NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Question Muscles Trembling/Spasming After Workout?

Lately (the past two or so years), I've noticed that my muscles twitch/shake/tremble/spasm/whatever you want to call it after my workouts. They never used to do this before. Example: If do calf raises that day, while driving home, I'll notice that my calf muscles are trembling, like jumping a little. Makes it kinda hard to drive. LOL Or, if I do shoulder presses that day, I'll notice that my shoulder muscles tremble if I raise my arms overhead. I'm not talking about the typical feeling-like-jelly-because-I-trained-intensely sensation. It's more of a serious, out-of-control jumping/spasm. The only way to stop it is to relax the muscle and/or massage the affected area.

Anyone else experience this or know what could be causing this? I don't know if it's over-exertion. If anything, I trained harder when I younger than I do now.
    Last edited by NaturalMsO; 04-26-2009 at 06:54 PM.
    "If you're looking for a quick fix, you're in the wrong sport. Bodybuilding is a lifetime journey, not an overnight jaunt." - NaturalMsO

★☆★★☆
    "MRS tAkin ova?"
    "Yes, the women are taking over."
    ★☆★★☆

baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sounds like your CNS is affected by your training. That takes some hard work.
    Where the mind goes the body follows.

IG @imbakes
    MFP bakerjb19

pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lackin' Minerals especially magnesium & calcium..
    Last edited by pac8x8; 04-26-2009 at 07:34 PM.

thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by pac8x8 View Post
    of course what you are saying makes sense, but IME drinking a lot of milk (with adequate Vit.D intake as well) was unhelpful while adding 200-300mg of mag twice a day was helpful

and not just any mag, since the stuff you find at safeway is likely to give you diarrhea and just make your hypomag worse. some trainers talk about aspartate, such as in ZMA being best, and chelated second. i take solgar's chelated twice a day and the ZMA at night without GI side effects.

i also think that adequate omega-3 intake is essential.
    Last edited by thruxton; 04-27-2009 at 05:42 AM.

immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hmmm....same thing happens to me occasionally. Except usually the day after a w/o. One day my left boob spasmed for about an hour while I was working on the computer. Weird stuff.

RBH58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBH58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBH58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBH58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBH58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBH58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBH58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBH58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBH58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBH58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBH58 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Right quad's going off as I type this. But I can get muscle spasms (of the completely uncontrollable variety) just about anywhere. Fortunately not everywhere at once!!!!!! It's usually one muscle at a time. Had one in my abs last week that went on and off for a couple of days. I'm sort of used to it. Doesn't really worry me that much but I may take some of the suggestions posted on board.

NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I take more than the suggested amount of calcium and magnesium, so I don't think that's it. I'm taking over 1,000 mgs of calcium and 200% the recommended magnesium intake (the daily vitamin/mineral that I take is designed for athletes, so it has at least double the amount of everything in it).
    "If you're looking for a quick fix, you're in the wrong sport. Bodybuilding is a lifetime journey, not an overnight jaunt." - NaturalMsO

★☆★★☆
    "MRS tAkin ova?"
    ★☆★★☆

socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i get that muscle spasm thing every now in then in my front delts, its kinda freaky, but its happened on and off for years. come to think of it, it hasn't acted up several months. i never worried about it, just figured it was normal, my old training partner used to get real bad spasms in is right pec. since you are getting plenty of minerals and vitamins, thats probably not it. are you drinking enough water? i know sometimes i get real bad charly horses in my calves after a hard training, its always later at night, but usually if i sweat like a pig that day while training. i always think its cause i am dehydrated.

socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i'm sure you know how to use google but heres a link

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-muscle-spasm.htm
    they do mention dehydration and over training

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by NaturalMsO View Post
    Lately (the past two or so years), I've noticed that my muscles twitch/shake/tremble/spasm/whatever you want to call it after my workouts. They never used to do this before. Example: If do calf raises that day, while driving home, I'll notice that my calf muscles are trembling, like jumping a little. Makes it kinda hard to drive. LOL Or, if I do shoulder presses that day, I'll notice that my shoulder muscles tremble if I raise my arms overhead. I'm not talking about the typical feeling-like-jelly-because-I-trained-intensely sensation. It's more of a serious, out-of-control jumping/spasm. The only way to stop it is to relax the muscle and/or massage the affected area.

Anyone else experience this or know what could be causing this? I don't know if it's over-exertion. If anything, I trained harder when I younger than I do now.
    This was happening to me quite often to the point where it started being out of control. My chest one time was jumping to the point where I started grabbing it and it looked to other people like I was catching a heart attack but I was trying to stop the jumping. I was told to get more potassium and more water, it stopped. Try eating more bananas.
    On the list for Bannukah

RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    hydration could be a factor as well as depleted potassium levels. recommendations for Ca:Mg ratio range from 4:1-1:1. i used to get these after working out and it was explained that the area cramping/twitching was deprived of oxygen.
    www.RDFinders.com

Come check out my workouts and progress in my online journal

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=305088761#post305088761

It is my progression for qualifying for November's Nationals in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.

Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would love to know the answer to this. I once had to sit in my car after a workout for about 20 minutes because my calf would spasm every time I tried to put the clutch in to start the car.
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

RIP New and Improved! (Formerly Known As Just Shoot Me!) - 05/05/05

RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by Brinn View Post
    I would love to know the answer to this. I once had to sit in my car after a workout for about 20 minutes because my calf would spasm every time I tried to put the clutch in to start the car.
    now that makes it hard to drive.
    www.RDFinders.com

It is my progression for qualifying for November's Nationals in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    NATURAL: you are carrying way more muscle mass than most of the gals on this forum.....that, plus your history of Power lifting, there is no doubt that you are hitting your muscles VERY hard.....

I am not so sure this is "lack" of something, but rather "too much" of something, namely, in the training.....

without any dietary changes, back off the amount of weight and intensity for a week or so and see if it makes any difference....

"Snip it Doc,snip it hard LyingSac's Avatar
    LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this and a multi B vitamin^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Land of Honalee

Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    NATURAL: you are carrying way more muscle mass than most of the gals on this forum.....that, plus your history of Power lifting, there is no doubt that you are hitting your muscles VERY hard.....

I am not so sure this is "lack" of something, but rather "too much" of something, namely, in the training.....

without any dietary changes, back off the amount of weight and intensity for a week or so and see if it makes any difference....
    I don't think so... I only train twice a week now. And I just took a break and went back Sunday for the first time. And it was tremors galore.

★☆★★☆
    "MRS tAkin ova?"
    ★☆★★☆

thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I take more than the suggested amount of calcium and magnesium, so I don't think that's it. I'm taking over 1,000 mgs of calcium and 200% the recommended magnesium intake (the daily vitamin/mineral that I take is designed for athletes, so it has at least double the amount of everything in it).

i remember they talked up hydration and potassium for the marathoners until they realized that it was actually hyponatremia that put them in trouble. of course, i would still be tempted to experiment with stopping all coffee (or sodas) for a month to rule that out. if you take creatine, you could try to eliminate that or cut it out for a while.

but i can't let go of my magnesium theory just yet. yes, 800mg should be plenty, but taking calcium at the same time could be interfering with absorption??

since i started BCAAs and mega fish oil around the same time as well as dropping coffee consumption. i can't say i have been the model controlled study, but the chelated mag i take (200mg a few times a day) has (seemingly) stopped all annoying twitches like in the eyelids or pecs, and put calf cramps to bed.

this is such a common complaint, so i am very curious and hope you find a solution that works for you and report back your findings.

Originally Posted by thruxton View Post
    i remember they talked up hydration and potassium for the marathoners until they realized that it was actually hyponatremia that put them in trouble. of course, i would still be tempted to experiment with stopping all coffee (or sodas) for a month to rule that out. if you take creatine, you could try to eliminate that or cut it out for a while.

but i can't let go of my magnesium theory just yet. yes, 800mg should be plenty, but taking calcium at the same time could be interfering with absorption??

since i started BCAAs and mega fish oil around the same time as well as dropping coffee consumption. i can't say i have been the model controlled study, but the chelated mag i take (200mg a few times a day) has (seemingly) stopped all annoying twitches like in the eyelids or pecs, and put calf cramps to bed.

this is such a common complaint, so i am very curious and hope you find a solution that works for you and report back your findings.
    see if feel that way as well b/c they are both divalent ions!!!! so why wouldn't they compete for absorption in the gut?
    www.RDFinders.com

Originally Posted by RDFinders View Post
    see if feel that way as well b/c they are both divalent ions!!!! so why wouldn't they compete for absorption in the gut?
    Very possible. Same metabolic pathway, enzyme structure?

★☆★★☆
    "MRS tAkin ova?"
    ★☆★★☆

Very possible. Same metabolic pathway, enzyme structure?
    has to do with the charge on the Ca and Mg both are 2+ charge. if memory serves me correct from chemistry class.
    www.RDFinders.com

has to do with the charge on the Ca and Mg both are 2+ charge. if memory serves me correct from chemistry class.
    Ah. Yes, that makes sense. And I do believe you are right.

★☆★★☆
    "MRS tAkin ova?"
    ★☆★★☆

Ah. Yes, that makes sense. And I do believe you are right.
    which is why it never made sense to take cal/mag supplements to me, with both having the same charge. so i am going to have to pull out my nutritional biochemistry book on this one.
    www.RDFinders.com

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam greyhair's Avatar
    greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000)
    Close to my first thought: Electrolyte imbalance/hydration.
    Could try something like Gatorade during the w/o. Seems to help my son with similar problems.
    But those who fight for right must remember St. Augustine's sage words,
    "right is right even if no one is doing it...and wrong is wrong even if every one is doing it!"
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------
    God, Duty, Honour, Country

actually,what i wrote earlier about oxygen insufficiency is the probable cause:
    Consuming foods or beverages containing Lactic Acid is another acidifying strategy to reduce muscle cramps when working out, despite the buildup of lactic acid in muscle tissue during strenuous exercise being actually a common cause of muscle spasms or cramps. This happens from insufficient oxygen not being able to oxidize lactic acid, which would otherwise get rid of it from muscle. Inosine and Creatin supplements also help to reduce the buildup of lactic acid in muscle.

As exercise tolerance increases from repeated training, it takes increasingly longer before lactic acid is produced in muscle, so there is less of a chance of muscle cramps to develop. Lactic acid is found in a number of foods and beverages, and it is also commercially added to increase their acidity (olives, sauerkraut, cheese, beer, soft drinks, pickles...). Lactic acid-containing drinks can serve as a valuable fluid replacement for athletes before, during, and after competitive training and exercise.

you can use lactic acid containing food to lessen the problem.
    www.RDFinders.com

actually,what i wrote earlier about oxygen insufficiency is the probable cause:
    ... Lactic acid-containing drinks can serve as a valuable fluid replacement for athletes before, during, and after competitive training and exercise.

you can use lactic acid containing food to lessen the problem.
    My focus a few months back was to get smart about recovery and this is the opposite of what I have been reading.

As opposed to getting "up" for training, I am trying to max out post recovery -- eg. following Christian Thibaudeau's PWO protocol: Glycine 20g, Vit C 1000mg, and phosphatidyl serine 400mg (to lower cortisol).

And advice form Waterbury to get your alkalizers, such as, Greens+ mixed with your whey shakes and Raisins PWO for fast absorbing carbs and as an alkalizer.

For those of us who do not believe "a calorie is a calorie" relying more veggies for your carbs is ideal for a flat stomach, while also helping with the acidotic foods we typically ingest.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/bases.htm

Also see the discussion in "150 healthiest foods" p.227 regarding these "greens+" type of drinks.

I know it's a debated subject with some saying that just by breathing we keep our Ph in check. Way to simple of a statement! While that may keep us alive, it's obvious to me that since those in renal failure are in a constant state of acidosis and inflammation that the respiratory system is not "all that". I'm an older lifter and recovery has to be optimized =D

Originally Posted by thruxton View Post
    My focus a few months back was to get smart about recovery and this is the opposite of what I have been reading.

As opposed to getting "up" for training, I am trying to max out post recovery -- eg. following Christian Thibaudeau's PWO protocol: Glycine 20g, Vit C 1000mg, and phosphatidyl serine 400mg (to lower cortisol).

And advice form Waterbury to get your alkalizers, such as, Greens+ mixed with your whey shakes and Raisins PWO for fast absorbing carbs and as an alkalizer.

For those of us who do not believe "a calorie is a calorie" relying more veggies for your carbs is ideal for a flat stomach, while also helping with the acidotic foods we typically ingest.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/bases.htm

Also see the discussion in "150 healthiest foods" p.227 regarding these "greens+" type of drinks.

I know it's a debated subject with some saying that just by breathing we keep our Ph in check. Way to simple of a statement! While that may keep us alive, it's obvious to me that since those in renal failure are in a constant state of acidosis and inflammation that the respiratory system is not "all that". I'm an older lifter and recovery has to be optimized =D
    i was reading through my book and looking at the comments on vit C as a buffer for lactic acid and as a cofactor for calcium usage. also it went into the side of the body the tremors were happening - right side calcium def, left side magnesium def. and if treating the tremors with the associated mineral did not clear up the tremors, you could reverse the therapy. it is very interesting reading i must add.

in texas where it gets really hot, esp during the summer, i often recommend inc the sodium intake of the diet. but that is a regional thing and also if you are working out outside or in extreme temps.
    www.RDFinders.com