Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

125lbs- Time to change (Rippetoe Style)

Hey, I'm making this journal mainly for myself to keep me motivated and keep track of my progress, aswell as anyone who cares to pop in here

I've always been the smallest guy, the skinniest guy. The one who got seen as a bit of a joke. I'm now 21, still small (5'5) which I can't change, and still 125lbs.. That I can change.

I've decided to give Rippetoe's SS a go, I've been reading about and watching videos on it for around 3 weeks and it looks like it's just the thing I need to get kickstarted. I will be doing exactly what Rippetoe perscribes, with the 3 day split, Workout A,2 days off, Workout B.
    Supplements I'm taking atm only consist of 100% whey, which I will be taking post workout (1 scoop)

Overall Goal?
    To get bigger, to get stronger.. continued.

Prior to this I have never seen the inside of a gym before. I joined last week, underwent an induction and then went back later on in the week to familiarize myself with the equipment.

My weights are odd numbers because they are converted from KG

Today was my first day on Rippetoe and this is where I start:

(I do not count w/u's)

Workout A

Squat 3x5 - 103lbs
    Bench 3x5 - 77lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 - 100lbs

Workout Overview
    When I got in the gym was pretty empty which was great, I warmed up for 5mins on treadmill because I was freezing outside, then I got straight on with it, started with my squat warmups and graduated to working sets, same with bench.. When I did my deadlifts however I got interupted by someone else who was there who was correcting me on my form. He said I shouldn't be putting the weight on the floor between reps, infact I shouldn't be lowering it below my knees.. He showed/explained to me how I should be doing it and he suggested I stand up straight with the bar in my hands at arms length.. stick my bum out, bend my knees and lower the bar to just above my knee, then straighten up again. This confused me because I thought the whole point of a deadlift was to start and finish each rep from a 'dead weight' Anyway I realise he was trying to help me and doesn't want me to injur myself but it made me feel a little uncomfy for some reason, I can't think why.. but it did..
    Last edited by Exdee; 04-28-2009 at 07:05 AM.
    “Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it.”

-Albert Einstein

SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Subscribed and repped!

wallacetim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

You and I are (somewhat) in the same boat...
    Except for I'm 17 and I weigh in at about 150.

However, I just started Rippetoe today. And I hurt in places I didn't even know existed.

It's good to know that there are other people just getting started. I spend a lot of time looking at articles, and everyone is already ripped.

Kudos.
    Death before dishonor.

Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    lol It's good to know other people are hurting from rippetoe's too.. Im dying :P
    “Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it.”

-Albert Einstein

Week 1 Day 2

Workout B

Squats 3 x 5 45KG
    Military Press 3 x 5 20KG
    Barbell Rows 3 x 5 35KG

Workout Overview

I got to the gym at tea time, expecting it to be packed and having to wait for the equipment.. I got there and was suprised to see the free weights were empty ! I took advantage of this after a quick 5min treadmill warmup. Started with the squats, added 5kg up from last workout, this took it's tole on me as my legs were still hurting from Tuesday's workout. Anyway I got on with it and managed my full 3x5, the last rep on the last set was dreadful but I managed it.. just. First time doing military presses and barbell rows this week, I must say I love the military presses, I think theyre a great excersize. I started low weight to get form right and will add some extra weight next week to it. The barbell rows I found to be pretty easy, so I will really be able to crank the weight up on them next week also

-Albert Einstein

Week 2 Day 1

3 x 5 Squat 45KG
    3 x 5 Bench 35KG
    1 x 5 Deadlift 45KG

Overview

I had recovered over the weekend so wasn't sore really, after a quick warm-up. My lower back was hurting 24hours or so after this warm, will have to keep an eye on this, probably something to do with form.

-Albert Einstein

Week 2 Day 2

Squat 3x5 45kg
    Shoulder Press 3 x 5 22.5KG
    Barbell Rows 3 x 5 37.5 KG

Overview

I didn't increase my squat weight today as my legs were still so sore from last workout.. seriously, stairs just haven't been my strongpoint since then :P . The shoulder presses were nice, tough but I was in control. The rows really took so effort I was majorly vein popping and going a overall red colour after those. I had only increased the weight by 2.5K on last workout but maybe it's because they were at the last part of my workout I found them challenging. I'll have to take notice next week and see what the score is.

Suggestion..

I was talking to my friend today @ work, I consider him to know what he is on about when it comes to bodybuilding. He knows I've been on Rippetoe's and was suggesting I add an extra day in to my workout for specific Bicep/Tricep work.. (Thursday, perhaps) I have read lots of msgs on BB warning not to mess with Rippetoe's prescribed workout and to stick to it. Maybe I will see how things look in 6months and re-evaluate, maybe add some additional work in, if not an extra day then some accessory work on Fridays.

-Albert Einstein

Week 2 Day 3

Squat 3x5 45KG
    Bench 3x5 37.5KG
    Dead lift 3x5 47.5KG

Overview

I expected the squats to be alot harder than they were, I was still sore from last workout in my upper legs, but managed to plough through 3x5 without any hassle, moved onto the bench and got on with that, I hadn't benched since 4 days before so that felt good, upped the weight 2.5kg- not sure when I will be able to bump that up again, probably next week. Deadlifts were tough this week, although only a 2.5KG increment from last workout they were real tough, I thought I was gonna be real achey this morning.. I probably will be later on today. As it was only 10hours ago since I was as the gym, I will probably start aching during work again :P

-Albert Einstein

bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I started off similar to you almost identical specs... In 3 months I saw insane gains. Unfortunately im a fool and for 2 years after that I never saw the inside of a gym.

Check my old journal, the routine works wonders.

Originally Posted by bodyfuel View Post
    I started off similar to you almost identical specs... In 3 months I saw insane gains. Unfortunately im a fool and for 2 years after that I never saw the inside of a gym.

Check my old journal, the routine works wonders.
    Thanks man, I hope I can follow in your footsteps, gonna take a look at your old journal now

-Albert Einstein

Week 3 Day 1

Workout B

Squats 3x5 47.5KG
    Shoulder Press 3x5 25KG
    Barbell Row 3x5 37.5KG

Overview

Got up early today to hit the gym, as I also have to work today, gym was relalively empty today which was good, could crack on with things as soon as I got on and do full warmups without feeling any pressure to rush. Bunked up the weight on my squats today by 2.5KG which I felt was just right, will be sticking here for this week atleast. My S/presses were very hard on the last set, rep 4&5 were so hard, I really had to get under them! I was thinking about reducing the weight on my barbell, the form on my last reps are a little sloppy imo. My shoulders are shrugging I'll be checking out videos on form and if I arn't doing it correct as I suspect, they weight will be coming down next workout.

-Albert Einstein

Week 3 Day 2

Squats 3x5 47.5KG
    Bench 3x5 37.5KG
    Deadlift 3x5 47.5KG

Overview

Great workout, when I set into the gym today I wasn't aching at all from last session, I was totally fresh, seemed to breeze through my reps on the first 2 sets of each excersize, and the last set wasn't too much of a struggle, the deadlifts were hard but they were at the end of my workout- I felt great upon leaving the gym.. until I had to get into my car ^^,

-Albert Einstein

Week 3 Day 3

Squats 3x5 47.5kg
    Shoulder Press 3x5 25kg
    Barlbell Rows 3x5 37.5kg

Overview

Well I thought I was recovered from last workout, turned out my legs weren't totally. The squats were the hardest theyve been today. Took really great effort to get back up after the squats, felt awesome though after my 3rd set. Won't be upping the weights of my squats next week though, I'll keep them as they are for another week. My rows I decided not to decrease the weight after watching some videos on form, I corrected my form and this made it a little easier to keep tight when I was pulling so I'm glad I got this sorted out. Now have a weekend at work to recover.

-Albert Einstein

Squats 3x5 47.5kg
    Bench 3x5 37.5kg
    Deadlift 3x5 47.5kg

Overview

I went to the gym straight after work today, 7am, when the gym opens. When I got there there was a group of guys who all seemed to be the '7am crowd' they made me feel very aware that it was, me..and them. It made me feel awkward when they were whispering and staring whilst I was benching, and stopping what they were doing when I picked any weight up. Suffice to say, I won't be going on the morning anymore.

-Albert Einstein

PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
    Squats 3x5 47.5kg
    Bench 3x5 37.5kg
    Deadlift 3x5 47.5kg

Overview

I went to the gym straight after work today, 7am, when the gym opens. When I got there there was a group of guys who all seemed to be the '7am crowd' they made me feel very aware that it was, me..and them. It made me feel awkward when they were whispering and staring whilst I was benching, and stopping what they were doing when I picked any weight up. Suffice to say, I won't be going on the morning anymore.
    doesn't matter! ignore them, you're there with a goal. focus on the goal, ignore the crowd. plug some music in your ears and go for it.

Week 4 Day 2

Originally Posted by PEXZ View Post
    doesn't matter! ignore them, you're there with a goal. focus on the goal, ignore the crowd. plug some music in your ears and go for it.

Indeed PEXZ, It's gonna take more than that to get me discouraged and unmotivated.. Was back in the gym yesterday with a clear head and fresh body to get the job done. Had to substitute the foundation of the workout but, I had a good reason.. Uhh.. I think :$

Leg Press [!] 3x5 52kg
    Bench 3x5 37.5kg
    Shoulder Press 3x5 25kg

Overview:
    Yes there is no squats here, the story behind this is, the night before I got cramp in my left leg, a familiar situation.. not sure why. However when I get cramp it hurts like hell for a minute or so but then, the pain lingers for a few days, not as bad as full on cramp obviously but enough to stop me walking normally.. I had this pain still when I entered the gym and therefore didn't want a heavy weight on my shoulders when I only had 1 good leg, safety reasons ^^, I am tempted to up my bench next week, infact- I am atleast gonna try it, see how I get on with 40kg.. wish I could increase my weights in smaller doses but the minimum plate my gym does is 1.25kg, so 1 on each side is a min increment of 2.5kg.. It's a big jump when I'm already at my current max. I also really want to up my shoulder press, I reckon I could go to 27.5kg for my first set but after that would fail. As it stands atm, with 25kg shoulder press I am really going all out of the last set, no chance I could do even 1kg more, it seems.

-Albert Einstein

Week 4 day 3

Well, it's the end of the 1st month and I'm feeling grrreat, it's gone very quick, doesn't feel like I've been at it a month already I haven't missed a workout since I started, and feel like im making good progress in my lifts.

Today was all about form for me, as I've been going to the gym I've been seeing the same faces and got chatting to some experienced personal trainers and bodybuilders. I've been getting some pointers on form, especially on my squats, it seems I was sticking my ass out far too much when squatting, and straightening my legs with my chest more or less still parallel to the floor. I haven't been doing this for all my workouts, just when the weights were getting heavy. I corrected this today by lowering my squat weight down to 45kg, my form was a hell of alot better, I was also concentrating on my deadlift form, really concentrating on every lift and making sure it was perfect.. I am looking forward to training in future with a much improved form

Also upped my bench today as planned, up to 40kg, very difficult on the last reps of each set, last set was awesome !

Workout for today was as follows ^^,

Squats 3x5 45kg
    Bench 3x5 40kg
    Deadlift 3x5 47.5kg

Overview

Well yeah, I've already babbled on alot already, I'll repeat I am feeling great today, I had a brilliant workout, corrected my form on 2 lifts, upped my weights on my bench and got a great pump.. Will be going to work in a good mood now

Weekend off, will be updating again monday~*

-Albert Einstein

Guilty Pleasures

Well I haven't been out since new year's eve, I got really poorly then from drinking and have been scared to go through the same thing again, so haven't been drinking, not like I am a drinker anyway but yeah.. Ended up going out last night after work, didn't have a massive amount to drink but had enough to get merry, feeling weirdly guilty, this quest for getting myself into shape is not just to become stronger and gain mass.. It is also to strive for a healthy body, I can't help feeling I must have took a few backwards steps last night with every drink I bought. I'm not sure it will do much harm, I don't drink beer or lager, more spirits, ready for the gym monday though, raring to go and do it!

-Albert Einstein

PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000) PEXZ is just really nice. (+1000)
    don't worry, it sounds like you've been doing a good job at keeping your body healthy. a few drinks isn't going to change that.

sounds like you're doing a good job in the gym, keep it up!

Week 5 Day 1

Squat 3x5 45kg
    Shoulder Press 3x5 25kg
    Barbell Row 3x5 37.5kg

Overview

Week 5 kicked off great, got to the gym at 4, it was closing at 5pm due to bank holiday so.. there wasn't many people there. Had an hour to do my workout which I felt was plenty, I turned out to be right, got finished in 45mins.. Continued my concentration on form for all excersizes and felt I completed all sets with great form, really tired my body out. Got home and was absolutely shattered, had to have an early night lol.

Will be attempting to up my Shoulder Press 2.5kg on Friday's workout. Let's see how this goes..

-Albert Einstein

Week 5 Day 2

Squat 3x5 45kg
    Bench 3x5 40kg
    Deadlift 3x5 47.5kg

Overview

Not much to say about yesterday's workout, apart from I was sticking with concentration on form, and I felt all excersizes were really pushing me, really had to give it my all to complete the sets, I can really tell the difference of my muscles working when using 'as perfect as I can get' form.. Well, off to a theme park with the family today, looking forward to the workout tomorrow, the plan is to still up my shoulder press.

-Albert Einstein

how are the gains coming along? do you weigh more now?

Originally Posted by PEXZ View Post
    how are the gains coming along? do you weigh more now?
    Not sure yet Pexz, I am gonna weight myself at the 2month mark, then keep up with the weigh-ins every 2 month after that, Don't want to weigh myself too often and then get dis-heartened with little or no gains..

I'm dreading the weigh in tbh though, been working so hard in the gym and have seen no physical improvements as of yet, gonna stick with it though, I should atleast gain some mass if I stick at it 6month

-Albert Einstein

Week 5 Day 3

Squat 3x5 45kg
    Shoulder Press 3x5 36kg
    Barbell Row 3x5 37.5kg

Overview

Well today was about 600 degree, it was a major heat increase for england over here on yesterday..My squats were hard due to the fact I had been sunburned on my shoulders the day before :P I moved my shoulder press from the smith onto the static machine, which is why the increase in weights, I'll be sticking to the shoulder press machine for a while just to mix things up abit and make sure I'm using the same movement every workout. Will find it easier to increase weights this way too. Want to get my squats back up to 47.5k with correct form but, not sure if I'm ready for them yet, the 45's are still abit of a challenge especially on the last couple of reps.

-Albert Einstein

rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey, man, I'm doing Rippetoe's too. I didn't read through all of your posts, but I've seen your squats haven't had much improvement. Are you sure you are doing them correctly? Are you eating enough? Your squat and deadlift should shoot up rapidly, because they use the most muscle...

yung-gun1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yung-gun1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yung-gun1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yung-gun1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yung-gun1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yung-gun1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yung-gun1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yung-gun1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yung-gun1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yung-gun1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yung-gun1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your starting off in the perfect place. If your eating alot combined with the "newb" gains you get with this program you'll get big and strong quick. I didn't even eat well enough while on Rippetoes and I still gained well. Good luck!
    Working my way to the top.

Bench - 215
    Squat - 315 Parallel
    Deadlift - 410

Originally Posted by rock201 View Post
    Hey, man, I'm doing Rippetoe's too. I didn't read through all of your posts, but I've seen your squats haven't had much improvement. Are you sure you are doing them correctly? Are you eating enough? Your squat and deadlift should shoot up rapidly, because they use the most muscle...
    Hey dude, yes you're right, my squats have only increased 5kg in 5weeks, I have a problem with upping weights, I am doing.. gradually.. but I always feel like I am pushing my max (It really always feels like this) for example, when I am doing 45kg squats, on my last rep I really am giving it my all, I really can't imagine me adding anymore weight to that, I might have to push myself harder though and increase them anyway or atleast try. From your comment I will, this Monday, add weight to my squat. The problem is, if this is even a problem. Is the minimum plate size at my gym is 1.25kg, so.. each side thats an increment of 2.5kg total. I wish they had smaller plates so I could increase my weight far more often, gradually. But as I say, this monday I will atleast attempt to push my squats to 47.5, I have all weekend to recover so I don't really have an excuse ^^,

Originally Posted by yung-gun1 View Post
    Your starting off in the perfect place. If your eating alot combined with the "newb" gains you get with this program you'll get big and strong quick. I didn't even eat well enough while on Rippetoes and I still gained well. Good luck!
    That's good to hear man, although as of yet I haven't seen any physical gains, It's early days- I was planning on getting my head down for 6month and then see what progress I have made after this time but, as of yet- physical changes I cannot recognise.

I also have a problem with eating, I work in a 24/7 casino so, shifts are all over the place which sometimes is a problem to eat 3 proper meals a day, I am doing the best I can with this though and taking protein after every workout. I'm still putting alot of time into researching workouts and things and getting a knowledge of all areas of bodybuilding, theres so much but I am enjoy reading it and will improve over time.. I have to :P

-Albert Einstein

Angry Week 6 Day 1

What a day, what a crap day.. First I went to town and parked up in a parking bay which I paid ?6 for.. When I came back to my car, I had a parking ticket, because my permit wasn't on display properly.. (BS excuse..) So that cost me ?50, When I got home a taxi reversed staight into my 2month old car in his ridiculously old skoda.. Then I was stomping around upstairs and knocked the pot of fish food on the floor.. NOT GOOD! Do you know how long it takes to clean fish flakes up off the floor ><!

I almost didn't go to the gym I was so pissed off with today, but I ended up going, shoved my music on and my rage with the day carried me through, upped the weights on my squats, powered through my benches and upped the weight on my deadlifts.. Every vein on my neck/shoulders/arms were dancing around by the end of my workout.. I really worked hard in the gym today.

Squats 3x5 47.5kg
    Bench 3x5 40kg
    Deadlift 3x5 50kg

-Albert Einstein

ragetrainings are the best! good to hear you upped the weight.

Week 6 Day 2

Was feeling very glum today, after realising I can't claim back on my car without losing my no claims, it looks like I will have to pay for it independently, which will put a dent in the savings I have been working very hard to accumalate.

Anyway I got to the gym and it was pretty full, I don't like queing up for stuff and then been rushed off of things when I finally get on things, anyway here are the lifts for today..

Squat 3x5 47.5kg
    Shoulder Press 3x5 41kg
    Barbell Row 3x5 37.5kg
    Dips 3x5 BF

Upped Shoulder press to 41k, will probably up next week aswell, trying to find my x5 max atm, I'm getting close ^^, Threw the dips in whilst I was waiting for equipment.

-Albert Einstein