Page 89 of 214 FirstFirst ... 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 99 139 189 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,670 of 6402
    dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Distance - 2.7 Miles
    Time - 27:50
    Pace - 10:18:51
    Stretch & .70 run/walk with the dog

Slow run with my son, as intended. Ankle felt fine...up until the last 1/2 mile. Was going to go for another lap until that time. I'm really elated that the ankle didn't hurt! Today has been a great day .
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dbx View Post
    Distance - 2.7 Miles

Slow run with my son, as intended. Ankle felt fine...up until the last 1/2 mile. Was going to go for another lap until that time. I'm really elated that the ankle didn't hurt! Today has been a great day .
    this is the takeaway here. Seems like the ankle is coming along well, just a matter of it getting all it's strength back. It'll come. Just enjoy the ride.

Quitting is not an option thepainter5's Avatar
    thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    .....My ankle still has some soreness and I haven't run on it since, but I think I'm going to be OK! *crosses fingers* Man, I've always had week ankles . Even as a kid playing ice hockey, my ankles would kill me just skating a short time. Skiing too.
    I am wondering whether or not doing calf raises would help as you definitely use the ankle in that motion??

Originally Posted by thepainter5
    The second thing I thought was 'glue factory' because if your ankle was screwed putting you down would be the humane thing to do.
    I LOL'd IRL when I read this. But rest assured, some payback is coming at the end of this post
    I expected no less.

Originally Posted by thepainter5
    Today was a 10K race day for my daughter and I
    LOFL, one of my favorite parts of that great write-up ^!!
    Mine too as she signed up only 3 days before the run and we got to spend almost 2 days together before/after the race.

You better enjoy that "victory" over her while you can, old timer. And congrats on your awesome time for running that race! Excellent! *bows in awe*....
    I am very aware that she has the advantage and if I must lose to someone I would rather it be her. It makes me happy knowing that her running style/methods are work because I was able to teach them to her. I know I could be a lot more of a challenge to her if I chose to drop back down the my previous running weight of 155 lbs but I am not willing to do that.

Originally Posted by 1979**** View Post
    thanks for the responses everyone. i think i am going to try out the 2 days per week for 6 weeks, by the end of that time should be up to 10 miles on my long days and then reassess. i know you can't be the master of two disciplines and this summer i want to focus on some str building, hence putting running as secondary to lifting.....
    Keep us informed on how this works for you.

Originally Posted by snoack View Post
    Great write up Rod! I'll defer to Kevin on this one...she'll be smoking you soon enough...

...which is okay, because I'm going to go through the same thing soon enough.

.... but I'm running pain-free so I know it's going to continue to get better.
    Smoking me again is the correct way to say it and I am fine with it. However, I will make her work for it as long as we are running side by side. I am sure it will be the same for you and your son.

My Daughter and I had a great talk about training and the sacrifices she needs to make if she is serious about taking this to the professional level. I showed her the times of the women winning HM's as well as their ages. She has the time to get there because those women are 30+ but to win is an all or nothing plan. She seems eager to make the commitment.

Very nice, Steve! Nothing like running with one of your kids, as Rod knows too.....
    It is a great feeling.
    I remember taking my daughters to the local track where they would ride their bikes as I ran laps. As they grew the oldest one started running with me at the track which worked out great because even when she couldn't keep up she was always in plain sight so there were no concerns of something happening to her.

Distance - 2.7 Miles

Glad to hear that you got in a run and that the ankle held up well. I guess the trip to the glue factory can be postponed for a while longer.

bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Lots of cool running going on in here!

Great write-up on your 10K, Rod--I enjoyed reading it.

Kevin, looks like you're lucky on that ankle scare .....and you've been logging some nice runs!

Steve, couch to 5K will be a great way to rehab.

I'm jealous of all you guys running with your kids....

You guys have me jonesing to get out and run again. I've only done two 3-milers since April 25th; and those were sprinting interval runs at the HS track. Wow, those are exhausting! They make me wonder how I was able to run a full marathon.. Next weekend, I'm going to get out and do a long run and see where I am as far as conditioning drop off. It's hard to get a good run in due to the voluminous Powerlifting training, but I think Sunday morning would be a good time.

Keep up the awesome work guys!

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by thepainter5 View Post
    My Daughter and I had a great talk about training and the sacrifices she needs to make if she is serious about taking this to the professional level. I showed her the times of the women winning HM's as well as their ages. She has the time to get there because those women are 30+ but to win is an all or nothing plan. She seems eager to make the commitment.
    this is the key right here. She has a a goal, an understanding of what she needs to do, and the willingness to do it coupled with talent. It's a very special feeling being a parent of a kid like this. My son is several years younger then your daughter, but he has the same drive in regards to baseball. I almost physically have to drag him off the practice field sometimes (and at 5'6", 165# already at the age of 12 that isn't always easy ) because he'll push until he drops. What I've told him is that running will make him a better ballplayer, but being a ballplayer won't make him a better runner. He's just starting to get to that age now where he sees these kinds of things.

I'm sure you tell her the same thing I tell him...talent alone isn't enough. When you start getting to the top levels EVERYBODY has talent, it's all about how hard you're willing to push what you have and how important it is to you.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    this is the takeaway here. Seems like the ankle is coming along well, just a matter of it getting all it's strength back.
    I think you're right. I was simply afraid (terrified, actually) that I'd injured myself back to square one in regard to healing. I'll have to try to stay vigilant without thinking about it too much while running.

I am wondering whether or not doing calf raises would help as you definitely use the ankle in that motion??
    I do calf raises, but very limited. I kind of treat them like biceps, and even ignore them more; 1 straight set of "45" (15 toes in, 15 toes out, 15 straight) just using body weight and standing on DB handles. I do this only once per week.

That's awesome...and almost...kinda scary . That is a huge commitment, albeit an admirable one!

It is a great feeling.
    I remember taking my daughters to the local track where they would ride their bikes as I ran laps. As they grew the oldest one started running with me at the track which worked out great because even when she couldn't keep up she was always in plain sight so there were no concerns of something happening to her.
    I hear ya. I recall going to watch my son run 5K's (wearing full length blue jeans!) starting around age 11 or so, and then track meets in Jr high and HS. Never knew he'd actually have me running a few years later. Man, to see his eyes light up with pride to see his lifelong smoking dad running a 5K (I still smoked on the first two ). It was his pride that I think kept me going.

Glad to hear that you got in a run and that the ankle held up well. I guess the trip to the glue factory can be postponed for a while longer.
    It really did. Started aching the last 1/2 mile, but that's nowhere near the state I was in the first go around, so I'm really thankful. The glue factory will have to wait, damn them!

Originally Posted by bustasinclair View Post
    You guys have me jonesing to get out and run again. I've only done two 3-milers since April 25th; and those were sprinting interval runs at the HS track. Wow, those are exhausting! They make me wonder how I was able to run a full marathon.. Next weekend, I'm going to get out and do a long run and see where I am as far as conditioning drop off. It's hard to get a good run in due to the voluminous Powerlifting training, but I think Sunday morning would be a good time.

Keep up the awesome work guys!
    Good to see you, Matt. Yeah, get your ass out there and do a few runs. I think it's common for those of use who don't think of ourselves as "real" runners to take a long break after an event of any type that we've entered. But like Rod keeps telling me...damn it Matt, you've got runner in your blood. Don't fight the dark side .

Thundering out right now...and my son said he's staying put tonight, but I may go for a short run later...IF...the weather holds out.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Another night run.

Distance - 2.4 Miles
    Time - 22:16
    Pace - 9:16:66
    Stretch & .70 run/walk w/dog

As the night before, my ankle started bothering me out of the blue at about 2 miles in. Up to that point, I was feeling pretty decent and was going to go for 3 miles even. Not going to push it. Oh, and the faster is pace is because the hill wasn't involved in the run tonight.

Another night run.

Distance - 2.4 Miles
    Time - 22:16
    Pace - 9:16:66
    Stretch & .70 run/walk w/dog

As the night before, my ankle started bothering me out of the blue at about 2 miles in. Up to that point, I was feeling pretty decent and was going to go for 3 miles even. Not going to push it. Oh, and the faster is pace is because the hill wasn't involved in the run tonight.

have you thought about cutting your runs shorter and maybe working on speed right now? Seems like, to me anyway, that the ankle is trying to bite back and screw with your head some. I know that if you reinjured it again now you'd probably start climbing the walls...so be careful.

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    another night run.

distance - 2.4 miles
    time - 22:16
    pace - 9:16:66
    stretch & .70 run/walk w/dog

as the night before, my ankle started bothering me out of the blue at about 2 miles in. Up to that point, i was feeling pretty decent and was going to go for 3 miles even. Not going to push it. Oh, and the faster is pace is because the hill wasn't involved in the run tonight.
    good job!

have you thought about cutting your runs shorter and maybe working on speed right now? Seems like, to me anyway, that the ankle is trying to bite back and screw with your head some. I know that if you reinjured it again now you'd probably start climbing the walls...so be careful.
    Yeah, but the killer is that running faster, while easier on my joints (overall), actually aggravates the injured ankle. Of course, "fast" is subjective here, lol, but I'll be trying out any way possible to get runs in and not aggravate it, so nothing is off the table!

Originally Posted by BC02 View Post
    good job!
    Thx.

1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10)

=)

Well, was planning on doing an easy pace 3 mile run after lifting weights today... while lifting weights I kept having to look at the clock because it seemed to be getting dark really early in day... it was around 7:00 pm, doesn't get dark till at least 8:30 - get done, walk outside.. holy **** dark clouds and lightning coming in pretty fast. Haul ass home, get my running shoes and watch and start running... wind picks up like a mofo and figure there is no way I will get 3 miles in before it starts to rain... starts pouring on my around mile 2 and finish out mile 2.25 - starting running pretty fast towards the end of the run. Usually like running in the rain if its a normal rain, but thunderstorm is just a bit too much for me!

total distance: 2.23 miles
    total time: 20:29
    Avg pace: 9:11 (was finishing out at ~7:00 pace)
    Avg heart: 168 (max 185)

also foam rolled today before lifting weights, did some dynamic stretching right before weight training, and did some good stretching after run. I have really tight everything pretty much on my legs so have really been working on stretching lately. I tweaked my back doing back squats a month ago going too deep and having the ole 'butt wink' rounding of lower back due to tight hams (figured out afterwards that is what I had been doing this whole time), so have been very conscious of not going too deep (prolly a few inches above parallel) and stopping right as my butt starts to tuck under. Today was front squats, so not too much of an issue as it is easier to keep correct lower back curvature.

Had a solid deadlift day too, I took a week off the two weeks ago before my race and then reset my weight a bit, was doing 185 for 3 before grip gave out prior to reset, have been pretty stubborn about not switching to alternate grip because it feels odd, even though obviously i need to. Today was 155 x 5 which felt good, but heavier than I would have expected (I remember warming up with 165 x 5 a few weeks ago and thinking it wasnt light, but wasn't too heavy either) - I think it seemed heavy because I made sure to completely let the bar rest on the ground after each rep, took a new breath, then lifted, instead of going fast and getting the bounce off the floor to help. In any event, I think my form is pretty darn good for deadlifts, I hope to get a phone with a video camera at some point so I can really tell.

Anyway, that is all I have for now! It is storming like a mofo outside right now!

~Go Big or Go Home!!~ hbk442000's Avatar
    hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

2010 Soldier Field 10 Mile Race Recap

Hello everyone.

Stopping by to share my current long distance adventure stories. I wish I could post more frequently but right now I'm full throttle and don't have enough time to breath.

On Saturday, May 29th I ran the 7th annual Soldier Field 10 mile. This is my first long distance race as I prepare for October's Chicago Marathon. Saturday brought some great temps to a 7am race start. The race started outside of Soldier Field and went down the Lake Shore Drive path and curving back up onto the lake front and ending on the Bear's 50 Yard line. The added kicker was that all finishers got to see themselves cross the line on the Bear's jumbotron. Folks..I know now why football players hot dog it. Between the screams of the crowd and running so free and watching it all unfold on the jumbotron..your emotions are taken to a whole new level. It was an amazing finish.

Now my time wasn't all that. I had had better training times, but I faired well and was only off by two minutes. I ran a 8 minute pace and finished roughly 1 hour and 21 minutes. Here are a few pics of the day and race:

10,000 runners get ready for the start. I started off in the 8 min corral.

Soldier Field being prepared for the finish on the 50. It was cool we ran under the tunnel and when we made onto the field the crowd went crazy...

Making our way off the lake shore path and into SF's tunnel:

Glory at the 50 Yard line.

Next week I kick it up a notch and plan on running my first half marathon. I learned a few things last week...so I hope to do a bit better as I continue the quest for Chi 10.10.10.

Last edited by hbk442000; 06-03-2010 at 02:18 PM.
    "If the bar ain't bendin ur just pretendin"

Chi10-10-10

.... holy **** dark clouds and lightning coming in pretty fast. Haul ass home, get my running shoes and watch and start running... wind picks up like a mofo and
    Live in the SE? This ^ had been our weather each day. It usually happens around 4-5PM, but no guarantees. Last night was severe, and I was cutting my back lawn at speed #6 on the rider (very freakin' fast ) just to finish and get inside from the lightning. It stayed like that until 8:30PM, when my son went out and ran at the end of it.

total distance: 2.23 miles
    total time: 20:29
    Avg pace: 9:11 (was finishing out at ~7:00 pace)
    Avg heart: 168 (max 185)

also foam rolled today before lifting weights, did some dynamic stretching right before weight training, and did some good stretching after run. I have really tight everything pretty much on my legs so have really been working on stretching lately. I tweaked my back doing back squats a month ago going too deep and having the ole 'butt wink' rounding of lower back due to tight hams (figured out afterwards that is what I had been doing this whole time), so have been very conscious of not going too deep (prolly a few inches above parallel) and stopping right as my butt starts to tuck under. Today was front squats, so not too much of an issue as it is easier to keep correct lower back curvature.
    Nice run. and that lower back thing can also be from just not being used to run....or just poor mechanics. It's happened to me a few times lately. Man, it took me 3 seasons of running before my hams didn't absolutely kill me after every run (hrs later!). They're still tight as hell after each run and it's actually painful to bend the first few moments after EVERY run, but if I stretch long enough...I'm good to go. Just be sure to stretch long and...um..painfully .

Originally Posted by hbk442000 View Post
    Hello everyone.

Stopping by to share my current long distance adventure stories. I wish I could post more frequently but right now I'm full throttle and don't have enough time to breath.

On Saturday, May 29th I ran the 7th annual Soldier Field 10 mile. This is my first long distance race as I prepare for October's Chicago Marathon. Saturday brought some great temps to a 7am race start. The race started outside of Soldier Field and went down the Lake Shore Drive path and curving back up onto the lake front and ending on the Bear's 50 Yard line. The added kicker was that all finishers got to see themselves cross the line on the Bear's jumbotron. Folks..I know now why football players hot dog it. Between the screams of the crowd and running so free and watching it all unfold on the jumbotron..your emotions are taken to a whole new level. It was an amazing finish.

Now my time wasn't all that. I had had better training times, but I faired well and was only off by two minutes. I ran a 8 minute pace and finished roughly 1 hour and 21 minutes. Here are a few pics of the day and race:

10,000 runners get ready for the start. I started off in the 8 min corral.

Soldier Field being prepared for the finish on the 50. It was cool we ran under the tunnel and when we made onto the field the crowd went crazy...

Making our way off the lake shore path and into SF's tunnel:

Glory at the 50 Yard line.
    Next week I kick it up a notch and plan on running my first half marathon. I learned a few things last week...so I hope to do a bit better as I continue the quest for Chi 10.10.10.
    Good to see you and congrats on the run! Nice write-up too. Don't be a stranger.

Set out to do a very short run (like 1.2 miles) and ended up feeling great and knocking off 3. Man, I went ahead and started out strong...and just kept smoking (for me, lol). I ran a 8:15 pace for the first 1.8 which was non-stop, but had to shut down for a few seconds. I ended up walking a few more short times, but check out the overall pace:

Distance - 3 Miles (no hill tonight)
    Time - 25:58 (including all walking)
    Pace - 8:39:33 (woo-hoo)

Just one of those feel good...lucky runs..that I was overdue for . Best part - My ankle did great. It may have been the short stops/walks that helped, but I just know it didn;t hurt like the two runs prior, despite it still not being "right".

1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1979soma is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I love those runs, with the caveat that I am a noob runner that only began running in March, I remember the first time I ran 5.5 miles, I had planned on only running 3.6, but when I got to the end of the 3.6 I felt so damn good that I decided to run another lap. Of course, that was week 3 of my running and ended up hurting myself... but that is another story.

DBX - I def. hurt myself in the squat, wasn't a running injury. I felt it during the squat... it was one of those ... oh oh... moments. But after consultation with a massage therapist, my spine was just a big tweaked and the muscles around it were just locked in with a deathgrip - will just take time, stretching, and working the muscles to get them to fully loosen up. and lots of ham work so as to prevent future injury!

hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Good to see you and congrats on the run! Nice write-up too. Don't be a stranger.
    Thanks and you got it.

Chi10-10-10

I love those runs, with the caveat that I am a noob runner that only began running in March, I remember the first time I ran 5.5 miles, I had planned on only running 3.6, but when I got to the end of the 3.6 I felt so damn good that I decided to run another lap. Of course, that was week 3 of my running and ended up hurting myself... but that is another story.
    LULZ!

DBX - I def. hurt myself in the squat, wasn't a running injury. I felt it during the squat... it was one of those ... oh oh... moments. But after consultation with a massage therapist, my spine was just a big tweaked and the muscles around it were just locked in with a deathgrip - will just take time, stretching, and working the muscles to get them to fully loosen up. and lots of ham work so as to prevent future injury!
    Sorry I misunderstood (thought I may have), but that whole "but wink" terminology... . I wasn't sure what you meant. I often get soreness in the lower back from bad running form.

Thanks and you got it.
    Yeah, yeah....we'll see .

Sorry I misunderstood (thought I may have), but that whole "but wink" terminology... . I wasn't sure what you meant. I often get soreness in the lower back from bad running form.
    "butt wink" (I learned the terminology on these boards) occurs in almost all the "check my squat form vids" if you notice at the very bottom of most people's squats, their lower back (right at the ass) rounds and tucks under their pelvis - due to their hams being tight and pulling the pelvis "under" the torso. I don't think most people notice it - they just want to "go deep" - even if it screws up their form. Proper form would be to keep that lower back curve all the way through the squat, even at the very bottom of whatever your flexability will allow. I actually really realized I was doing it after I hurt myself, and then started to watch the Squat RX vids... excellent vids.

just look up squat rx on youtube, i can't post a link due to not enough posts on the boards.

Quitting is not an option thepainter5's Avatar
    thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    .....My Daughter and I had a great talk about training and the sacrifices she needs to make if she is serious about taking this to the professional level. I showed her the times of the women winning HM's as well as their ages. She has the time to get there because those women are 30+ but to win is an all or nothing plan. She seems eager to make the commitment.....
    this is the key right here. She has a a goal, an understanding of what she needs to do, and the willingness to do it coupled with talent......
    ....That's awesome...and almost...kinda scary . That is a huge commitment, albeit an admirable one!.....
    My daughter has had another set back in her knee rehabilitation. She has been told to stop running for another 6 weeks as she needs to do physio for her hamstrings. Apparentlyy she has a huge muscle imbalance between her quads and hamstrings, to the point where the hamstrings are so weak it is affecting her knee. She was told that without addressing the problem she would do further damage if she runs. This news really sucks but she accepts that she needs to get this problem fixed before running.

The only good news about this is that it gives me 6 more weeks of training and the possibility of beating her at least once in the HM. I am such a bad dad.

As for training, I am preparing for my next HM on June 27th so if I don't get on here much it is simply because of time constraints. Besides running/lifting and a race car project, this is the busy time of year for me work wise.

I have gotten in about 20 miles of training this week and I have a 10+ mile training run on Sunday. The last 3 runs I have done have been 5, 5 & 4 milers. The second 5 miler I managed to shave 3 minutes off of the day befores' run and they were both invigorating runs. Todays run started of great and I was ahead of the previous interval time but I knew that my legs were starting to say, we want a break so I backed off of the pace and made it a character builder of a run.

Starting on Sunday I head back to the trails/dykes as my legs are also wanting to get off of the harder surfaces. While I focus on improving my time for the next HM, running on the softer surfaces will lower my impact and allow me to focus on the running without the impact stress.

Kevin, I am glad to read that your ankle is in fact better and allowing you to keep training.

Steve, I hope your son continues to enjoy baseball and pursue his passion. It truly is a blessing to watch and encourage our kids in their endeavors.

My daughter has had another set back in her knee rehabilitation. She has been told to stop running for another 6 weeks as she needs to do physio for her hamstrings. Apparentlyy she has a huge muscle imbalance between her quads and hamstrings, to the point where the hamstrings are so weak it is affecting her knee. She was told that without addressing the problem she would do further damage if she runs. This news really sucks but she accepts that she needs to get this problem fixed before running.
    I'm really sorry to hear that, Rod. You know, I've often wondered if I had an issue with imbalance...because of the hamstring pain I've mentioned here before, as well as sciatica/piriformis. After seeing your post last night, I checked to see if I had the links saved from a search I did months ago about the imbalance issue...but I had deleted them. The best I recall finding as a way to check, was a body weight kind of squat while having a 2nd party check where your knee/hip placement was. Oddly enough, while you hear people and docs speak of imbalance, there's not a lot out there to tell you how to check for it!

Anyway...again, I hope she can resolve this issue as fast as possible.

The only good news about this is that it gives me 6 more weeks of training and the possibility of beating her at least once in the HM. I am such a bad dad.
    A dad after my own heart . Beat em' while you can!!

I have gotten in about 20 miles of training this week and I have a 10+ mile training run on Sunday. The last 3 runs I have done have been 5, 5 & 4 milers. The second 5 miler I managed to shave 3 minutes off of the day befores' run and they were both invigorating runs. Todays run started of great and I was ahead of the previous interval time but I knew that my legs were starting to say, we want a break so I backed off of the pace and made it a character builder of a run.
    3 mins of a 5 mile run is huge! Sounds like you're up for the 10 miler. And you damn well better let us know how you do, even if you have to wait until later to give us the more detailed write-up .

Kevin, I am glad to read that your ankle is in fact better and allowing you to keep training.
    Thanks. Skipped last night, but hope to get out tonight. Was semi-helping my daughter prep for SAT's today, as was her brother (I just dropped her off at 7:45AM this morning and waiting for the pick up call).

Oh, and my oldest son ran 4.2 miles last night...at a 6:41 pace. It's good to see him back to running like he used to.

Got it done.

Distance - 4.2 Miles
    Time - 39:57
    Pace - 9:30:70
    15 Mins stretching

1.2 straight and then run/walk repeat. Felt a bit lethargic, but ankle held up...so all was good. No hills in run again.

bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Got it done.

Distance - 4.2 Miles
    Time - 39:57
    Pace - 9:30:70
    15 Mins stretching

1.2 straight and then run/walk repeat. Felt a bit lethargic, but ankle held up...so all was good. No hills in run again.
    Distance is coming along! Pace is not too shabby either....esp for feeling lethargic.

Well, I got out and finally did my first quasi-distance run since the marathon. Wow, what a drop off in conditioning. What I found most interesting was how badly my quads hurt during and now afterwards. I assume it just goes to show you that squats and running use two entirely separate muscle fibers.

I also noticed my back got extremely tight; not sure if that's residual soreness from Thursday's Good Mornings, but that's the safe assumption:

Distance: 10 miles
    Time: 1:31:36
    Avg pace: 9:10/mile
    Avg speed: 6.5 mph
    Max speed: 9.5 mph
    Calories: 1,165

Mile splits were decently consistent until mile 8 where I pooped out. I honestly should have only done an 8-miler. So, for those who were wondering about conditioning drop off after a marathon--about 8 weeks ago, this would have been a stroll in the park and I'm exhausted!!

Distance is coming along! Pace is not too shabby either....esp for feeling lethargic.
    Thanks Matt.

Well, I got out and finally did my first quasi-distance run since the marathon. Wow, what a drop off in conditioning.
    Even though I don't run distances like you, yeah, it drops off fast!

I assume it just goes to show you that squats and running use two entirely separate muscle fibers.
    Yep, fast twitch vs slow twitch. You can experiment though with high rep (15-20 rep sets) vs 4-6 rep sets of squats to see how it changes things.

I also noticed my back got extremely tight; not sure if that's residual soreness from Thursday's Good Mornings, but that's the safe assumption:
    This ^ is the same as why we wonder why the hell we're wiped out after raking leaves os some such mundane household activity, when we work out and are "in shape". Any different physical endeavor quickly reminds us how muscle groups get hit in a different way.

Distance: 10 miles
    Time: 1:31:36
    Avg pace: 9:10/mile
    Avg speed: 6.5 mph
    Max speed: 9.5 mph
    Calories: 1,165

Mile splits were decently consistent until mile 8 where I pooped out. I honestly should have only done an 8-miler. So, for those who were wondering about conditioning drop off after a marathon--about 8 weeks ago, this would have been a stroll in the park and I'm exhausted!!
    Matt, I know that's a drop off for you, but it sure as hell looks outstanding to me! . It just goes to show, you'd better get your ass out there with some frequency so you don't "lose it" .

had a good run early yesterday morning

distance - 7.5 miles
    total time - 1:11:00
    Avg pace - 9.28 / mile
    Avg speed - 6.3 / mile
    Max speed - 7.9 / mile
    total calories - 918
    Avg HR - 166
    Max HR - 180

It was pretty early - started around 7:45 am, so not too too hot, but damn, when the sun was on my full blast it sure as hell felt hotter than it was lol.

Morning everyone. Here's my weekend recap of my training runs. Basically they were crap runs. grrr But I did end the weekend on some positives.

Normally I don't run back to back..but my schedule this week is bad so I'm trying to get some good miles and light work in before my first half marathon on Sunday. its almost here. lol

Saturday:
    13.13K (8.15 miles)
    Time: 1:10:16
    Pace per Mile 8:36
    Cals: 972
    Temps Humid and Cloudy-about 45 minutes later the rain came down like a mutha.. lol

I felt awful this entire run. I've been dealing with a lot of stuff at home..and I definately felt the stress on my shoulders. My legs were heavy and my head wasn't focused. I ran angry, annoyed, fustrated and with no passion.

Sunday:
    Miles: 15.11K (9.39 miles)
    Time: 1:18:52
    Pace: 8:24
    Cals: 1,118
    Temps: Sunny and great temps

What a difference a day makes along with some recalibration.... I felt great heading out on this run. The focus for this training was on quality miles..no worries on speed or time. Although I did want to keep to 7:50 pace for the majority of my run. My total distance goal was 13 miles. But in and around mile 6 my right calf began to cramp up. It wasn't serious and I tried to shake it off mid run. But the more I kept going the worst my pace got. I told myself if I hit 9 minute miles that I would stop and call it a day. Hey...I need to save it and feel 100% for Sunday's half not a training run. So I ended my run early.

Key Notes: Although my calf hurt, I liked my overall run. I was able to clear my head and regroup. I enjoyed myself and liked the fact that I was keeping on goal with a 7:50 pace for a good chunk of the run. Plus I had the WILL to run back. This latter key point will come in handy on Sunday. Heart, Mind and body are once again aligning. I like my chances.

Chi10-10-10

Morning everyone. Here's my weekend recap of my training runs.
    Saturday:
    13.13K (8.15 miles)
    Time: 1:10:16
    Pace per Mile 8:36
    Cals: 972

Sunday:
    Miles: 15.11K (9.39 miles)
    Time: 1:18:52
    Pace: 8:24
    Cals: 1,118
    Temps: Sunny and great temps
    Crap runs, my ass!

I felt awful this entire run. I've been dealing with a lot of stuff at home..and I definately felt the stress on my shoulders. My legs were heavy and my head wasn't focused. I ran angry, annoyed, fustrated and with no passion.
    Been there, done that...lots of times. The run almost always helps after it's over, but the run itself usually doesn't go well. Good thoughts make for the best runs, for sure!

Key Notes: Although my calf hurt, I liked my overall run. I was able to clear my head and regroup. I enjoyed myself and liked the fact that I was keeping on goal with a 7:50 pace for a good chunk of the run. Plus I had the WILL to run back. This latter key point will come in handy on Sunday. Heart, Mind and body are once again aligning. I like my chances.
    Sounds like you're ready! Excellent runs, and you did the right thing to be cautious. Let us know how the race goes.

Today was Leg Day for me, but I still might go out for a light run tonight. I did 3 plates on squats for the first time ever . My nephew confirmed that the 1st rep was crap, but the second was there, lol. Good mood and an easy run might be what I need. Beside, my weight/diet is sucking. 192 currently, after having gone down to 188 a few weeks back .

Congrats on the squats! My goal for the summer is two plates by Sept 1. I think it is doable. Unfortunately had to work late today and missed my workout, that screws up my week as I do SS MWF, light run W, long run Sat morning. Will just do SS on T/Fri, light run T, long run Sat morning. So only lifting 2 times this week, sucks because I could only lift 2 times last week also..grrrr...

Congrats on the squats! My goal for the summer is two plates by Sept 1. I think it is doable.
    Thanks. I haven't had a journal here in almost 3yrs and I'm not the type to start a thread to crow about it. But by golly, I wanted to share it with somebody . Last week was a PR @ 300x2, but I had done too much work prior, as a PR was never my intended goal. Today, I still did 270x7 and then 300 for 3...and then the 3 plates for um....1.5 . I will go back and try to stay in the mid 200's to 270 range, for the most part. I just had to try it, as I already knew my "theoretical" 1RM was around 320 or so.

I'm not sure "where you're at", so I can't comment on two plates, but the more we work at it...the more weight we move up.

Unfortunately had to work late today and missed my workout, that screws up my week as I do SS MWF, light run W, long run Sat morning. Will just do SS on T/Fri, light run T, long run Sat morning. So only lifting 2 times this week, sucks because I could only lift 2 times last week also..grrrr...
    Hey, stuff happens. I laugh when newbies freak out over missing a session...or go on vacation or something. Hey, life happens. You won't be falling behind...and there's lots of years to go .

A fantastic run for me tonight!

I set out to do a slow run, but the air felt so good (71* & 72%H) and cool that I just...took off. Even after beating my legs this morning, my legs felt fresh. I didn't quite make a 5K race distance, but this is still a non-race PR for running outside...I think?

Distance - 2.4 Miles (non-stop and the hill not involved again)
    Time - 20:02
    Pace - 8:20:8 (woo-hoo!)

I actually picked up my pace a bit, as I had run the first 1.8 miles at a 8:23 pace (15:07). I've got to be the most inconsistent runner in history. Can't run more than 1.2 straight one night while running at a 9:30 pace, but run a PR 2nights later at further distance and over a minute off the pace time. WTF? But by George, I'll take it! . My best 5K pace was 8:20 from last year, so this is pretty cool. Ankle feeling OK too.

DB..thanks for the continuos support. Plus nice run.

I went for an real easy recovery run tonight. I spent some time earlier today doing some self ART and it really helped. I had very little pain in my right half and although it was windy and chilly it still made for a nice night run.

Stats:

Miles: 6.11K (3.79 miles)
    Time: 34:44
    Pace 9:08
    Cals 453

Going to go stretch, do some push ups and then chill for the evening. yall be good now.

Chi10-10-10

Thanks. I haven't had a journal here in almost 3yrs and I'm not the type to start a thread to crow about it. But by golly, I wanted to share it with somebody . Last week was a PR @ 300x2, but I had done too much work prior, as a PR was never my intended goal. Today, I still did 270x7 and then 300 for 3...and then the 3 plates for um....1.5 . I will go back and try to stay in the mid 200's to 270 range, for the most part. I just had to try it, as I already knew my "theoretical" 1RM was around 320 or so.
    moving some "big boy" numbers there! Nice work!

A fantastic run for me tonight!

I set out to do a slow run, but the air felt so good (71* & 72%H) and cool that I just...took off. Even after beating my legs this morning, my legs felt fresh. I didn't quite make a 5K race distance, but this is still a non-race PR for running outside...I think?

Distance - 2.4 Miles (non-stop and the hill not involved again)
    Time - 20:02
    Pace - 8:20:8 (woo-hoo!)

I actually picked up my pace a bit, as I had run the first 1.8 miles at a 8:23 pace (15:07). I've got to be the most inconsistent runner in history. Can't run more than 1.2 straight one night while running at a 9:30 pace, but run a PR 2nights later at further distance and over a minute off the pace time. WTF? But by George, I'll take it! . My best 5K pace was 8:20 from last year, so this is pretty cool. Ankle feeling OK too.

you're an enigma, wrapped in a mystery, shrouded by a riddle...or some such sh*t like that...

Great run man, glad to hear the ankle is cooperating.

In my second week of Week 3 Couch-to-5k (weeks 1&2 didn't make any sense), and, while I'm still moving easy, I'm definitely starting to feel like I'm on my way back. Hoping to be off the track and on the road by the end of June. My son is taking to it real well. Been working on his form and breathing, starting to pay off well for him. Already talked to him about doing some plyometrics, showed him some step jumps, going back and forth as to whether or not to wait until his baseball season is over to introduce them.