Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Recommended supplements for a 50year old?

So my father has decided to get back on track in the gym. I couldn't really find any useful articles in the main page. Anyways, besides a solid diet and good training, what sort of supplements should I advice my father? Any specific brands and products would help, too.

Thanks in advance.

Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    A protein powder would be a good idea (they are taken usually post-workout). Alot of people here like Optimum Nutrition's whey protein, but there are TONS out there.

Honestly, I can't recommend anything else. No matter what anybody says, alot of non-food supplements can put stress on the body and what will assuredly not affect someone in their 20s might cause some issues in an older body.
    Disclaimer: The above statments represent my own opinion. The above statements do not constitute medical advice.

powerlifting and stuff Big.Jazayrli's Avatar
    Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    DHEA would probably be helpful, as you get older it tends to decline in quantity present in the body
    Picking things up and putting them down since '09

Huggy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Huggy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Huggy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Huggy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Pulits View Post
    So my father has decided to get back on track in the gym. I couldn't really find any useful articles in the main page. Anyways, besides a solid diet and good training, what sort of supplements should I advice my father? Any specific brands and products would help, too.

Thanks in advance.
    Well, really find out what his goals are. But yes, P Shakes and a good multi. I would 100% also reco a fish oil and a lot of water too.
    I want to put up a billion pounds

Maiden69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maiden69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maiden69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maiden69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maiden69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maiden69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maiden69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maiden69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maiden69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maiden69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maiden69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Universal Pak, Omega and Flex... Getting where your old man is right now and those are my staples. Once he get going he can add other supplements. A proteing shake is always good to add extra protein to the diet.
    Universal "AWO" Log (Sponsored) (Finished)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111015711

Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some sort of joint support. We young people have painful joint which only seem to get worse with age =\
    πŸŽ„β›„πŸŽ„InπŸŽ„β›„πŸŽ„

scsc is just really nice. (+1000) scsc is just really nice. (+1000) scsc is just really nice. (+1000) scsc is just really nice. (+1000) scsc is just really nice. (+1000) scsc is just really nice. (+1000) scsc is just really nice. (+1000) scsc is just really nice. (+1000) scsc is just really nice. (+1000) scsc is just really nice. (+1000) scsc is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Pulits View Post

Thanks in advance.
    I turned 50 years old in Feb. I am 6' 3", and weigh 320 lbs. I celebrated by squatting 500 lbs., 10 times my age. I was low too, because the kids who are "coaching" me are national level lifters at LA Tech, and they don't let me slide just because I am old. I hit 600 two weeks ago, and am now working on 650. I never used a belt or wrapped. Now I do.

In answer to your question. I have a good wife who takes care of my diet. I use a multi-vitamin, calcium, glucosomine and chondriotin, fish oil, vitamin C. I get these at Costco or Sam's Club, or whatever is on sale at BB.com. I take ZMA at bedtime.

I like a protein shake first thing in the morning, and right after I lift. I use 100% Whey Protein from Optimum Nutrition, and add glutamine and creatine. Higher Power creatine and glutamine from BB.com have proven to be great values.

Right before I work out, I take some White Flood. I have tried many NO products, and like them, but I like White Flood best. I add creatine, glutamine, and beta-alanine to my pre-workout drink. The beta-alanine from Now Sports has proven to be a good value, once again, found here on BB.com. I sometimes use an asprin and an advil to. This makes a CAE stack with the caffeine in the white flood.

Recovery and Pain are two things an old guy really has to work at managing. After a heavy squat day, sometimes I am not fully recovered for three or four days. I usually work chest after legs, then back and shoulders, and then I do just an arm day so that I have plenty of time in between leg days. I only work heavy on legs, once a week.

Anyhow, best wishes to your father. My best workouts were always with my boys.

ncjhak23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncjhak23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncjhak23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncjhak23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncjhak23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncjhak23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncjhak23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncjhak23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncjhak23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncjhak23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncjhak23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd say definitely a multi and protein powder. I'd make it isolate because it's easier on the stomach. Then for his joints, something with glucosamine is great. Post above me sounds right on. I doubt the average dad will be lifting at those weights though.

Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pulits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow, thanks everyone for the replies, I really appreciate them.

Teach Me How to Dougie asianstyles's Avatar
    asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) asianstyles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Definitely fish oil. Its a supplement that benefits ALL people, not just those who are working out.
    Not affiliated

AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm 49 and I'm building back up from a health crisis a couple months ago. I've found Blue Gene and Orange Triad from Controlled Labs to fit well for an older lifter. I also take fish oil, exta vitamin C I got at Costco and whey protein after lifting.

I hope this helps.

Good luck to you and your dad.
    Last edited by AKMass; 04-26-2009 at 12:05 PM.

andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    def get a good joint supp + multi and some fish oil, i'd go with orange triad from CL..it will take him longer to recover from workout..some glutamine/creatine added to his PW shake might help
    Last edited by andrewwww; 04-26-2009 at 10:11 AM.
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/photos/view-user-photos/158620