Thread: knee pain

want to look good naked sublimelaxer's Avatar
    sublimelaxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sublimelaxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sublimelaxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

knee pain

pain underneath kneecap in the bone. i have oshgood schlatters (sp?) a few years back and feels very similar to that. I also have some discomfort on the inner and outer sides of my leg at the knee so if my knee looked like this
    outside of knee -->| () |<-- inside of knee. It isnt a sharp pain just a dull ache that intensifies randomly. 99% of the time it doesnt hurt til after a workout. every once in a while something will pop and it doesnt hurt but for a few strides it will limit range of motion then return to normal

i have cut back my leg days sufficiently and plan to continue to do so until it subsides. is there anything else that can be done?

i also noticed pain started when i started stretching regularly...coincidence?
    Goals:
    Gain mass while remaining lean(immediate)
    Cut at 180-190(long term)

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do you have very tight muscles? Do you regularly stretch?

If not, then you need to.

If you have access to a foam roller I would STRONGLY suggest foam rolling ALL of your muscles. Stretch them all down after you workout, and do some self myofascial release and cross friction massage to loosen up everything in your hips and upper legs.

All of the vastus muscles and rectus femoris are probably tight as well as the iliotibial band and possibly hip flexors.... loosen everything up so that they're not pulling the kneecap into your femur which would cause pain.

ALso, if you have a BIG strength imbalance between your quads and hamstrings then you NEED to start doing more hamstring work. This generally happens if you don't squat ass to grass and only do parallel or only do leg press and no other direct hamstring work.

want to look good naked sublimelaxer's Avatar
    sublimelaxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sublimelaxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sublimelaxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by braindx View Post
    Do you have very tight muscles? Do you regularly stretch?

If not, then you need to.

If you have access to a foam roller I would STRONGLY suggest foam rolling ALL of your muscles. Stretch them all down after you workout, and do some self myofascial release and cross friction massage to loosen up everything in your hips and upper legs.

All of the vastus muscles and rectus femoris are probably tight as well as the iliotibial band and possibly hip flexors.... loosen everything up so that they're not pulling the kneecap into your femur which would cause pain.

ALso, if you have a BIG strength imbalance between your quads and hamstrings then you NEED to start doing more hamstring work. This generally happens if you don't squat ass to grass and only do parallel or only do leg press and no other direct hamstring work.
    I squat past parallel and do deadlifts as well. would that cause an imbalance?

is there anything that can be used in place of foam rollers? i do not have access to them.

as far as stretching i had not stretched at all before about a few weeks ago then started stretching twice a day. everything was active stretching so no bouncing or having someone push me further than i should go. the pain started a few weeks after i started stretching
    Goals:
    Gain mass while remaining lean(immediate)
    Cut at 180-190(long term)

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sublimelaxer View Post
    I squat past parallel and do deadlifts as well. would that cause an imbalance?

is there anything that can be used in place of foam rollers? i do not have access to them.

as far as stretching i had not stretched at all before about a few weeks ago then started stretching twice a day. everything was active stretching so no bouncing or having someone push me further than i should go. the pain started a few weeks after i started stretching
    No, squatting past parallel is actually good. More work for the hammies. Helps keep the quads/hammies balanced.

You can't buy a foam roller at like Walmart for like 20 bucks (probably less)? Errr... well, you can use substitues but you may not like them such as using a tennis ball or a golf/baseball/softball to roll out knots in the muscles.

I strongly doubt it was because you started stretching, unless you have family history of weak ligaments. On the other hand, if you were doing poor stretches then yes, there might be a problem there.

What stretches were you doing?