Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

high rep squat and deadlift!

As a former wannabe bodybuilder I still was always was more fasinated with the lower body, squats and deads (free-weights) because they are so challenging, right now I could care less about shoulder and arm training, afterall there is a reason why they say high rep squatting is king because all that other stuff truely is a walk in park. All I'm doing now is high rep squat and deads as I have the rest of my life to train arms and shoulders.

(a set and weighted chins here and there!)

saturday I tried something differant with deads, I always reset every rep, well it gets way too hard to get the bar moving, so I did a light tap and go and when resting for another rep I rest at lockout holding bar (without straps).

I started with 320x10 this fried my lower back better than ever, plus it did not work my legs. (FULL DEADS to the floor)
    goal is 20+reps over 300!

last month I squatted 226x21, exactly 1-month later (tuesday) I did 228.5x26

I believe in taking all the time I need with the bar on my back, I took my good 'ol time on the first 20reps, after that it was much more productive getting the last 6!!!

to keep this 35 related my goal is squat 335x35 (by age 35) (few years) with bar on back the whole time, but don't hold me to it because yes there are more important things in life.

the best high reps I see (on vids) are by over age 30.

to keep it bodybuilding related I don't think theres any reason to think someone under 200 that even squats 300x30 shouldn't have awsome "wheels".

it's been a heck of a fight sofar, but with a "method" and finally getting mentally strong, I'm breaking though it!!!!

it's quite an experiance to feel the "power" of high rep squats sofar, I did not sleep much after that 26reps, and I felt amazing energy levels all the next day.

it's gonna be AWSOME!!!!

Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Luke Whippo View Post
    to keep this 35 related my goal is squat 335x35 (by age 35)

I should say over or at age 35, because I'm not looking for this too quick, I doubt it would happen at even age 35?

if anyone would like to share some recent high rep squat and dead workouts they had, please do, this stuff is great.

I've been training the high rep squat consistant for about 2years now (once every month and half) my first all-out efforts was all "drive,guts, and glory" and in 2008 it was really tough trying to top those efforts, and I even had lots of negative thoughts about it (one thing I don't like is severe DOMS as I'm always working and such, I can handle low-back DOMS, but legs can make things to where I don't function 100%).

This last set 228.5x26 I had very minimal DOMS (due to my method and skill), 48hours later I'm ready to squat again, but I will refrain for at least another day!

Inspiring squatting to me is olyimpic style, I stumbled on the greatest squat vids I've ever seen "lifetime drugfree" these were posted a year ago, this guy at 190lbs squatted 355x20, 335x20, and 315x24 I would love to know if he is still at it? (for the "RUSH" fans he squatted to "Jacobs ladder" in 335x20). so check it out on the youtube.

........and I'd love to hear from others.

thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

i love brutal stuff like this.

last week i was really into the Nate Green article about DeFranco's gym for football players. The section where they did the 225-pound bench press test for reps was inspiring as hell.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._camp_on_earth

i think you should add to your challenge and really represent the superman

cabexbx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabexbx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just started back with the high rep squats in my routine. My last high rep squat workout was 255X20.

When I was in my late 20s I did both 20 rep squats and 20 rep deads for a while. For deads I did sumo style with touch and go reps and once did 315. Same on the squat. When I was done with the squats I took one step forward and my legs collapsed so I ended up dropping the bar on the pins. Back at this time I was doing just below parallel squats, not I'm probably a bit above parallel.

Originally Posted by thruxton View Post
    i love brutal stuff like this.

last week i was really into the Nate Green article about DeFranco's gym for football players. The section where they did the 225-pound bench press test for reps was inspiring as hell.

i think you should add to your challenge and really represent the superman

around the sametime I first started high rep squats I did do high rep dumbell presses and when rested held the wieght at lockout, I used full ROM for every rep. it was NICE!!!

however I needed to get rid of some equipment because I just had too much stuff, so since I'm more addicted to lower body, I gave my dumbells and bench to my brother-in-law. until I rig something up, I won't be doing any of that, but thats okay, I have the squat/dead!!!

higher rep chins are in the furure works as well!

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    With all due respect I do not see the need for high rep deadlifts. The deadlift is way more beneficial when done as heavy as possible in singles or in the 2-3 rep range

Now high reps squats that is another story and those f'ckers will definitely bring you to another level I tried 225 for 100 reps and only got 50 before I almost fainted, threw up and literally fell to the floor, quads and hams shaking like a leaf in a wind storm.
    On the list for Bannukah

Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    With all due respect I do not see the need for high rep deadlifts. The deadlift is way more beneficial when done as heavy as possible in singles or in the 2-3 rep range

Now high reps squats that is another story and those f'ckers will definitely bring you to another level I tried 225 for 100 reps and only got 50 before I almost fainted, threw up and literally fell to the floor, quads and hams shaking like a leaf in a wind storm.

great to hear from you bodyhard! I do remember reading when coming back from your injury you squatting 135x50, was that 225x50 before or after the accident?

without getting things too compicated I must disagree with you about the deadlifts only because when going ATG in the squats I can use heavier weight in the deads, plus holding the bar the wholetime adds a differant "blast" to the entire back it "kills" the back the way squats "kill" the legs.

but all in all for me it's not about whats needed but the brutalness (toughness) of it is what matters for me, besides I've spent the last few years doing 1-3's in the deads and they don't move up, it's time for something more crazy. (I still do a rack dead from time to time) 545 last week!

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Luke Whippo View Post
    great to hear from you bodyhard! I do remember reading when coming back from your injury you squatting 135x50, was that 225x50 before or after the accident?

without getting things too compicated I must disagree with you about the deadlifts only because when going ATG in the squats I can use heavier weight in the deads, plus holding the bar the wholetime adds a differant "blast" to the entire back it "kills" the back the way squats "kill" the legs.

but all in all for me it's not about whats needed but the brutalness (toughness) of it is what matters for me, besides I've spent the last few years doing 1-3's in the deads and they don't move up, it's time for something more crazy. (I still do a rack dead from time to time) 545 last week!
    Before the accident, I did 135lbs for 50 after.

I hear ya man, much props for doing high reps with deads I might give it a try who knows!
    On the list for Bannukah

jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do 20 rep deads once in a while. I can't do them for more than 2-3 months but they are the most brutal thing I've ever done. There was a video of Dr. Ken Leistner on youtube doing 400 and some change for 23 reps. I've checked but the video is gone...
    "Before my father died, he said the worst thing about growing old was that other men stopped seeing you as dangerous. I've always remembered that, how being dangerous was sacred, a badge of honor." - Act Of Valor

bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    What kind of % of 1RM is recommended or is a good starting point for the 20's for both?

And are you advocating ATG squats or parallel?

If ATG, I'd have to guess between 40-50% somewhere--for parallel possibly 60-70%

Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    The deadlift is way more beneficial when done as heavy as possible in singles or in the 2-3 rep range

I just thought of something also while you can build muscle without using high reps on both squats and deads, I "think" the high rep deads actually help improve high rep squats, when I did 226x21 the pump in my back is hindering me, however after doing the deads I felt my back was stronger for the 26 set?

afterall I can't squat ATG (atg being key) 320x10, I can get to 320x15 quick.

anyway gotta run, hopefully I can get in something this weekend and post next week!

jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bustasinclair View Post
    What kind of % of 1RM is recommended or is a good starting point for the 20's for both?

And are you advocating ATG squats or parallel?

If ATG, I'd have to guess between 40-50% somewhere--for parallel possibly 60-70%
    I would start with two plates (130lbs) it doesn't seem like much but if you add 5-10 lbs a week it goes up pretty quick (40 lbs a month). It's almost impossible to find any information or definitive answer on how to go about a 20 rep routine. Personally I do a light touch on the bottom of the rep and if I rest I rest standing and holding the bar. I don't do high rep squats...
    "Before my father died, he said the worst thing about growing old was that other men stopped seeing you as dangerous. I've always remembered that, how being dangerous was sacred, a badge of honor." - Act Of Valor

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i'm a big fan of 20 rep squats....week 5 will be tomorrow morning. i find i can only do them 1x per week, such is the systemic jolt to the body. i can squat atg 300, and found i had to start at 185....am up to 210 for 20 now. 5lb increments are all this boy can handle. so i'm in the 60 to 70% range of 1rm.

i'll continue with this until i can get 225 for 20. then on to something else!

anyone who has never tried them, you are missing out. and anyone who has done them, and is no longer doing them, well, i understand. they suck the life force out of you.

thomasale will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomasale will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomasale will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomasale will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomasale will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomasale will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomasale will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomasale will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomasale will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomasale will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomasale will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am in awe of this thread...I am such a wooooosiie

plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000)

Smile

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a very firm believer in high rep squats especailly atg squats.

How ever........IMO.......doing high rep deads is not the best idea. I think BH was correct when he said keep the deads to a low rep range..........good luck.......

thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

Originally Posted by thomasale View Post
    I am in awe of this thread...I am such a wooooosiie
    oh, you are not alone!

either strength (3-6 rep range) or aerobic training comes natural to me. i really have to get motivated to do metabolic challenges like this.

Registered User silverlightning's Avatar
    silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I just starting to squat again. back in the day i always included a warm up set of 225x15 or x 20. I'd like to get back to that again soon.

Originally Posted by boathead View Post
    i'm a big fan of 20 rep squats....week 5 will be tomorrow morning. i find i can only do them 1x per week, such is the systemic jolt to the body. i can squat atg 300, and found i had to start at 185....am up to 210 for 20 now. 5lb increments are all this boy can handle. so i'm in the 60 to 70% range of 1rm.

i'll continue with this until i can get 225 for 20. then on to something else!

anyone who has never tried them, you are missing out. and anyone who has done them, and is no longer doing them, well, i understand. they suck the life force out of you.
    I've been going for a couple of months and am at 210 for my deadlift and I'm with you, I think I've had enough for a while. From what I've read the pinnacle 20 rep goal is 300lbs for squats and 400lbs for deads, that won't be me...

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    I am also a fan of the 20 rep squat when used sparingly

but high rep deadlifts are the perfect way to end a lifting career for a while
    deads are so form dependent to avoid injury, that they should not be done past the 10 rep range
    you get tired, you straighten the legs and "back it up" and then BOOM, you are out for 4 months
    trust me, you won't be able to do crap in the gym when you back goes out like that, all machines for 4 months
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post

deads are so form dependent to avoid injury, that they should not be done past the 10 rep range
    you get tired, you straighten the legs and "back it up" and then BOOM, you are out for 4 months
    trust me, you won't be able to do crap in the gym when you back goes out like that, all machines for 4 months
    I agree with you to a point. All of the big movements have a potential to cause injury if not performed properly. I am recovering from a back injury (from doing deads), I hurt myself on the second rep and knew exactly where I screwed up right when it happened. 20 rep deads just like 20 rep squats need to be performed within the parameters of the lifters abilities. That's why I would recommend starting at a lighter weight due to the physical and mental demands unlike anything else in the gym. IMO I don't think 20 rep deads are anymore dangerous than 20 rep squats.
    Last edited by jellodirt; 05-01-2009 at 11:38 AM.

friday 5/1/09

first thing in the morning before any eating.

deadlift 295x12 (loosing grip) x4
    mixed grip, I think I took too long to regrip, but I'll know this for nextime, I'm still just getting a feel for this, deads are REALLY brutal this way!

as for straps, since I don't really do any direct forearm/grip work I want the work in the hands/forearms from this, so no straps for me!

sunday 5/3/09
    again first thing in the morning

squat 230x21 (add 5) 235x6

the method- taking 10-20sec to add the 5lb as a rest, this is how I got to 26reps with the bar on shoulders.

Originally Posted by jellodirt View Post
    There was a video of Dr. Ken Leistner on youtube doing 400 and some change for 23 reps. I've checked but the video is gone...

407x23 @160something BW and age 50something, that vid can still be found, just need to do some digging.

I got to meet him once because of who I know and traveled with to the AOBS dinner, Ken had his annual party, of course since he had no clue who I was I had to show him some work (he had me squatting)!

his vid is probilly the most intense squatting I've seen, most people say he made it look too easy and they don't believe it's real, but you can see his low back rounding at the end, plus the way he's breathing while going into the hole.

great vid!

Originally Posted by jellodirt View Post
    IMO I don't think 20 rep deads are anymore dangerous than 20 rep squats.

I agree.

you can be out on your butt from high reps squats just as easy, IMO it takes YEARS to do the socalled 20rep squat with your 10 rep max that is so talked about, I tried that once, and did a nice "good morning" on rep 12, DONE for a month!!!!!!

I've had all my own shares of injuries from both squatting and deadlifting, I'm a vet. IMO when it comes to knowing what I'm doing with the training, and in the injury department.

I haven't had even a slight back strain in years, alot of that is due to years of strongman style training.

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    on saturday, i did legs, and i am not kidding when i say i can barely walk today, a full 2 days after the fact. and my workout took less than 20 minutes.
    squat
    135 x 10
    185 x 20
    210 x 12

leg extension/leg curl
    2 supersets

leg press
    1 set 180 x 40

that's it. trust me, it's the shortest trip to hell you can ever find. i've done routines where it takes me over an hour to get my sets and reps in....it is nice as a change of pace to go pedal to the metal and be done...and i mean DONE....in 20 minutes.

tuesday 5/6/09

squat 231x23

okay this is the 3rd 20+ rep workout I've done in 8 days, it's truely time for a layoff (like at least 7days) I may deadlift sunday?

I did this last one to prove I got this routine now, I had 23 in my head and nailed it, this is 50lb over BW and DEEP knee bends (ATG) every single rep!

sat. 5/9/09

deadlifts- 291x 14-15 (I couldn't remember)....so we say 14reps.

funny the frist time doing this my hamstrings got beyond sore 48hours later, the next time it was only my entire back, now it was just my glutes.

OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post

ABSOLUTELY!!!
    I AM LIVING PROOF OF THAT. Doing deads and let my form go bad. After dropping 96 pounds and gaining a lot of muscle I messed up my back and am still not 100%. Setting here right now with my right leg propped up and muscle spasms going through it.

monday 5/11/09

squat
    232x10 (add 5) 237x10 (add 5) 242x10

10-20sec rest being "key" here.

while this not the "same" as doing 30rep squat, it is the closest thing to achieveing the mental and physical toughness it takes to continue.

I had to fight my mind and get under the bar for that 3rd time, I felt I got some strength back on the first couple of squats, my mind wanted to squat faster, to get this over with, but I knew that would burn me out, I wanted to complete 10reps, and my mind fought that, I was able to stand and control my breathing (controled breathing I feel is what keeps me from burning out).

the last time I did this style was a month ago 8,8,8 at a lighter poundage across the board, and I thought then that was all I had in me, now I see (even yesturday) I could have got 11,11,11 (or 12's)!!!!!

I can't wait for more progess!!!!!!!!!!!!

GetStronger09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GetStronger09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GetStronger09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GetStronger09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GetStronger09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GetStronger09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GetStronger09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GetStronger09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GetStronger09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GetStronger09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GetStronger09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    What exactly is the benefit in terms of strength and hypertrophy gains by doing 20 rep squats?

From what I have read you stick to 5 reps for strength gains and 10 reps for hypertrophy. 20 reps to me seems excessive. Is this just for your mental toughness? Enlighten me please.
    Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112094921

Current Weight PR's / Goals for June 2010
    OHP - 1x115 lbs / 3x5 - 125 lbs
    BP - 3x1 - 172.5 lbs / 5x2 - 185 lbs
    SQ - 5x2 - 245 lbs / 5x2 - 275 lbs
    DL - 1x5 - 350 lbs / 1x5 - 385 lbs