ish..def have more muscle than before but have extra bodyfat, mostly in my core that wont leave...

Have you found anything interesting lately that has been working for you?
    I am having the same problem. I am 32 and I just got type one about 6 month ago. I am having a really hard time losing the body fat. Before the diabetes my body fat was at 10% but now it is at 20%. I don't know what to do. I was doing Strong lift 5X5 and got really good resoles. Then the diabetes hit and that was that. I started insulin and I could gain muscle really fast but a lot of body fat with it. Plus my recoverer is not as good as it was.
    Now I am doing HIIT and just one compound move 5X5 three days a week. I don't know if that is a good workout anymore. I am use to not gaining weight but now I do. Can some you help me out here.

type1diab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I hope this post stays alive as i had posted back in 2008 about type1 diabetes and training but got no responses, i have been a off and on lifter since i was a kid and im now 40 have had type1 for 28yrs and have some complications from it but i have been away from lifting for the last 6mnths due to a new job and relocation, id hope some one could share there supplements and training for me or us, im using ON protein and Casien by ON also BSN NOxplode of course i watch my diet, not much BF always been a hard gainer and somtimes that discourages me and so ill stop and start up again.

Big_Marcus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can we please keep this post going. I will also like to hear about people with Type 1 diabetes bodybuilding experiences. Thanks
    "Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

irelandkev123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have type 1 diabetes for the last 2 and a half years and im 20yrs. I've been training on and off for maybe a year and a half. One thing i have always found hard is the dieting, i find i eat healthy enough ( things like whole wheat pasta and bread) but i've always been unsure what as the best foods to be eat to aid muscle gain. I understand i need to up my daily calorie intake (currently around 2400) but i dont want to have to severly increase my insulin intake which on an average day would be around 28-30 units. Also i would like to know what would be the best supplements to take for diabetics and ones to make sure to steer clear of. Maily protein supplements.

Any help with dieting or supplements would be great.

wazywazy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Type 1 diabetes for 15 years

HELLO, am nidal, am ALMOST 25 years old, with type 1 diabetes since 11 years OLD, i want to tell everyone that no one has all the answers for questions about diabetes and bodybuilding, which supplements to use, what food to eat, which exercizes to do, each has a goal of his own, increasing your muscular size is different than fat loss, or stay in shape, in general we diabetics need to calculate and pay more attention to what we eat and drink , its obvious why !! and to cheer everyone true bodybuilders do the same, they calculate wt they eat and count calories carbs intake and protein intake, and by the way supplements can really help , but some can cause lots of damage,i use some supplements myself and never faced a problem with insulin , BY THE WAY THE MINUTE YOU ENTERED THE GYM THEN YOU REALLY CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH, I RESPECT ALL WHO DO THIS AND CONTINUE, ITS THE FIRST STEP FOR SUCCESS.

Doigx006 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been a diabetic for close to 9 years now, im bout to turn 21 and i was diagnosed around the age of 12. Ive been lifting for the last 2-3 years on and off and started to take it more seriously over the last 6 months or so. I take Whey Protein in the morning and post workout, Casein Protein before bed, Juggernaut Hp as a preworkout, along with 5g of monohydrate creatine a day and an assortment of multivitamins and fish oils. I havent noticed any direct changes to my sugar levels due to any of the supplements as i did add them each periodically over the last few months so i could observe how they affected my sugars. The main thing you i make sure to be careful with my sugar levels dropping during and after workouts, i always have a small bottle of orange juice with me and a pack of gummies in case of an emergency, and i normally have a small snack following my workouts (such as the gummies or a granola bar) to avoid low sugars. In the end i believe its safe to say we can follow most diets, or exercise routines as long as we keep our sugar levels in target areas during the time.. the only supplements im on the edge about are fat burners such as hydroxycut cause im not sure if they will also affect sugar levels due to the increased body temps they cause (possibly burning more sugar off, like a sauna. ive tried a sauna before and had a close call with low blood sugar following that)

EpsilonThor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm 25 and have had type 1 since I was 15. I started lifting about a year ago and have been trying to gain weight (preferably muscle). I was able to gain 10-15 Lbs, but seem to have slowed. I'm on a Medtronic pump, though I'm hoping with my next upgrade I'll get the CGM sensor. I try to get my blood sugar 200-245 mg/dl before workout. During and after I tend to run crazy high (400+) but an hour after I end up cratering (>50). I work out 5 nights a week; weight/resistance and 30 minutes of cardio. I ignore the highs during the workout and treat the after workout lows with a protein shake and dinner. I put my basal rate as far low as my Dr and I think is safe a few hours before my workout, during and a few hours after, and treat any lows as they happen. I try for a 45-45-10 diet of protein, carb, and fat. This is only what I'm trying right now. If it works for me in the long run, great. If it helps others, that's even better.

Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm 21 and have been T1 since I was 15. I have gone from 145 at diagnosis to 200 now, all muscle gains... Try to keep blood sugar < 160 and usually try to start my workout with a 135-160. My a1c runs 6-6.7. I've noticed an increased insulin sensitivity when lifting hard and on days I lift especially. Do you guys feel that lows affect your gains at all? My dr told me years ago that lows can "eat away at muscles" but I haven't seen any evidence of that

Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by EpsilonThor View Post
    I'm 25 and have had type 1 since I was 15. I started lifting about a year ago and have been trying to gain weight (preferably muscle). I was able to gain 10-15 Lbs, but seem to have slowed. I'm on a Medtronic pump, though I'm hoping with my next upgrade I'll get the CGM sensor. I try to get my blood sugar 200-245 mg/dl before workout. During and after I tend to run crazy high (400+) but an hour after I end up cratering (>50). I work out 5 nights a week; weight/resistance and 30 minutes of cardio. I ignore the highs during the workout and treat the after workout lows with a protein shake and dinner. I put my basal rate as far low as my Dr and I think is safe a few hours before my workout, during and a few hours after, and treat any lows as they happen. I try for a 45-45-10 diet of protein, carb, and fat. This is only what I'm trying right now. If it works for me in the long run, great. If it helps others, that's even better.

Dude you need to get your numbers way lower...400+ is very bad..

gholloway67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gholloway67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gholloway67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gholloway67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gholloway67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gholloway67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gholloway67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gholloway67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gholloway67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gholloway67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gholloway67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey everyone, this is actually my first post on this forum so here's to Type I bodybuilders- this thread's the reason why I joined. I'm 20, and have had Type I diabetes for 16 years.

One thing I wanted to note on is BS control during workouts. Many of you have posted about how your workouts will lower your BS. This makes sense for some workouts, as the increased activity has your body using more glucose for energy, lowering your BS. HOWEVER this is not always the case- Epsilon Thor mentioned that his BS spikes drastically when he works out. For super intense exercise, it's actually likely that your BS will rise due to the release of stress hormones, adrenaline and noradrenaline, that signal your liver to dump more sugar into your blood to feed the increased metabolic need. Think "fight or flight." Personally, I find that my moderately intense workouts, ie, the ones that use all my smaller muscle groups, tend to lower my BS. When I squat or dead lift however, which usually results in one hell of an intense workout (big lifts, big muscle groups used), my BS is likely to rise do the the stress hormones released. Just food for thought; everyone is different and people react in different ways, but there is logic as to why your BS may actually rise drastically from intense exercise.

Just a bit about me, i eat a very balanced diet, high protein, moderate carbs, low fat, usually 6 meals per day including protein powder (1/2 serving of optimum's pro complex) after workouts. I supplement with Ndure by true nutrition (killer site, truenutrition.com, check it out if you haven't) which basically has creatine monohydrate, caffeine, BCAAs, and NO related amino acids. I can definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good pre-workout.

lofowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi. My wife is Type 1 and we've been trying to find more resources on bodybuilding and Type 1.

So far, the resource with the most potential that we've found is Collette Nelson. She's a Type 1 bodybuilder, registered dietician, diabetes educator, and more, and she does consulting. We haven't actually used her services yet (we're considering meal planning and follow up), so we don't have an actual review. However, I thought I'd throw her name out there in case anyone was looking. It seems to be a good possibility.

I also remember reading about a guy named Doug Burns who's a Type 1 natural bodybuilder. I haven't been able to find as much on him, so far.

AlbionTiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Everybody!
    I am a 35 year old Type 1. I was diagnosed when I was 15.
    Here's my bio:
    Pump user.
    Bolus: 22 Units/Day
    Basal: 24
    Supplements: 3g Fish Oil

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wazywazy View Post
    HELLO, am nidal, am ALMOST 25 years old, with type 1 diabetes since 11 years OLD, i want to tell everyone that no one has all the answers for questions about diabetes and bodybuilding, which supplements to use, what food to eat, which exercizes to do, each has a goal of his own, increasing your muscular size is different than fat loss, or stay in shape, in general we diabetics need to calculate and pay more attention to what we eat and drink , its obvious why !! and to cheer everyone true bodybuilders do the same, they calculate wt they eat and count calories carbs intake and protein intake, and by the way supplements can really help , but some can cause lots of damage,i use some supplements myself and never faced a problem with insulin , BY THE WAY THE MINUTE YOU ENTERED THE GYM THEN YOU REALLY CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH, I RESPECT ALL WHO DO THIS AND CONTINUE, ITS THE FIRST STEP FOR SUCCESS.
    That's a great point Nidal. Anytime a Diabetic wants to add a supplement to their diet they should seek the recommendations of their Doctor.

I haven't heard that lows "eat away at muscles", but I will look into it. Part of it makes sense. The body is using all the possible energy it has stored to keep it functioning.

Originally Posted by AlbionTiger View Post
    I haven't heard that lows "eat away at muscles", but I will look into it. Part of it makes sense. The body is using all the possible energy it has stored to keep it functioning.
    Any findings on this?

ChevyBFit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Great to see others out there!

Originally Posted by Gfe919 View Post
    Any findings on this?
    This thread is brilliant. It's so hard to find info on bodybuilding and t1d. Even my nutritionists at the hospital can't give me much info. They just give me info about running marathons etc not lifting. I had to learn a lot myself through trial and error and piecing it together.

I've been diabetic 17 years, been pretty active for the last 5 years or so but got serious about bodybuilding just under a year ago. I've definitely found that keeping my blood sugars tight helps with fat loss and muscle gains. Although the fat loss can happen at an infuriatingly slow pace. Getting my macros on point was the most beneficial thing, any bodybuilder has to sort their macros but it helps with my blood sugars too because I'm really concentrating on my portion sizes and weighing food etc so I can count my carbs really accurately and get better level control.

Was wondering, do we go catabolic when we go high? Just before I was diagnosed I was insanely skinny even though I ate like a horse, they estimate I got diabetes 4 yrs before diagnosis. So wouldn't this mean we go catabolic when we go high? Because our body eats itself because it can't get the energy from the food out of our blood stream.

Keep the posts coming. So motivating to see other t1d's out there smashing and getting the bf% down. Shows it's possible!!!