Page 195 of 214 FirstFirst ... 95 145 185 193 194 195 196 197 205 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,850 of 6402
    euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by thepainter5 View Post
    Are you taking the time to stretch after each run to help stay loose?

Are you taking the time to do dynamic stretching before you run?

Have you upped your carbs to provide for all of the added running mileage?

Remember that what worked for you while riding doesn't translate into running. You burn twice the energy in half the distance while running. You need to fuel and adjust training technique. Also, throw in an extra rest day when needed, that isn't a problem unless it is every other day.

When I start upping my mileage, my wife starts making large lasagnas twice a week. When you are going to have a long run on a hot day throw in a banana split for a treat and the readily available sugar. My wife thought I was crazy but I had such a good run later.

You should also look at electrolyte/carb drinks for while you are running. You are going to need to learn all of these tricks and more between now and your 100 mile run.

Do know what Ultra Runners call a marathon? A warm up.
    I am trying to stretch at least once a day, usually after a run. Don't have any dynamic stretching in yet.

I know there is going to be a lot to learn over the next few months in regards to nutrition, hydration, rest and so forth, I'm counting on y'all to be there..

Taking in a lot of carbs, but still have been more on a protein focused diet thats slowly changing though. Rest every other day, I was hoping run 1 rest 4 right now I'm getting runs in Tue, Wed, Thurs and longer runs Sat and Sun. I've got a couple more weeks to get a decent base going before really hitting the 24 week ultra training, that I can already tell is going to be gruelling. Not sure how I will get all the necessary running in during the later weeks of the program when mileage is 120+ a week.. while working 10-12 hours a day and having a family of 4.. As it was on Tuesday I didn't get home till 8 then cubscouts with the kids it was 10:30 before I could start running, put an hour in then had to be back up at 4:30 for work Wednesday time to look for another job?? or put the kids to work
    ***kneedraggers crew***

Will rep back 98% of the time

euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) euronewbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    forgot to mention took a long lunch today and headed to the local pool (paid the $15 daily fee) for a quick 10 minute very gentle swim to get the blood flowing then a nice 20 mins soak in the hot tub, legs feel a lot better.
    ***kneedraggers crew***

Quitting is not an option thepainter5's Avatar
    thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The dynamic stretching is so basic that it seems too easy. Before heading out do 3 sets of body weight squats (deep knee bends as low as possible, hands held out front, parallel to ground, raise up on ankles at top), the first set slow and deliberate. Speed up the next 2 sets. Do 20 - 40 each set and by the end your lungs will already be engaged. Do some body weight good mornings to warm up lower back and finish with some simple jumping jacks to get shoulders/arms into the mix. All in all it adds 5-10 minutes depending on how much you do. It really makes a difference on how your runs starts off which helps set your mind to doing the work.

Are you following a set running program right now, such as for a half or full marathon? Hal Higdon has good ones http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51...aining-Program and more are available from this link.

As you take in more carbs I don't suggest short changing your protein intake. I take in as much protein when I focus on running and even more if I am still lifting. Because of all of the time required for training I economise time in prepping/eating and drink a high percentage of quality whey isolate. I'm not willing to sacrifice muscle when training for long distance races.

As mentioned before, this may have been your wife's plan to collect on your life insurance as you definitely have a full plate to be taking on this task. Perhaps you need to get the kids on bikes with lights and suspend bedtimes so they can keep you company as you run. I'm rooting for you and I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Right now I am using an amalgamation of training plans, I've somewhat combined about 5 different plans into the best schedule that I think will work for me. So we'll see how that works out, most of the weeks its a short to medium distance 3 days in a row followed by 2 days of long runs back to back. As it progresses it moves to a Tuesday Wednesday medium run and Fri, Sat, Sun long runs getting progressively longer each day so Friday say 15 miles, Saturday 20 miles and Sunday 30 miles. Building to 45, 55, 75 miles... the week prior to the Ultra..Yikes!!!!!!!

Yes I am still not exactly sure what the wife was thinking on this, we actually have a couple of friends that signed up for it as well, but they are already only planning on doing marathon distance, my thoughg is if I'm signed up I'm doing the whole thing, doing a lesser distance hasn't even crossed my mind, in fact I'm shooting to hit over 100 in the 24 hour time limit, last years winner hit 109, and he was 1 of 4 that actually completed the 100.

So I got through my short 6 miles yesterday, that puts me at 21 miles so far this week, rest today and 8 on Saturday will but me 1 mile ahead of plan this week. One more week at this weekly mileage then it really kicks into gear.

Actually I have been utilizing the kids quite a lot, when running our neighborhood I have one run 2 laps with me while the other bikes, then they switch up and the last two they are both on bikes that puts me at about 5 miles. Last night I ran a local greenway and took them both out on their bikes they enjoyed it, its along a riverbank so they saw all sorts of cool stuff and had a blast, now I just have to keep them into it as much as I have to keep myself into it.

Thanks for the support, I'm sure y'all will get tired of my posts as the months draw on.
    ***kneedraggers crew***

D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Haven't checked in for a while. Ran my 3rd half marathon a few weeks ago, 1:29:55, had a chance to PR, but ran a hilly 16 miler the week before, bad idea. Still managed 3rd in my AG tho, pretty happy with that.

Also got my first sub-20 5k this past Saturday, 19:29, 3rd place AG again, 9th overall out of 298 runners.

Euronewbie, did I read that right, you're going to do 45/55/75 mile long runs the week before a 100 mile ultra? What kind of plan is this?
    -Dave

"To those who dare to jump into the void...
    you owe no explanation to those who stand by and watch"

BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice work. I must admit running has taken a back seat for me lately - my mother's passing has interfered with it somewhat but I've been going to the gym a fair bit. Running just seems less appealing at the moment, somehow. I'll get back to it when I'm ready.
    Current log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149169243

Now cutting!

JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I haven't felt like running lately either. I'm barely getting one day a week but the great thing about running is it will always be there.

D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50) D3D will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Balham, I'm sorry for your loss.
    -Dave

Originally Posted by D3D View Post
    Haven't checked in for a while. Ran my 3rd half marathon a few weeks ago, 1:29:55, had a chance to PR, but ran a hilly 16 miler the week before, bad idea. Still managed 3rd in my AG tho, pretty happy with that.

Also got my first sub-20 5k this past Saturday, 19:29, 3rd place AG again, 9th overall out of 298 runners.

Euronewbie, did I read that right, you're going to do 45/55/75 mile long runs the week before a 100 mile ultra? What kind of plan is this?
    Great work on the half.

Yes! I'll have to scan or type the training plan and post it, but there is a lot of miles to be run. Trust me there will be some tweaking to the plan, and as I'm not looking to win or place, just complete it and survive...
    ***kneedraggers crew***

Originally Posted by euronewbie View Post
    Great work on the half.

Yes! I'll have to scan or type the training plan and post it, but there is a lot of miles to be run. Trust me there will be some tweaking to the plan, and as I'm not looking to win or place, just complete it and survive...
    Thanks!

It just sounds a bit odd to be doing that much mileage the week before a race. Even with a goal of just finishing, I would think you should be tapering then and not still ramping up mileage, especially that high. But then again, I've never run farther than 26 miles, or raced more than a half marathon, so maybe there's a different approach to ultras.
    -Dave

Originally Posted by D3D View Post
    Thanks!

It just sounds a bit odd to be doing that much mileage the week before a race. Even with a goal of just finishing, I would think you should be tapering then and not still ramping up mileage, especially that high. But then again, I've never run farther than 26 miles, or raced more than a half marathon, so maybe there's a different approach to ultras.
    That makes 2 of us.. I've not even done 26 before. It has ramping up to the week before, then the Tuesday & Wednesday after dropping to 3 miles each, rest Thursday and Friday and race Saturday. I am still looking at other plans as most are 24 week plans and I still have 26 weeks before the race, just trying to get the base mileage up and prepare because no matter what training plan I end up picking its going to be brutal.... Oh well you only live once I guess, and I may only live for another 26 weeks at this rate

Spent the morning with my 11 year old son at the local highschool track yesterday, we put a few fast miles in there, along with some sprints and a few form drills. He want's to do a sprint Triathalon in a few weeks, and also starting to get ready for football season, so it gave us some good time together and got a workout in as well.

And then skipped lunch today and put another 4 miles in, as I won't get home 'till about 10 today.
    ***kneedraggers crew***

thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BalhamBeast View Post
    Nice work. I must admit running has taken a back seat for me lately - my mother's passing has interfered with it somewhat but I've been going to the gym a fair bit. Running just seems less appealing at the moment, somehow. I'll get back to it when I'm ready.
    Sorry to hear about your Mom. It's normal to have some down time of one form or another. Even when it's not a surprise the loss hits us all differently.

I'm expecting a call about my Mom as her health has been bad for a while and it has turned worse of late. Sadly smoking has killed my Mom, we just don't have a date for the head stone quite yet.

Keep lifting and one day the sun will be shining and running will start calling your name again.

Great work on the half.

I am interested in seeing this training plan as well. Almost sounds masochistic. 26 weeks is a good amount of time for training. Before you took this push from the wife, how many miles were you cycling in a week and at what average speed?

I am interested in seeing this training plan as well. Almost sounds masochistic. 26 weeks is a good amount of time for training. Before you took this push from the wife, how many miles were you cycling in a week and at what average speed?
    I have been working on what plan to go with, I think I finally have it settled, not quite as extreme mileage, which should allow me to keep my job as well and not spend all day everyday running Obviously during the winter cycling miles fall off quite a bit and are replaced my hours on the dreaded trainer. But average 125-140 miles a week 23-26mph, also throw in a fair bit of mountain biking although I think that will definitely be on the back burner this year as I always seem to injure myself doing it. The wife still does not think it will be that bad.... I'm not sure if I even know this woman anymore!!!
    ***kneedraggers crew***

I have been working on what plan to go with, I think I finally have it settled, not quite as extreme mileage, which should allow me to keep my job as well and not spend all day everyday running Obviously during the winter cycling miles fall off quite a bit and are replaced my hours on the dreaded trainer. But average 125-140 miles a week 23-26mph, also throw in a fair bit of mountain biking although I think that will definitely be on the back burner this year as I always seem to injure myself doing it. The wife still does not think it will be that bad.... I'm not sure if I even know this woman anymore!!!
    This woman that you don't recognize, how many miles does she plan on running during the 24 hours? As long as she is as committed, as you should be for doing this, then it will be interesting to say the least.

With that amount of cycling your legs will adapt faster to the running than a sedentary person. You should also have a great understanding of how hard you can push yourself, over x amount of consecutive days before needing to dial it back in preparation to push hard again. That will be important considering you need to average over 4 miles/hour to hit your goal on race day. A friend lives next door to an ultra runner and he was doing a similar style race and he talked about it all being good until he hit the 22.5 hour mark.

Hopefully the plan that you have settled on lines up with a few distance races along the way. I would look at the schedule and see if you can get in some half & full marathons as well as a 50 miler ultra a long the way. That will give you some experience with distance running races and the competition end of it will help pull you along on long distance days. It will also allow you to hit some nice marks along the way.

Mountain biking I have done only once as I have always ridden on the streets to fill my need for speed. The one time on a mountain bike showed me I was too crazy to ride trails and that injury (or worse) was just a matter of when, not if.

I abhor indoor training so if I am riding stationary I park myself in front of a big screen with some good action/blowing up/fighting movie to take my mind off of the boredom of no swerving around traffic.

So this is what I think I am going with, still open to suggestions on it though.

She has all intentions on hitting the 100 as well, although she does not plan to train very much for it, and sadly somehow she gets away with things like that, from not training for marathons and doing pretty well at them to an Ironman last year that she did nothing for the 6 months coming up to it and set a PR, oh well I'll be ready regardless.

Yeah I was talking to someone the other day that had just done a 100 and same thing they were fine up until about the 22 hour mark then it all fell apart. In that case I just need to keep a high enough pace to be done before 22 hours arrives

If it has two wheels I love it and race it, although this year will just be for fun as this ultra is going to take precedent. Got some good mileage in this week, planning an 8 miler tonight and at least 6 each tomorrow and Sunday along with a bike ride today and Sunday. I am finding nutrition and hydration is going to be the biggest hurdle, I have it down to a science on the bike but that is not crossing over so well. About the hour mark the past few runs I have completely crashed. Tonight I have a cliff bar for about an hour before a banana about 30 mins before I run and a bottle of water.
    ***kneedraggers crew***

euronewbie, I like that plan a lot better than the other one that you mentioned. How is the training going?

Have you managed to find a working solution for your energy/eating for your longer runs? If you are training on a loop perhaps leave some nutrition where you can readily access it on those longer runs. If not, I would once again suggest getting a hydration pack which will also have pouches for gel paks and/or cliff bars.

kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Euro, I'm a total running newb compared to you so I am just taking a shot in the wind here.

I'm 37 also so maybe that skews things.

But I can't help but wonder if that 2 mile run 3 days before the ultra is necessary. To me, it seems like it would ruin one extra day of recovery you could have had before the ultra.

But man, impressive that you're doing this. FWIW: My bucket list has a half marathon on it.

Originally Posted by kfh227 View Post
    Euro, I'm a total running newb compared to you so I am just taking a shot in the wind here.

But I can't help but wonder if that 2 mile run 3 days before the ultra is necessary. To me, it seems like it would ruin one extra day of recovery you could have had before the ultra.

But man, impressive that you're doing this. FWIW: My bucket list has a half marathon on it.
    That 2 mile run you mention is actually just to keep the body loose before the race. At that point 2 miles is not going to make a difference and staying loose is more important. I actually run 2 miles (on race day) just as a warm up for each half marathon that I do. If your training was consistent then it will all be good.

Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Do_Somethin View Post
    Doing another 10k in May... then a Spartan Race in July!
    That 10k was this morning. I was embarrassed to cross the finish line with a time of 1:02:24. Windy and cold but everybody that finished ahead of me had to contend with that. Might try to find another 10k to alleviate what I saw as a poor performance today.
    Hopefully the Spartan goes better.

afrosamurai04 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afrosamurai04 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afrosamurai04 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afrosamurai04 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afrosamurai04 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afrosamurai04 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afrosamurai04 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afrosamurai04 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afrosamurai04 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afrosamurai04 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afrosamurai04 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just got an MRI on my knee and found out I have a partially torn lateral meniscus and ACL (also partially torn); ortho said it was both minor and I could do low-impact stuff, but any advice?? Kinda sucks cause he said it'll be for anothe 3-4 months I've been on the boring elliptical and probably am gonna be stuck with that all summer as well as upper body weight lifting (no heavy squats or leg presses) but I can still do deadlifts and powercleans without any knee pain.

Should I stick with that for now? I'm so tired of the elliptical though haha I'm always thinking how a 40 min run would go by much faster than a 40 min elliptical session lol
    "The Will to Win means nothing without the Will to Prepare."

"Pain is temporary, Pride is forever."

"I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a Champion."

My Training Blog during my 2012 Fall Semester in College (Current one):
    http://blog.bodybuilding.com/afrosamurai04/category/Fall+2012+College+Semester+Training+Blog/

Originally Posted by kfh227 View Post

Trust me I am a running newb myself... I believe that couple of mile run is just to keep things moving and loose.

Last weeks work schedule was insane and only gave me time to get a longest run of 6 miles in. Week 1 officially starts (or started yesterday). Already had to shift things up a day due to travel later in the week. Got my 4 in last night, 6 tonight and 4 tomorrow then 16 and 10 Fri and Sat. Next week should be back on schedule.

Still haven't figured nutrition yet although most of my routes are loops, my plan for this Fridays long run is at a local park there is a 5.25 mile loop (including greenway) so I'll leave something on the back of the truck and grab it each time by. However as things progress I think as thepainter5 mentioned I will be looking at more of a hydration pack to carry everything with me.
    ***kneedraggers crew***

Week one done, pretty brutal, between work and family schedule had to change some of the run days around and came up a few miles short over the weekend. This weeks just as crazy, going to be out of town the next couple of days (and they are going to be long days so miles are going to be limited).

One of the local stores has the Garmin 910XT on sale for 299 so will probably pick one up this week just to keep up better with mileage and pace.
    ***kneedraggers crew***

That 2 mile run you mention is actually just to keep the body loose before the race. At that point 2 miles is not going to make a difference and staying loose is more important. I actually run 2 miles (on race day) just as a warm up for each half marathon that I do. If your training was consistent then it will all be good.
    Absolutely. Once your mileage is up, you don't even notice 2 miles. I do the same thing, few easy miles the day before the race just to stay loose, and then a couple of miles with some strides to warmup before the race.
    -Dave

KHSTAFF7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KHSTAFF7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KHSTAFF7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KHSTAFF7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KHSTAFF7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KHSTAFF7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KHSTAFF7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KHSTAFF7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KHSTAFF7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KHSTAFF7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KHSTAFF7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Well said bro nice informative thread like it keep it up and do posting.

Holy moly my legs are tired. Add to that the temps have gone from 55 to 95 with 95% humidity in the past week. However I have been enjoying spinach and turkey lasagna most every night. Some of my days on the plan have had to be moved around however still getting the weekly mileage in. It's been tough, but honestly pretty fun so far.
    ***kneedraggers crew***

Holy moly my legs are tired. Add to that the temps have gone from 55 to 95 with 95% humidity in the past week. However I have been enjoying spinach and turkey lasagna most every night. Some of my days on the plan have had to be moved around however still getting the weekly mileage in. It's been tough, but honestly pretty fun so far.
    Good to hear you're sticking with it, keep us posted. The heat can be tough, that's why I started running in the mornings, it's at least a little bit cooler. Make sure to stay well hydrated with the heat, and don't be afraid to cut a run short if you're feeling dizzy or lightheaded, it can sneak up on you pretty quick.
    -Dave

RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I have hope

Originally Posted by Do_Somethin View Post
    That 10k was this morning. I was embarrassed to cross the finish line with a time of 1:02:24. Windy and cold but everybody that finished ahead of me had to contend with that. Might try to find another 10k to alleviate what I saw as a poor performance today.
    Hopefully the Spartan goes better.
    interesting, I have just started to "cliff young shuffle" again after catastrophic surgery fail 3 1/2 years ago. I managed 5 klms in 34 minutes today. In past was 5.5klms in 24.5 minutes. This is day 6 and I'm having a break. I also have disability not inability. If you look at my most recent pics, you will see "waisted quads" in fact spinal damage resulted in Tricep right thigh not quadricep. Broken vertebrae from MBA and nerve damage affected lower back and legs. I mention this because I can get mobile, but look quite retarded as I run. Some people don't look at my obvious injuries in legs but pass judgement I am retarded ! I never imagined I would attempt this before my weight got below 80kg, I became impatient. It is dangerous for me to run at heavy body weights, as I also smashed both knees in MBA. Last week just gave me the scent of what was taken away from me. I now shuffle everyday 5 klms minimum. My short term target is 10klms in under 1 hour!! This will take a few more weeks in gym. I can't hit road until body weight is below 75kg, heel strike and road shock will swell my knees so much it would prevent daily runs. Treadmill has " bounce " , this is all I have now ! A few more months to go yet for me.
    "The best way to keep your health is to eat what you dont want- drink what you dont like- and do what you would rather not"

If your still doing this as well as I do, at my age, it is in your DNA !

JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I ran a 5k last sunday and my time was off by almost two minutes. I didn't train for this run but it still pisses me off and I have no excuse.

Originally Posted by RicG777 View Post
    interesting, I have just started to "cliff young shuffle" again after catastrophic surgery fail 3 1/2 years ago. I managed 5 klms in 34 minutes today. In past was 5.5klms in 24.5 minutes. This is day 6 and I'm having a break. I also have disability not inability. If you look at my most recent pics, you will see "waisted quads" in fact spinal damage resulted in Tricep right thigh not quadricep. Broken vertebrae from MBA and nerve damage affected lower back and legs. I mention this because I can get mobile, but look quite retarded as I run. Some people don't look at my obvious injuries in legs but pass judgement I am retarded ! I never imagined I would attempt this before my weight got below 80kg, I became impatient. It is dangerous for me to run at heavy body weights, as I also smashed both knees in MBA. Last week just gave me the scent of what was taken away from me. I now shuffle everyday 5 klms minimum. My short term target is 10klms in under 1 hour!! This will take a few more weeks in gym. I can't hit road until body weight is below 75kg, heel strike and road shock will swell my knees so much it would prevent daily runs. Treadmill has " bounce " , this is all I have now ! A few more months to go yet for me.
    Great job that you are getting it done, keep at it, and keep up the great work.
    ***kneedraggers crew***

Falling off the training plan a little bit, the past few weeks have been so hectic, still managed 44 miles last week though. Plus with the remnants of Tropical Storm Andrea most of the greenways are flooded, arrived at one on Saturday to get a good 12 miles in and the parking lot was all taped off. Pulled the truck up beside the parking lot and headed to check it out, the greenway was about 6 feet under fast flowing water, have never seen anything like it. So only ended up getting 7.5 miles in running around a 3/4 mile loop park. Didn't even try and go out there on Sunday as I figured it would still all be flooded and just stuck to 10 miles on the "dreadmill". Then rode the 14 mile bike course and ran the first mile of the run of next weeks triathalon with my 11 year old son who's doing it as his first
    ***kneedraggers crew***

Page 195 of 214 FirstFirst ... 95 145 185 193 194 195 196 197 205 ... LastLast