freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Knee Injury: Pain and sound while bending

Hi everyone. I seem to have injury in both my knees. I am unable to bend them without having to bear pain. Also, i can hear popping sounds when I walk or bend. Sometimes it feels like the ball and socket joints are out of place.

I went to a doctor and took X-Rays. The doctor suggestion surgery on my knees. However, when I took a second opinion from another doctor he told me to avoid surgery and go see a physiotherapist. Now I am seriously confused. Please help.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If another doctor said that surgery wasnt all that neccessary then just go to physio a couple times a week and listen about the exercises you have to do in order to recover.
    How did this pain occur in the first place, if i know that i might be able to help a bit more than i am.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Does it seems to lock up or just have pain.
    Plus if you just had an Xray, they can tell if ligaments were damage in an xray.

Common methods for knee injuries are rehab for 4 weeks and then surgery if necessary.

If you are having popping and pain while bending it my guess is you have a torn meniscus.
    What type of doctor did your see?
    If it wasn't an orthopedic doctor then you need to see one.
    Brothers of Metal Crew

Steelers

Strip Mining prevents Forest Fires
    UMWA

Toe_Runner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Knee Pain

I have had the same problem...

Horrible pain in both knees (I'm a runner, so a problem)...coulding climb stairs, counldn't go down starirs, popping noises (but no pain with the pops)...

...I've been able to fix myself...was doing lots of back kicks (for hips and hamstrings) and I think I pulled my knees out of alignment. So I let the swelling go down a bit and then started doing quad and inner thigh excercises. Has helped tremendously. Almost fully rehabed.

Give it a try.

mandosgreat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mandosgreat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mandosgreat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mandosgreat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you feel pain, I'd be very careful as to what exercises you do, as they may just aggravate your issue.

Go see the physiotherapist and try whatever they say, see if there's any improvements.

If you didn't have any pain (like the previous poster), I'd suggest strengthening your quads (doing things like Cycling), but since you have pain, and a good amount, I'd err on the side of caution.

WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Unless you KNOW it is absolutely neccesary I would advise you NOT to go the surgery route..

I had bad side knee pain (unknown reason) and was advised that surgery would fix it for sure, after much deliberation I went for it -based on their confident assertions of success- .. they were supposed to tidy up (sew up) some slightly worn cartiledge that they figured 'might' be the pain culprit between the leg bones.. but not only did they NOT do that, they removed it, most of it.. (I specifically told them NOT to do that also), now I got a big hunk of cartiledge missing and my knee hurts a lot all day every day.. sometimes I dream about the pain because it hurts 24/7 and my knee's lifespan is now much shorter. Can't run either now and that was the original reason FOR surgery .. Doc said I would have no pain and be able to run fine after.. @#*#!

The best part? The original side knee pain is still there.. they actually made everything worse.

lol, sorry, that totally turned into a rant I am sorry. However, that is my point - please be advised - surgery isn't always a fix all, it may even make things worse!

Try ALL other avenues first! Physio, target exercises, myotherapy, whatever, I wish you luck and I understand your frustration, stay strong!
    "If you can't have the best of everything, make the best of everything you have"

marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I could have told my story about how staph infection nearly killed me, took a muscle from leg, ACL, and Medial Meniscus, not to mention the numbness and intense pain associated with every step.

However cases like yours and mine are not that common.

99% of surgeries fix the problem instead of creating them
    Brothers of Metal Crew

Steelers

UMWA

paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    @WiLDFLeX

I've had a knee / meniscus problem for nearly two decades, but never did a surgery. It seems like once you are under, the doctor can do whatever. I suppose its possible to do a pure diagnostic surgery, but I don't hear people doing that.

freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10) freenick is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by marblehead View Post
    Does it seems to lock up or just have pain.
    Plus if you just had an Xray, they can tell if ligaments were damage in an xray.

Common methods for knee injuries are rehab for 4 weeks and then surgery if necessary.

If you are having popping and pain while bending it my guess is you have a torn meniscus.
    What type of doctor did your see?
    If it wasn't an orthopedic doctor then you need to see one.
    Both of them were orthopedic doctors. The X-Ray shows that one of the bones move out of position when I bend my knees. This happens to both my legs. By moving out of position I mean it moves more towards my head. I guess I am making it confusing.

My situation was not from birth. My personal opinion is that, it started from squatting.

WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10) WiLDFLeX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by marblehead View Post
    I could have told my story about how staph infection nearly killed me, took a muscle from leg, ACL, and Medial Meniscus, not to mention the numbness and intense pain associated with every step.

However cases like yours and mine are not that common.

99% of surgeries fix the problem instead of creating them
    That sucks, sorry to hear that. I hope you are doing better now?

However, first of all they are actually more common than 1%, I don't know where you get your statistics from but where I am the NHS (England) DO make considerable 'mis-treatments', and considering that they deal with so many people every year even 1% is quite a lot of people.. Doctors and surgeons are just people, they make mistakes. But when they do what you specifically said NOT to.. well..

I am not knocking surgery per se, nor am I knocking the medical profession, what I AM saying to the opening poster is to FIRST explore every non-surgical avenue before going the surgery route.. Since once you go surgery you can't undo what's done.

I hope you can appreciate what I am saying here, perhaps I didn't make it clear enough to begin with.
    "If you can't have the best of everything, make the best of everything you have"

Originally Posted by freenick View Post
    Both of them were orthopedic doctors. The X-Ray shows that one of the bones move out of position when I bend my knees. This happens to both my legs. By moving out of position I mean it moves more towards my head. I guess I am making it confusing.

My situation was not from birth. My personal opinion is that, it started from squatting.
    I find it odd they didn't do an MRI.
    Well. My guess is your PCL is damage. Or more.
    Before I do anything I would really have an MRI done.

Originally Posted by WiLDFLeX View Post
    That sucks, sorry to hear that. I hope you are doing better now?

However, first of all they are actually more common than 1%, I don't know where you get your statistics from but where I am the NHS (England) DO make considerable 'mis-treatments', and considering that they deal with so many people every year even 1% is quite a lot of people.. Doctors and surgeons are just people, they make mistakes. But when they do what you specifically said NOT to.. well..

I am not knocking surgery per se, nor am I knocking the medical profession, what I AM saying to the opening poster is to FIRST explore every non-surgical avenue before going the surgery route.. Since once you go surgery you can't undo what's done.

I hope you can appreciate what I am saying here, perhaps I didn't make it clear enough to begin with.

I just threw a number out there because there are thousands of procedures a day without a hitch.
    I have pain in everystep but its better than only having one leg.

Rehabing prior to surgery is a good idea yes if it is a ligament tear but it its cartilage it will be very hard to rehab damage cartilage.

There are risks to surgery but most surgeries go as planned
    Brothers of Metal Crew

Steelers

UMWA