Regality has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help! I don't know if I'm a novice or intermediate.

Well, I've been lifting seriously since September, however I wasn't paying attention to my diet or taking supplements at all. I was only lifting on machines too...aside from maybe some shrugs and sidebends with dumbells and stuff.

But in February I switched to mainly using free weights and also added creatine and protein to my diet. I did what this employee at GNC told me to do which was take in one scoop of a protein shake (20g) an hour before my workout, then a teaspoon of creatine immediately before. Then after the workout's done, take creatine and protein together.

So I do that and I've been taking about 4-6 eggs a day for extra protein and just try to take in as much meat as possible.

As for my workout...I have no clue what to do really. I've kinda just been doing random stuff. Here's what I did today.

Bench: 135lbs.x8 (4 sets)

Then I did an exercise where you grab a 45lb. plate with both hands in front of you and raise up to your chin. (4 sets of those 15 reps each)

Curls: 80lb.x6 (2 sets), 70lbsx10 (2 sets)

Deadlift: 225lbs.x5 (3 sets)

Dumbell Press: 50lbs. each arm x10 (4 sets)

Lat Pulldown: 130lbsx10 (4 sets)

Leg Press: 360lb.x8 (3 sets)

I did everything in that order too. I've been looking at the novice program..Rippetoe or whatever. It only has 3 exercises a day though. I don't know if I should be considered a novice or not...and 3 exercises is a lot less than what I've been doing. If you guys could give me some advice on leg lifts that'd be great since I haven't been doing much focusing on that stuff....obliques too, they need to get toned

I'm 6'2 205 lbs. I weighed 190 about 2 months ago when I incorporated the creatine and protein and eggs and all that and starting to try to eat more.

Pic:

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You're 100% a novice.

musclerunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclerunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclerunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclerunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclerunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclerunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclerunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclerunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclerunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclerunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclerunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    your 205 pounds?lmfao.im 200 pounds and 3 times the size of you and 6 ft 3.your 205 pounds?rofl

jgil1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgil1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgil1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgil1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgil1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgil1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgil1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgil1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgil1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgil1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jgil1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by musclerunner View Post
    your 205 pounds?lmfao.im 200 pounds and 3 times the size of you and 6 ft 3.your 205 pounds?rofl
    ignore that..

you are a novice though. i would do starting strength, even though it is only 3 lifts per day those lifts work your whole body and you will see solid progress if you follow the routine.
    high school mid-distance runner turned fat turned work in progress

How do I know how long to wait until I can move on from starting strength exercises?

SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Regality View Post
    How do I know how long to wait until I can move on from starting strength exercises?
    Yes, you are a novice.

Dude, you need to build up your strength and drop your BF% before you move away from starting strength.

At 205lbs, if you want to move away from starting strength, you should be able to 1RM (1 rep max):

Bench Press: 200lbs+
    DeadLift: 300lbs+
    Military Press: 140lbs+

Those are from the standard strength tables found here:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

As you can see, you aren't even close to that... don't be impatient .

Originally Posted by SledgeHammer01 View Post
    Yes, you are a novice.

Dude, you need to build up your strength and drop your BF% before you move away from starting strength.

At 205lbs, if you want to move away from starting strength, you should be able to 1RM (1 rep max):

Bench Press: 200lbs+
    DeadLift: 300lbs+
    Military Press: 140lbs+

Those are from the standard strength tables found here:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

As you can see, you aren't even close to that... don't be impatient .
    Well a couple weeks ago I put up 140lbs. 12 times and this calculator online said my 1RM would be 194. I can deadlift 225 5 times but yeah I'm sure I'm a ways off from 300lbs. once. Military Press I've never tried before but I don't think I could do 140lbs. Yeah I have a bit to go but I don't think it's too far away. Maybe after summer's over.

james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    its obvious you haven't read much about the starting strength program or you would know the answer, rippetoe tells you. buy the book or at least read the sticky

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well a couple weeks ago I put up 140lbs. 12 times and this calculator online said my 1RM would be 194. I can deadlift 225 5 times but yeah I'm sure I'm a ways off from 300lbs. once. Military Press I've never tried before but I don't think I could do 140lbs. Yeah I have a bit to go but I don't think it's too far away. Maybe after summer's over.
    Forget using numbers to tell you when you're no longer a novice, and forget using an online calculator to give you an accurate 1RM based on a 12RM. Your 1RM's are the max lifts you've done for 1 rep, plain and simple. Calculating a 1RM from a 2 or 3RM is often in the ballpark - trying to figure it from a 12RM is useless.

Anyway, if you follow Starting Strength, you can consider yourself "no longer a novice" when you can no longer add weight to the bar every workout, assuming you've got everything else in check, i.e. gaining body weight, getting enough rest, tried increasing weight in small fractions (as low as 1lb at a time), reset one or more lifts a few times, etc. When you're at that point, you look at an either the "advanced novice" version of SS, or some kind of intermediate program.

SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Like another poster said... don't go by those calculators, they are useless. Unless you actually put it up for 1RM, thats not your 1RM . Just keep at it man. Don't get too eager to move to more advanced routines or you will hurt your progress.

chuckynoris300 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chuckynoris300 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chuckynoris300 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chuckynoris300 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chuckynoris300 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by jgil1919 View Post
    ignore that..

you are a novice though. i would do starting strength, even though it is only 3 lifts per day those lifts work your whole body and you will see solid progress if you follow the routine.
    yeah ok, at least he's trying. his numbers looked good, so why do you care. he ain't no novice, to be average you would have to bench about 120 and curl at least 30 pounds. he is curling 70 or 80 pounds, why would he be a novice. you're messed up to think he's a novice, where do you go saying **** like that to him, i would've flipped out if you said that about me haha.