Closed Thread
Page 11 of 85 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast
    ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Just snagged a great deal on a used Ibanez AR300.
    Almost identical to the guitar i played in HS and college and mistakenly sold when I was broke in So Cal.
    Same color, just this one has the flame top.

lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    Just snagged a great deal on a used Ibanez AR300.
    Almost identical to the guitar i played in HS and college and mistakenly sold when I was broke in So Cal.
    Same color, just this one has the flame top.

Nice looking axe. You planning on modding it at all? If so, I cannot recommend more the Duncan Jazz/JB combo.
    Philadelphia Flyers

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by euclid View Post
    Nice looking axe. You planning on modding it at all? If so, I cannot recommend more the Duncan Jazz/JB combo.
    I'm not a fan of the Jazz/JB combo, had them in my Jackson for a week and pulled them in favor of EMG 81's. I'd go with a DuncDist and '59 like I have in the other Jackson, more my taste. (Dimarz dist and PAF Pro)
    I will probably keep it stock, the HB's in these are usually hot enough for rock but cool enough for clean.
    Last edited by ctgblue; 01-20-2010 at 06:28 AM.
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.

euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm not a fan of the Jazz/JB combo, had them in my Jackson for a week and pulled them in favor of EMG 81's. I'd go with a DuncDist and '59 like I have in the other Jackson, more my taste.
    I will probably keep it stock, the HB's in these are usually hot enough for rock but cool enough for clean.
    Ahh, I gotcha. What kind of music do you typically play? I've noticed that pickup response is highly dependent on the guitar. For instance, I love the sound of the Jazz/JB in my LP, but I played and Ibanez with the same setup and it sounded THIN. I mean, horribly tinny and just bad.

I have an Ibanez RG570 that has an insanely fast neck (wizard profile) and I'm contemplating a pickup change in it. Right now I have a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and I hate it - it's thin sounding. Looking for basically a balls out Death Metal rig. Any suggestions? I'm seriously thinking about the EMG 81's - Lots of pinch harmonics out of those babies.
    Philadelphia Flyers

Ahh, I gotcha. What kind of music do you typically play? I've noticed that pickup response is highly dependent on the guitar. For instance, I love the sound of the Jazz/JB in my LP, but I played and Ibanez with the same setup and it sounded THIN. I mean, horribly tinny and just bad.

I have an Ibanez RG570 that has an insanely fast neck (wizard profile) and I'm contemplating a pickup change in it. Right now I have a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and I hate it - it's thin sounding. Looking for basically a balls out Death Metal rig. Any suggestions? I'm seriously thinking about the EMG 81's - Lots of pinch harmonics out of those babies.
    A lot of guys use an EMG 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck, I just went with 81's.
    The nice thing about them is that they are a 'high output' pickup, but not a distortion pickup.
    So they will drive the front end of the amp harder than some passvie pu's, but you can roll back and they clean right up.
    My Jacksons are the DR-5 model Jap Pro series, so the neck is almost identical to yours, wicked fast, and the bodies are similar. The Dimarzio Super Dist and PAF Pro setup works great in one of them, I have it tuned a half step down with 10-52's on it, and it is really thick sounding.
    If you wanted 'hot as hell' there are always the Duncan Invaders, the Bill Lawrence Dimes and the Duncan Live Wires (which I had in the Dean Mustaine I just sold)

I had an Epi LP custom and put Duncan Full Shreds in there and really liked the sound.

I cannot afford to do anything to this one yet, the one I had in college was hot enough for the Judas Priest, Ratt, and Dokken covers we played. So I'm going to give it time.
    Last edited by ctgblue; 01-21-2010 at 10:15 AM.
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

luciddelusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would go with the "Seth Lover's" vintage alnico magnets for that classic tone.
    Billy Bedlam
    www.myspace.com/luciddelusionrocks

AlanRay81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I play both the Bass and Guitar. Here is a list of my gear:

Yamaha Strat w/Bridge Humbucker, Austin "Les Paul", Dean ML Phantom X, Squier Supersonic, BC Rich Warlock (Bronze Series), Rogue 5-String Bass, Squier 4-String Jazz Bass and a Peavy 15w guitar combo amp.

nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ctg, everyone else I'm finally back.

I've recently bought a Garrison G-20C acoustic. The company was bought and terminated by Gibson, I bought it used and this guitar features an entire fibre-glass bracing which is not found in the new models. Also has the buzz feiten tuning system which is really neat.

I'm getting it re set up this weekend b/c the action is super high on it (also need to buy a humidifer for it).

But just recently I found an ad for a Ovation Celebrity CS257 selling for 350 (used).

What is your opinion on this guitar? I'm not to familiar with Ovation guitars, although I have played the entry level ones and they are quite nice. This features the multi hole, which I think is only found in the high end models (currently, maybe not in the past?).
    Ball-Worthy [bawl-wur-thee]
    -adjective

1) Something so epic you would sacrifice a testicle to get your hands on it:

-nano's journal is ball-worthy;
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117646471

-nano's guitar
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124088321

This is the Model Ovation I like best
    A little more muted accoustically because of no big sound hole, but still loud enough to be heard with other accoustics
    After a show in Nashville one day, we jammed on the street with some guys and I was playing one of these, very fast neck for an accoustic.
    If they are asking $350 used, it needs to be really clean.
    They are very 'roadworthy' due to the fiberglass backs
    I am not sure, but this may be the thin body, which I really like
    Either way, I think these are excellent guitars for the money
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This is the Model Ovation I like best
    A little more muted accoustically because of no big sound hole, but still loud enough to be heard with other accoustics
    After a show in Nashville one day, we jammed on the street with some guys and I was playing one of these, very fast neck for an accoustic.
    If they are asking $350 used, it needs to be really clean.
    They are very 'roadworthy' due to the fiberglass backs
    I am not sure, but this may be the thin body, which I really like
    Either way, I think these are excellent guitars for the money
    Sounds good I'll check it out then. After I set my my g-20 this guitar is going to rock!

-Looks like I was had with this Garrison deal. Going to cost upwards of 300$ to fix which neglects any lutheire work that is needed (neck is parting).

It sounds so beautiful ... and I just don't know much about buying guitars to notice these things. Damn me I'm just a simple guitarist.
    Last edited by nano.ix; 01-29-2010 at 11:10 AM.
    -adjective

-nano's guitar

kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    hello everyone, I have a quick question. What's a good amp around 60 watts thats not ridiculously expensive? I'm not trying to drop 400 bucks right now. I'd even go used. Something in the 150-200 dollar range. Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by kenfowler View Post
    hello everyone, I have a quick question. What's a good amp around 60 watts thats not ridiculously expensive? I'm not trying to drop 400 bucks right now. I'd even go used. Something in the 150-200 dollar range. Thanks guys.
    I would recommend a roland cube if they are still good for that price range. That price can't get you to much if my amp knowledge is up to date.

Sure Mindripper and cgt will be able to give you sound advice thoguh.
    -adjective

-nano's guitar

DTay47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DTay47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DTay47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DTay47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DTay47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DTay47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DTay47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DTay47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DTay47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DTay47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DTay47 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why does it need to be 60 watts?
    If you mean 60 TUBE watts... I doubt you TRULY need that much. And you can't get one for that price....
    60 SOLID STATE watts, ehn, like someone said, Roland Cube could would, or a peavey vypyr... stay away from MG's and Spiders. Just don't bother.

kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenfowler is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It doesn't have to be 60 watts. I'm not talking tube either, tube amps are way out of my price range. I just need something that could play a small gig somewhere, and 60 watts seems just about right. But I'm definitely open to your guys' opinions.

Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It doesn't have to be 60 watts. I'm not talking tube either, tube amps are way out of my price range. I just need something that could play a small gig somewhere, and 60 watts seems just about right. But I'm definitely open to your guys' opinions.
    Roland Cube or Peavey Vypre are good bets. If you can have a full band practice with it; its loud enough for a gig.

What genre of music do you like to play?
    Semper Fi

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies...

Well I think Peavy ValveKing is the entry valve amp market. You can try them out as they get mix reviews, but I doubt 60w is really needed.
    -adjective

-nano's guitar

Depending on the style of music this guy likes, my 5w Fender Champ w/Weber speaker is plenty loud for a small bar. I am continually amazed at how loud that SOB is.
    Philadelphia Flyers

Thanks for the replies guys. I like playing different types of rock anything from Taking Back Sunday -->Brand New-->Metallica. I found a Peavey 112 on Craigslist in my area for 150$. Thinking about checking it out. Sound like a decent deal? The dude said it's about six years old and is in great working condition with a couple minor scratches.

Thanks for the replies guys. I like playing different types of rock anything from Taking Back Sunday -->Brand New-->Metallica. I found a Peavey 112 on Craigslist in my area for 150$. Thinking about checking it out. Sound like a decent deal? The dude said it's about six years old and is in great working condition with a couple minor scratches.
    112 ValveKing or 112 Bandit?

Either way, it's not a bad price if the tubes are new. Make sure of that, then make sure you like the sounds.
    -adjective

-nano's guitar

And this just posted. Peavey 212 for 250. I think I can get em down to 200$, apparently it looks brand new.....

fvelez2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

valveking

I enjoyed playing a valveking, but couldnt afford one. I do however prefer the 6505+. best amp ive used to date.

Okay, I just got a peavey valveking 100 watt 212 tube combo.
    Really enjoying it.

Anyone tried the new Digitech RP1000, with the stomp loop feature to be able to bypass your amps preamp?
    Thinking of swapping out the GNX3 for one.

why can't i fit more word snooter511's Avatar
    snooter511 is a name known to all. (+5000) snooter511 is a name known to all. (+5000) snooter511 is a name known to all. (+5000) snooter511 is a name known to all. (+5000) snooter511 is a name known to all. (+5000) snooter511 is a name known to all. (+5000) snooter511 is a name known to all. (+5000) snooter511 is a name known to all. (+5000) snooter511 is a name known to all. (+5000) snooter511 is a name known to all. (+5000) snooter511 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by wickedsensation View Post
    Hahaha, I have a feeling that this thread will turn into just you, me, and mindripper talking about gear.

Anyway, I dunno about Digitech. I had an old RP100 years ago when they first came out, and it totally broke on me in like a week, haha. I'm not sure what happened, but I never bought Digitech stuff again.

If I'm gonng use effects, then I just let the sound man do the work, but I know not everyone is playing shows, so yeah. Pedals are cool, but a million different things can go wrong with them.

If I were you, I'd get like a rocktron intelliflex for effects and put it in the effects loop of your valve king.

Most of that "true bypass" stuff never really works, and always ends up sucking the tone from the front of the amp.

Sometimes, getting new gear doesn't really sound better than the current gear you have. If it's not broken, then why fix it, haha?
    FFFFUUUU, how long has this been sticky'd. Been playing since I was 11. Had a mesa boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 2x12 (100 Watt), That was my baby for five years. Lost it in a flood I swear I almost cried. Now I just play my iBanez j100 through my Crate GFX 212 (120 watt). The last few years I've played a ton of acoustic as well have an Epiphone PR200 which I picked up used for like $250, it has a very bright sound when playing with extra lights.

What do you guys play as far as strings? I'm in love with any thin elixir myself.
    "Most people's deaths are a sham. There's nothing left to die."- Charles Bukowski

"If the history of science teaches us anything, it is that what conquers our ignorance is research, not giving up and attributing our ignorance to the miraculous work of a creator."

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
    ★★Traditional Wet Shaving Crew ★★
    ★★★★★Foot Fetish Crew★★★★★★
    ★★★★★Misc Scotch Crew★★★★★★

Chicagoan Crew: Bears, White Sox, Bulls, Hawks

I NEG 9/11 TRUTHERS ON SIGHT.

Originally Posted by snooter511 View Post
    FFFFUUUU, how long has this been sticky'd. Been playing since I was 11. Had a mesa boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 2x12 (100 Watt), That was my baby for five years. Lost it in a flood I swear I almost cried. Now I just play my iBanez j100 through my Crate GFX 212 (120 watt). The last few years I've played a ton of acoustic as well have an Epiphone PR200 which I picked up used for like $250, it has a very bright sound when playing with extra lights.

What do you guys play as far as strings? I'm in love with any thin elixir myself.
    I still have a ValveKing 112 back home that hasn't been touched in 4 years, along with a body of a modded epi LP goth [yes only the body now]. Haven't played an electric in 4 years, I'm all acoustic now. That epi isn't a bad entry/cheapo, but I feel you were jacked on the price.

I play light's on my Garrison, and 13's [medium?] on my A&L. On my electric I used 12's Boomers I think .. or GHS?

Anyways, I don't know much about strings, I've only used Martins for acoustic. One time I tried out the black coated 12's [for elec] - they looked cool, but they already came with a dull sound, worked well for the little jazz work I did then though.
    -adjective

-nano's guitar

im here for the bukkake garbazio's Avatar
    garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000)
    anyone got reccomendations for Seagull acoustics? im thinking of getting the S6 model.
    bitches love my hair

Originally Posted by OgMudbone View Post
    anyone got reccomendations for Seagull acoustics? im thinking of getting the S6 model.
    What do you want to know about them exactly? Seagull's have nice low/mod ranged acoustics. S6 is nice, have you looked into other guitars though?
    -adjective

-nano's guitar

im here for the bukkake garbazio's Avatar
    garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by nano.ix View Post
    What do you want to know about them exactly? Seagull's have nice low/mod ranged acoustics. S6 is nice, have you looked into other guitars though?
    not really, someone reccomended it to me, im a noob with guitars
    bitches love my hair

OG check PM.

cgt, did you mod your ValveKing? I was on UG today and saw a thread dedicated to VK mods, apparently these mods [cheap to expensive, easy to complex] make the amp so much better. You should check it out. Hell looking over that thread really wants me to get back my electric.

Might have to bring them to school in the summer when I get my house and start modding again
    -adjective

-nano's guitar

I got rid of my valveking 212, which was a mistake.
    The Traynor I got was great, but the 1x12 did not do it for me.
    I now have a Carvin V3212, which I am STILL tweaking with to get exactly what I want out of it.

The guy who bought the valveking is now selling his DR Z, as the VK sounds better.
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Are any of you guys using attenuators?

I live in an old row home and keep all my music gear in the basement. However, even at a low to moderate volume, the sound travels right through the walls. I do a lot of riff recording and noodling around and always seem to get inspired when the amp is naturally overdriven and singing. I'd like to be able to get that effect but at a lower volume.

I'm specifically interested in attenuation for my Fender Blues Deluxe and Champ.
    Philadelphia Flyers

I got rid of my valveking 212, which was a mistake.
    The Traynor I got was great, but the 1x12 did not do it for me.
    I now have a Carvin V3212, which I am STILL tweaking with to get exactly what I want out of it.

The guy who bought the valveking is now selling his DR Z, as the VK sounds better.
    Wow, I heard most people don't like their VK stock. I can't quite comment b/c it's been years since I touched mine, still thought I think it's the best valued amp you could ever buy.

Ever plan on buying one again?

Are any of you guys using attenuators?

I live in an old row home and keep all my music gear in the basement. However, even at a low to moderate volume, the sound travels right through the walls. I do a lot of riff recording and noodling around and always seem to get inspired when the amp is naturally overdriven and singing. I'd like to be able to get that effect but at a lower volume.

I'm specifically interested in attenuation for my Fender Blues Deluxe and Champ.
    Attenuators are expensive (200++) and it all depends on your amp really. You're using a value amp obviously and you need it cranked to get that hot valve tone ... A volume pedal could be a cheaper - although less effective - alternative. But, if you say at low/mod the sounds travels ... then an attenuator won't stop that, it'll just give you the tone you want at the low/mod levels.
    -adjective

-nano's guitar