Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    archernater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Skinny to Buff in 2 months

I,m tired of being skinny, I eat loads every day but have never put on any weight.
    Hight: 6ft
    Weight: 10.5 stone

Im looking for you help to build a fitness program for me, I wont to become more toned and gain as much weight a possible. I have enough time to work out for 2 hours a day. I don't mind taking food supplements but I'm not interested in roids.

momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000)
    One gallon of milk a day + good-quality meals (high in complex carbs & protein) + progressive strength increases = hardgainer no longer.
    Look into Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe - excellent explanations of the lifts and it gives a good basic strength-building program in the back.

gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by archernater View Post
    I,m tired of being skinny, I eat loads every day but have never put on any weight.
    Hight: 6ft
    Weight: 10.5 stone

Im looking for you help to build a fitness program for me, I wont to become more toned and gain as much weight a possible. I have enough time to work out for 2 hours a day. I don't mind taking food supplements but I'm not interested in roids.
    First of all, you don't need to workout 2 hrs. a day. That would probably be too much.

If you can seems to put on any weight, try weight gainers. I've never used that stuff myself, but the people I know that have used it seems to think highly of it.

J-Mak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) J-Mak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) J-Mak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) J-Mak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by momofo View Post
    One gallon of milk a day + good-quality meals (high in complex carbs & protein) + progressive strength increases = hardgainer no longer.
    Look into Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe - excellent explanations of the lifts and it gives a good basic strength-building program in the back.
    One Gallon?
    Thats approx. 3.7 litres.
    I buy milk in 3 litres, (Aus)
    I couldn't imagine anyone going through one of those a day.
    I couldn't imagine anyone affording 7 cartons a week.

thereaperman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thereaperman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thereaperman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thereaperman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thereaperman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thereaperman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    not a fan of starting strength.. as it is for strength (not muscle mass).. plus how you do a routine that doesn't have isolation moves for your arms... its lame...

do a 3 day on/1 day off routine... try something like this..

chest/tri
    back/bi
    shoulders/legs
    day off
    repeat

Bourn3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bourn3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bourn3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by thereaperman View Post
    not a fan of starting strength.. as it is for strength (not muscle mass).. plus how you do a routine that doesn't have isolation moves for your arms... its lame...

do a 3 day on/1 day off routine... try something like this..

chest/tri
    back/bi
    shoulders/legs
    day off
    repeat
    Starting strength is perfect if you are a beginner and can help if you didn't train properly before. You need to gain strength anyway when you start and if you eat properly, you WILL GAIN mass. I know I did when I started. Most people are just pussies that can deadlift or squat.

And to the topic poster. You are not eating enough.

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    First thing you need to do is this : get some realistic expectations about what you're getting into. You don't don't go from 'skinny to buff' in 2 months Im afraid unless you are VERY genetically gifted. For most people, it'll take two years to get genuinely 'buff' and about a year to get in 'good shape'. In reality you can expect to gain about 3lb a month with about 2lb of that being muscle and 1lb being fat. That's the BEST most people can hope for and will give you a more realistic framework for thinking about what you wanna do and whether you're willing to put the time and effort needed to to do it.

Secondly, understand that you have to get STRONG to get buff. 70% of people just don't seem to understand that. They think that you can get buff squatting 190lb if you find the right, magical program and combo of exercises that hits every muscle from the right number of 'angles'. Doesn't happen. No, training for strength and training for size aren't identical pursuits and strength and size don't exactly correlate between individuals, but understand that for YOU to get bigger YOU have to get allot stronger.

The actual program you use to do that isn't that important. Just chose a proven one. I would personally recommend Starting strength, but as long as you focus on progression on compound lifts anything will do.
    Last edited by Hut*Hut; 04-19-2009 at 12:12 PM.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by J-Mak View Post
    One Gallon?
    start at around a half gallon and eventually you'll be able to pack away a gallon.

and yes, i've done it plenty of times, gone through a gallon a day.
    my journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1201781

manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

hi im a rookie in lifting im going with this workout

From the start i have focusing on training correct and getting stronger than trying to lift a ton, mostly to prevent injurie anf instead getting stronger.

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/mass...ym_workout.htm
    workoutprogram #3. resting 45-60 sec between reps. and i changed the reps to 10-12

As warmup i'm jogging for 15-20 min do 3 sets of pushup's 10 reps-

I have a bench with incline but i doesnt allow me too squat and i know that's bad because the exercise i s that important so only going with dumbbells and barbell. Im looking for a new bench with that feature!!!!!

I know it says massprogram,but the main reason why i chose the program is that i can train at home......kinda tough finding the time and money for the gym with house wife and 4 kids.

Now the question is the program fit to also getting stronger or mostly gaining mass?

Q # 2 could anyone suggest another program loooking like this that u can do at home?

i have tried to browse the site but it truly is a jungle of programs all looking interesting and good............for a rookie

thx if anyone have some answers for me
    Last edited by manONfire; 04-19-2009 at 01:05 PM.

disorder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    step 1 - eat more
    step 2 - do squats

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

read this

i just started this program less than two months ago and ive gained 15 lbs and had noticeable strength and energy increases

i eat 4000 calories a day, 200+g protein, 1.5 gal of water in addition to other drinks, and ive only started using protein/gainer shakes about 5 days ago

then again, im a beginner too, so what is working for me might not be the same for you... im not experienced enough to suggest alternatives, but hey, give it a shot haha

fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by momofo View Post
    Good advice

thereaperman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thereaperman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thereaperman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thereaperman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thereaperman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thereaperman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    1 gallon of milk = NOT good advice..

in fact.. thats f*ckin gross if you ask me... there are much better ways to eat and get your protein and all that good stuff without doing that to yourself!

smallrthanu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would suggest taking a weight gainer ON TOP of what you are already eating.

I have an 800 calorie shake in the morning and before I go to bed. When I first added these, I shot up 8 pounds in two weeks, with pretty much ALL of it being muscle. It was awesome and freaky at the same time.

zarkongcw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm doing Rippetoe's Starting Strength and I am 6 weeks into it and have gained 21Lbs so far and i still see my abs so its mostly muscle! Yeah i know its not that good for arms, but this routine will benefit you the most starting out... its what you should start out with.... hands down!

I eat 3500-4000 cals a day mostly good foods, but i cheat 1-2 times a week and eat a couple pizzas(cant live without lol)

Supplements:
    100% whey
    fish oils
    multivitamin

From one skinny guy to another i suggest you try this routine for about 3 weeks and see if you are going to like it(because whether you like a routine or not makes a major difference!).. they have some really good posts on the routine to help get you started just type in Rippetoe or Starting Strength under the search.

If ppl say this routine sux then its because they are not beginners! and need more attention to single muscle groups, and you will need this too....... LATER ON!

hope this helps PM me if you need some help with anything i will do my best!

J-Mak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) J-Mak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) J-Mak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) J-Mak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by thereaperman View Post
    not a fan of starting strength.. as it is for strength (not muscle mass)..
    Is this true?
    Im going for Muscle Mass,
    and im doing this routine.

Someone mentioned that it does add muscle mass, Anyone got more info on this?

zarkongcw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    its good for both, and before you can get mass you need strength

Smile

Thanks for all your help guys.
    As I am a beginner I think I'll try out that 'Starting Strength' routine that was suggested.

And by the sounds of it, I need way more protein and calories per day than usual. I don't fancy drinking a gallon of milk a day, so what should I try and achieve diet wise ?

Would three good meals a day and a couple of protein shakes work or do think will need weight gainers too ?

cheers guys.

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Is this true?
    Im going for Muscle Mass,
    and im doing this routine.

Someone mentioned that it does add muscle mass, Anyone got more info on this?
    It's designed for strength yet it consistently puts more muscle mass on newbs than any 'mass program'. Tells you something about the usefulness of distinguishing between 'mass programs' & 'strength programs' for newbs and intermediates, me thinks.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    One Gallon?
    I've done 2 gallons per day in the past, I'm sure you can handle 1 once you get used to it. Milk is one of the cheapest sources of food in terms of protein/calories per cent.

I advise anyone who is underweight and not lactose intolerant to drink a gallon of whole milk per day, lifters have been doing this for over 50 years, it's tried and tested and produces results. There is no food out there that can rival milk for adding weight to skinny guys, it has high quality protein, it's extremely insulinogenic, has a high calorie density, has every vitamin and mineral that is required from food, and most of all it's easy as hell to drink, no cooking or preperation needed.

Powerlifting and milk built 80% of my muscle mass. I literally lived on milk for 3-4 years, didn't touch any other food besides the rare occasion, just drank as much milk as I could each day and trained for strength. Paul Anderson followed a similar approach, he basically just squatted and drank milk throughout the day.
    Last edited by Kelei; 04-20-2009 at 04:08 AM.

Originally Posted by archernater View Post
    Thanks for all your help guys.
    As I am a beginner I think I'll try out that 'Starting Strength' routine that was suggested.

And by the sounds of it, I need way more protein and calories per day than usual. I don't fancy drinking a gallon of milk a day, so what should I try and achieve diet wise ?

Would three good meals a day and a couple of protein shakes work or do think will need weight gainers too ?

cheers guys.
    you don't have to drink a whole gallon. Just start drinking as much milk as you feel you can handle on top of your diet. Protein shakes are good as are chicken, red meet, canned tuna, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, nuts, beans, etc.

'Weight gainers' are ****ing ****, avoid. Just pure sugar.

scottgoreuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    but watch out with milk as if you have ever suffered from spots / acne

it WILL bring acne back out and you WILL get worse skin as you drink more.

Talking

Originally Posted by Hut*Hut View Post
    you don't have to drink a whole gallon. Just start drinking as much milk as you feel you can handle on top of your diet. Protein shakes are good as are chicken, red meet, canned tuna, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, nuts, beans, etc.

'Weight gainers' are ****ing ****, avoid. Just pure sugar.
    Thanks for the advice man, what protein shakes would you recommend?

Originally Posted by scottgoreuk View Post
    but watch out with milk as if you have ever suffered from spots / acne

it WILL bring acne back out and you WILL get worse skin as you drink more.
    Really I don't want any of the acne **** again, how much milk would cause acne?

depends on the person but just a pint a day can start giving you spot problems

depends on the person but just a pint a day can start giving you spot problems
    you probably have an allergy to milk. doesn't mean he will.

no i don't, i dont have the problem i have a lot of friends who do.

if you do a search on google something like milk causing acne

you will find out the ingredients in milk that bring out the spots! and alot more information that i cannot give

momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Kelei View Post
    I've done 2 gallons per day in the past,
    2 gallons?! You sir, are an animal!
    (I meant that in a good way).

I'd rep you for that very true and accurate post but my rep count doesn't do anything right now. It's the thought that counts right?

no i don't, i dont have the problem i have a lot of friends who do.

if you do a search on google something like milk causing acne

you will find out the ingredients in milk that bring out the spots! and alot more information that i cannot give
    I've done a gallon of milk a day and it never caused me acne. It did however cause weight gain and helped facilitate strength increases.

kevin_titus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevin_titus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

lol

Drinking a gallon of milk a day is just out right retarded...

Especially if you drink non-organic milk....you are doing more harm than good.

I put on 25lbs of weight in about 12 months. 20lbs was muscle

All I did was up my cals by 1000 per day over what I was eating, and consumed my bodyweight in grams of protein (pro-complex).

This was back in 03-04 when my diet was garbage...

I started over after 2 yrs out of the gym, a lil over a month ago. I have put 6lbs on in 4 weeks so far..my shoulders are blowing up! All I can say is "muscle memory" aint no punk...I've made some gains quickly over the last few weeks getting back into the gym.

I'm doing a 5 day slip now. When I put on my 25lbs, I was doing a 3 day split with heavy and light days....

Stick to it and the muscle will stick to you.
    Last edited by kevin_titus; 04-20-2009 at 08:51 AM.
    "without no struggle, you make no progress..."

Originally Posted by kevin_titus View Post
    Drinking a gallon of milk a day is just out right retarded...
    + 100

There is no way that can be healthy.. plus a waste