dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How much calorie deficit is reasonable?

I'm about 5 8" 185 lbs 17%bf
    According to an average of most BMR calculators I need app. 2500 Kcal/day
    This includes my cardio/weight training.
    I eat Eggs, lean chicken breast and beef, and protein shakes (in water)
    These are spread out throughout the day, about 6-7 meals.
    I take in about 1400 Kcal, over 60% from protein. about 200g
    I work out & do Low intensity cardio every day.
    My question is, how much of a calorie deficit is too much while getting in adequate protein?

Thanks in advance : )

NCSPirate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Most people would recommend a 500 to 1000 deficit.

1400 sounds a bit low to me, personally.

euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dexter_586 View Post
    My question is, how much of a calorie deficit is too much while getting in adequate protein?

1400 is way too low. For comparison, I weigh 205.5 @ 18% bf and I am losing weight consistently on 2500-2700 calories a day. If I were you, I'd up the calories to around 2000-2100 and see what happens in two weeks.

SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50)

You have to remember you are talking about net calories. If you are only eating 1400 and you work out, you're at less than 1400. You need to account for your workouts as well. So if your goal is 1400 for the day and you burn 500, you need to eat 1900 for the day. Aso, 1400 seems low to me as well, get tested, find out for sure.

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Try it out, don't listen to all the BS that xxxx calories is too low. Trial and error is what it's about. I will say that it's best to adjust to lower caloric intakes over time but I'm never set on some specific number and I never recommend one either. Just keep your protein intake proper and reduce intake until you obtain the rate of weight loss desired. If I told you 1400 calories was too low I'd be guessing, there's no way for me to know how efficient your metabolism is, if you have thyroid issues, if you work out(even if you tell me you do), the intensity of your work outs, how much you eat exactly in calories, basically, there's too many factors involved for me to say that xxxx calories is too low or too high. This is why it's best to adjust until you see the progress you desire. I will say this much, if you were consuming too little calories you would lose strength fairly quick and know it.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dexter_586 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by th3pwn3r View Post
    Try it out, don't listen to all the BS that xxxx calories is too low. Trial and error is what it's about. I will say that it's best to adjust to lower caloric intakes over time but I'm never set on some specific number and I never recommend one either. Just keep your protein intake proper and reduce intake until you obtain the rate of weight loss desired. If I told you 1400 calories was too low I'd be guessing, there's no way for me to know how efficient your metabolism is, if you have thyroid issues, if you work out(even if you tell me you do), the intensity of your work outs, how much you eat exactly in calories, basically, there's too many factors involved for me to say that xxxx calories is too low or too high. This is why it's best to adjust until you see the progress you desire. I will say this much, if you were consuming too little calories you would lose strength fairly quick and know it.
    I agree, my strength is the same if not better, i usually only do heavy weight-low reps. As for metabolism I think 1400 is reasonable, im wondering whether or not I will lose muscle more quickly, even though i'm still getting more than enough protein.

Originally Posted by SocratesTX View Post
    You have to remember you are talking about net calories. If you are only eating 1400 and you work out, you're at less than 1400. You need to account for your workouts as well. So if your goal is 1400 for the day and you burn 500, you need to eat 1900 for the day. Aso, 1400 seems low to me as well, get tested, find out for sure.
    I already included that,,, I said I require 2500 including my workout/cardio

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I agree, my strength is the same if not better, i usually only do heavy weight-low reps. As for metabolism I think 1400 is reasonable, im wondering whether or not I will lose muscle more quickly, even though i'm still getting more than enough protein.

I already included that,,, I said I require 2500 including my workout/cardio
    If you're concerned about losing muscle mass then lose weight at a slower rate. I wouldn't lose more than 2 pounds a week if you're very concerned with losing muscle mass but it depends on the size of the individual. Some people are just fine losing fat at faster rates but that requires an even greater caloric deficit.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

If you're concerned about losing muscle mass then lose weight at a slower rate. I wouldn't lose more than 2 pounds a week if you're very concerned with losing muscle mass but it depends on the size of the individual. Some people are just fine losing fat at faster rates but that requires an even greater caloric deficit.
    ive gained about 30lbs on my clean bulk which didn't change my body fat percent at all, over 15 weeks. So I want to lose as little muscle as possible.
    So is a 1000Kcal deficit too much?

ive gained about 30lbs on my clean bulk which didn't change my body fat percent at all, over 15 weeks. So I want to lose as little muscle as possible.
    So is a 1000Kcal deficit too much?
    Well, like I've said it's all about trial and error and no two people are the same. Assuming strength stays the same and you don't see a visible loss in muscle I'd say it's alright. Although most people would flip out on this forum I consume roughly 1200-1300 calories a day and perform with great strength and no loss in muscle mass day to day. You're just going to have to try it out and see how you feel though.

The following was a bad week for me haha but it was a HUGE mathematical error on my part that caused it and I noticed it by Thursday:

Week of March 29th through April 3rd

Sunday 6 protein shakes
    Monday 2 chicken quarters (skinless and fatless), 3 shakes
    Tuesday 2 chicken quarters (skinless and fatless), 3 shakes
    Wednesday 2 chicken quarters(skinless and fatless), 3 shakes
    Thursday 2 chicken quarters(skinless and fatless), 3 shakes
    Friday 2 chicken quarters(skinless and fatless), 3 shakes

Notes
    Seems as if bench strength has gone down, other than this lifts and strength seems consistent. Also did 2 hours of cardio on Monday creating a large deficit for the week and on Thursday did lots of bike riding(even with a flat tire) creating an even greater deficit.

Friday on bench I had some trouble as opposed to normal when benching 250 for 2 reps, this must be due to the lack of calories for the week(600 a day average)

This was definitely too low of calories for me and I knew it but I noted the effects.

lol 6 protein shakes, thats like 700 kcal. if in water.

well I guess i'l just see what happens, the thing is if you look in the mirror twice a day it's really hard to notice slight changes.

Thanks again.

S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Nail on the head

Too many people have the correct answer for you and everyone's will be completely different. That's because we're all different in our body's make-up (so to speak).

As th3pawn3r has already said it's a personal trial and error.

Stick at the rate you've suggested and then guage it after 2 to 3 weeks and see where you are. Do the normal body measurements, scales and photos to see the results for comparison. If you don't lose then slightly reduce your daily intake and if you lose too much then increase slightly.

You could take it one step further and calculate your weekly calorie intake and then reduce the calories slightly for 6 days and have a bit of a cheat day on the 7th so your weekly intake total is the same.

Originally Posted by S1FU View Post
    Nail on the head

Too many people have the correct answer for you and everyone's will be completely different. That's because we're all different in our body's make-up (so to speak).

As th3pawn3r has already said it's a personal trial and error.

Stick at the rate you've suggested and then guage it after 2 to 3 weeks and see where you are. Do the normal body measurements, scales and photos to see the results for comparison. If you don't lose then slightly reduce your daily intake and if you lose too much then increase slightly.

You could take it one step further and calculate your weekly calorie intake and then reduce the calories slightly for 6 days and have a bit of a cheat day on the 7th so your weekly intake total is the same.
    Although that does sound good, I prefer not to have a cheat meals/days because they always throw me off track, plus chances are if I were to have a cheat meal it would be 12 ounces of whiskey lol, then I have to deal with the hangover too !

S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10) S1FU is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking

Lol fair one. I didn't have a cheat day on the first month, but (personal choice of course) I have one to make my strict weekly intake feel more worth-while. The downside is that I then want to have my cheat day every day moving forward.

Originally Posted by S1FU View Post
    Lol fair one. I didn't have a cheat day on the first month, but (personal choice of course) I have one to make my strict weekly intake feel more worth-while. The downside is that I then want to have my cheat day every day moving forward.
    Yep but that cheat day seems to restore sanity for me and it feels great to eat like a "normal" person doesn't it? Not only that but it provides a spike in metabolism and keeps your body guessing. I'm not a big fan of carrying extra weight from the increased carbohydrate consumption though.

Uber_Dad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Uber_Dad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Uber_Dad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Uber_Dad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Uber_Dad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Uber_Dad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Uber_Dad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Uber_Dad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Uber_Dad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Uber_Dad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Uber_Dad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I agree try the 1000 cal, I have and it was too much for me, just makes you feel bad. I would definitely recommend less of cut and shoot for 0.5 - 2 pounds a week.

Lotsa small meals, lotsa protein, FTW!
    ---Chicago Crew---
    ♒Morning_Workout_Crew♒

Originally Posted by Uber_Dad View Post
    I agree try the 1000 cal, I have and it was too much for me, just makes you feel bad. I would definitely recommend less of cut and shoot for 0.5 - 2 pounds a week.

Lotsa small meals, lotsa protein, FTW!
    Agreed on the protein, the "lotsa small meals" is irrelevant.

Yep but that cheat day seems to restore sanity for me and it feels great to eat like a "normal" person doesn't it? Not only that but it provides a spike in metabolism and keeps your body guessing. I'm not a big fan of carrying extra weight from the increased carbohydrate consumption though.
    Yeah it does feel great. It's not really a cheat day it's just an eat "normal" day for everyone else. Wouldn't and couldn't survive without it.