SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Trainer confusing me on high bar squat

Hi Ladies,

This is my first thread but I seriously need your opinions especially if you are a trainer. I used to do low bar squat before back surgery. I went back to squatting two months ago switching over to high bar squat to keep my back straight. I hired a starting strength coach to help me on my form on high bar squats. However, her form on high bar squat is confusing me and made me lost balance at one point in squatting.

I read VoxExMachina's thread on The Fundamentals of the Back Squat. He indicated to "begin the squat by pushing your hips backward. Imagine you're sitting back onto the toilet."

My coach said that for high bar squat, I have to stand straight, do NOT push my hips back, just sit straight down with chest up and when I squat back up my hip is supposed to push in and point to the wall. I have long femurs so it is hard for me to not lean forward.

Which one is correct on high bar squats (Vox or my coach)? Is my coach teaching me the incorrect way to high bar squat? Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The high bar squat has some forward lean, but not as much as a low bar squat.

I’m not very good at following cues, so I don’t pay much attention to sitting back vs. sitting down.

Move the bar up a couple of inches on your back.

Keep your upper back tight.

Squat.
    Last edited by Partyrocking; 11-30-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: wrong word
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimLiftRunGrl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post
    The high bar squat has some forward lean, but not as much as a back squat.

I’m not very good at following cues, so I don’t pay much attention to sitting back vs. sitting down.

Move the bar up a couple of inches on your back.

Keep your upper back tight.

Squat.
    Thank you for your response. That is what I thought too about high bar squat having some forward lean. My coach wants my chest to be straight up like front squats. The bar is on top of my traps. Thought hiring a starting strength coach will help with my form but got more confused. Thanks!

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SwimLiftRunGrl View Post
    Thank you for your response. That is what I thought too about high bar squat having some forward lean. My coach wants my chest to be straight up like front squats. The bar is on top of my traps. Thought hiring a starting strength coach will help with my form but got more confused. Thanks!
    The high bar squat is in the middle.

Of course, this is just a reference, but your back can’t keep the same angle that you would have on a front squat. You would be off balance.

Your chest *is* up compared to a low bar squat, but it sounds like your coach is either giving you bad cues or is poorly explaining himself (or herself).
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01